• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Oddworld 4 ingame screens!

Looks great!!

oddworld-stranger-20040818023131811.jpg

oddworld-stranger-20040818023132249.jpg

oddworld-stranger-20040818023132764.jpg

oddworld-stranger-20040818023134358.jpg

oddworld-stranger-20040818023133218.jpg

ElyrionX

Everytime I hear the word "Oddworld", I get a mental image of some loser from that company whining about how difficult it is to program games for the PS2........

White Man

Excuse me for not following the development of this game as the previous entry left me cold to the series: Does the FPS viewpoint mean that the communication aspects of the previous games are being downplayed? Is this going to be straight action?

aku:jiki

White Man said:
Excuse me for not following the development of this game as the previous entry left me cold to the series: Does the FPS viewpoint mean that the communication aspects of the previous games are being downplayed? Is this going to be straight action?
No. It uses the same technique as games such as Thief III and The Suffering -- ie, switching perspectives between first and third with the click of a button. I love it on both aforementioned games (even though The Suffering kinda blows), and am looking forward to more games using it.

Stranger has at least one hub town where you can talk to people and, I guess, shop and take up new bounties.

Oddworld Stranger != Oddworld 4

OS is just a spin-off. And the next game in the Oddworld Quintology will be Oddworld 3 and not Oddworld 4.

Nevertheless I can't wait to put my hands on this game!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was watching the presentation video of this game yesterday, and it indeed looks awesome. It's funny as hell too. Has anyone else seen that video? The one where at the beginning the main guy wreaks some havoc in the friendly town, and everyone becomes frenzied and hides inside their houses?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yeah i saw that, it did look cool, only thing that worries me is that MS dropped it, which suggests there's something wrong. Hopefully MS just didnt want to publish another FPS when they asked for a platformer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is 3rd person / 1st person combo, btw, and from what I've seen, with very smoothly executed transitions too.

I hope MS just dropped it because of it's oddness, because they thought it would be unmarketable - not because there's something fundametally flawed with the game.

Yeah, I heard something about the ammo...Can you still shoot people directly with it? I heard that you have to shoot it on the ground, near an enemy, or something, which if true is a little odd...No pun intended.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah, I heard something about the ammo...Can you still shoot people directly with it? I heard that you have to shoot it on the ground, near an enemy, or something, which if true is a little odd...No pun intended.

its "live" meaning you fire creatures which you find in the world, some are direct targetted there do seem to be a lot that arent but think of them more as smoke grenades/flash bangs etc, they havent shown anything that you wouldnt find in Sam Fishers arsenal so far (in terms of functionality), the interesting thing (i guess) is that you can upgrade the ammo creatures to make them more effective.

Lanning made a big thing of Live ammo but to me it didnt sound like anything new in terms of actual gameplay.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I must say I didn't quire got the concept of live ammo and I skipped good chunk of the video as to not spoil the game too much (the video shows some 20 minutes of gameplay) but from what I've seen, some ammo allows you to shoot directly into enemies. Some ammo can kill them, some only confuses them, so that you can catch them alive (you use some kind of vacuum cleaner device for that which makes awesome *POP* sound after it's done vacuuming)

Top Bottom