• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:
The more I learn about PICA200 the less of an issue the lack of full ES 2.0 compliance seems to be. Its already "most of the way" there and if the fixed function shader hardware can deliver most of those ES 2.0 effects with greater performance then a generic unified shader could then why exactly is their absence such a big deal, anyway? I just can't reconcile the absolute insistance that increasingly general purpose hardware is the only viable way to solve this problem when you've got to work within such strict power constraints.

It's of course not the only viable way, but it's the way developers have come to reasonably expect. The performance per watt with these other chips isn't, I presume, so dire that they're crying out for a more fixed but power efficient approach. Devs have come to reasonably expect they can have both the kind of programmability they're used to elsewhere while not impinging on workable power draw.

There's a portability issue. Yes, 3DS is its own dedicated device, developers can target it specifically in a way they wouldn't any one specific smartphone for example, but it's not an island. It, I'd say, would be a fairly big deal if it did happen to put off middleware support from the likes of Epic for example. I'd hope Nintendo might have consulted externally before making these choices, in which case this might not be a worry, but we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, I'm not sure what 'most of the ES 2.0 effects' means. I'm sure 3DS covers some common cases, but flick through the volumes that have been written in the likes of the GPU Gem series and you'll see that there's an awful lot of variety. You'll be able to map some stuff to what's provided by the 3DS GPU, but it's hard to talk about levels of coverage. This is before we even get to talking about doing other non-rendering work on these kinds of GPUs (which will happen soon if it hasn't already). More than that, though, I think there is a downside to this approach from the point of view of this being a dedicated device to last several years - there's a smaller scope for evolution in how the GPU is used. There's a smaller scope to apply new techniques and insights and experience that'll undoubtedly crop up in the next 5 years. So yes, devs can hunker down on 3DS and do things its way, but on the other hand there's not a huge amount of depth for them to explore in terms of focusing on it. The goalposts are mostly set from the start.

So while I can agree to a certain extent with the "does it matter if the 'expressive power' is good now?" sentiment, and I can agree with the power consumption argument, on the other hand there are downsides too. It is a double-edged sword, there are tradeoffs (or potential tradeoffs) and I could understand if people thought they were notable ones.

gofreak said:
It's of course not the only viable way, but it's the way developers have come to reasonably expect. The performance per watt with these other chips isn't, I presume, so dire that they're crying out for a more fixed but power efficient approach. Devs have come to reasonably expect they can have both the kind of programmability they're used to elsewhere while not impinging on workable power draw.

There's a portability issue. Yes, 3DS is its own dedicated device, developers can target it specifically in a way they wouldn't any one specific smartphone for example, but it's not an island. It, I'd say, would be a fairly big deal if it did happen to put off middleware support from the likes of Epic for example. I'd hope Nintendo might have consulted externally before making these choices, in which case this might not be a worry, but we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, I'm not sure what 'most of the ES 2.0 effects' means. I'm sure 3DS covers some common cases, but flick through the volumes that have been written in the likes of the GPU Gem series and you'll see that there's an awful lot of variety. You'll be able to map some stuff to what's provided by the 3DS GPU, but it's hard to talk about levels of coverage. This is before we even get to talking about doing other non-rendering work on these kinds of GPUs (which will happen soon if it hasn't already). More than that, though, I think there is a downside to this approach from the point of view of this being a dedicated device to last several years - there's a smaller scope for evolution in how the GPU is used. There's a smaller scope to apply new techniques and insights and experience that'll undoubtedly crop up in the next 5 years. So yes, devs can hunker down on 3DS and do things its way, but on the other hand there's not a huge amount of depth for them to explore in terms of focusing on it. The goalposts are mostly set from the start.

So while I can agree to a certain extent with the "does it matter if the 'expressive power' is good now?" sentiment, and I can agree with the power consumption argument, on the other hand there are downsides too. It is a double-edged sword, there are tradeoffs (or potential tradeoffs) and I could understand if people thought they were notable ones.

There's always tradeoffs and there'll never be an ideal solution and only time will tell whether Nintendo made the right choice. I can understand the desire for more general programmability but I also understand that power efficiency comes before all else

As for the "covers most of the use cases" I admit I was far too vague with that comment and you're right to call me out on it. What I really mean is that it really doesn't matter how many fantastic tricks and effects ES 2.0 compliant hardware allows developers can to create in isolation and present in white papers, in the end 90%+ of them are going to be a terrible fit for an actual shipping game engine, especially one which targets mobile hardware. Even on the PS3 and 360 where developers have much more shading power to play with than they do on any mobile platform, we still tend to see the same set of base shader effects used no matter the engine, with just a few extras here and there.

On mobile hardware the situation is even more bleak, we're still yet to see any example of an engine targeting ES 2.0 hardware that manages to pull off anything that wasn't possible on decades old fixed function hardware. Epic Citadel is the shining example for most but then what shader effects is that demo really pulling off besides some nice dot3 bump mapping, specular highlights and reflection/refraction effects? Heck, even Geforce 2 level hardware is capable of doing all of that, so the point is what use is that general programmability if the actual hardware isn't fast enough to take proper advantages of it in actual games? Epic Citadel isn't even a game ffs, its just a tech demo without character models!

I'd compare the scenario to something like the DC's dot3 bump mapping support, sure the hardware was technically capable of it but when the only time it was used was for a single crappy looking coin in Shenmue, is it really a feature worth screaming from the rooftops about?

I fully understand the merits of having "developer friendly" hardware and its one of the major reasons I'm such a fan of the Xbox 360's design. Microsoft delivered a piece of hardware that was not only fast and reasonably cheap to produce (at least in comparison to the PS3) but was simple for developers with a PC background to take advantage of from day 1 and the results speak for themselves. Having said that, I really don't think the 3DS is such an unfriendly system for developers. Its a huge leap forward compared to the Wii and you must remember that in the portable space Nintendo are coming from hardware with an N64 level featureset, even a design like Flipper or a Geforce 2 is a huge step forward considering that but PICA200 clearly goes way above and beyond that.

Now, do I feel like a similar design would be suitable for a home console? No, absolutely not, I think I've made my feelings quite clear on that subject and I expect Nintendo deliver at least an OpenGL 3.0 compliant device with their home hardware refresh in 2011. I just tend to feel that maybe mobile hardware made the switch to general programmability just a little too quickly. Is DX10.1 compliance really all that necessary for mobile platforms? The PC space didn't make the switch to unified shader and general programmability until we had 8800GTX levels of raw performance and mobiles are clearly a decade+ away from that.

I understand why the move was made though, most mobile hardware targets open hardware platforms where GPUs can and will chop and change from year to year so a wide general purpose high level shader language really is the only way to solve that problem but when you're not tied to that restriction then why not explore the alternatives? Call me naive but I honestly believe that the right compromise between general programmability and fast fixed hardware lies somewhere short of the mark of full unified shaders when we're talking about parts with such generally low performance and tight power constraints. We'll see who is right as this thing plays out but I'm at least pleased someone is taking a different approach to the problem as it makes things more interesting and opens this sort of discussion. I'm just not a fan of the belief that the march towards general programmability with GPUs is the only solution, especially in markets where performance per watt is the only metric worth a damn.

P.S. Thanks Blu for the pearls of wisdom, really insightful! :D I didn't think this post would end up quite so long! :lol Hopefully someone appreciates my babbling and its not all in vein, though I kinda doubt that! :lol

P.S.S I'm not doubting for one minute that there's a portability issue, mind you. I just don't think its as big a deal as some make it out to be after seeing the utterly fantastic work Capcom have done in so little time. MT Framework on 3DS really is such an incredible achievement and a huge step forwards for mobile graphics in general, imo.

SolarPowered said:
I've continued lurking because the lack of info makes any discussion based on tangible facts scarce. If we can only speculate then I hope that we can get some meaty info on what Nintendo will do with their online setup.

An account tied to a server with a single code or name would go a long way towards making me consider VC and digital games on a nintendo system. I haven't bought any VC or DD titles on the Wii because of the lack of XBL functionality and the fact that the games are directly tied to the console. It's a shame because there are so many little gems sitting there for the taking. :(

If Nintendo don't bring their DRM solution out of the stone ages then there'll be hell to pay. Honestly, matching Xbox Live really isn't enough in my book, they should set their goals a little bit higher, PS3 level DRM is the least I expect in this day and age, but Steam style is what I actually desire (and am now used to).

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
This "potential" and "evolution" business is ultimately meaningless, as really immediate ease-of-development is a much higher concern. It's a portable platform, it's not meant for some software R&D and people don't want to/expect high budgets for vast majority of projects. The few more ambitious developers will have to accept the platform for what it is, for the sake of smaller guys. I don't say that higher flexibility and ease of development are mutually exclusive, but cost and performance per watt are far more important than some future potential.

On the same note, I do think Epic should suck it and port Unreal Engine for 3DS - it's going to be popular and it's going to stay for a couple of years. If they made multiplatform engine for handheld/mobile platforms, everyone would benefit - gamers, industry and Epic themselves alike. If PSP2 and future iDevices will be much more powerful,3DS could serve as a lowest common denominator for games, which should be sufficient for handheld games anyway (seeing what vast majority of iPhone games look like).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
brain_stew said:
Oh, believe you me, it was worse than "shitty" much, much worse. I'm surprised that thing even got past Microsoft QA tbh. It would straight up freeze whenever complex physics effects would go off. There's a good reason why the minimum CPU required on the PC (i.e. the "it'll play but you really shouldn't bother" requirement) asked for a CPU that was more than twice as fast as the 733mhz Celeron in the Xbox. That thing just couldn't manage the level of physics simulation in that game, no matter how much people pretend otherwise, and no, the 3DS sure as hell won't either, nor could any current mobile platform tbf.

<3 Source physics engine. Its funny, but for something so much older I still think the way Source handles physics is about as good as it gets in gaming. The weight and way at which objects drop is so damn nice.

szaromir

Banned
EatChildren said:
<3 Source physics engine. Its funny, but for something so much older I still think the way Source handles physics is about as good as it gets in gaming. The weight and way at which objects drop is so damn nice.
Didn't HL2 use Havok 2?

Yoshi256

Banned
Soneet said:
Yeah, it makes sense for Valve not to develop on 3DS. It's not that I expect it or need it... but if they do... minds will be melting.

Portal for 3DS could be great, but I don't know if the CPU is fast enough for the physics of the game.

Yoshi256 said:
Portal for 3DS could be great, but I don't know if the CPU is fast enough for the physics of the game.

It clearly isn't, unless Nintendo have got some secret super fast SIMD unit hid away somewhere.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
szaromir said:
Didn't HL2 use Havok 2?

Fuck me it was. All these years I've been under the impression that Valve wrote their own physics engine for Source.

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
It clearly isn't, unless Nintendo have got some secret super fast SIMD unit hid away somewhere.
The final secret of the 3DS, PPUs revived! :lol

Seriously though, all of Valve's Source Engine games are pretty CPU intensive. There's no way any of them could be done on the 3DS.

Yoshi256

Banned
Luigiv said:
The final secret of the 3DS, PPUs revived! :lol

Seriously though, all of Valve's Source Engine games are pretty CPU intensive. There's no way any of them could be done on the 3DS.

Well, then I just wait for the PSP 2 port. ;)

Yoshi256 said:
Well, then I just wait for the PSP 2 port. ;)

Unless the PSP2 has dual 1ghz A9s with full NEON support at an absolute minimum (and the simple fact that such a design would probably kill battery life makes me weary) then I'm sceptical as to whether the PSP2 would be able to manage it either. We'll see. Absolutely no chance of it ever running a port of the L4D games, you can be sure of that now.

Mr_Brit

Banned
brain_stew said:
Unless the PSP2 has dual 1ghz A9s with full NEON support at an absolute minimum (and the simple fact that such a design would probably kill battery life makes me weary) then I'm sceptical as to whether the PSP2 would be able to manage it either. We'll see. Absolutely no chance of it ever running a port of the L4D games, you can be sure of that now.
Lets say the PSP 2 comes out Winter next year for $250, what kind of specs would you expect it to have?

The PSP2 will definitely be more powerful than the 3DS but I doubt that will matter at all. The 3DS will dominate.

Anyway, I can't wait to see F-Zero in 3D.

brain_stew said:
If Nintendo don't bring their DRM solution out of the stone ages then there'll be hell to pay. Honestly, matching Xbox Live really isn't enough in my book, they should set their goals a little bit higher, PS3 level DRM is the least I expect in this day and age, but Steam style is what I actually desire (and am now used to).
I'd be happy if they'd emulate the features we get with Xbox live. I'm also pretty sure that they'd avoid any money making schemes since it would be a great way to introduce people to a new Nintendo online system. They've got to be thinking of the 3DS as a nice gateway device for the WiiHD(or whatever they're going to call it). A steam-lite setup would probably do wonders for the new audience that Nintendo has been tapping into all of these years.

I kind of feel that the 3DS has a similar role to play as the Xbox and 360 did when it came to building a loyal customer base for the Xbox brand, but if I know Nintendo they'll completely squander this opportunity. The future isn't completely bleak fortunately. The fact that Nintendo has made a system that is more friendly towards third parties on a hardware level is indicative of a change in their approach to hardware design...I can only hope that this change in their plans has had some sort of impact on their approach to software.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Black Rainbow said:
The PSP2 will definitely be more powerful than the 3DS but I doubt that will matter at all. The 3DS will dominate.

Anyway, I can't wait to see F-Zero in 3D.
I wouldn't count Sony out yet, I'm sure they've learnt from their mistakes with the first one. Low price, good specs for the price, a competent control scheme, a solid online system and games that are suited for portable play should ensure that they'll do better this time around.

Mr_Brit said:
Lets say the PSP 2 comes out Winter next year for $250, what kind of specs would you expect it to have?

Two dozen chicken feet and a couple jars of pixie dust...........

I have no idea.

EatChildren

SolarPowered said:
I kind of feel that the 3DS has a similar role to play as the Xbox and 360 did when it came to building a loyal customer base for the Xbox brand, but if I know Nintendo they'll completely squander this opportunity. The future isn't completely bleak fortunately. The fact that Nintendo has made a system that is more friendly towards third parties on a hardware level is indicative of a change in their approach to hardware design...I can only hope that this change in their plans has had some sort of impact on their approach to software.

The DS was building the customer base, and proving the success of such a hardware. Iwata said very specifically that third parties were/are skeptical about the Wii and DS and Nintendo's job was to prove the capabilities and success of these platforms with strong first party software. He then said the 3DS was to be different, and that they were aiming for the strongest third party support ever.

If everything goes according keikaku then the 3DS really will be the SNES/PS2/X360 of handhelds in terms of support and sales.

Grampasso

Mejilan said:
What the hell happened that caused this thread to blow up from like 15 pages to 24 in under two days!?
Well... I think the 3DS is the most anticipated gaming machine in the history of videogames.
Or at least, it is for me

KAL2006

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

Slightly more powerful than a 3DS (so Sony can steal games from 3DS as multiplatform games, so quick support as soon as it is released)
Battery doesn't drain fast like the original PSP
Screen is 3D (similar to 3DS), and multi touch (similar to iPhone)
Games are downloadable and can be bought in cartridges (no UMDs)
All XMB/OS features from PS3, such as in game menu, web browser, PStore, friend lists and etc
Backwards compatible to Mini's/PSOne/PSP games, also digital PS2 are now also available
Dual analogues (analogues are also improved)
Priced only $30-$50 more than a 3DS

Mr_Brit said:
I wouldn't count Sony out yet, I'm sure they've learnt from their mistakes with the first one. Low price, good specs for the price, a competent control scheme, a solid online system and games that are suited for portable play should ensure that they'll do better this time around.
They're bound to do better this time around, definitely. It would be interesting to see Sony and Nintendo neck and neck with their portables but the 3DS will be out sooner and Nintendo's software is a much bigger draw than Sony's. Time will tell.

szaromir

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Slightly more powerful than a 3DS (so Sony can steal games from 3DS as multiplatform games, so quick support as soon as it is released)
All XMB/OS features from PS3, such as in game menu, web browser, PStore, friend lists and etc
Backwards compatible to Mini's/PSOne/PSP games, also digital PS2 are now also available
Your list is missing one important thing - a selling point. Outdoing Nintendo at what Nintendo is already succeeding at won't bring them many customers.

ShinNL

brain_stew said:
Wait wait, why are people saying there's really absolutely no chance for L4D to run on 3DS? Because my notebook (the only PC I have) can run L4D at full resolution (1280x800) with enough effects turned on to make it look nice and have fraps recording it, whereas with SF4 I have to use a 800x480 resolution and disable the cartoon-like shader.

Surprisingly, L4D2 runs like crap, probably due to the flying limbs everywhere (psychics). Disabling it makes everything look way more lifeless than the original L4D, so I didn't end up playing L4D2 nearly a fraction of the original game.

I don't think it's impossible. Just very very unlikely due to how Valve operates.

EatChildren

Soneet said:
Wait wait, why are people saying there's really absolutely no chance for L4D to run on 3DS? Because my notebook (the only PC I have) can run L4D at full resolution (1280x800) with enough effects turned on to make it look nice and have fraps recording it, whereas with SF4 I have to use a 800x480 resolution and disable the cartoon-like shader.

Surprisingly, L4D2 runs like crap, probably due to the flying limbs everywhere (psychics). Disabling it makes everything look way more lifeless than the original L4D, so I didn't end up playing L4D2 nearly a fraction of the original game.

I don't think it's impossible. Just very very unlikely due to how Valve operates.

Yeah, but what are the specs of your notebook? SF4 might run like arse, but L4D is pushing a lot of AI and geometry on the screen at any due to the massive waves of zombies. Even if the 3DS could manage the shaders scaled down, it probably couldn't manage the amount of zombies without running into serious problems.

Grampasso

Soneet said:

If you mean Physx (the Nvidia engine) it's a machine killer. Turning it off from Sacred 2 on my notebook made my FPSes go up from 2-3 to 30 (yeah, I'm not kidding)

Luigiv

Mr_Brit said:
Hopefully. Though at the same time you have to ask yourself, would just that be enough? Whilst not repeating those mistakes would certainly help, the PSP2 is also going to need to find it's own personality if it plans to compete with Apple and Nintendo.

The original PSP got something of a free pass to success due to console dev costs proving to be too expensive for niche JRPGs and the DS being too limited to realise all those ideas. The PSP2 is not going to get the same free pass with the 3DS proving itself to be far less limited and rearing to grab the PSP's current market. Even if the PSP2 does go for more powerful components, it still wont be powerful enough to do anything with gameplay that the 3DS couldn't. It'd just look a bit prettier and I'm not sure that'd be enough to convince Devs to support it.

That's why I'm really curious to see what Sony will do. The PSP2 is in desperate need of it's own "gimmick" to help it carve out a healthy niche and I'm really hoping Sony can deliver (It'd be way more exciting that way).

gkryhewy

KAL2006 said:

Yes, I too expect the PSP2 to be 100% completely derivative.

ShinNL

EatChildren said:
Yeah, but what are the specs of your notebook? SF4 might run like arse, but L4D is pushing a lot of AI and geometry on the screen at any due to the massive waves of zombies. Even if the 3DS could manage the shaders scaled down, it probably couldn't manage the amount of zombies without running into serious problems.
Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470. Nothing is really great about it. Left 4 Dead doesn't seem too crazy on the geometry and AI. It probably doesn't do a lot of things with physics (zombie hit detection doesn't seem to be per limp or anything that fancy). Left 4 Dead 2 on the other hand has a lot of gimmicky physics stuff (always checking hit detection on many things), completely killing the framerate for me.

Grampasso said:
If you mean Physx (the Nvidia engine) it's a machine killer. Turning it off from Sacred 2 on my notebook made my FPSes go up from 2-3 to 30 (yeah, I'm not kidding)
I just meant the word physics, I'm not sure if my ATI card does anything with Physx (or if L4D2 even uses it).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PSP2 talk is pointless, not only for the fact that no one knows if it even exists let alone when it releases but also for the point that Sony's chance to succeed in the handheld space has come and gone.

There is no way of positioning the PSP2 in the market, nothing to make it distinctive. They are caught between a rock and a hardplace now with 3DS on one side and smartphones on the other.

The 3DS' autostereoscopic display is a killer selling point, and because of the problems with using a screen like that as a touchscreen (fingerprints and the finger itself interfering with how the parallax grid works, trying to touch things that are not at screen depth etc.) to have the best of both worlds the PSP2 would have to be a carbon copy of the 3DS' clamshell.

People listing dream specs with everything from a second analogue stick to the kitchen sink in it are missing the point that Sony tried that approach before. It didn't work, and now the market is split in 2 and far harder to get a foothold in. The PSP's time has come and gone, it was a good effort but they got too many things wrong from from the media format, to the battery life, to the type of games. A second analogue stick for example certainly wouldn't help the platform get the games it needed to succeed, if anything it would do the opposite.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
I don't see the big deal with the Source engine. Evene on current gen consoles it looks a bit outdated, simple geometry, low poly count. You need a gaming rig to make the most of it.

I would like better engines on 3DS thanks.

Luigiv

EuropeOG said:
I don't see the big deal with the Source engine. Evene on current gen consoles it looks a bit outdated, simple geometry, low poly count. You need a gaming rig to make the most of it.

I would like better engines on 3DS thanks.
It's not the source engine (which should would actually be very easy to port), it's the heavy use of Havok physics and L4D's sheer quantity of AI that's the problem. Mobile CPUs just aren't powerful enough to deal with that. Particularly not the 3DS's.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Luigiv said:
It's not the source engine (which should would actually be very easy to port), it's the heavy use of Havok physics and L4D's sheer quantity of AI that's the problem. Mobile CPUs just aren't powerful enough to deal with that. Particularly not the 3DS's.
Oh right. Initial comment was about Portal, so AI is not a problem. Maybe physics though, but I am sure there are ways around that. Even the Wii can do good physics when everyone thought it would struggle.

brain_stew said:

A game doing what Portal does should work fine if it was rewritten for efficiency, there's only a handful of objects per level. It sounds like the portal physics were a bit of a fudge in Source.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
This "potential" and "evolution" business is ultimately meaningless, as really immediate ease-of-development is a much higher concern. It's a portable platform, it's not meant for some software R&D and people don't want to/expect high budgets for vast majority of projects. The few more ambitious developers will have to accept the platform for what it is, for the sake of smaller guys. I don't say that higher flexibility and ease of development are mutually exclusive, but cost and performance per watt are far more important than some future potential.

The tradeoff was absolutely for cost and power consumption, not so much accessibility. Accessibility - at this stage, with the experience most devs have of programmable gpus - and flexibility aren't mutually exclusive. Devs can reach a good average level with programmable hardware now.

brain_stew - I agree that there's an argument to be made about programmability vs fixed function performance at a lower power/dollar cost in the mobile space. I think the point about raw performance requirements to explore programmability well is a well made one too. But I still don't think it's really an easy trade to make. It is probably for Nintendo given their priorities, but I depending on one's outlook it's not necessarily so easy. We're probably not far off mobile hardware that will, if you like, make more sense of this generality. The 3DS gpu makes a bet upfront about what will be relevant most of the time to most developers, and this may work out for them. But a programmable GPU, to the limit of the performance that backs it, leaves things an open question, and that has its attractions too. It allows the pipeline to evolve, and I think we will see that even to some degree on current hardware and to a greater degree on mobile hardware going forward. Already we can see developers take different approaches to the pipeline within the confines of current mobile hardware (e.g. idTech5 vs UE3)..there's enough power there to do both of those kinds of approach. On the home consoles, though they are much more powerful, and while I agree many devs tick fairly common boxes in terms of effects and implementations, I think there definitely has been an evolution in typical approach to shading among multiplats and particularly among platform-exclusive developers. Approaches that are found to be better or cheaper often trickle down. There has been a degree of learning and 'evolution' for want of a better word over the years, and that's nice in a closed system that's going to be around a while. I understand the point about the need for performance to back up the architecture in order to facilitate this, and I get there's a question mark over how much 'evolution' is possible on current mobile hardware because of this, but if we're not there yet, I'm not sure we're very far off it. (And personally I do think we've not reached the bottom of what a iPhone can do for example - yet. The big boys have only just turned their attention to it, and I think there's probably more mileage here.)

Anyway, I'm am playing 'generality's advocate' here :) I am also glad that we're seeing both approaches, it's no harm to have a variety of takes on the problem.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Soneet said:
Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470. Nothing is really great about it. Left 4 Dead doesn't seem too crazy on the geometry and AI. It probably doesn't do a lot of things with physics (zombie hit detection doesn't seem to be per limp or anything that fancy). Left 4 Dead 2 on the other hand has a lot of gimmicky physics stuff (always checking hit detection on many things), completely killing the framerate for me.

I just meant the word physics, I'm not sure if my ATI card does anything with Physx (or if L4D2 even uses it).
That CPU is light years ahead of anything handheld, and will probably stay that way for many years to come.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
I to believe that Sony can release a successful handheld, in terms of being profitable and with a good library of games. But the original intent of the PSP, to steal Nintendo and Apple lunch, is aiming impossibly high now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
The tradeoff was absolutely for cost and power consumption, not so much accessibility. Accessibility - at this stage, with the experience most devs have of programmable gpus - and flexibility aren't mutually exclusive. Devs can reach a good average level with programmable hardware now.

brain_stew - I agree that there's an argument to be made about programmability vs fixed function performance at a lower power/dollar cost in the mobile space. I think the point about raw performance requirements to explore programmability well is a well made one too. But I still don't think it's really an easy trade to make. It is probably for Nintendo given their priorities, but I depending on one's outlook it's not necessarily so easy. We're probably not far off mobile hardware that will, if you like, make more sense of this generality. The 3DS gpu makes a bet upfront about what will be relevant most of the time to most developers, and this may work out for them. But a programmable GPU, to the limit of the performance that backs it, leaves things an open question, and that has its attractions too. It allows the pipeline to evolve, and I think we will see that even to some degree on current hardware and to a greater degree on mobile hardware going forward. Already we can see developers take different approaches to the pipeline within the confines of current mobile hardware (e.g. idTech5 vs UE3)..there's enough power there to do both of those kinds of approach. On the home consoles, though they are much more powerful, and while I agree many devs tick fairly common boxes in terms of effects and implementations, I think there definitely has been an evolution in typical approach to shading among multiplats and particularly among platform-exclusive developers. Approaches that are found to be better or cheaper often trickle down. There has been a degree of learning and 'evolution' for want of a better word over the years, and that's nice in a closed system that's going to be around a while. I understand the point about the need for performance to back up the architecture in order to facilitate this, and I get there's a question mark over how much 'evolution' is possible on current mobile hardware because of this, but if we're not there yet, I'm not sure we're very far off it. (And personally I do think we've not reached the bottom of what a iPhone can do for example - yet. The big boys have only just turned their attention to it, and I think there's probably more mileage here.)

Anyway, I'm am playing 'generality's advocate' here :) I am also glad that we're seeing both approaches, it's no harm to have a variety of takes on the problem.
Well, I side with Nintendo, for now, given the fact that there's no current hand-held within the level of graphical fidelity giving near as much battery life as it is promised with the 3DS. Of course, for all we know, the 3DS could end having a dog of battery life, and this was actually a concern for many of us (or high price) after we saw the tech demos. But now that some specs are out, the debate is now if its too weak... I think that clearly Nintendo is doing something right.

Lonely1 said:
Well, I side with Nintendo, for now, given the fact that there's no current hand-held within the level of graphical fidelity giving near as much battery life as it is promised with the 3DS. Of course, for all we know, the 3DS could end having a dog of battery life, and this was actually a concern for many of us (or high price) after we saw the tech demos. But now that some specs are out, the debate is now if its too weak... I think that clearly Nintendo is doing something right.
If there's one thing Nintendo does right it's battery life.
As for too weak, I think people have unrealistic expectations regarding technology.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
AceBandage said:
If there's one thing Nintendo does right it's battery life.
As for too weak, I think people have unrealistic expectations regarding technology.
Dude, seriously. People are upset with a mini Gamecube/Xbox in their pocket? (possibly better IMO) and in 3D?

If you are get an iPhone an play the amazingly dull UE3 tech demo... great graphics, limited controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom