• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Plus is live in the US | Sony’s classic PlayStation games on PS Plus are 60hz in North America

thatJohann

Is there no monthly subscription to the new PS Plus tiers like GamePass? All I see is yearly upgrade options for Extra/Premium when I check my PS Plus subscription on my PS5. Hate the UI, it's so messy.

sainraja

That doesn't mean you get to keep them forever. I have P.T. in my library but I can't download it any more.
I don't think using PT as an example disproves what he said. Since PT isn't something that was offered via any subscription service, it was simply a demo that was later removed; only those that kept it installed are able to play it (not sure if that is even true anymore).

Sony should honor our purchases from the past when it comes to the PS1 classics (very disappointing). Oddly, there are some PS1 games you can add to your library for FREE (some of the ones I added, I did purchase in the past but not sure if that is why since I can't do that with RE1: DC). I am on Essential btw.
I think it's already been established that games available for purchase are free if you bought them before. Not all games appear to be able to be purchased however.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Here’s the full classics catalog. Nothing really new with PS2. It’s just the existing games you could always buy on PSN.

LVAP69j.jpg
ZH5yaur.jpg
Fkh8O5a.jpg
D5nLbpn.jpg
H7z0xj2.jpg
99ogl1y.jpg
Darkcloud 2?

sainraja

I think it's already been established that games available for purchase are free if you bought them before. Not all games appear to be able to be purchased however.
Understood. I was considering (what you have now clarified) that they might be locking some of the titles behind their subscription only which is unfortunate. The only reason I was questioning it is because I don't remember buying one of the games that I could add to my library without cost....but maybe I did buy it and forgot that I did.

Last edited:

Three

Are you even using it? I’ve been downloading stuff for the last half hour. You add them to your library like all other PS+ games.
So? What's that got to do with the license expiring IF it leaves the service?
ReBurn ReBurn is right.
You download the games and it's added to your library but if it's removed from the service it will just have a little lock on it saying you don't have the license (unless you buy the game)

It's day one.
There isn’t a single PS2 game running on a PS2 emulator.

You’d expect at least 10 games from the PS1, PS2 and PSP each as a starting point. Even that would have been bare bones.

They’ve had years to react to GamePass and although they can’t compete with deals with third parties, the classics is what is meant to be driving the most expensive tier.

It’s almost as if Sony think the PS3 gen has more value.

Knightime_X

Not being able to buy games like Resident Evil DC is a big OOF and kinda scummy on sony's part.
Not that i'm interested in re dc but future games where I don't mind paying for them instead of paying $150+ a year just to have access to them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sad to see they apparently haven't upped their classics game from JP. Expected a lot more out of the US one. Pass for me, for now at least.

AlexxKidd

I am immediately upgrading to the highest tier when I get off work and will continue to do so every year in perpetuity. However, it must be said that the classic selection of PS1 and PS2 games available at launch is inexcusable for a company that has so many classics in their PS1 and PS2 catalogues. They didn't even put many of their own PS1/PS2 games on there. I realize they want to roll these things out and drop them once or twice a month, but a base of at least 50 genuine PS1 games should have been ready to go at launch.

arvfab

Banned
Not being able to buy games like Resident Evil DC is a big OOF and kinda scummy on sony's part.
Not that i'm interested in re dc but future games where I don't mind paying for them instead of paying $150+ a year just to have access to them.

As someone living in Europe, this also means not having the possibility to get some games from the US shop to have them in 60hz.

yurinka

dont know. PAL seems to have no advantages at all. so dont know why it even exists.
nice but what about europe? dont fuck it up sony. dont leave us with the shitty 50hz versions.
Some PAL versions had higher resolution and extra languages. I assume this is the reason.

It would be nice to have a better 60Hz patch for PAL games, as some Retroarch emulators have or as it was done in non-official way in the original PS1. Or would be nice too to allow you to choose the version of the game (USA, PAL or Japanese).

No Vagrant Story, Alundra, Vandal Hearts, Front Mission 3 or a bunch of other classics I'd happily buy and replay again, hopefully they are added in time, preferably with trophy support though I won't hold my breath for that feature outside of 1st party stuff. Still, the service is promising and the future is bright 👌

dotnotbot

It’s amazing that Sony have totally dropped the ball on the classics library. People wanted lots of PS1, PSP and PS2 games running through good emulators. The PS2 debacle is the worst - one of the greatest libraries around and they just aren’t using it.

They didn't, it's just not ready yet.

They didn't, it's just not ready yet.
Then don’t launch the fucking service.

If they had literally launched with the game catalogue (which is okay) and then:

PS1 - 10 genuinely classic games like MGS, FF, Tomb Raider, Tomba etc
PS2 - another 10 genuine classics.
PS3 - fewer, better games.

Then people will have tolerated that. What they’ve offered is absolutely insane.

ManaByte

Yep, not with a full list.
What are you talking about. This is the full list for the US launch. It’s even on the US site:

That's cool I guess, but the selection of games is just woeful. I've got a Vita so I can already play whatever I want from PS1 and PSP, but even if I didn't there's no way I would spend money on this service. And where are the PS2 games? There are a ton of PS2 JRPGs that you can't play anywhere else (Xenosaga, Digital Devil Saga. . .), but they're nowhere to be found.

graywolf323

so I added Demon's Souls & Death Stranding to try out finally and now if I decide I want to buy them I can't get the digital deluxe editions 🤦‍♂️

edit: I thought they had fixed this with PS+ but was it still broken with PSNow? it's dumb that the only version of the game I can now buy are the base versions when there's no upgrade available to the digital deluxe...

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I will subscribe for a month or two to play demon's souls, control ue, returnal ghost of tsushima and death stranding director's cut, miles morales and iirc that's it. That's fine to me but it isn't on gamepass level where I subscribe for a year.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So many great games on this list, but the one I'm most hyped for is Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. Haven't played a DW game since 3 on the PS2. Hope the series has come a long way since then..

dotnotbot

What are you talking about. This is the full list for the US launch. It’s even on the US site:

I don't mean that list. I mean that they are going to gradually add more emulated classics. Sony decided current offering is already good enough to launch the service but the classics require testing so they're not ready yet all at once.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Are you able to remove them from your library and try again?
I canceled the downloads but the only option I see in my library is to hide them, even after hiding them the store pages for the digital deluxe versions still give the same message which is they can't be bought because they conflict with an item I already "own" which is the base game from PS+ :pie_eyeroll:

buenoblue

50hz on its own is fine. Back then playing pal games running at 50fps on a 50hz was bearable, mostly.

The problem is playing 50fps games interpolated to 60fps. This is way worse that what the Europeans got (50fps on 50hz). This means constant stutters even if the game you play never drops a frame.

It's the games that run at 30fps ntsc that really suffer. Pay runs those at 25 fps.

As for me I already have to many games that I own and haven't played lol. And there's bin high quality ways to play PS1 games for ages now. I have loads on my arcade machine and my phone.

ManaByte

Can anyone test Ape Escape 2 for PS2?
It was completely fucking broken on PS5 since launch and I've been very curious to see if they've updated it any for this release.

For reference, this is what it used to be like

I played it a couple of weeks ago and it was still broken.

Drew1440

Why in the hell was 50hz in Europe to begin with. Was not Sony’s fault.

dont know. PAL seems to have no advantages at all. so dont know why it even exists.

In theory PAL could give higher resolution, but this was dependant on developers taking advantage of the added vertical resolution, some did but many did not resulting in back bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Games running slow was also bad side effect, though I guess some players prefer the slower timings of the PAL versions of games.

Legally though, different publishers had rights to publish games in specific regions and this could also be a holdover, with the NTSC and PAL versions having different publishers and also being censored differently. UnJammerLammy is an example of this.

tmlDan

Then don’t launch the fucking service.

If they had literally launched with the game catalogue (which is okay) and then:

PS1 - 10 genuinely classic games like MGS, FF, Tomb Raider, Tomba etc
PS2 - another 10 genuine classics.
PS3 - fewer, better games.

Then people will have tolerated that. What they’ve offered is absolutely insane.
they are still offering a ton of games, when gamepass launched it was also trash.

These services take time to flesh out regardless of whether they had a semi-similar platform prior.

Top Bottom