• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Play Control Pikmin 2 (Wii) FINALLY comes to Wii U eShop in NA tomorrow

Dad

As someone that got Pikmin 3 free from buying Mario Kart 8 and ended up loving it, are the first two games worth going back to?

Nintendo really should just stop trying to support the Wii U. The Switch is a more lucrative platform for them to support, especially to give new owners something to fill out the minimal library.

HeySeuss

As someone that got Pikmin 3 free from buying Mario Kart 8 and ended up loving it, are the first two games worth going back to?

They're both good in their own way, but the knock on the first one is the time limit. It makes you feel rushed to the point that it takes away the enjoyment for some.

The second one has no time limit, and is generally thought of as the better of the two.

KTS2448

Pikmin 1 is just a basic no nonsense version of 3. Solid, Short, and sweet. Pikmin 2 is like 1 and 3 but with added difficulty, types of pikmin, and more puzzles in the form of caves. All 3 are worth playing and different in their own right.

careksims

Hah! Wii U in 2017. I agree with someone about just stop supporting the Wii U. It's DEAD! I already put it away in the closet. Just bring everything to Switch.

Dad

Not that I think it should be exclusive to Switch, but the lack of dual support is boggling in my mind. Why support a platform that they've all but abandoned?

They would have to have a Wii emulator up and running on Switch for this to even possibly release on the platform since it's just a dump of the Wii game and not an actual port. I doubt competent Wii emulation is even feasible on the Switch's hardware

What blows my mind is why they didn't just dump they're Wii games on Wii U. A handful of Wii games hit the store and that is it, seemingly for no reason.

Nintendo really should just stop trying to support the Wii U. The Switch is a more lucrative platform for them to support, especially to give new owners something to fill out the minimal library.

The fuck is wrong with people today trying to cut out other platforms just because they believe they can get what they want much faster? Over at the PS+ thread where folks demanding Sony should stop supporting PS3 with "free" games so they can have more PS4 items and now here.

Almost all of Nintendo is supporting the Switch save for just the small percentage that's just putting out a random VC title or two since the Virtual Console hasn't been introduced to the Switch yet. Not everyone who owned a Wii U is out there buying a Switch. I'm glad Pikmin 2 is coming out because I never owned a Gamecube to play it and it'll be cool to finally play the game since I still have my Wii U.

The support for older systems will cease eventually so hold your horses.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

give me a break. for one thing, this is a far cry from "support."

Mael

The wiiU has plenty of games. The Switch does not.

I'd love pikmin 1 and 2 remade in hd for switch. I'd also love DKCR remade in hd while they're at it.

I'm pretty sure it's a little bit harder to make a HD remake than it is to just put a ISO dump to sell...
Just saying.

dhonk

I dont know why they didnt just pump these out BEFORE the fucking Switch came out. Nintendo quite often makes no god damn sense.

Hilarion

If there's anything they should do with Wii U now it's getting Wii titles on it. Wii U's collector afterlife will be as the definitive hardware solution for Wii games, and having 30 and counting Wii titles available on the eShop helps even more.

It also caps game inflation. If they ever put Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on the eShop, even just for the Wii U, the physical price would go down a fair amount. At the moment, people who just want to play the game have to pay collector prices.

Ridley327

I'm one of the weirdos that prefers the other games over 2, but I can't deny that this did have a really nice presentation and the two captain gimmick does add quite a bit of depth to the gameplay versus the original game.

G0523

Well, this is unexpected but great news! Especially since Pikmin 2 is super hard to find and pretty pricey. It's still going for around $40 on both the GameCube and Wii. I still remember being on top of Pikmin 2's Wii release in the US since it was a stealth release that came three years after it was released in Japan and Europe. I knew if I didn't get it then it would be super hard to find.

Snagret

I'm a tad confused. It says Wiimote+Nunchuck required, but also that it's Wiiu Gamepad compatible. Does this mean you can play it with a Wiiu Gamepad or is it exclusive to the Wiimote, like the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Justinh

I already have both the Wii versions of the Pikmin games but I like that they're all available digitally now. I should actually play them someday. I've only played 1 back in the Gamecube days (and a teeny bit on Wii. Wii controls are great), but never beat it.

I'm still salty that I paid like 80 dollars for Pikmin 3 and like... literally the next month the prices plummeted because they started selling the Selects (or whatever Nintendo calls 'em)

I'm a tad confused. It says Wiimote+Nunchuck required, but also that it's Wiiu Gamepad compatible. Does this mean you can play it with a Wiiu Gamepad or is it exclusive to the Wiimote, like the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Probably use the Gamepad as a display and sensor bar while playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuk I'd guess.

This is literally a Wii ISO

Also only had Wii remote support.

That's fine, but the Switch has essentially a Wii remote and nunchuck included. That shouldn't prevent a Wii game from releasing for the system.

give me a break. for one thing, this is a far cry from "support."

In my opinion, any game released for a platform is support. I'm not saying that it is a great deal of said support, but it is either way.

They would have to have a Wii emulator up and running on Switch for this to even possibly release on the platform since it's just a dump of the Wii game and not an actual port. I doubt competent Wii emulation is even feasible on the Switch's hardware

This is a fair point, but there's also something about this that consumers shouldn't ignore. Nintendo could have been using the past 2+ years getting a Wii emulator, or software conversion process in place to support their new console with content that is already released on and continues to be released on their now last generation hardware. It's just an odd decision for a software deprived hardware manufacturer to make for the launch of their next big thing. Mind you, I'm perfectly happy with the handful of games that I own now and am looking forward to MK8, but it would be nice to have the option to buy some Wii/VC games that are tied to my account and allow be to play at home or away.

The fuck is wrong with people today trying to cut out other platforms just because they believe they can get what they want much faster? Over at the PS+ thread where folks demanding Sony should stop supporting PS3 with "free" games so they can have more PS4 items and now here.

Almost all of Nintendo is supporting the Switch save for just the small percentage that's just putting out a random VC title or two since the Virtual Console hasn't been introduced to the Switch yet. Not everyone who owned a Wii U is out there buying a Switch. I'm glad Pikmin 2 is coming out because I never owned a Gamecube to play it and it'll be cool to finally play the game since I still have my Wii U.

The support for older systems will cease eventually so hold your horses.

Again, as I stated in this thread to a similar comment: the support for Wii U isn't my issue, it's the lack of simultaneous support for their new hardware. The decision is just counter to what they should be doing in my opinion. In all likelihood a rerelease of a rerelease on their worst selling console isn't going to be making them much money, but that same game coming to the Switch would be much more beneficial.

Mr-Joker

Banned

For me personally it would be Pikmin 1, Pikmin 3 then Pikmin 2.

Though honestly speaking they are all great games and I glad that Nintendo did the new play series for Pikmin as the addition of motion pointer made the game all the more playable for me.

Not that I think it should be exclusive to Switch, but the lack of dual support is boggling in my mind. Why support a platform that they've all but abandoned?

Because not every Wii U owner jumped ship to the Switch and adding Pikmin 2 onto the Wii U isn't going to cause any harm or take away support for the Switch.

I think this is the last missing that released in EU Wii U VC that had not yet come over besides a couple Europe only releases. Europe is still missing a few titles but for the most part, not expecting much since they've been less frequent with updating.

No, this is awful. They sold nearly 14 million of those things to people, this is an easy way to throw them a bone. All those owners couldn't move to Switch even if they wanted to, there just aren't enough out there.

Because not every Wii U owner jumped ship to the Switch and adding Pikmin 2 onto the Wii U isn't going to cause any harm or take away support for the Switch.

Ignore the part of my post where I mention it is the lack of release on BOTH platforms that doesn't make sense to me. By your own logic, what harm would it do to release a GameCube, made Wii, made Wii U game...on the Switch as well?

No, this is awful. They sold nearly 14 million of those things to people, this is an easy way to throw them a bone. All those owners couldn't move to Switch even if they wanted to, there just aren't enough out there.

Read my later posts, the support for the Wii U isn't my big gripe, the fact that they're not releasing this late cycle Wii U content on their new console also is silly.

The thing is these weekly downloads were probably already in the works to begin with even with the Switch launching, possibly even sat on for a bit, why not just let it go into the eShop, make some more bucks while the Switch keeps selling and later on sell it to them again via VC upgrade.

Hilarion

I think this is the last missing that released in EU Wii U VC that had not yet come over besides a couple Europe only releases. Europe is still missing a few titles but for the most part, not expecting much since they've been less frequent with updating.

No, New Super Mario Bros Wii still somehow isn't on the NA eShop, so there's at least one more.

Top Bottom