• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Majora's Mask 3DS vs N64 side by side graphics comparison

Neiteio

That is the scariest looking creature possible.
I love how the eye in his mouth is looking at Link while the fish-face, proper, continues to stare straight ahead. Very unnerving. :)

EDIT: Chadboban's lovely gifs at the top of the screen where we can all easily enjoy them:

qgoqtv.gif

oxuihi.gif

zeemumu

So what's going on with the new 3ds xl version again? Are they just gone forever or wI'll they be sending a 2nd shipment. They did for Australia but what about the states?

But in the original artwork, the moon looks exactly like the one in the N64 version. But they changed that too and basically the new 3DS moon face looks nothing like the original artwork. So what gives? Should we hold the original artwork like the "correct" one or not? I'm confused.

Can you show the original artwork for the moon?

Edit: Honest question. Couldn't find it.

Rich!

I wanted some of the original artwork with the face on it. I don't think there's any, so it's not a valid comparison with Goht's face.

My point is that the original artwork had no face.

Only one promotional piece of artwork shows the moon's face, and that's the shot of Clocktown that uses the design for the moon based on the game assets and was created for the PAL/NTSC releases.

You aren't going to find a comparison because like I said, the face was a very late addition.

Rich!

Yep. That's why he can't really say that the moon in the N64 is closer to the original artwork, if in the original artwork the moon had no face at all. We're on the same page here lol.

Heh yeah, excellent. If we were going by artwork, the moon should look like this:

5195-npanmqmquq.jpg

Looks much better than the OoT remaster. But at the same time, I kinda prefer the lower contrast and hazy light fog of the original N64 opening over the new 3DS update.

All this talk about Majora's Mask made me finally start a Master Quest file on OoT3D. Gonna try to 100% too!

With all the changes and additions to MM3D, I'm optimistic we'll be seeing some huge additions to the game. I'm almost sure there will be a Hero Mode, but I'm expecting something bigger.

Neiteio

All this talk about Majora's Mask made me finally start a Master Quest file on OoT3D. Gonna try to 100% too!

With all the changes and additions to MM3D, I'm optimistic we'll be seeing some huge additions to the game. I'm almost sure there will be a Hero Mode, but I'm expecting something bigger.
If there was something like that, I think they would already be talking about it.

Rich!

If there was something like that, I think they would already be talking about it.

Actually...that's not like Nintendo.

Remember, they forced journalists by embargo to not speak a word about any of the post-game content of sm3dl and sm3dw which were effectively half the game.

They would hide something like fierce deity mode from us until release.

Boogybro

No. You really shouldnt.

How is it even an option when the superior 3DS version is out soon? Unless you enjoy regular dips past 10fps and a blurry, shitty IQ.

Just play the 3DS version.

I swear this is just like when people refused to move on from pan and scan vhs to 16:9 dvd, its mind boggling.

I think it's more mind boggling that you're telling him not to play a classic game, new version being out soon or not.

I think it's more mind boggling that you're telling him not to play a classic game, new version being out soon or not.

If I had never played MM I'd prefer the new one with better graphics and smoother frame rate. MM on n64 had a ton of frame dips and slowdowns. still was a great game, but the better version is out in a month.

Ein Bear

Chalk me up as someone who prefers the N64 version. Though I felt the same way about Ocarina of Time 3D too - it was fun to play through once for the novelty of seeing the new visuals, but I always go back to the N64 original for re-plays.

I'm not really a fan of remakes in general really, I sort of see them as being similar to the Special Editions of the Star Wars films. Games are a product of their time, and if you start to mess around with trying to 'improve' their visuals and gameplay, you lose something from the original experience.

I'm a much bigger fan of the HD Remaster route, where they just re-render the original assets and gameplay at a higher resolution/framerate.

I'm looking forward to playing through MM3D and seeing the changes they've made, but I can't see it replacing the N64 version in my mind.

Blarg

Neo Member
No. You really shouldnt.

How is it even an option when the superior 3DS version is out soon? Unless you enjoy regular dips past 10fps and a blurry, shitty IQ.

Just play the 3DS version.

I swear this is just like when people refused to move on from pan and scan vhs to 16:9 dvd, its mind boggling.

It's not the technology I have a problem with, but rather the art style deviates too far from the original IMO.

As for performance, I have it on VC and emulators and both are decent enough.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to convince people not to buy it on 3DS or anything. I'm just a bit disappointed in how it looks.

Chalk me up as someone who prefers the N64 version. Though I felt the same way about Ocarina of Time 3D too - it was fun to play through once for the novelty of seeing the new visuals, but I always go back to the N64 original for re-plays.

I'm not really a fan of remakes in general really, I sort of see them as being similar to the Special Editions of the Star Wars films. Games are a product of their time, and if you start to mess around with trying to 'improve' their visuals and gameplay, you lose something from the original experience.

I'm a much bigger fan of the HD Remaster route, where they just re-render the original assets and gameplay at a higher resolution/framerate.

I'm looking forward to playing through MM3D and seeing the changes they've made, but I can't see it replacing the N64 version in my mind.

This guy said it better than I could. Agreed 100%.

Neiteio

But Nintendo embargo all of their post-game secrets from the press nowadays.
Not with remakes of Zelda games. They talked up the remixed MQ in OoT3D and the Hero Mode in TWWHD before those games came out. With remakes, in general, they talk up all the new features (including unlockable ones) to sell the game to people who already played them.

I mean, I -hope- you're right, but for the above reasons, I'm not expecting anything beyond what we already know. And honestly, what we already know is more than enough for me. This is possibly my favorite game ever, and it looks glorious on 3DS.

Boogybro

If I had never played MM I'd prefer the new one with better graphics and smoother frame rate. MM on n64 had a ton of frame dips and slowdowns. still was a great game, but the better version is out in a month.

Well of course. But it's a great game despite all it's technical problems by todays standards. A newer version being out in a month, many years later isn't going to change that.

I just thought it weird that someone having an urge to play something as good as Majora's Mask, being told not to do it. Made no sense to me.

Eh, I think the OoT remake for 3DS is more loyal to concept art, and it looks the same for MM. I prefer it like that because then the creators can make the game closer to how they imagined it, rather than what they were limited to because of old hardware.

Rich!

Its already posted a few pages ago

Edit: here

Its cropped but you can clearly see that this is the N64 moon face.

Irrelevant. That artwork was, as I stated before, produced after the JP release and was based on the ingame assets, not the other way round. All preproduction and concept artwork of the moon has no face at all.

How does it matter what was originally intended or not? New moon looks like a bignosed troll. :D Old moon looks like it's on some dangerous drugs! I prefer the latter.

Let's be fair – artwork discussion aside – Majora's Mask for N64 was made the way it was and that's what people played and remember. There is a little shift in art direction and execution compared to the original game. Some old fans like me have some gripes with some of the details but I'll always have the chance to go back to the original for the "classic" experience.

It's just harmless nitpicking because these elements kinda stand out in the first videos. Nobody has even played it yet... :D

A new generation of gamers will play MM for the first time now and remember the game for the remake only. That's ok!

While I really want to play the new version of Majora's, I can't help but feel like some of the creepy/unsettling look/feeling of the original hasn't translated over too well. Hm. The superior frame rate is what I'm going to appreciate most.

DVCY201

It's not like we live in a world where we have to pick one or the other. I'm proudly displaying the 3DS version right next to my original Majora's Mask N64 cartridge on my bookshelf. I'll treasure both versions, artistic differences be damned, it's a great game no matter what and I am so excited.

MCN

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Aonuma knows what the original game was intended to look like more than anyone on NeoGAF. On account of him being the one who made it.

Greenzxy

How does it matter what was originally intended or not?

Indeed, I see people are going in circles on the comment made on artistic intentions, but that's besides the point. Yea, MM's mask looks great and borrows well from concept art, but that doesn't change the fact that the eerie feeling I get from the N64 game isn't as it once was in the 3DS game.
That fan made MM's Mask tease for instance, Even if it doesn't match it completely, I feel is more in-tune with the N64's spirit while still having upgraded graphics, compared to the 3DS one.
Zelda-Majors-Mask-2012-3-900x506.jpg

35e88a1596563f4b06b97b792a53d3fd.png

Polygonal and particle effects aside. If the atmosphere of the 3DS version looked like that at a squinting distance I wouldn't be complaining.

Rich!

So, I read on this page or the last that Nintendo simply releasing a barebones HD upres retaining all of the original graphics would have been a preferable option?

If that had happened, Nintendo would have been called lazy, it would have been seen as a cash grab and it would have gone against the effort they have proven to put into these titles as OOT3D shows.

I fully predict MM3D will be incredibly well received. They've made some great changes to make it more accessible without compromising the key design formula of the game, it looks fantastic as a 3DS title and it's having a really big marketing push, more than OOT3D ever got. And under all of that, it is a genuinely stunning game, possibly the best Nintendo have ever made.

Yet, people are complaining about a discrepancy in fog and other such silly details that really don't mean anything. Typical internet.

Greenzxy

So, I read on this page or the last that Nintendo simply releasing a barebones HD upres retaining all of the original graphics would have been a preferable option?

If that had happened, Nintendo would have been called lazy, it would have been seen as a cash grab and it would have gone against the effort they have proven to put into these titles as OOT3D shows.

I fully predict MM3D will be incredibly well received. They've made some great changes to make it more accessible without compromising the key design formula of the game, it looks fantastic as a 3DS title and it's having a really big marketing push, more than OOT3D ever got. And under all of that, it is a genuinely stunning game, possibly the best Nintendo have ever made.

Yet, people are complaining about a discrepancy in fog and other such silly details that really don't mean anything. Typical internet.

Not sure why you're resorting to ad hominem. No one's downing on the 3DS remake, we're just discussing subjective differences in taste between the two versions. Objectively, we can agree visually and mechanically this looks like the best MM's to date.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Objectively, we can agree visually and mechanically this looks like the best MM's to date.

I don't think certain people in here would agree with this objectively. Thus the heated debate.

Besides, "best" and "objective" are not really words that usually go together. One's a value judgement, one's a depiction of facts.

Lynd7

Overall I'd say things look better. Clock town looks more detailed etc, even with a slightly more saturated look. Inside the clock tower actually seems darker and more atmospheric than the N64. In comparison, the N64 seems more lit than I remember, more flat lighting.

Edzi

Do any of you guys have some poster sized high quality official artwork that's from the original game? (NOT art from the 3ds version) It seems like most of the nicely composed and large pictures out there are using the new artwork.

Dizzy

Banned
On the subject of graphics, I'm glad Nintendo has done it up a bit but its a shame it still looks quite rough. Especially some of the textures.

Its to be expected though from 3DS, they were never going to give us a Wii U remake.

I do remember being quite impressed wih MM back on N64. So its a shame its not quite the looker it could have been on a more capable system.

anaron

You articulated pretty much how I feel

Edzi

After reading your post, I realized that this is exactly how I feel too. Well said.

Top Bottom