• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch hero revealed: Ana (Amari, Pharah's mother), Support Sniper

Slixshot

Banned
Did anyone else read the Gamespot artiicle? Changes coming to competitive play:

We got the opportunity to speak to Blizzard's principal designer, Scott Mercer, and he told us that players can expect some changes to Competitive Play in the near future. There will soon be a one-hero limit, which will prevent teams from having multiple players using the same hero. And when Season 2 commences, Sudden Death will be removed in favor of ending a game in a tie.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If they add just one character at a time it's going to be a reeeaaaaal shit show each week they put them out.

People bitched when they updated the Beta's with several characters so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zaccheus

Banned
people in the fanart thread were complaining that there were no old women and that conversely Mercy being 37 didn't look old enough

it's weird I know

they assumed that it was the #patriarchy stopping blizzard from releasing older looking women and it was their duty to inform everyone that it was problematic and demeaning to women and pretty much the most heinous thing blizzard has ever done.

nevermind the fact that overwatch has gone above and beyond with its representation compared to everything else out there, these people still see to it that there's outrage to be had.

Kalentan

Is the dude on the left possibly a young Genji? He doesn't look like the young Genji skin, but it would fit, lore-wise (before becoming a cyborg).

I'm guessing the woman on the right is the real Sombra.

OverwatchGenjiYoungGenjiSkin2.jpg

I can sort of see it but I don't think Genji worked with Overwatch until after he got his cybernetics. In fact I believe him working for Overwatch was because Mercy saved his life.

Beartruck

Im more excited about the massive buff Dva's defense matrix is getting. Turning from a cooldown ability to an on/off toggle will be godlike.

MajorMane

Is the dude on the left possibly a young Genji? He doesn't look like the young Genji skin, but it would fit, lore-wise (before becoming a cyborg).

Genji didn't join Overwatch until after he became a cyborg, so no, it doesn't fit. More than likely not a character we know about already.

Chuck

Still without luck
People bitched when they updated the Beta's with several characters so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not the same thing though. If they add one character, everyone is going to want to try her right when she comes out. If they instead added like, 1 to each class, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

I expect fucking chaos in quick play.

Arkeband

Banned
Whats up with these snarky comments

There was a really big thread where Overwatch, being like the cornucopia of character design, was being labeled "problematic" because it didn't have old ladies. Now it has an old lady, so people are pointing it out one way or the other.

Did anyone else read the Gamespot artiicle? Changes coming to competitive play:

Nice. Both of those make sense.

Kouichi

So Ana can:

-Put enemies to sleep
-Heal teammates
-Poison enemies

My god, this character was made for me. I can't wait to play as her!

Came here expecting the "why aren't there old women in Overwatch" thread to be necro'd. Pleasantly surprised that it hasn't yet.

Also amusing to see Blizzard continue to be two steps ahead of those sorts of complaints, as much like how Zarya and Mei were in development well before the complaints that all of the girls in the game were skinny/conventionally attractive Ana was obviously around well before that thread.

cool but i won't play her because my snipe skill is terrible. hopefully we get people who are skilled to pick her.

her abilities are good too. wonder if she'll make the game balanced or unbalanced.

Same here. She looks fantastic and has nice skills but god I fucking suck at playing snipers. :(

Wanderer5

Time to honed my sniper skills some more heh, cause she looks like a nice and unique support, not to mention quite a badass mom.:p

That's not the same thing though. If they add one character, everyone is going to want to try her right when she comes out. If they instead added like, 1 to each class, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

I expect fucking chaos in quick play.

that was the same thing though

they added dva, mei, and genji(?) who were each a different class but people still complained

blizzard can't win. using the 1 character approach is probably the best tried and true method

Alienous

do you want an actual number? is her white hair and crows feet not enough?

I would have liked to see them lean into her age, to contrast the generally youthful female cast. Just for visual variety. I didn't realize that the silver hair was supposed to connote her age until watching the background video.

Kalentan

I imagine she couldn't kill Widowmaker because like others in Overwatch, she probably worked with her husband and knew Widowmaker before she was brainwashed by Talon.

Top Bottom