• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Muse album - The 2nd Law - Trailer inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panic Station and Animals are so good... I'm surprised.. I really like the lyrics to Animals and the opening of Explorers..

Can't wait to see them live again now! I think this is a much better album than The Resistance, the last three tracks of that album were better than the last three on this though. In spite of that, some of these tracks add greater variety and more of an upbeat bent to their discography.. I know some here already hate it, but I'm starting to really love it

Pardon my ignorance, but can I stream this from the iTunes app on my phone, or do I need to use the desktop client? I can't seem to find the stream via the app.

Tawpgun

I hate unsustainable in recorded form, but goddamn would that shit be INSANE live. Especially since they wub real time with instruments.

Same goes for any muse song.

Muse could sing Baby by Jbiebs and Call me Maybe and it would still sound amazing.

Revolver

I like Panic Station and Animals. Madness is growing on me and much to my surprise, Unsustainable doesn't make me want to climb a clock tower with a sniper rifle. I thought Isolated System was a nice way to end the album after all the chaos. I'll need a few more listens to let it sink in.

Puddles

Banned
I like the album, but I'm starting to accept that no Muse song is ever going to club me over the head and carry me off to a cave of joy and wonder like Knights of Cydonia or Plug in Baby did back in the day.

Dilly

Banned
you should be dreading it- the album is absolute dreck. they desperately need an actual producer in the studio to tell them, "hey guys, this shit is terrible, get it together."

He shouldn't be dreading anything and decide for himself.

Also, having a producer wouldn't have changed shit.

Mistle

Low points on the album are still Chris' songs, sadly. I thought I'd like them more on repeat listens but they still just... Don't go anywhere. They have a lot of potential but never explode. Liquid State is ok I guess.

Really dig the rest of the album though. Supremacy and Panic Station are nuts, Madness, Big Freeze, Survival, Explorers, Follow Me, Unsustainable, Animals. All fantastic. And while I like Isolated System, it's too mellow of an ending for the album. All albums should end like Knights of Cydonia!

Those glory days of OoS and Absolution seem further away than ever. It's not a bad album, it just happens to be a complete mess without a semblance of coherency between tracks to make it feel like an album rather than a collection of tracks.

And Chris steals the show.

Absolution > Origin of Symmetry > The 2nd Law > Black Holes and Revelations > The Resistance.

The album is really growing on me..

Panic Station is an amazing song, probably best on the album right now.

Save Me is another one that's really growing on me.

All this freaking out about the sound is much ado about nothing. It's different, yet it still sounds like the same Muse, at least to me.

And the 'brostep' songs, well mainly part of songs, aren't bad at all. It's not like the whole song is like a skrillex song, it adds a nice change of pace to the few songs they use it with.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
This really is a grower like some have been saying, I've got to agree. Big Freeze is so derivative but I just don't care - it's way too catchy. Save Me is still one of the best on the album. Supremacy's great too, you can't say it's trying too hard to be a Bond Theme cause it's simply not trying to be at all - they weren't approached and din't think of it that way.

But the best song on the album quite comfortably for me is Isolated System. It's nothing like Muse and yet so Musey at the same time. And it's great.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Oh also, is anyone else hearing that audio glitch at 1.11 in Save Me? Really irritates the hell out of me every time I listen to that song. I don't think it's deliberate, they really should've caught it.

The album is a grower? Nah, I don't think so. I feel like I've almost gotten everything out of it already. I don't think I'm going to have any revelations about any of these tracks.

Meier

Finally streaming it -- I like it! I believe, based off the track time (iTunes has it as one 54 minute long file when streaming it), that I'm on Save Me right now (wow, this is so "un-Muse"). Survival remains rather terrible, but it at least fits in better with the album as a whole than on its own.

Whoa, Liquid State sounds like a Foo Fighters song. Who is singing on this track? Is it Chris?

Dilly

Banned
Finally streaming it -- I like it! I believe, based off the track time (iTunes has it as one 54 minute long file when streaming it), that I'm on Save Me right now (wow, this is so "un-Muse"). Survival remains rather terrible, but it at least fits in better with the album as a whole than on its own.

Whoa, Liquid State sounds like a Foo Fighters song. Who is singing on this track? Is it Chris?

Yeah.

Meier

The ending of the album is a bit odd considering it has those two songs in a row where Chris is singing that sound nothing like Muse at all, followed by two mostly instrumental tracks. On the whole, I think I'd put this above The Resistance personally. I was rather underwhelmed by it (TR).

Just offhand after this first listen, I'd probably rank them Absolution > Black Holes and Revelations > Origin of Symmetry > The 2nd Law > Showbiz = The Resistance.

Dilly

Banned
The ending of the album is a bit odd considering it has those two songs in a row where Chris is singing that sound nothing like Muse at all, followed by two mostly instrumental tracks. On the whole, I think I'd put this above The Resistance personally. I was rather underwhelmed by it (TR).

My biggest issue with this album is just the ordering of the songs.

Got used to it pretty fast though.

-edit

Except Unsustainable into IS, that's just bad. Quite obvious that Unsustainable is written as an opener and IS as a closer. It would certainly work best that way.

Revolver

My biggest issue with this album is just the ordering of the songs.

Got used to it pretty fast though.

-edit

Except Unsustainable into IS, that's just bad. Quite obvious that Unsustainable is written as an opener and IS as a closer. It would certainly work best that way.

Yeah, the ordering seems off. Unsustainable to open and close with Isolated System. They should have also spread out Chris' songs. Overall I'm liking the album more than The Resistance but it falls short of their past best. It sort of reminds me of U2's Zooropa.

Kusagari

No idea what to think of this album, except that it's better than The Resistance. Whole thing sounds like a weird 80s rock album.

jambo

yXZWrl.jpg

Here we go

Kalnos

Banned
I actually like this album much more than Resistance. It has a few low points but nothing for me to really dislike it for.

Pretty surprised.

Mistle

I like the big screams at the end of Follow Me but yeah otherwise it's not the best on the album. Definitely sounds better with good speakers/headphones though, the chorus sounds really full. While I don't hate it, I think Follow Me and Save Me are the low points of the album. The rest is great! Animals and Liquid State seem like they have more potential in them, they could have been amazing, but they're just good as they stand.

Picked up the CD/DVD version of the album. The Making Of is alright, but pretty barebones. I wish it was more in depth, but I guess it's comparable to what they did with The Resistance.

I like Follow Me. Big Freeze is my current least favorite. This album is a grower which is a first for me with Muse. Usually I have instant gratification.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dunno, I like everything but the last four songs, but I sort of have this nagging feeling that every song strongly reminds me of another song by another band.

I'm not the biggest Muse fan in the world though, so perhaps my expectations are different.

Puddles

Banned
When I have some time, I am going to put together a youtube video showing exactly where and when Matt Bellamy reuses the exact same vocal melodies. It'll probably be a very long video.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's a song on this album that basically has Invincible's melody ripped straight out and put back in with a different cadence.

Album is out on iTunes now for download fyi. At least for me on the east coast.

Grabbed it about an hour ago and I'm in California.

I'd love to listen to the rest of the album but I have had Madness on repeat for an hour now. So, so good. Probably has displaced Map of the Problematique as my favorite Muse song.

EDIT:

Amazing, thanks. Hope they tour here again soon. The last time they played in Sacramento was the same day X Japan was playing in Oakland. Hardest. Decision. Ever.

Grabbed it about an hour ago and I'm in California.

I'd love to listen to the rest of the album but I have had Madness on repeat for an hour now. So, so good. Probably has displaced Map of the Problematique as my favorite Muse song.

Map of the Problematique is still one of my favorite songs, ever..

But that said, Panic Station has my attention right now. Dat bass

Puddles

Banned
The Supremacy verse is basically the Endlessly chorus with a slightly different rhythm.

This shit wasn't noticeable when Muse only had three real albums (Showbiz doesn't count), but now that they have five (Showbiz doesn't count), the fact that Bellamy keeps returning to his go-to progressions is pretty glaring. It's like a guitarist who only knows the pentatonic scale and plays the same licks in every solo.

Zyzyxxz

Jeez this album makes me dislike Resistance less (not that it was a bad album but it's not the first Muse album I return to). I'm depressed how it turned out, not feeling the new direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom