• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nikkei article claims that Nintendo has begun negotiations with suppliers regarding production of its next-generation console

sandbood

Banned
20 million units in 2023 for Switch is very hard to achieve unless official price cut and bundles are in the play for Nintendo's strategy in this year.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The problem I see without knowing anything is that battery tech hasn’t advanced much to accommodate more than 6-8 gigs of ram. Could probably get away with 8 gigs for most games but textures are still going to be a low point for any multi-plat ports.

SScorpio

The problem I see without knowing anything is that battery tech hasn’t advanced much to accommodate more than 6-8 gigs of ram. Could probably get away with 8 gigs for most games but textures are still going to be a low point for any multi-plat ports.
What does RAM size have to do with battery usage? The Steam Deck has 16GB and I don't see a new Switch having more power.

The additional RAM let's the Deck use higher quality textures. This makes games look better, with requiring a big increase in processing with uses more power.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What does RAM size have to do with battery usage? The Steam Deck has 16GB and I don't see a new Switch having more power.

The additional RAM let's the Deck use higher quality textures. This makes games look better, with requiring a big increase in processing with uses more power.

Memory is a big drain on the battery as it constantly needs to be “ on “ and it needs the same amount of power regardless the device.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

RVY0BP5.gif

I can't see Nintendo wasting Zelda.
You don't waste Zelda.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm gonna be spurting everywhere when this releases, that's for sure.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
We can file this one in the “no shit” category. Thanks Nikkei 😂

Also, I love how everyone just assumes Nintendo’s next console will be another Switch.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Memory is a big drain on the battery as it constantly needs to be “ on “ and it needs the same amount of power regardless the device.

On a desktop, memory manufacturers state 2-3W per module regardless of module capacity. And that's not taking into account using LPDDR instead which runs at a lower voltage, thus using less power. The design could do anything, but it's likely the memory interface would be designed the same way be it 8GB or 16GB.

More RAM does use more power, but the power usage of RAM is very minimal.

Teletraan1

Banned
Did they build a time machine first so they could go far enough back in time to find suppliers that still carry outdated shit? Or are they finally going to get on an AMD platform like every other hardware manufacturer in the industry?

Alebrije

Due to the current state of industry supply guess Nintendo is just advancing negotiations instead of wait to 2024-25 to start them.

Tams

I'm still wanting them to use an eGPU in the dock.

Handheld can get away with a pretty low resolution on such a small display (1080p is honestly more than enough). And if they go with an eGPU, they could even offer different performance levels. It's not like small eGPUs aren't possible either as Sony did it about a decade ago for a reasonable price and Asus do it now (albeit at far beyond Nintendo budget levels). USB 4 is more than capable of this.

I'd also like Wacom EMR, as not being able to draw on a Nintendo console is a bummer. They could absolutely work with Wacom (who are currently giving steep discounts to eInk device makers) to get young people attracted to using Wacom tech.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Reads to me as if Switch Pro has been axed and they're going to move on to something that is not exactly a Switch 2.

Nintendo likes to be weird for weirdness sake but that bites them in the ass just as often as it helps. I hope they stay close to the fundamentals of a dockable handheld and keep backward compatiblity or it'll be a big misstep.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If they are only just now starting negotiations, is it safe to assume no switch 2 this holiday season?

Same March release like switch 1?

Tams

If they are only just now starting negotiations, is it safe to assume no switch 2 this holiday season?

Same March release like switch 1?

Anyone with half a brain has been saying that no new console was going to be released in 2023. The Mario Kart DLC pretty much confirmed that, and now the leaked TotK special edition Switch has all but confirmed it.

TLZ

Banned
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

I always thought when production starts it means 3-4 months til release. So hopefully negotiations means we're close now, but I can't imagine it being for this holiday. Who knows.

Gambit2483

If they just begun negociations, doesn't it mean it's for 2024? Production needs a lot of lead time.
My understanding is you need about 7-8 months of production lead up depending on how much units you want for initial launch...but I could be wrong.

Also this reporting (if true) could be based on negotiations held a month or two ago, being reported as "beginning". But if they are negotiating in 2022/2023 then 2023 is most likely the year they want to release.

To be clear, this is an opinion piece. It does not contain any new reporting. The quotes from Nintendo’s President are publicly available quotes taken from recent investor Q&As, and it’s unclear if the snippet about Nintendo engaging suppliers in early talks is supposition or not. Either way, nothing in this opinion piece is newsworthy. Surprised it was even published, to be honest. Must’ve needed something to fill space.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Anyone with half a brain has been saying that no new console was going to be released in 2023. The Mario Kart DLC pretty much confirmed that, and now the leaked TotK special edition Switch has all but confirmed it.
That TotK "leak" was never verified and even if it is true I don't see why having a special edition switch prevents new completely new hardware from releasing 🤔

Also I never heard of DLC for a 10 year old game preventing the launch of a new console either, especially if that new console were BC. If anything it just means a new MK won't be ready until 2024.

Top Bottom