• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Tennis Open screens + features revealed

i cry everytime.

RPG mode would have been a DAY ONE purchase. now, I'll probably wait to pick it up cheaper. Maybe they'll do a Mario Golf 3DS with RPG mode. Mmmmm.

That sounds amazing. The idea of a gold-rpg sounds kind of hilariously adorable. Throw in Mario's wacky charm when it comes to RPGs, and that'd be a day one purchase for me.

Also, wasn't there a mario-golf-rpg on Gameboy? Too bad it wasn't an ambassador game...

Effect

I've honestly never played a Mario Tennis game. Kinda hesitant to get this. There is nothing else coming on the system until E3 it seems outside of this an Heroes or Ruin that I'm interested in. If I get it I'll just wait for Amazon to deliver it and not rush out to the store on Sunday to get it. Which is rare when I buy a Nintendo game. I usually don't like to wait.

udivision

I've honestly never played a Mario Tennis game. Kinda hesitant to get this. There is nothing else coming on the system until E3 it seems outside of this an Heroes or Ruin that I'm interested in. If I get it I'll just wait for Amazon to deliver it and not rush out to the store on Sunday to get it. Which is rare when I buy a Nintendo game. I usually don't like to wait.

Get Power Tennis or Mario Tennis on the VC if you want a demo, basically.

Ketch

Day 1.. May 20th! that's so soon. I really like how Nintendo doesn't make me wait like 2 frickin years after they announce something.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I don't know what everyone is whining about. Do none of you have friends you can play with? My coworkers and I are picking this shit up, and we're gonna play the hell out of it. Download play means that we'll be rotating between 6 or 7 of us everyday at lunch.

That sounds amazing. The idea of a gold-rpg sounds kind of hilariously adorable. Throw in Mario's wacky charm when it comes to RPGs, and that'd be a day one purchase for me.

Also, wasn't there a mario-golf-rpg on Gameboy? Too bad it wasn't an ambassador game...

Mario Golf Advance Tour

hatchx

Banned
I don't know what everyone is whining about. Do none of you have friends you can play with? My coworkers and I are picking this shit up, and we're gonna play the hell out of it. Download play means that we'll be rotating between 6 or 7 of us everyday at lunch.

I wish I had your job.

Truth101

Banned
Ahhh so it's like London Olympics 3DS then... you can upload and download scores and stuff.

But no online matches :(

61VV09j6hTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

See the Nintendo Network logo

Read the actual game website

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions next time.

bluemax

Banned
That classic Camelot sports game font. Day one.

Quite strongly disagree with you there. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn may have been a let down, but the previous two were quite frankly fantastic. The two GBA sports RPGs were great as well, never played anything like them really.

Beyond the Beyond Advance was garbage, lets not kid ourselves.

Also lulz at "I'll buy at $20", so basically you'll never buy it because it'll never drop that cheap.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Some new gameplay videos:

Luigi vs. Bowser Jr.

Diddy Kong vs. Bowser

These might be worth a new thread, I'm not sure. Someone else can feel free to make it if so.

Anyway, this game seems to be flying under the radar a bit. I went to see if Amazon was offering their $.99 release date shipping for it (they're not) and it was ranked something like 630 in the video games category; seems pretty low for something coming out in two weeks.

Is Mario Tennis Open coinciding with the debut of Nintendo Network?

Beyond the Beyond Advance was garbage, lets not kid ourselves.

Also lulz at "I'll buy at $20", so basically you'll never buy it because it'll never drop that cheap.

I don't think Nintendo has had players choice games for a handheld since GBA. I know they finally brought back players choice last year on the Wii, but it took what, 5 years for that to finally happen?

Tookay

Some new gameplay videos:

Luigi vs. Bowser Jr.

Diddy Kong vs. Bowser

These might be worth a new thread, I'm not sure. Someone else can feel free to make it if so.

Anyway, this game seems to be flying under the radar a bit. I went to see if Amazon was offering their $.99 release date shipping for it (they're not) and it was ranked something like 630 in the video games category; seems pretty low for something coming out in two weeks.

It looks like the IGN player is incapable of aiming the ball anywhere but the center of the court.

yeah really undecided on these videos... I mean either the gameplay system does not ALLOW for angled shots or the player quite simply SUCKS!

what's with the hitting back and forth? someone must not have understood the concept of tennis... you're supposed to hit it in a spot the other player can NOT reach to make the point!

Tookay

yeah really undecided on these videos... I mean either the gameplay system does not ALLOW for angled shots or the player quite simply SUCKS!

what's with the hitting back and forth? someone must not have understood the concept of tennis... you're supposed to hit it in a spot the other player can NOT reach to make the point!

Exactly, it's hard to get a feel for the depth or strategy to the game because I'm not sure if it's the player's fault or the game's. Right now it looks boring, but a good player could change all that.

Just so you know, what you actually posted is ambiguous. Other official info makes it clearer - and apparently you can only play online multiplayer in your region, i.e, for me I can only ever compete against other Aussies.

Pretty sure you can still play against anyone on your friend list.

anddo0

I love HS Tennis on PSP (not playable on Vita :( )

Anyway, will this have any type of character growth?
I'll still get it if the core gameplay is good.

BowieZ

Banned
Pretty sure you can still play against anyone on your friend list.
Haha yeah, i just read about that elsewhere, but it really isn't clear. It's still speculation at this stage. Of course, it would be nonsense not to include that kinda basic online multiplayer functionality, but... you never know.

Datschge

Most Tennis games (like previous Mario Tennis games) make it relatively easy to hit the ball straight to the opponent but harder to tweak the positioning toward the ball to make more angled shots. The videos so far look very tame both from player ability as well as AI difficulty so far. I'll just assume they are from early in the game.

Only using Miis.

I'm sure this is good, but I'll be passing, because there's only so much you can do with a tennis game. Every match is the same thing.

I'm unsure how much an RPG mode would help, as I haven't played the GBC or GBA versions of Mario Tennis. I did play the GBC version of Mario Golf though, and I did adore the RPG mode in that, but again, when you're in an actual tennis match, I'd imagine it's still mostly the same thing over and over.

Give me a 3DS Mario Golf game, however, and I'll be there on day one. I adore the Mario Golf series, with or without RPG mode.

With previous Nintendo systems, we've always got Mario Golf before Mario Tennis. I'm disappointed that wasn't the case this time around. I'll be even more disappointed (pissed off) if we don't get one at all.

It looks like the IGN player is incapable of aiming the ball anywhere but the center of the court.
Seriously... I'm not usually one to comment on the skill level of people in game videos but that was just dreadful...

I love HS Tennis on PSP (not playable on Vita :( )

I'll still get it if the core gameplay is good.
I'm in the exact same boat as you and I've been asking the same question for months now. What in the world will the actual SP in this game look like? If it's only gimmicky extra modes and exhibition matches then I will be very disappointed.

And yes, HS Tennis on PSP is incredible!

OMG Aero

I'm in the exact same boat as you and I've been asking the same question for months now. What in the world will the actual SP in this game look like? If it's only gimmicky extra modes and exhibition matches then I will be very disappointed.
It's a tournament mode, just like in the console games.

It's a tournament mode, just like in the console games.
Has there been any coverage of it at all? I've looked at all the threads about the game that I've seen but I'm yet to see a single person actually confirm a tournament mode. Obviously it would be crazy not to have something like that but I honestly haven't seen or heard anything concrete about it.

OMG Aero

Has there been any coverage of it at all? I've looked at all the threads about the game that I've seen but I'm yet to see a single person actually confirm a tournament mode. Obviously it would be crazy not to have something like that but I honestly haven't seen or heard anything concrete about it.
Yes.
For all intents and purposes think of this as exactly like a console Mario Tennis game, but remove the power shots from Power Tennis, add a Mii character that you can customize and add online multiplayer.

Yes.
For all intents and purposes think of this as exactly like a console Mario Tennis game, but remove the power shots from Power Tennis, add a Mii character that you can customize and add online multiplayer.
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for! I have no idea why none of the previews I read mentioned it but thanks for finally putting my concerns to rest.

An RPG mode would of course be ideal but Mario Tennis is much like Mario Kart to me, the core gameplay is so fun that I don't necessarily need a lot of frills to get enjoyment out of the game.

Effect

Are past Mario Tennis games suppose to have the randomness of the Mario Kart games?

Where in no matter how well you race there is always something that could cause someone else to win and the AI will try to do that every time? I've developed a dislike for Mario Kart 7 recently to the point where I've simply stopped playing it because of that game design. Honestly feel Mario Kart Wii was more fair in this regard as far as the recent MK games go. If Mario Tennis Open is at all like that (MK7) then I could very well just take a pass on the game altogether.

bluehat9

Yes.

This is basically all I really wanted, The n64 game some online.

My memory is fuzzy, but didn't the n64 game let you unlock 'star' level players and tournaments for winning the original tournaments with a character? Or did I just play through with every character for the fun of it? Can't really remember.

Top Bottom