• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Tennis Open screens + features revealed

OMG Aero

Oh hey, Luma is actually a playable character. I totally thought they were going to cop out and just have Luma as an opponent in the Galaxy minigame and not someone you can actually pick.

This makes the inevitable lack of Rosalina not as bad.

dreamfall

Pre-ordered this months ago, but the lack of an RPG-lite mode is depressing. I love the gameplay in almost all Mario Tennis titles (not the Wii edition though, could've been so amazing :/), and I was hoping for a Camelot inspired return to the GBC masterpiece. Alas, I'm more than excited to have some great online matches and other quirky match types.

BD1

Banned
I could care less about RPG mode, I am so pumped for this game. Online Mario Tennis <3

There are also some cool-looking new modes. Take my money.

Unlocking characters through QR codes is kinda cool. I really hope Toadette is in this one, she's been getting benched too much lately.

Beth Cyra

Will buy the game for Boo and Luma.

Will be pissed everytime I see one of the Babies and the fact they got in over Rosalina.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm not a pedophile, sorry.

1DyfD.png

Joking XD

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I could care less about RPG mode, I am so pumped for this game. Online Mario Tennis <3

There are also some cool-looking new modes. Take my money.
RPG mode was essential at a time when there was no online. Now it would mostly be a nice bonus / nostalgia pleasure.

The core element to the 3DS game is to win new attributes, find your play style and be the best player online.
I like this focus, I just wish online will be as smooth as in Mario Kart.

Rarutos

Really hope those aren't the only unlockable characters. The more the merrier! I personally was hoping for Koopa. :(

The RPG mode in the handheld games has always been boring garbage. Camelot should steal the progression system from the Hot Shots games in favor of a bloated and slow RPG mode. Camelot isn't even good at making actual RPGs, so I don't know why people are clamoring for it to ruin a sports game with some half-assed crap mode.

Oxn

The RPG mode in the handheld games has always been boring garbage. Camelot should steal the progression system from the Hot Shots games in favor of a bloated and slow RPG mode. Camelot isn't even good at making actual RPGs, so I don't know why people are clamoring for it to ruin a sports game with some half-assed crap mode.

This right here.

MTO will be awesome since it wont have RPG mode to slow the action down.

I had no interest in a 3DS until this game was announced. Well that and the sexy Purple 3DS.

That and I never thought Camelot's little human characters had any business in a Mario game. Miis are stretching it, but at least they're Nintendo's and I get to make them.

what happens in hot shots games?

Randdalf

That classic Camelot sports game font. Day one.

Camelot isn't even good at making actual RPGs

Quite strongly disagree with you there. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn may have been a let down, but the previous two were quite frankly fantastic. The two GBA sports RPGs were great as well, never played anything like them really.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The rackets you play with get better, and you earn more things throughout. For example flat serve, air shots etc. Also a huge part of it is customizing your character in whatever you want, pretty nice time waster actually

The Hot Shots system is nothing special IMO. What is special is the actual tennis you can play however. It's amazing. It puts pretty much all other tennis games to shame that aren't trying to be actual simulators. Hot Shots Tennis on the hardest levels produces craaazy results. The shots you see, the detail they put on the characters in the way they hits certain balls it's just so thought out. I personally believe this Mario Tennis won't hold a candle against the PSP HST but I hope they took some notes from it at the very least

edit, I'll even go so far to say that the accuracy in HST is so good that real life tennis players on high levels can actually play against the CPU to train for themselves. Hell, pro players probably could

Truth101

Banned

Golden Sun games are great. Some of the best handheld RPGs in existence.

zroid

Banned
This might be the most hyped I've been for a game that I don't plan to get on day 1. Effing Diablo III ruining my finances two weeks earlier!

The more you use a specific character, the better they get. You can also buy new equipment and outfits with better stats. Very simple. It sounds like there's maybe something like that with the Miis in this game, so that's good.

Quite strongly disagree with you there. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn may have been a let down, but the previous two were quite frankly fantastic. The two GBA sports RPGs were great as well, never played anything like them really.

I was thinking of the first Golden Sun game specifically. The characters just never stop talking and the combat system is the antithesis of fun. I'm surprised that you said that you've never played anything like them before because they're super generic.

zroid

Banned
I was thinking of the first Golden Sun game specifically. The characters just never stop talking and the combat system is the antithesis of fun. I'm surprised that you said that you've never played anything like them before because they're super generic.

Really? The Djinn system and the way the dungeons' puzzles incorporate ability usage to manipulate the environment always seemed really unique to me. I don't think I've ever played another RPG with such well-designed puzzles, but my pre-teen memory of it isn't exactly fresh.

The rackets you play with get better, and you earn more things throughout. For example flat serve, air shots etc. Also a huge part of it is customizing your character in whatever you want, pretty nice time waster actually

The Hot Shots system is nothing special IMO. What is special is the actual tennis you can play however. It's amazing. It puts pretty much all other tennis games to shame that aren't trying to be actual simulators. Hot Shots Tennis on the hardest levels produces craaazy results. The shots you see, the detail they put on the characters in the way they hits certain balls it's just so thought out. I personally believe this Mario Tennis won't hold a candle against the PSP HST but I hope they took some notes from it at the very least

edit, I'll even go so far to say that the accuracy in HST is so good that real life tennis players on high levels can actually play against the CPU to train for themselves. Hell, pro players probably could

tennis... oh is this the psp game with the exploits? Think it's back on psn... might give it a ... shot.

Top Bottom