• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

mrk8885

Banned
Really fighting the urge to order this. Already have a n3DS and n3DSXL. Really like how this one look though.

I'll be able to hold off, unless a bunch of reports come out saying the screen quality itself is superior(heard rumors about that yesterday ). That would make it harder.

Totally don't need this though.

gogogow

While Nintendo of Europe does not give any RRP, the ordinary price will be 169.99 EUR. That is the same as the New Nintendo 3DS, which did not contain a charger though.

The Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 3DS are phased out now. Retailers will only receive New Nintendo 2DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS XL units, as well as remaining stock of older models.

Where the hell are you getting that price from? Sources? You can preorder it from Amazon.de and Saturn.de for €159.99.

jts

...hate me...
It's The Verge. If it isn't made by Apple, they will find something to shit on it.

To be fair, the guy seems to like it overall. Just displays a bit of incompetence in not fully checking the spec sheet or inspecting the damn console he's given a chance to check before anyone else. Gotta push them videos out fast, I guess.

SeanR1221

Some hands-ons:

IGN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3PiHniWDE
The Verge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbqGunyr8EM
GameXplain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of95tD3Xa3U

The Verge's hands-on makes it seem like it doesn't have a 3D camera anymore, which is not true. Just moved from the lid to the bottom half.

can't justify this at all, owning a N3DSXL and a Switch, but it looks neat. There are a ton of great 3DS games so its a smart buy if you don't have one.

brad-t

To be fair, the guy seems to like it overall. Just displays a bit of incompetence in not fully checking the spec sheet or inspecting the damn console he's given a chance to check before anyone else. Gotta push them videos out fast, I guess.

Yeah, actually. Not sure why people get so hostile over innocuous errors like this. You never make mistakes at your job?

Harmen

I... like it? I genuinely think this is the slickest DS design out there. Wish there were other colors though.

Since I skipped the 3DS gen, I can see myself buying this and enjoying the backlog.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, actually. Not sure why people get so hostile over innocuous errors like this. You never make mistakes at your job?
I don't think I was overly hostile. I saw a mistake and pointed it out, didn't claim for his head. I actually watched The Verge's hands-on first, and only when I afterwards watched IGN's I realized it wasn't true that the cameras were gone (which confused me a bit since the regular 2DS kept them).

Near useless feature for me, though.

wmlk

This is actually kinda great? It's cheap and it's the 3DS XL basically right? Just without 3D? Is there anything I'm missing here?

WillyFive

This is actually kinda great? It's cheap and it's the 3DS XL basically right? Just without 3D? Is there anything I'm missing here?

It will be the system where 3DS games will look at their worst, as the bigger screens and no 3D means all games will look very pixelated and blurry, with no 3D effect to fill in the missing detail.

It will be the system where 3DS games will look at their worst, as the bigger screens and no 3D means all games will look very pixelated and blurry, with no 3D effect to fill in the missing detail.

That remains to be seen. If they all have IPS screens instead of the crapshoot of New 3DS and New 3DS XL, I would recommend New 2DS XL.

adroit

The 2DS XL appears to have easy access to the micro SD card slot (next to game cartridge slot). Didn't you have to take the back off the New 3DS XL with a #0 screwdriver to insert or remove the micro SD card?

Risible

Well if your job's sole purpose is to inform others about something, getting the details right us kinda the point. Cross your t's and dot your i's and all that.

JayBabay

Really fighting the urge to order this. Already have a n3DS and n3DSXL. Really like how this one look though.

I'll be able to hold off, unless a bunch of reports come out saying the screen quality itself is superior(heard rumors about that yesterday ). That would make it harder.

Totally don't need this though.

I'm in the same position as you, I own both of those and this new one looks sleek even though I don't see myself needing or using it much but if the screens had IPS I might consider it. However, after watching a few preview videos the screens looked TN, could be wrong though.

Tizoc

My brother broke our old 3DS XL, as its screen si damaged and I don't think it can be repaired. I had 2 NDSes back in the day and I may opt for getting one just to keep the trend.
Wish it was region free as US ver. seems cheaper :X

SenkiDala

I was going to buy it, but the fact that the speakers are just under your f*ing hands when you hold the console is just so dumb, that I don't want one anymore. :/

Wtf Nintendo?

I think that I'll pick one of these up, but I'm going to wait until they have another color combination. I'm just not feeling the turquoise color scheme.

MoogleMan

B_Boss

Sigh....dammit Nintendo....now they've this amazing handheld launching...I am in a horrible situation lol....I am not sure if I should hold out for that or get a New 3DS XL now.....I also wondered, just as a knee-jerk reaction, if this new 2DS will have any revisions to the software to possibly prevent (as much as it can) softmodding, etc., much like the later Wii models did...

I think I'll upgrade my regular 2DS into this given that I'll want to play the new Sun/Moon and also if they keep releasing VC Pokemon games this will probably be my console of choice for a while.

I do wish they were coming to Switch too but hey ho, saw some comments about this potentially not looking so good due to the larger screens, much merit to this? I'm not exactly playing a 3DS for world-leading graphics.

B_Boss

I hope they release more colors. I am not too big a fan of the current selection (looks amazing but just not me if that makes sense) and I definitely like the n3DS XL black buttons with the color letters. I guess it's the little things lol. Then again, I love the SD Card and Cartridge layout on the n2DS.

CJY

Banned
apparently these come out yesterday in Australia. Anyone have any idea why they came out so early in Oz?

inner-G

Banned
I also wondered, just as a knee-jerk reaction, if this new 2DS will have any revisions to the software to possibly prevent (as much as it can) softmodding, etc., much like the later Wii models did...
From what I saw posted elsewhere online, these still come with FW that you can do something with

linkboy

The 2DS XL appears to have easy access to the micro SD card slot (next to game cartridge slot). Didn't you have to take the back off the New 3DS XL with a #0 screwdriver to insert or remove the micro SD card?

Yes, but Nintendo also added a data management option in settings where you can connect to computer over a network and transfer things over.

As for the 2DS XL, I thought about picking one up for my son (as his 3DS XL bit the dust), but I opted instead for a New 3DS that was at one of my local Pawn Shops.

I'm happy with my New 3DS XL.

I'm glad the 3DS line is still sticking around. It's a great system for kids. My son loves his.

NeOak

I keep thinking about picking one up but then I grab my BF Black regular NN3DS and remember why I sold my Majora's Mask NN3DS XL.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I haven't gotten a 3DS yet and I was thinking this would be a good option for jumping in. Was thinking of getting one of the non-XL New 3DS but they seem hard to find in the US.

Top Bottom