• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

//ARCANUM

To anyone that got one already: how floppy is the top screen? Is it pretty floppy like the n3DS XL? Or more sturdy and solid like the n3DS?

To anyone that got one already: how floppy is the top screen? Is it pretty floppy like the n3DS XL? Or more sturdy and solid like the n3DS?

I got mine.
I love it.
I find the floppy hinge complaint to be blown out of proportion imo.
All models had that leeway on the hinge.
I don't find the 2dsxl hinge any worse.

I'm loving the rounded top screen edges

drabnon

This is basically geared at people who never got a 3DS, right? I'm kind of interested as someone in that category. My only concern is that Nintendo games don't seem to drop in price or go on sale very often. So as someone with a 3DS library of games that numbers zero, I wonder how pricy it'll be to catch up on the best 3DS games.

//ARCANUM

I got mine.
I love it.
I find the floppy hinge complaint to be blown out of proportion imo.
All models had that leeway on the hinge.
I don't find the 2dsxl hinge any worse.

I'm loving the rounded top screen edges

i guess i've used ones where the flop was so bad if i pressed buttons on the 3DS, the screen was wiggling. :/

This is basically geared at people who never got a 3DS, right? I'm kind of interested as someone in that category. My only concern is that Nintendo games don't seem to drop in price or go on sale very often. So as someone with a 3DS library of games that numbers zero, I wonder how pricy it'll be to catch up on the best 3DS games.
Nintendo first party games go on sale all the time at Best Buy. In fact just last week they were doing a buy one, get one 50% off sale which stacked with GCU's 20%. Even better is it was glitching so you got 50% off both. That meant two $40 games for $16 each.

drabnon

Nintendo first party games go on sale all the time at Best Buy. In fact just last week they were doing a buy one, get one 50% off sale which stacked with GCU's 20%. Even better is it was glitching so you got 50% off both. That meant two $40 games for $16 each.

Huh, that's good to know. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to get one of these. Thanks for the heads up.

Huh, that's good to know. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to get one of these. Thanks for the heads up.
Another thing to know is Nintendo lowered their price on some titles down to $30. Add in GCU and that's $24 which is pretty inexpensive. Also they have their greatest hits labeled games at $20 which is $16 after GCU.

mebizzle

Its my first handheld with a dead pixel! I don't mind it though.

I've had stuck pixels before but this was my first completely dead pixel, which sucked. Walmart took it back no questions though and I've been using the replacement all night with no problems.

Pros: this thing is LIGHT. We're talking closer in weight to my SP than my 3DSXL.

The size is great, other than the hinge that hangs out a few cm, it's only an inch wider than the small n3DS. The screens look very good, despite being TN, I really like how the top screen has almost no space between the screen and the outer plate and it blends well with the bezel (my regular n3DS has an offset screen which is really annoying to me, and it is much more noticeable due to the white bezel around it)

Buttons are slightly clickier than the XL

The flap covering the SD and the game cart is awesome as my XL would always eject in my pocket.

Matte finish makes it harder to get slimey feeling like the XL

Comes with an AC adapter!

Cons:

The SD and to a lesser extent the game card are kind of a pain to remove. This is a trade-off with the cover that I don't mind but it is worth noting.

Despite having a nice finish it feels very cheap. Part of this is due to the weight for sure, but the plastic itself (of the bottom half specifically) also feels cheap compared to both of my New 3DS models. Bafflingly, the top shell that you never touch feels great and looks almost premium.

Screen wobble is also very noticeable but it is not substantially worse than the N3DSXL. The primary difference is the lack of speakers in the top shell making it require less force to move.

Speaking of the speakers, they're on the bottom of the device, depending on how you position it you could conceivably cover the bottom speakers (fwiw I have big hands and have not had this problem at all)

The stylus is awful, it really should be telescopic, but instead it is a stubby version of the 3ds XL stylus which will probably be unusuable for anything stylus-heavy

Battery life doesn't seem much better than the previous model, and it is not easily accessible, you need triwing driver to get to it.

The volume slider is too recessed and feels very flimsy. It could have done with one more similar to the other models.

Despite my cons section being longer than my pros section I have to say that I'm not dissatisfied with it at all.i really wish the original n3DS had been something more akin to this, as I love the size for the portability but it still has the full XL screens.if you've never had a 3ds before or haven't had one in some time it's a great way to jump in at a really good price. I've had a 3DS since the original launch and I feel comfortable in saying that you are not missing anything by not having 3D.

mebizzle

So you would recommend purchasing a separate stylus for the system?

Depends on what you plan on playing. If you're doing anything with heavy stylus use (like drawing or something) it wouldn't be a bad idea, it's passable if you're just tapping menu options (ie Pokemon)

Proc

Anyone upgrading coming from an OG 3DS XL?

I haven't canceled my $179 CAD preorder yet.

It seems like I could get a second hand N3DS for about that price point but it's not new and shiny.

gafneo

Banned
It was exactly what I thought it would be.
The screen quality is even better than the reviews had made it out to be however.
Shoulder buttons were the biggest discomfort issue with past devices.
You still get discomfort here, but you need to trane your right hand to hold the device instead of grip, hence the name Handheld mobile.

archvile7

Best Buy has been pretty great with deals lately, not just Switch games but electronic stuff in general. They have definitely turned around in the past few years and I no longer go there just to finger fuck things before I buy them from Amazon.

dafodeu

So I have a Pokemon Anniversary New 3DS that I'm thinking of trading in for the New 2DS XL so I can have a bigger screen. Should I do it?

No way. New 3ds are hard to find in stores especially a limited edition one. It's all 2ds, 3ds xl, 2ds xl in stores these days. 2ds xl seem in great stock. I saw 10 at target last night, so you are better off waiting till you can afford one without having to trade in a rare new 3ds.

NeOak

So I have a Pokemon Anniversary New 3DS that I'm thinking of trading in for the New 2DS XL so I can have a bigger screen. Should I do it?

No. Sell it online, you'll get more for it.

No way. New 3ds are hard to find in stores especially a limited edition one. It's all 2ds, 3ds xl, 2ds xl in stores these days. 2ds xl seem in great stock. I saw 10 at target last night, so you are better off waiting till you can afford one without having to trade in a rare new 3ds.
Regular New 3DS units have been discontinued.

FSLink

Banned

...you could literally sell JUST the plates from the Pokemon Anniversary n3DS on eBay for like $50 each lol
Why in the world would you trade it in? Just wait until you can afford the New 2DS XL and keep or sell the New 3DS.

EDIT: Yeah god damn I see it being sold for like $300+ on eBay. Don't be lazy trading it in.

Copypasta my thoughts from the review thread:

Transfer complete. I love this thing, it is so light. I can finally play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go, before I only had a normal 3DS XL.

The screens seem really crisp to me, nice and bright and clear. No dead pixels or anything. It is interesting because the top screen looks so much bigger even though it's not, just the way it is so seamless.

vMwz9KP.jpg

Here is the case I picked up for it. Normally $12.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Warehouse Deals has some "used" ones for $8.21 so I said why not. It actually is very nice and doesn't even look used. Amazon Warehouse Deals still has some in stock for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QWYX8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A SNES with 21 games for $80 is very fair. A 2DS for $150 isn't. I think $120 would've been the ideal price.
I mean...why is $150 for a 2DS with the increased specs of a N3DS not fair? It's significantly cheaper than the N3DSXL, with what some would argue is a better form factor, that is only missing the 3D effect, which is a novelty to most users. $40 cheaper for removing 3D only seems like a good deal to me

Bought a tempered glass screen protector for this (the same brand as the top-selling Switch protector). I probably don't NEED one, but it'll give me peace of mind.

NeOak

Copypasta my thoughts from the review thread:

Transfer complete. I love this thing, it is so light. I can finally play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go, before I only had a normal 3DS XL.

The screens seem really crisp to me, nice and bright and clear. No dead pixels or anything. It is interesting because the top screen looks so much bigger even though it's not, just the way it is so seamless.

Here is the case I picked up for it. Normally $12.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Warehouse Deals has some "used" ones for $8.21 so I said why not. It actually is very nice and doesn't even look used. Amazon Warehouse Deals still has some in stock for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QWYX8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Xenoblade 3D is one of the few titles I like to play in 3D.

But thanks for the info. I changed to a regular New 3DS on Black Friday last year and I couldn't get back to Xenoblade :(

Maybe I should have kept my Majora's New 3DS XL with a top IPS screen. Oh well, I sold it to a really good friend of mine because I wasn't using it when I got the small NN3DS

ryushe

I already have a Japanese *new* 3DS a US *new* 3DS XL AND a regular 2DS, so unless they make a special edition one, I think I'm good on 3DS'...

Please release that Metal Slime 2DS XL to the states Nintendo. I'm begging you!

This is going to be the dumbest question, but the charger is a standard charger for the 3DS right? If it takes USB C then I'd definitely consider buying it. I don't like having a shit ton of chargers lol

Marceles

It's not any more floppy than the n3DS XL to be honest. The only noticeable thing is the broken crayon looking stylus, but everything else about it is pretty slick

New owners: how bad are the bottom-facing speakers? Are they extra loud to compensate?

(Please nobody say "just use headphones.")
I was worried at first but they only seem slightly softer than the ones on the N3DS XL. I think it's designed around you holding it and your hands kind of tunneling the sound like a cell.phone?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
New owners: how bad are the bottom-facing speakers? Are they extra loud to compensate?

Not bad at all.

Interestingly enough, when I had the sound cranked, it was actually vibrating the system while I held it. My New 3DS XL never did that.

I was worried at first but they only seem slightly softer than the ones on the N3DS XL. I think it's designed around you holding it and your hands kind of tunneling the sound like a cell.phone?

Not bad at all.

Interestingly enough, when I had the sound cranked, it was actually vibrating the system while I held it. My New 3DS XL never did that.

This is good to hear. I've been using a New 3DS (non XL) and am happy with the speaker volume. Are the speakers on the New 3DS XL comparable to those on the New 3DS?

kc44135

I won't begrudge anyone for buying/enjoying a 3DS/2DS, as there's plenty of great games on the thing, but... man, it's kinda hard to believe Nintendo has just released a device with a 240p resolution (!) screen in 2017. I mean, this thing just looks ancient at this point.

I won't begrudge anyone for buying/enjoying a 3DS/2DS, as there's plenty of great games on the thing, but... man, it's kinda hard to believe Nintendo has just released a device with a 240p resolution (!) screen in 2017. I mean, this thing just looks ancient at this point.

I bought a new 2dsxl and yeah, the tech that you get for the price is kind of a bummer >_>

But where else am I gonna play Fire Emblem and Bravely Default :/

Despite the resolution though it's actually a pretty nice screen. SNES VC games look great on it too.

To a kid and the mass, it doesn't matter - the game catalog is huge

blugbox

Neo Member
All I can say is that if you're overly sensitive to the issue maybe it comes off as worse than is.
It's never bothered me so
¯_(ツ)_/¯

For sure I found the floppy hinge to be one of the only huge faults of the 3DS. I hate the floppy hinge so much, yet I don't find the 3D that hard to use... no way I'm being too sensitive haha. You are just exceedingly tolerant, which isn't a problem at all.

The only thing I don't like about this is the dumb name. We had a DS "dual screen". Coming out with a 3d version of it was clever using a combo of 3d and DS

But now? these are 2d dual screens! so 2DS.... get it? a 2d DS... just like a normal DS.

They should have called the original DS the 2DS in that case. stupid name.

VARIA

I still can't get over how hideous the teal colored accents are.

I'll bite once they have a better color selection.

philz

Really hate to be that guy, but I'm thinking about returning mine because of the poor sound quality. Will give it some time because the system is lighter than my n3DS XL but the sound seems markedly worse.

As far as other talked about issues go the n2DS hinge is only slightly wobblier and screen quality seems the same.

To a kid and the mass, it doesn't matter - the game catalog is huge

Which is kinda the problem, the games are starting to get kinda hard to find if you want physical.

Which makes me wonder why NOA has completely forgotten that Nintendo Selects exists. FE:Awakening, NSMB 2 and A link between worlds are all 3-5 years old. It would have actually helped with FE for people to get into the series for Shadows. FE:Awakening is actually a Nintendo Select in Japan.

Instead you gotta pay full price a used version of a Link Between Worlds.

Proc

I opened my New 2DS XL last night and I'm very happy with it.

I decided to keep my OG 3DS XL so that my partner and I can discover Pokemon together later this year, so that she can have more to talk about with her students.

I'm glad I did because I didn't realize you couldn't transfer Nintendo IDs to multiple 3DS. My bad. The transfer process was relatively painless after I realized my OG didn't have its SD card fully inserted.

Right away the build quality in my opnion feels better than my previous model. My hinge is far less wobbly than its predecessor.

I decided to spend about $30 on VC for my first test. I grabbed Kirby Dreamland 2 for game boy on sale, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Earthbound, and the original
Castlevania.

Kirby Dreamland 2 was a delight and I hadn't played it before. I forgot how detailed gameboy games could be.

Super Nintendo games looked crispy at original dimension settings. Castlevania looked less muddy after I dialed up the brightness.

The system feels great in my hand and I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I'm looking forward to going through the classics and starting back up some of the 3DS games I missed along the way. I haven't tested out the nub or circle pad extensively but I can say I have no qualms about the dpad.

Cheers to playing amazing games anywhere in or out of the house.

Top Bottom