• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No More Heroes interview of spoilers and win. Classic Con is in, Motion + out.

jrricky

Banned
1UP: You mentioned once that No More Heroes 2 would be the last game in the series on Wii. Have you done any experiments on what it might be like on another platform, especially with the new motion controllers that have been announced for other systems?

GS: Actually, I answered differently, and it may have been misinterpreted. What I wanted to say was, looking at the Wii, I think No More Heroes 2 will probably be the last iteration for this current platform. But there's probably going to be a "Wii 2" or other next-gen system from Nintendo at some point, so I was saying that I would want to do another game in the series on the next Nintendo platform.

I want to continue the No More Heroes series, but I've finished the story for Travis. It's completely finished in No More Heroes 2. So I want to think of a different story -- a different character, or something like that within the series -- starting on the next Nintendo platform.
So glad he shuts these people up on it moving from a Nintendo platform...

So, now that we've seen Shinobu's gameplay, I really want to see how the Giant Robot will play out.
It really needs to be a ZoE tribute.

TunaLover said:
me? really?

"mentioned" and "he wanted" are past tense, as in he use to want NMH on the 360, which with the source I gave you proved that he did. If I wrote "how he has always wanted" or "how he wants" than you'd have a point. But instead you insist as if I kept saying the latter for some reason.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
John Harker said:
You clearly have no idea who I am.

Is that important?
I remember the Official Thread btw... so, what now?

John Harker said:
And you also don't entirely know what you're talking about.

You know, I could rebound you with the same exact reply you gave to me above, except maybe this time it would actually mean something.

You're going off you're own way, but I really got no time to go into this discussion since I don't think it's really worth it (I don't mean because of you, but 'cause of the subject you're touching now, which is extrapolating some lines from my post and giving an interpratation to that that doesn't really flow with what I intended.
Bottom line and best example is that:

John Harker said:
To point, to say you swear off NMH2 because of no N+ support shows you never played or understood NMH1. That's all. I have 2 M+s, and Redsteel 2 will justify that purchase enough for me. Leave NMH out of it.

I'll be there day one, replaying in anticipation my NMH1 NTSC and PAL.
I sure enjoyed it even if I didn't get the game at all, right? Ok.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kotaku said:
"I originally didn't want to make another No More Heroes," says game designer Goichi Suda. The game was supposed to be a one off dealio, but when the title did well, sequels do happen.

"It's not just that," Suda explains. "I wanted to revisit Travis Touchdown. I wanted to write the continuation of his story." NMH lead hero Travis Touchdown is joined by more characters and boss battles this go round in No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle. The title has been in development for about a year and a half and is shooting for an early 2010 release.

"Right now, I don't think I'll make another one, though," says Suda. "This game does wrap up Travis' story nicely." But so many movies are in trilogies — a point that movie buff Suda is quick to concede.

With the advent of Sony's new wand-like motion controls, it would not be a stretch to see something like No More Heroes ported over to the PS3. "I'm not playing platform favorites," says Suda. "For me, No More Heroes is about two handed controls — the way you play. But I do very much think of the game as being a Wii title."

http://kotaku.com/5366563/but-will-there-be-no-more-no-more-heroes

I like how Kotaku put in that bit about seeing the series ported over to the PS3.

TunaLover

Flying_Phoenix said:
"mentioned" and "he wanted" are past tense, as in he use to want NMH on the 360, which with the source I gave you proved that he did. If I wrote "how he has always wanted" or "how he wants" than you'd have a point. But instead you insist as if I kept saying the latter for some reason.

You seems to imply that Suda wanted the game so much on 360 your earlier post, when your "how much he wanted the game on 360". If you read my post you will notice that was my main gripe.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Two interviews up now.

Suda said:
Suda: You'll see around 10 2D mini-games in No More Heroes 2, and they'll all be done in the retro 2D, 8-bit style. I thought that'd be a fun way to re-imagine them. If you want to play them though so far you need to actually go to the areas in the story mode, and I'm not sure yet if I'll include them as any separate challenge mode. So far they're contained only in the story mode.
IGN said:
IGN: I saw those and instantly thought about a No More Heroes DS game – 2D hack-n-slash arcade game…

Suda: Oh yes. That could also be done on WiiWare too quite well…
More
http://wii.ign.com/articles/102/1029592p1.html

Joystiq said:
Joystiq: Some of the big appeal of No More Heroes comes from the satisfying finishing move motion. How does that work with the Classic Controller?

Suda: The most natural way to have this gameplay system with the slash move on the Classic Controller is to put the special move on the left analog stick. So now you don't move your hand anymore, you just move the analog stick in the right direction based on how it's written on the screen.
Moar
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/29/tgs-2009-interview-suda-51/

Basically,
-No More Heroes 2 includes around 10 2d minigames.
-Could potentially be a separate challenge mode for minigames
-Not thinking about NMH3. If made, could be on Super Wii.
-Again, this game
concludes the epic tale of Travis Touchdown
-Again, last title on Wii.
-Game is not being modified too much for Classic Controller.
-Classic Controller Controls: A, B correspond to Wii-Remote buttons, Right Analog stick Motion Death Blows.
-Bonus: Suda secret game stuff, main character has a "Cool Watch" Viewtiful Joe: Suda Version am confirmed.

beef3483

I didn't buy the Wii so that I could play with old controller tech.

And the first NMH wasn't good enough for me to care about this without m+ support.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
beef3483 said:
I didn't buy the Wii so that I could play with old controller tech.

And the first NMH wasn't good enough for me to care about this without m+ support.

So if I understand correctly, you will be passing on this game because of the lack of Motion+?
Were the 1st game's motion controls really that bad? I have 98 or so hours of play time and responsiveness has never been an issue. The Schpeltiger, sure, but never under any other circumstance.

Christ, it's amazing how some of you people think the Motion+ is the Second Coming.:lol

thefro

I imagine Suda has been much more involved with this than we originally thought with the EA/Q Entertainment project not even ready to be shown, Kurayami not in development and Project S still just the radio play.

They maybe have a few people working on the Silver Case DS remake, but Grasshopper probably can actually manage that workload.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah, so interview.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-no-more/57306

The reason I'm posting this really is because in the background you can see what looks like the opening for this game as well as some other small things as well.

But generally,

-One 2d minigame has Travis crushing bugs
-More Character development
-(During the Interview), you'll get a look at Travis' Room, (Looks like blood? splatters on the wall?) and what looks like the outside with the camera panning Motel No More Heroes. Tall ass structures nearby.

There are also some vids of the TGS demo with Nathan Copeland up, except this time from someone who's probably never played a Wii game in their lifetime.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
HOLY FUCKIN SHIT I DON"T KNOW WHERE THIS FUCKING CAME FROM BUT HOLY SHIT EVERY GO FUCKING WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW HOLY SHIT

SPOILERS
HENRY

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14288376/no-more-heroes-2/videos/hero2_trl_henry_102109.html

Neo-Ayame Blackburn?
Boss that has a floating car that has long-ass chainsaws attached, Pb are initials, seems like he has some sorta death or Vampire/coffin theme. http://i36.tinypic.com/b6dk5w.png
There's also a decapitated head that shows up for a split secondhttp://i36.tinypic.com/30kaow7.png

Threi

notag
"I must be having a nightmare.....FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRR"
:lol

btw what the HELL was henry fighting in the beginning...It seems like a little girl with giant mech arms, but then her head is gigantic...creepy stuff.

*sry spoiler tagged*

Nicktals

Banned
Travis: "Henry?"

Henry: "Don't be deceived so easily..."

the plot is going to be fucking weird...and I can't fucking wait.

Hiltz

If there's one thing I've learned from playing Grasshopper Manufacture's original games it's to expect the unexpected. :D

One of the few things I hope Desperate Struggle improves on from the original game is to have a better soundtrack. I liked some of the tracks in the first game but the main theme was played too often along with the remixed versions. Hopefully, the mini game music will also be better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
G.O.O. said:
Fans : so is Henry dead or not ?
Suda : *puts sunglasses on* fuck you.

<3

:lol

I quite like that theory though, with
Henry existing in some kind of afterlife, taking on more obscure creations, battling his way out of hell, so to speak.

On that note, should we really have
Henry and Shinobu
as requiring spoiler tags?
They were both in the original, and both have official trailers for their inclusion in this sequel.

If people dont want to be spoiled or are going on media blackouts they should stop visiting a thread about the sequel in the first place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rewatching the trailer, coupled with the hands-on footage we got not too long ago, it really seems like they've removed the high/low stance feature. If it's in there's no icon on the HUD to represent it.

Razien

Banned
EatChildren said:
Rewatching the trailer, coupled with the hands-on footage we got not too long ago, it really seems like they've removed the high/low stance feature. If it's in there's no icon on the HUD to represent it.

That would be fucking lame. I loved the change of stance, and with some work, it could add an incredible layer of depth for the combat on higher difficulties.

Akai

So with the latest trailer we now know 15 bosses...

Nathan Copeland (Black Irish Rapper)
Helter Skelter 2
Kimmy the Schoolgirl
Cheerleader Squad [x 8] (Pretty sure they'll be counted individually in ranking!)
Destroyman (Shinobu battle)
Octogirl (reveal trailer boss)
Lolibot (Henry battle)
Pretend Batman (the guy Henry protects Travis from; you can see his portrait, Pb bat logo, and a thrown batarang)

I demand my Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly (x 4) boss battle!

EatChildren

Razien said:
That would be fucking lame. I loved the change of stance, and with some work, it could add an incredible layer of depth for the combat on higher difficulties.

I agree. Even though I dont feel it added much true depth to the combat of NMH, it added enough to give an extra option/switch in combat, and looked cool to boot.

Maybe they've switched the High/Low in favour of Single/Dual.

G.O.O.

That would be pretty weird, especially since playing with the stance was necessary against some enemies, and that enemies are supposed to have an improved IA in this one.

Maybe it's just the icon that disappeared. Not like it's very useful.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Akai said:
So with the latest trailer we now know 15 bosses...

Nathan Copeland (Black Irish Rapper)
Helter Skelter 2
Kimmy the Schoolgirl
Cheerleader Squad [x 8] (Pretty sure they'll be counted individually in ranking!)
Destroyman (Shinobu battle)
Octogirl (reveal trailer boss)
Lolibot (Henry battle)
Pretend Batman (the guy Henry protects Travis from; you can see his portrait, Pb bat logo, and a thrown batarang)

I demand my Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly (x 4) boss battle!

There's also
Million Gunman from the Shinobu Reveal and I wouldn't be surprised if they count New Destroyman as two separate ranks

EatChildren

rikichi said:
Any news on an actual release date?

Seems like they're keeping this game tightly under wraps.

It's not really. We've already seen a number of trailers and journalists have already gone hands-on with the title, and considering it probably wont hit until March at the earliest that's really quite a lot.

I actually think we're getting more updates out of this that pretty much any Wii title ever, and in a way that's really enjoyable. I dont have to wait long until there's some news, footage, or screens, and whenever they do hit there's always something interesting.

Akai

Surgeon Rocket said:
There's also
Million Gunman from the Shinobu Reveal and I wouldn't be surprised if they count New Destroyman as two separate ranks

Oh, good catch...I forgot about him since he was only mentioned in passing...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Akai said:
Oh, good catch...I forgot about him since he was only mentioned in passing...

There's a scene of
Million Gunman's head on Shinobu's katana in the trailer. I'm assuming it's him because the interview said Shinobu takes over for both New Destroyman and Million Gunman.

G.O.O.

Hello, it's me again, I played it today :)

I don't think I'll teach you a lot, but just a few thoughts :
- High/low stances are still there. Though, it may be due to a bad wiimote calibrating, but to make low stance, you have to hold the wiimote, well... low. Not horizontal like in the first, point it to the ground or bust.
- May be wrong about this, but I had the feeling that it had an influence on the way you slice enemies. High = decapitation, low = torso slash.
- The boss (still the hip-hop guy) was fucking hard o_o. I had to try two times before beating him (had no problems with Destroyman the first time I tried the 1), and the booth guy told me that only three persons won over him (me being the third). It may be due to the arena, though.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
G.O.O. said:

- High/low stances are still there. Though, it may be due to a bad wiimote calibrating, but to make low stance, you have to hold the wiimote, well... low. Not horizontal like in the first, point it to the ground or bust.
- May be wrong about this, but I had the feeling that it had an influence on the way you slice enemies. High = decapitation, low = torso slash.
- The boss (still the hip-hop guy) was fucking hard o_o. I had to try two times before beating him (had no problems with Destroyman the first time I tried the 1), and the booth guy told me that only three persons won over him (me being the third). It may be due to the arena, though.

Wow. Where did you play it?

The High/low stance isn't too surprising. Although I'd prefer them to go back to the 3-stance system they had way back in the beta.

Also, it's good to know that the difficulty has not been compromised!:D

G.O.O. said:

EXCITING

Top Bottom