• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Muse album - The 2nd Law - Trailer inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwes

Is there a legit place online that I can stream the new album? The only link I've found links to an iTunes stream and I'd rather not have to download iTunes to listen to it.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Finished with my second listen-through. Extremely forgettable album with bold ideas that ultimately goes nowhere. Animals is the only song with any thought behind it.

Is it me, or does Matt's vocal melody selection seem especially rehashed on this album? There's this one interval that he seems to put into every song (on the other albums as well). It just makes his singing sound formulaic.

At least I'm not the only one who thought this at one point.

Cmagus

I am seriously surprised not only how bad this album is but how unforgettable it is. The problem for me is it is incredibly boring and not much going on here.

Supremacy - ok
Madness - I like but as a song certainly not something I wanna see from them again
Panic Station - first few notes all I could think of was Queen "another bites the dust" it's different but not particularly good
Survival - My favourite song on the album simply because the second half they actually play something heavy something they have lacked for awhile now imo. Made me think back to Stockholme Syndrome (still not as good though lol)
Follow me - zzzzzzzzzz dubstep zzzzzzz
Animals - Not bad a little one tone but not awful.
Explorers - boring
Big Freeze - I don't mind this song
Save me - Boring right through
Liquid State - like most have said sounds like a foo fighters song but an average one
Unsustainable - Sounds like 3 songs in one, 1 of them is preachy bullshit, 1 is crappy dubstep and the other is vocals that sound ok
Isolated System - more preachy boring bullshit why bother it's just a waste of space

After two listens listens survival and maybe madness would kick around my playlist for abit the rest I would probably just forget don't even know if I wanna keep my pre-order at this point I mean I already bought survival and got madness when I pre-ordered.

Wurst

Only songs I really like are Madness and Panic Station.
Animal is ok, Explorers and Big Freeze are alright.

I don't know what they were thinking with the Unsustainable and Isolated Systems. Catastrophic way to end an album. Bah.

I will probably not come back to this album. I enjoyed Resistance much more than this. Am I a bad person now? :/

Only songs I really like are Madness and Panic Station.
Animal is ok, Explorers and Big Freeze are alright.

I don't know what they were thinking with the Unsustainable and Isolated Systems. Catastrophic way to end an album. Bah.

I will probably not come back to this album. I enjoyed Resistance much more than this. Am I a bad person now? :/

I think The Resistance is a great album.

I can get people not liking Unsustainable but Isolated System? I think it's a really nice way to wind down after such a chaotic prior song.

Tunavi

Banned
edit: Liquid state plain sucks.
UratarosCoffeeSpit.gif

best song on the album

I actually really like both of Chris' songs.

The last two tracks are kind of the sound of them disappearing up their own arse, but at the same time - the 'unsustainable' correlation its trying to draw between the 2nd law of thermodynamics / entropy and the economy, and our general advancement is actually not that dumb. Its certainly less offensive to my mind than some of the cheesy orwellian inspired stuff on The Resistance (which I still liked).

I find every track quite listenable - except for maybe the first 1min of Follow Me, which I can see myself skipping.

Absolutely love Prelude (makes Survival better by process of osmosis or something), and Animals. Can't wait to pick up the guitar for some of the tracks.

Is there a legit place online that I can stream the new album? The only link I've found links to an iTunes stream and I'd rather not have to download iTunes to listen to it.

If you're in the US, iTunes has the exclusive rights to the legal stream.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Explorers' chorus reminds me too much of Radiohead's 'No Surprises'. Takes me out of the song when the chorus hits.

Explorers' chorus reminds me too much of Radiohead's 'No Surprises'. Takes me out of the song when the chorus hits.

It sounds more like Invincible from Black Holes & Revelations to me... I get what you mean though, I can sort of hear it

regarding that Neverending Story shout, Big Freeze gives me a bit of a Limahl vibe (probably just the electronic arpeggio in the background of some of it)

Kimaka

I like Animals, Isolated System, Madness, and Prelude + Survival. I hated Madness at first but it grew on me. I still don't like the m-m-m-m-m shit. Survival is so cheesy that I can't help but love it. Everything else is bland except for Unsustainable which stands out for being bad.

Overall, its alright, but nothing comes close to giving me that fuzzy feeling I had when I first heard Bliss or Sing for Absolution.

seemed like a lot of people were jizzing themselves over supremacy over on the muselive boards...it ain't that good. i had already surmised that muse had peaked with absolution, but now i know for sure. i really need to get into some new bands.

Track down Cardiacs - Sing To God.

Tawpgun

I'm actually really liking Big Freeze.

Hell, pull a Radiohead. Go somewhere completley different but with your own style sort of maintained. An album composed of moslty songs like Panic Station and Big Freeze? mite b cool.

Tunavi

Banned

Hell, pull a Radiohead. Go somewhere completley different but with your own style sort of maintained. An album composed of moslty songs like Panic Station and Big Freeze? mite b cool.
no I want an album of Supremacies, Animals, and Liquid States.

Dead

well not really...yet
Listening to the Itunes stream

The only song so far that hasn't grabbed me is Big Freeze. On Save Me right now, and Chris sounds great.

Edit: Damn, Save Me is really really good.

Got to say I love the album. Especially all the 80's influence, growing up in that era a lot of the songs are hitting me just right.

Listening to the Itunes stream

The only song so far that hasn't grabbed me is Big Freeze. On Save Me right now, and Chris sounds great.

Edit: Damn, Save Me is really really good.

Yeah Save Me is excellent.

As generally "eh" as I'm finding this album, I fucking love the bollocks off of Big Freeze and Panic Station. I'd kill for a whole album of them, especially given the "Absolution 2" album is never going to happen at this point.

As generally "eh" as I'm finding this album, I fucking love the bollocks off of Big Freeze and Panic Station. I'd kill for a whole album of them, especially given the "Absolution 2" album is never going to happen at this point.

Big Freeze and Panic Station remind me a lot of Absolution.

Big Freeze and Panic Station remind me a lot of Absolution.

Huh. Not feeling that vibe at all. Actually, it doesn't remind me of anything they've done before really, which is interesting in itself. Absolution had that heavier, "darker" sound, which I don't think anything on this album has.

I didn't know that Matt Bellamy and Kate Hudson have been hanging out with Bono and the Edge.. that might explain the U2ish sounds here and there..

Also, Follow Me samples the foetal heartbeat of their son

I like the album a lot tbh. Had it on loop in the car and I've gradually started singing every track...

I actually really love Unsustainable in the context of the album, I wasn't a big fan originally but it kind of rocks - would have made a good ending track actually - its gonna be a monster live. People will be crushed!

Edit: agreed on Save Me! Chris' voice and the harmonies in the song make a really nice change.. can't wait to see how they do that live

I think the issue with their newer stuff has nothing to do with the fact that they don't do "RAWK" any more, but has more to do with the fact that their albums don't feel "weighty" any more.

It's hard to describe, but all of their albums up to and including Black Holes had a sort of heft and authority to them, even when they did something a bit different, and it's been totally lacking in The Resistance, and now this, although I already prefer it to the last album.

Edit: Both The 2nd Law and The Resistance are self-produced, so I think I've found one of the problems. Their earlier stuff had top-tier producers, and I think it showed.

sgossard

I think the issue with their newer stuff has nothing to do with the fact that they don't do "RAWK" any more, but has more to do with the fact that their albums don't feel "weighty" any more.

It's hard to describe, but all of their albums up to and including Black Holes had a sort of heft and authority to them, even when they did something a bit different, and it's been totally lacking in The Resistance, and now this, although I already prefer it to the last album.

I think the word you're looking for is bland. And I agree with you. I like most songs in Resistance and kinda half of the new ones though.

drspeedy

sgossard: said:
Liquid state plain sucks.

I'm probably alone here, but does anyone think the intro sounds like Megadeth as played by Queens of the Stone Age? The riff is definitely Megadeth, the the piano drone notes and guitar tone sounds distinctively QotSA to me.

See:

Megadeth: Poison was the Cure, from Rust in Peace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQYY7Tk_zg

QotSA: Broken Box, from Lullabies to Paralyze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfKvMU0mQw&feature=player_detailpage#t=9s

Liquid State:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Liquid+State/4PLWhK?src=5

Huh. Not feeling that vibe at all. Actually, it doesn't remind me of anything they've done before really, which is interesting in itself. Absolution had that heavier, "darker" sound, which I don't think anything on this album has.

Really? Absolution is my favorite album and this is the only album since that is giving me those same feelings.

TheMan

I'm really dreading my first listen after reading all the comments in this thread.

you should be dreading it- the album is absolute dreck. they desperately need an actual producer in the studio to tell them, "hey guys, this shit is terrible, get it together."

Dead

well not really...yet
Follow Me is one of my faves on the album but I'll need a few more listens to make up my mind on how I feel about the 2nd law tracks.

Big freeze and liquid state both feel a bit limp though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom