• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Marvel Universe group shot/logo

Mafro

The Inhumans' entire history has basically been Marvel trying to make them a big thing and editorial fucking it up repeatedly. They've never had a single long-run ongoing book and they've been around forever.

Thought things were going to change when Marvel announced Inhumanity which basically kicked off their big modern push. That book didn't even get finished.
Wonder how different it would've been if Fraction hadn't left before the book was even out.

mreddie

People keep forgetting this, had they not sold the X-Men film rights, they would not exist right now. They also sold Iron Man, Cap America and Hulk rights as well but got them back.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I love how Marvel keeps wheeling out Black Widow of all characters to the very front because she's pretty much the most prevalent female character they happen to have in their arsenal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People keep forgetting this, had they not sold the X-Men film rights, they would not exist right now. They also sold Iron Man, Cap America and Hulk rights as well but got them back.

I actually like that the rights are split up. Marvel wouldn't release 6 comic book movies a year. A lot of these projects exist because the studios are competing.

Ravelle

All based on their comic versions I see.

Never really was a fan of the whole new Captain marvel and Ms Marvel, would have liked it better if we had classic Ms Marvel Carol fight against Moonstone and have Phyla-Vell as Quasar/Captain Marvel.

All based on their comic versions I see.

Never really was a fan of the whole new Captain marvel and Ms Marvel, would have liked it better if we had classic Ms Marvel Carol fight against Moonstone and have Phyla-Vell as Quasar/Captain Marvel.
Who the hell cares about Carol being Ms Marvel in 2017. That's like saying every time you see Dick Grayson. I prefer him as Robin :p
Yes I avoided when was Batman :p

Mafro

I love how Marvel keeps wheeling out Black Widow of all characters to the very front because she's pretty much the most prevalent female character they happen to have in their arsenal.
Yet they skipped a Black Widow Movie.

It was because Soule could only focus so many people in his book but they needed a book for the Nuhumans plus a returning Crystal.
Wasn't a fan of most of the Nuhumans at all. If they wanted to reintroduce the Inhumans then splitting up Black Bolt and Medusa and concentrating on a new group of characters rather than established ones people already knew something about was totally the wrong way to do things.

I honestly don't care for the character of Black Widow that much. Marvel must regret not establishing a female character on the level of Wonder Woman all those years ago. They should have done it years ago. Shoehorning Captain Marvel or Black Widow into that position hasn't been subtle. I hope Carol works out for them.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I honestly don't care for the character of Black Widow that much. Marvel must regret not establishing a female character on the level of Wonder Woman all those years ago. They should have done it years ago. Shoehorning Captain Marvel or Black Widow into that position hasn't been subtle. I hope Carol works out for them.

I don't think anyone really cares all that much about Black Widow, really. She's a Russian spy without superpowers. Her characterization as a traumatised Soviet agent with trust issues is interesting, but I think the fact that Marvel have had to put up front with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America is rather telling in regards to just how short-supplied Marvel Studios are when it comes with viable female heroes to work with, when they don't have access to either the Fantastic Four or the X-Men.

Captain Marvel can't come soon enough.

Ravelle

Looks like they couldn't decide if they wanted the comic version or the movie version and ended up at some kind of non-commital She-Hulkish in-between.

Even comics Gomora changed quite a bit down the line.

How she started out in Anihilation:
Ronan+issue+1+001.jpg

Gamorah now.

c9f723297dbf17dbf56298b3865779bd--gamora-marvel-gamora-comics.jpg

I haven't ready any Guardians books since Annihlation and the Dan Abnett books because it seems like the comics version are turning in to the movie versions.

She used to be one of the deadliest assassins in the universe and was a bit neutral and distant towards others, not frowning on backstabbing etc, now it's all "We're a family!"

At least they kept the area around her eyes the same color, thought the entire green look looked a bit uninspired.

I see Marvel is going out of there to make audiences remember any of the mutants or the four. Inhumans is the way of the future of course.

I haven't read comics in a while- I assume the X-Men comics aren't being promoted because Disney/Marvel doesn't own the theatrical rights. How are the "X" comics selling these days?

The X-comics are among Marvel's best selling right now. Comics sales are dwindling in general though, so it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Ravelle

I see Marvel is going out of there to make audiences remember any of the mutants or the four. Inhumans is the way of the future of course.

The X-comics are among Marvel's best selling right now. Comics sales are dwindling in general though, so it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Huh, I got the idea from people the X-Men comics were one big miss because there's like 12 parallel running X-Men comics being released with dumb cross overs, hard to follow etc and them not being that good.

If this isn't the case I'm curious what X-related stuff is worth the read!

Huh, I got the idea from people the X-Men comics were one big miss because there's like 12 parallel running X-Men comics being released with dumb cross overs, hard to follow etc and them not being that good.

Then there is the time travel X-Men from the 60s in the mix.

I think they have it sorted now though.

But yeah, the books seemed all over the place these past few years. Hard to penetrate. Surprised to hear they sold well.

Even comics Gomora changed quite a bit down the line.

How she started out in Anihilation:

Gamorah now.

I haven't ready any Guardians books since Annihlation and the Dan Abnett books because it seems like the comics version are turning in to the movie versions.

She used to be one of the deadliest assassins in the universe and was a bit neutral and distant towards others, not frowning on backstabbing etc, now it's all "We're a family!"

At least they kept the area around her eyes the same color, thought the entire green look looked a bit uninspired.

Yeah, the outfit, the purple hair, and not putting the yellow around her eyes shows they were thinking hard about trying to make her look like the movie version but stopped just short of the silver lines on her face so they didn't fully commit and now she just looks like She-Hulk.

Ravelle

Yeah, the outfit, the purple hair, and not putting the yellow around her eyes shows they were thinking hard about trying to make her look like the movie version but stopped just short of the silver lines on her face so they didn't fully commit and now she just looks like She-Hulk.

Meanwhile they got the right look for Drax haha, he looks like the comic drax and not movie drax with weird pink scar tissue looking tribals.

I hope we'll get She-Hulk in Marvel's Post-Infinity phase, would give Banner something to do as well.

No Spectrum or America Chavez?

Marvel, what the fuck?

Marvel has never really pushed Monica like that. Imagine if she had remained the leader of the avengers through the 80s or if at least committed to her as an Avengers mainstay at some point like after Avengers Disassembled. She was there for the original Secret Wars and gets little respect. Other than Nextwave/Mighty Avengers/Ultimates, she's been background wallpaper. She's one of the obscure characters that could blow up if they even tried to give her a honest push. But Marvel committed to Carol

They need to hurry and give Kamala her own cartoon. I know what Marvel wants to happen with Carol but Ms Marvel is the closest thing to a "first lady of Marvel comics" at this point.

I actually like that the rights are split up. Marvel wouldn't release 6 comic book movies a year. A lot of these projects exist because the studios are competing.

Yeah, it sucks that Sony has tanked the X-Men franchise with their boring films but I doubt we'd be getting Black Panther right now if Marvel had the rights to their mutants

They're hard to follow and a lot of the comics aren't so good, but the fanbase is big enough, that they'll eat the comics-up for the time-being.

Ravelle

From someone who only watches the movies, why is there a huge dog in the front?

Lockjaw from Inhumans, he's in that shot because of the upcoming CBS Inhumans show. He belongs to the Reptile dude, Blackbolt ( Man with the tuning fork on his head) and Madusa ,the lady with the long flowy hair.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't think anyone really cares all that much about Black Widow, really. She's a Russian spy without superpowers. Her characterization as a traumatised Soviet agent with trust issues is interesting, but I think the fact that Marvel have had to put up front with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America is rather telling in regards to just how short-supplied Marvel Studios are when it comes with viable female heroes to work with, when they don't have access to either the Fantastic Four or the X-Men.

Captain Marvel can't come soon enough.
You try to downplay Black Window's popularity, but then try to talk up Captain Marvel?

Also, how many times have we done the "people don't care about _____" dance when it comes to superheroes? People didn't care about Wonder Woman until Wonder Woman came out. People didn't care about 95% of the MCU movies until their movies came out.

Except unlike so many other characters, people have been asking about a BW movie for years.

They're selling well right now because they're in the middle of a relaunch but these numbers will drop and it was only a few months ago that Uncanny was outside of the top 50 and selling in the 30,000 range. Same with Wolverine which used to be a top 10 mainstay. Marvel has really damaged the X-Men brand.

Even within Marvel itself they hate mutants.

Imagine corny ass Iron Man becoming this popular that they put him in front of Spider Man

Imagine being an Iron Man fan in general.

Iron Man was always one of my favorite superheroes and I have the comics and action figures from childhood to prove it.

That character and his jump from C list to A list superhero in mainstream popular culture, is the main reason we're enjoying this current Marvel Universe renaissance with the connected film & tv shows

Spidey get enough props, damn, let ol Shellhead get his shine up front and slightly to the left

Top Bottom