• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Play Control Pikmin 2 (Wii) FINALLY comes to Wii U eShop in NA tomorrow

Jawmuncher

So glad to see Nintendo still cares about WiiU /s

It's better than nothing, but damn I doubt there was anything holding this up from happening sooner.

rekameohs

Banned
Nintendo really should just stop trying to support the Wii U. The Switch is a more lucrative platform for them to support, especially to give new owners something to fill out the minimal library.
This takes no effort; Wii U supports Wii games natively. All they had to do was scan the manual for the digital manual and make an icon.

Read my later posts, the support for the Wii U isn't my big gripe, the fact that they're not releasing this late cycle Wii U content on their new console also is silly.
They haven't even announced virtual console for Switch yet, it's obviously not ready, let alone full blown Wii emulation.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if that would be possible. Not in regards to the hardware (though that wouldn't be simple either, given the Switch's different architecture compared to Wii/Wii U), but in regards to control schemes. Joy-Cons functioning as replacements for Wii Remote and Nunchuk sounds way easier on paper than it will likely be in practice--different connectivity inputs aside (Wii Remote's infrared vs. Joy-Con's Bluetooth), they'd also have to do some extensive button re-mapping due to how different the Joy-Cons are from the Wii Remote (and Nunchuk) in their form factors and button layouts.

And that's speaking in the hypothetical context of emulating one Wii game, meaningful changes that would need to be made to make Wii games work properly on Switch VC would likely vary on a game-by-game basis (compared to other consoles on VC that used traditional controllers). Nintendo would probably be better off making direct Switch ports of Wii games altogether.

DrLazy

They're both good in their own way, but the knock on the first one is the time limit. It makes you feel rushed to the point that it takes away the enjoyment for some.

The second one has no time limit, and is generally thought of as the better of the two.

I don't think that's the consensus from fans. The time limit in Pikmin 2 was the crux of what made it such a tight package, encouraging you to maximize pikmin use, carefully avoid losing pikmin, and taking on multiple objects s at once. It was a great game to replay and all around is amazing.

Pikmin 2 fixed some control issues, such as dealing with Pikmin with bombs, and added a fun challenge mode. But the core game felt like a grind with no motivation to act quickly and gates requiring pure Pikmin numbers. The dungeons feel poorly designed and the overall package feels much looser. The original holds up much better and I would certainly recommend new players start with it

Smasher89

Yea, the no time limit (just for caves, which you could also reset in for each floor) made single player a bit less interesting(still beat that part 100%).

That said it's a good game, and the multiplayer is very different to the one in pikmin 3, making both stand out and be great multiplayer experiences too.

Not sure how the wiimote works for 2 though, I really did enjoy that you could aim better with a wiimote+nunchuk setup in 3. Losing the cstick in 2 to get more range I assume definitly effects the game balance in some ways!

Get it if you have any chance at all to play vs mode against someone, replay the same stage and see the strategies evolve into a very fun game!

Top Bottom