• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new MGS3:Subsistence videos and screens (3rd person camera view in action)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played a bunch of single player and I really feel that the new camera has taken the quality to all new heights. Every complaint I had with the game has been addressed as a result of this new camera and the game has been elevated beyond its original greatness. This entire 3 disc package is quite possibly the single greatest package one could purchase this generation for any console.

I also noticed that the game performs a bit better on the whole. The framerate seems a bit smoother in areas where it took some hits and the loading is faster (between menus and such). In addition, the annoying audio skipping glitches that occured during codec scenes are completely fixed.

dark10x said:
Played a bunch of single player and I really feel that the new camera has taken the quality to all new heights. Every complaint I had with the game has been addressed as a result of this new camera and the game has been elevated beyond its original greatness. This entire 3 disc package is quite possibly the single greatest package one could purchase this generation for any console.

I also noticed that the game performs a bit better on the whole. The framerate seems a bit smoother in areas where it took some hits and the loading is faster (between menus and such). In addition, the annoying audio skipping glitches that occured during codec scenes are completely fixed.

Hell yeah!!!

Mrbob

Lyte Edge said:
Played as Snake today in a bunch of Sneaking mission games. Still not quite sure how it is determined who is Snake; last night I never got to play as him, today I was him in a ton of games. It's either based on your score, or perhaps the host picks the player to be Snake; I haven't hosted a game yet, so I'm not sure.

Here is what it looks like as Snake online. Just like in MGS3, you have a meter telling you how well your camo is letting you blend into the background. As Snake, online play is much more adrenaline-pumping; everyone is looking for you, and there's a time limit, so you have to move quickly, and of course unlike if you're playing as a guard, there's no respawn. Snake is faster and more powerful than the guards, however, so it is possible to get away from or even take out several guards at one time.

Using Camo. It doesn't last too long, so you really need to make it count. To keep things a bit more balanced, your weapons remain visibile, as does the microfilm you have to take to win the mission. If you do Snake's taunt (he smokes a cigar), you can see the light from the cigar through the camo.

These are the ranking screens for Snake:

Looks like fun! This will be the first time I take my PS2 online since, uh, ever? I've dabbled a little bit in Madden when it was only online on PS2 and a little Socom but this will be my first real foray into the online PS2 arena.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I forgot to mention that cardboard boxes are really useful in online games, since they are randomly placed throughout stages. Disguising yourself as one can really work to your advantage, since most people don't bother checking to see if anyone is under them.

Mrbob said:
Looks like fun! This will be the first time I take my PS2 online since, uh, ever? I've dabbled a little bit in Madden when it was only online on PS2 and a little Socom but this will be my first real foray into the online PS2 arena.

:lol Same here. I played Socom II and FFXI like once online and that was about it.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Hey lyte edge, how does shooting and CQC feel with the new camera. Is there a different feeling or does it feel the same as when fighting with the original camera?

Lyte Edge

psycho_snake said:
Hey lyte edge, how does shooting and CQC feel with the new camera. Is there a different feeling or does it feel the same as when fighting with the original camera?

Feels pretty much the same to me, but now you can of course see much farther ahead and prepare for what's coming your way. :) In online battles, close up combat feels very different, however, but I think that's more to do with playing against humans instead of the CPU. Lots of running around, diving tackles, etc. Not just CQC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shooting in the game feels very much the same to me. When you hit R1, the first person camera will face the same direction as Snake (not the direction of the 3rd person camera). This is different from, say, Splinter Cell where Sam will turn his body to face the direction of the camera. I don't think that would have worked well here, though. CQC feels roughly the same.

Sholmes said:
Have any of you guys tried Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, yet? How do those play on the PS2?
Yeah, I did.

They play fine, but I suppose some might dislike the fact that they are filtered somewhat rather than displayed with the raw pixels. It feels better to me than using any emulator, though, so it's a nice bonus I think. I might try playing through them sometime.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Lyte Edge said:

Feels pretty much the same to me, but now you can of course see much farther ahead and prepare for what's coming your way. :) In online battles, close up combat feels very different, however, but I think that's more to do with playing against humans instead of the CPU. Lots of running around, diving tackles, etc. Not just CQC.
Im just happy its the same if not better than the fighting in the original because that was just about perfect for me. I guess the new camera makes it even better since you can now see much furthur away.

The online CQC sounds odd. Do you like it or do you see it as more of a mess rather than proper fighting?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Lyte Edge said:
Just took this pic a few seconds ago. 2:30am, Sunday morning:

mgs3slobby0ax.jpg
Suprising amount of people playing this in Japan.

Bebpo

Banned
Quick question:

Is anyone playing this from the US? I'd like to know how the lag is and if it's playable. Not sure if I want to import it or wait for the US release :\

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is loading still a bit screwy in this version? Like in the original, the voices would skip sometimes in the codec, but putting the game on HDloader fixed that (and made the start menu load tons faster). Is that fixed in Subsistence? If not, does the game still work with HDloader?

Kangu

Banned
Wario64 said:
Is loading still a bit screwy in this version? Like in the original, the voices would skip sometimes in the codec, but putting the game on HDloader fixed that (and made the start menu load tons faster). Is that fixed in Subsistence? If not, does the game still work with HDloader?
Dark10x said:

Lyte Edge said:
I just can't wipe the huge grin I have off my face as I play this game. :D It may be the end of the year, with a lot of "GOTY" thread over, but I'm picking this as my online console GOTY, no contest.

Played more team deathmatch (seems to be popular; one of them had NO primary weapons, so everyone was just running around CQCing each other :lol), and a few of the "Snake vs. All" (Sneaking) games in the stage from the research facility early on in MGS3. I didn't get to be Snake, but it really felt like you were playing from the other side in the actual MGS3 game; that's just how well everything works. You can even stop and salute other soldiers. :)

No one is ever talking; everyone just uses the preset commands. I heard a lot of "Ganbatte!!", "Wakatta Wa," and my personal favorite, "GO-GO-GO-GO!!!!!" :lol

Also there's even more music selections; you can also pick the original Metal Gear and the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake BGM soundtracks to use in-game as well. I noticed in the Snake Vs. All game that you could not pick a soundtrack.

This sounds insanely cool. Pre-ordering on Monday.

Bebpo said:
Quick question:

Is anyone playing this from the US? I'd like to know how the lag is and if it's playable. Not sure if I want to import it or wait for the US release :\

I should have my copy early this week. So hopefully I'll let you know soon. :)

Question: What's the easiest way to play JP games on a US PS2? Is there like a disc I can swap with or is a mod chip still needed? And could I use HDLoader and use that to play it? Thanks!

Daigoro

dark10x said:

fuck yeah.

please give the US some love with a nice box set Konami!!!

please??!!!

Lyte Edge

Synbios459 said:
Question: What's the easiest way to play JP games on a US PS2? Is there like a disc I can swap with or is a mod chip still needed? And could I use HDLoader and use that to play it? Thanks!

You can use a swap disc (Swap Magic), but you need to modify your PS2 first by replacing the top part of the shell (this comes with the Swap Magic disc).

Just remember that you will NOT be able to play online unless you have a Japanese PS2.

Troidal

Most have already posted impressions on the new camera and online, let me just add some comments on the Existence disc ^^;

It is divided into
chapters:
Virtuous Mission, Operation Snake Eater, Cobra Unit, Metal Gear, Groznyj Grad, Philosopher's Legacy, Shagohod, and Return Home
. I am still progressing through the actual game so I have not watched it all but my impression so far is...

- Each chapter begins with a synopsis leading to the main event of the chapter, usually through a narrative (of a narrator, Snake's monologue, or codec conversations). Clever way of connecting the plots, but feels like I'm watching a TV series with the whole "Last week on Metal Gear Solid 3" vibe going ^^;;
- Alternate shots on certain scenes look better than the one in the game.
Especially the earlier parts like when Snake gets thrown down the river at the end of Virtuous Mission and the fight vs. Ocelot and his troops where Snake CQC's them all.
-
When you fight Ocelot in the game first time, the bees come attacking and you jump off the cliff. When he lands, he meets The Pain and immediately gets into the boss fight. A bit too sudden but clever editting.
- Boss battles with The Fear, The End and The Fury were kinda meh. More exciting in the game. Also, I thought Kojima said he wouldn't show the battle with The End, but he did anyways. It's weird there was a line where Col. Zero said, "You will have to fight three of the Cobra Unit." and adds, "Four including the boss." Maybe I missed this line in the game, but Zero isn't counting the numbers of Cobra Units right...strange.
- Sometimes they show certain scenes in a different order. For example,
In Chapter 5 Groznyj Grad, it starts out with Snake *already* getting his shit beaten by Volgin. And as Snake is losing consciousness, it flashbacks to the parts where he sneaks into Groznyj Grad and fight vs. The Fury.
- Partial but my general impression of the Existence disc so far is that it feels more like a TV series borken into chapters. It doesn't feel like watching a movie though that's how Konami has been promoting this disc.
-Major deduction points for no playback features. You can't even pause the damn thing. It only allows you to move between chapters.

I am enjoying MGS3 now thanks to the new camera. I was going to watch the movie disc first to just get the whole story, but I didn't, which was a good thing IMO. It only shows the very major plot points, and ignores the rest (
Raikov was just in the movie so Snake can disguise as if he was just another minor guard or something ^^;
). You'll need to play the game anyhow to fill in those gaps, so thats another reason why I dont consider this disc a perfect alternative to really appreciate the story of the game. It feels like you're watching a realy crunched down version, reminding you that this and this happened, and you're like "Oh yeah, I remember this part, I also had to do this and meet this guy..." Anyhow, that's how I feel about this disc thus far.

I could go through every page to find a answer to my question but i dont have time, could someone please tell me when this is slated for release in america?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's weird there was a line where Col. Zero said, "You will have to fight three of the Cobra Unit." and adds, "Four including the boss." Maybe I missed this line in the game, but Zero isn't counting the numbers of Cobra Units right...strange.
This is in the original game.
The Fury and The Sorrow are unexpected additions.

Sinn Fein

Hey Lyte,

If you read this is it possible to have good CQC battles? I know you mentioned the CQC still felt pretty good and pretty much the same, but is it possible to counter CQC like you can in Snake Eater? And is it possible to unequip your weapon fast to go to bare hands so you can CQC someone if you get too close to them to shoot (i.e. your running around with an assault rifle that can't cqc, can you unequip it to go to bare hands fast and CQC someone if you're too close to aim properly)?

Thanks

shpankey

not an idiot
i haven't caught up in this thread, but has it been confirmed that it will have widescreen now? that pic i posted above is on a widescreen tv and it doesn't look stretched or anything... but then again i seen a poster saying he couldn't find the widescreen option. this is a big deal for me though.

*prays for true widescreen support*

okay now I'm a little disconcerted

while Gamestop had the preorder price of $29.99

others sites like EBGames and Amazon are listing it for $49.99

what gives?

Top Bottom