• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

Producer

I kinda want one but have a n3dsxl. If it goes on sale on black friday i'll probably cop one. Though i really wish i could find a new, cheap n3ds

I want one. Really wish the US would get the white and orange one the EU and Japan is getting.

I black model doesn't seem to be available for preorder on Amazon.com :( Anywhere else decent to preorder it from?

is it a weight issue? if so the new 2ds xl weighs the same as the non xl new 3ds

The 240p screens have always bothered me, but I love larger screens. I have a galaxy edition n3ds XL and a black regular n3ds that I swap between as I can never decide on screen size or pixel density.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Judging by the trailer I just watched the stereoscopic effects in Metroid are amazing. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you're picking up one of these just for Metroid.

forrest

formerly nacire
Judging by the trailer I just watched the stereoscopic effects in Metroid are amazing. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you're picking up one of these just for Metroid.

Your post reminded me I needed to download this. As a fan of the 3d effect on the 3ds,I have to say this looks pretty outstanding! Day one for sure!

Thankfully I dont like any 3D. Sold my 3DS as there hadnt been anything besides majora's mask that really drew me in for a couple years, but now i want to rebuy a ds and all my games. Didnt think i'd miss it like I do.

Mainly buying for mario and luigi, and metroid. Glad its clamshell and only $150

adroit

I black model doesn't seem to be available for preorder on Amazon.com :( Anywhere else decent to preorder it from?

I pre-ordered mine from walmart.com. Beware that walmart.com works just like Amazon in that you have to be VERY careful not to accidentally buy from a third-party seller. Make sure it says "sold and shipped by Walmart".

Fair point. I'm picking one of these up because because I just want one. I don't play in 3D anyway, haven't since Mario 3D Land and that was just for this isometric style levels where you really needed it. I'll give this a go in 3D though.

inner-G

Banned
Fair point. I'm picking one of these up because because I just want one. I don't play in 3D anyway, haven't since Mario 3D Land and that was just for this isometric style levels where you really needed it. I'll give this a go in 3D though.
I thought ALBW had really good 3D too

Yagami_Sama

Did this game was available to be pre-ordered on Amazon and is already gone ? or they only listed the item, but is not accepting orders yet ?

I'm hoping there's a final 3DS revision with 3D. I'm all for the 2DS existing for those who want a cheaper non 3D option, but it's bizarre that they're not releasing a new 3DS as well. AFAIK you can't even find 3DS in stores anymore, so I don't really get Nintendo's logic here.

adroit

So this is out in New Zealand now and I grabbed one. If anyone's interested I can post some impressions?

No takers? Seriously? Well, I'm taking...(thanks for the offer):

How do the buttons and d-pad feel? My current 3DS is an Old 3DS XL, which has "clicky" buttons and d-pad. I like clicky. I'm hoping they haven't switched to squishy buttons and d-pad on the 2DS XL.

Thanks!

How do the buttons and d-pad feel? My current 3DS is an Old 3DS XL, which has "clicky" buttons and d-pad. I like clicky. I'm hoping they haven't switched to squishy buttons and d-pad on the 2DS XL.

Thanks!

read from a reddit user is that the buttons are more clicky than the n3ds/xl

catmincer

Thanks!

Buttons and Dpad feel exactly the same as my New 3DS does. They're bigger too but I might just be imagining that. The screen is really nice and bright and the colours seem more close to natural vs my New 3DS. I hate the plastic flap covering the cartridge slot and microSD card though.

adroit

Buttons and Dpad feel exactly the same as my New 3DS does. They're bigger too but I might just be imagining that. The screen is really nice and bright and the colours seem more close to natural vs my New 3DS. I hate the plastic flap covering the cartridge slot and microSD card though.

Good news about the buttons and screens. Thanks.

What kind of flap design is it? Does it seem like the sort of thing that will eventually break off or not stay closed? Is it difficult to open? I tried downloading the 2DS XL Operations Manual from the AU web site but they are currently linking to an Old 3DS manual (sloppy, sloppy, sloppy).

SeppOCE

Wouldnt this canibalize the sales on the Switch? Having 2 portable consoles out? I guess their strategy would be trying to introduce a younger crowd to the nintendo world with this cheaper, smaller product and hope that those would eventually upgrade to the switch, but this was a very very strange move.

It's pretty much this gens gameboy micro

catmincer

Good news about the buttons and screens. Thanks.

What kind of flap design is it? Does it seem like the sort of thing that will eventually break off or not stay closed? Is it difficult to open? I tried downloading the 2DS XL Operations Manual from the AU web site but they are currently linking to an Old 3DS manual (sloppy, sloppy, sloppy).

It's plastic, kind of like the flaps on phones where the SIM cards go. It's attached to the system itself and has rubber bits that stretch. I can try and do a photo tonight.

VPhys

Trying to justify buying this when I already have a Switch.

Anyone getting this and already have the Switch? I mainly use the switch for portable gaming but I have some long flights coming up and need some entertainment.

mcfrank

Anyone getting this and already have the Switch? I mainly use the switch for portable gaming but I have some long flights coming up and need some entertainment.

There are certainly enough good 3ds games out to justify it. Zelda Link Between Worlds and the N64 remakes. New Metroid game coming out soon. New super MARIO bros. Certainly worth it for the library.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
You guys think there will be a Metroid special edition 3DS/2DS? I'm tempted to buy the new 2DS XL, but would kick myself if they released a slick Metroid model.

Piccoro

I never owned a GBA, DS or 3DS and I'm tempted by the price... There's so many games I want to try on it.

The thing that's bugging me is the lack of 3D.
Do you guys think that the 3D effect in games is important? I plan to purchase the Sega 3D classics...

mebizzle

I never owned a GBA, DS or 3DS and I'm tempted by the price... There's so many games I want to try on it.

The thing that's bugging me is the lack of 3D.
Do you guys think that the 3D effect in games is important? I plan to purchase the Sega 3D classics...

The 3D classics are just going to be overprices ROMs if you don't play them in 3D.

That being said, the 3D has not been a major focus in years. Some newer games (Pokemon) hardly even support it.

If you really want 3D you can find a Nintendo refurbished XL for 160 on their site, I've heard they are very good quality.

mebizzle

Went and got one at Walmart at midnight. Has a dead pixel so it has to go back :(

Love the size, though it feels a little cramped at first. Definitely feels less premium than the N3DSXL, but it is very light.

Piccoro

The 3D classics are just going to be overprices ROMs if you don't play them in 3D.

That being said, the 3D has not been a major focus in years. Some newer games (Pokemon) hardly even support it.

If you really want 3D you can find a Nintendo refurbished XL for 160 on their site, I've heard they are very good quality.

Thanks for the answer but Nintendo doesn't sell refurbished systems in Europe.

Zaru

This comes out today right? Where's the hype.

I thought "Great, finally a version of the 3ds that I like, time to finally get into that system!"

Then I searched for games to play on it.
Like, games I REALLY want to play.

Then I realized I don't really care ENOUGH about the Nintendo properties and I'm not gonna buy a system for two Phoenix Wright games.
Where's the TWEWY, the Ghost Trick, the 999 (I already played the sequels), the Advance Wars Days of Ruin, etc. of this handheld?

I'm trying to come up with reasons to buy this thing, particularly considering they're still asking release prices for some games that came out years ago like Fire Emblem or Bravely Default.

Would appreciate if someone could name some less obvious gems.

Ventara

Are dead pixels common? I'm buying this as a backup and wasn't planning to open it yet, but should I to make sure there are no dead pixels?

Owari

The 3DS/DS shame library vastly outnumbers Switch. It's the perfect companion device.

CyReN

I have a 2DS right now with 32GB SD Card in size, if I plan to transfers my stuff will I need a second 32GB SD Card? The tutorials I've seen makes it seem I just switch it out after it's transferred? I know the new 2DS comes with a 4SD card which adds to the confusion since it would be 32GB to 4GB. Just want to double check before buying everything I need.

Top Bottom