• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon coming in 2008? Likely Diamond/Pearl Expansion

MisterHero

Crushed said:
why has this thread turned into stupid
because you entered it

It's a good thing I haven't been able to afford D/P until now, so I can get this brand-newer version.

welcome back crushed
Crushed said:
before that

the gamefaqs role-playing stupid
wut was that in the smash thread between "you" and "Sp0rsk"?

hmm? HMM?

Yeah, this is inevitable. But personally, unless we get it next year, I doubt I'll play it right away (I just started back up on Pearl this month after playing Diamond last year) - but if it brings the cool improvements Emerald brought to the table, I'm down to play eventually.

Speaking of future Pokemon games: I want a Pokemon TCG game on DS. The old Game Boy version was/is an awesome digital recreation of the Pokemon TCG, and looking at how beautifully Yu-Gi-Oh has done the same thing on DS, it's a crime Pokemon hasn't been brought forth despite how heavily Nintendo supporting the card game these days (and don't they hold all rights to it now?).

Or even bring the TCG to WiiWare, complete with microtransactions for buying digital boosters with Wii Points and whatnot.

mattso

to people who think there should be a bank of moves:

forcing you into a 4-move moveset makes you think hard about what moves you want your pokemon to know and how you want them to play

for instance:

infernape:

if you ran a mixed attacking infernape you could have
flare blitz
close combat
eartquake
stone edge
thunderpunch
u-turn
grass knot
flamethrower
overheat
hidden power
shadow claw
swords dance
nasty plot
fake out
blaze kick

and I'm sure there are a few more more viable options for the fighting flame monkey

it'd take things that have an incredible list of moves to learn from and make them even better and screw over pokemon who have a niche role but fill it very well.

lets look at mew. for anyone who knows anything about the metagame knows mew is an uber. mew doesnt have super amazing stats, great, but not amazing. the reason mew is an uber is because of its moveset. it can learn so much it has no counter. there is no way to know what a mew will do when you bring it into battle.

now, granted even with unlimited movesets not every pokemon has all the options mew has, but it would still be the same idea in many cases.

Firestorm

mattso, what we mean is make it so you can switch out which 4 moves you want. Sort of like the Move Relearner in DP but be allowed to reteach a TM and most importantly egg moves if you want as well.

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
mattso, what we mean is make it so you can switch out which 4 moves you want. Sort of like the Move Relearner in DP but be allowed to reteach a TM and most importantly egg moves if you want as well.

That would be nice as well.

Doesn't having a huge bank to be able to swap in-and-out from at any time give a weighted advantage to some Pokemon over others, essentially perhaps letting one Pokemon assume the role of dozens of others (since you could just choose which four moves you want to utilize out of the many in your bank, whenever you want)?

The four-move limitation seems pretty important, in that regard...to keep more Pokemon relevant, and as mattso said, because that's a pretty huge aspect of the game (deciding which Pokemon will learn which moves, managing the arsenal of each, etc) that would essentially be eliminated in favor of just adding any new moves to a big list.

I'm not a fan of the idea, personally - I like managing four moves per Pokemon at a time, it's a fun limitation.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
zaccheus said:
scrap pokemon past 251 and remake it from the ground up with active time battle systems that dont bore us todeath kthx

See, I'd like to see them take a chance on reinventing the battle system into something of an 'tactics' game, but then my thousands of hours of IV breeding, EV training, it's all for not!

Firestorm

Toy Soldier said:
Doesn't having a huge bank to be able to swap in-and-out from at any time give a weighted advantage to some Pokemon over others, essentially perhaps letting one Pokemon assume the role of dozens of others (since you could just choose which four moves you want to utilize out of the many in your bank, whenever you want)?

The four-move limitation seems pretty important, in that regard...to keep more Pokemon relevant, and as mattso said, because that's a pretty huge aspect of the game (deciding which Pokemon will learn which moves, managing the arsenal of each, etc) that would essentially be eliminated in favor of just adding any new moves to a big list.

I'm not a fan of the idea, personally - I like managing four moves per Pokemon at a time, it's a fun limitation.

Nope? You'd have to choose the moves before a battle begins. You can't switch moves mid-battles. EVs and moves would be decided before a battle. Sort of like a battle simulator. It just stops you from having to rebreed a Pokemon because you wanted Milotic to have Hypnosis instead of Haze or whatever.

For example, currently I want to try Raichu with Substitute. However, my current moveset for him is Nasty Plot, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Grass Knot. I require Encore for the moveset I want to try, Thunderbolt is obviously required. This leaves Nasty Plot and Grass Knot to remove for Substitute. I want to get rid of Nasty Plot as it's less useful on the set I want to try, but I can't because if the set doesn't work out, I can't get Nasty Plot back (egg move).

If we could switch around moves, then I could do this.

mattso

Firestorm said:
Nope? You'd have to choose the moves before a battle begins. You can't switch moves mid-battles. EVs and moves would be decided before a battle. Sort of like a battle simulator. It just stops you from having to rebreed a Pokemon because you wanted Milotic to have Hypnosis instead of Haze or whatever.

For example, currently I want to try Raichu with Substitute. However, my current moveset for him is Nasty Plot, Encore, Thunderbolt, and Grass Knot. I require Encore for the moveset I want to try, Thunderbolt is obviously required. This leaves Nasty Plot and Grass Knot to remove for Substitute. I want to get rid of Nasty Plot as it's less useful on the set I want to try, but I can't because if the set doesn't work out, I can't get Nasty Plot back (egg move).

If we could switch around moves, then I could do this.

I see your point

I guess this is why so many people use the ar or whatever for pokemon

I bred all my suckers legit myself.

I still think 4 set moves per poke is better though. It lets pokes have a role on a team that is set.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
The thought of a Pokemon metagame featuring five moveslots. Good luck inventing counters for that. ^_^

Although that'd be an interesting change, what I'm saying is have only 4, but let me delete a move for something else easily. And let me do it for ALL moves I forget, not just level up moves.

mattso said:
I see your point

I guess this is why so many people use the ar or whatever for pokemon

I bred all my suckers legit myself.

Mine are fully legit too, but I don't think I'll ever bother with WiFi again. Just so slow and hard to get going. Shoddy Battle when I feel like it now, but I'm just waiting for Competitor which will hopefully be done in the next year or two =/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
Although that'd be an interesting change, what I'm saying is have only 4, but let me delete a move for something else easily. And let me do it for ALL moves I forget, not just level up moves.

Mine are fully legit too, but I don't think I'll ever bother with WiFi again. Just so slow and hard to get going. Shoddy Battle when I feel like it now, but I'm just waiting for Competitor which will hopefully be done in the next year or two =/

I was just going off the subject, but I understand what you're saying.

Wifi/actual cartridge play I consider more of a hobby. Nintendo will never have enough options(filters, rules, tiers..), or allow for those convenient 'quick changes' to movesets that battle simulators will. Not to mention hour plus long fights on wifi. The humanity.

We can all dream though.

Rpgmonkey

Maybe I'm just losing interest in the games, but I lost interest in Diamond and Pearl after a while. Much shorter than the time I spent with the GBA games.

Hopefully the new version will have something new to rekindle my interest.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Slavik81 said:
Why does it need a remake? The game doesn't seem to have problems that would be fixed by a remake.

We're all whores to nostalgia, new move tutors, and anything else Nintendo wants to shove down our throats(Pokemon Ranch). :D

TreIII

Slavik81 said:
Why does it need a remake? The game doesn't seem to have problems that would be fixed by a remake.

It's not necessarily about fixing anything. Remaking the game would just make it so that, effectively, all versions of mainstream Pokemon games, up to now, would be playable on one system (the DS). GSC, being a GBC generation game, ain't playable on the DS, so making DS game would definitely remedy that. Then, it too can join the ranks of FR/LG, R/S/E and D/P(plus the D/P 3rd game) in one.

Plus, there are definitely some things about Johto that I miss, which I think could definitely stand to be revisited through a remake. And if they were to go forth and remake Kanto too (for the 2nd half of the game), so much the better.

It would probably stand to be a pretty massive package deal, which is why I think Ninty can afford to sit on such an idea for a while. But by this time next year, I'm sure they'll probably actually release it, so that the 4th Generation of Pokemon can indeed go out with a bang...

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
If this is announced alongside some kind of new Pokemon Snap, I will possibly void myself.

I played Pokemon Red when it came out, but whoever said the battle system is boring, yea, it is. I hope they finally have the balls to actually update the series instead of churning out a sequel with minor updates every few years and raking in the cash.

Why can't the battle system be more interesting, the concept behind the game is so amazing, combining a collect-a-thon with sRPG-ing. Genius, now if only they have it so its not the

A Wild Bidoof appeared!

Go! Tesla!

What will Tesla do?

[Fight]

[Tackle]

Tesla used Tackle!

(green bar goes down a tiny bit)

Wild Bidoof used Tackle!

What will Tesla do?

[Fight]

[Tackle]

Tesla used Tackle!

Wild Bid................

etcetcetcetc ad nauseum, I seriously can't get through Pokemon Diamond because of this.

So please Nintendo think about this when making sequels/expansion packs.

Sutanreyu

Jiggy37 said:
For the record, it's not that I actually want a G/S remake--I thought those were the worst in the series by a pretty wide margin, as far as the single-player goes--so much as that I think it's going to happen eventually no matter what, and if it's going to happen anyway I'd rather see it before the third D/P version.

It'd be fitting, since they released FireRed/LeafGreen before Emerald.

mattso

umbreon only has 2 decent movesets. mean look baton passing and curse+payback. jolteon is fast and has decent sp.A but has a very limited movepool. Unless you bred amazingly successfully to get the right hidden power, or are using something like shoddy, he pretty can only sub up, thunderbolt and shadow ball. no type coverage at all.

vaporeon blows them both out of the water

Man I have a feeling that anyone who discribed the battle system as "boring" has never played multiplayer.

mattso said:
umbreon only has 2 decent movesets. mean look baton passing and curse+payback. jolteon is fast and has decent sp.A but has a very limited movepool. Unless you bred amazingly successfully to get the right hidden power, or are using something like shoddy, he pretty can only sub up, thunderbolt and shadow ball. no type coverage at all.

My brother made a nasty Umbreon. Double Team, Toxic, Confuse Ray and Persuit.

Since Umbreon has good defenses, it can afford to risk taking a hit as it Toxics and double teams. It them hits with Confuse ray, and if you tried to switch out Persuit hit you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mattso said:

PataHikari said:
Man I have a feeling that anyone who discribed the battle system as "boring" has never played multiplayer.

My brother made a nasty Umbreon. Double Team, Toxic, Confuse Ray and Persuit.

Since Umbreon has good defenses, it can afford to risk taking a hit as it Toxics and double teams. It them hits with Confuse ray, and if you tried to switch out Persuit hit you.

For one, Curse+Payback is horrible setup bait for anything with a decent defense, or that resist dark. If Umby was UU, he'd have a lot more options to work with, but as it stand Mean Look passing while spreading status is about it.

As for PataHikari, evasion moves (Double Team) are really frowned upon in competitive play. The moveset will also have to watch out for steels (especially SpecsLucario, which will bypass all those double teams with Aura Sphere)

Firestorm

mattso said:

All the Eeveelutions have crappy movepools. Including Vaporeon. Jolteon and Vaporeon are pretty good despite that. Umbreon's seeing decreased usage in DP because it usually provides a free switch in to a lot of Pokemon.

Competitive Battles are usually played with Double Team and Minimize banned. Which is too bad as my DT passing Umbreon did fairly well in Smogon's first WiFi Tournament where they decided to see how Double Team would do unbanned.

Currently my Umbreon's moveset is Mean Look + Wish + Baton Pass + Taunt or Flash or something. I forget. Yawn + Mean Look + Baton Pass + Wish is a good moveset as well, but Yawn is a egg move which I can't get anymore.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I suspect this is the best place to ask. My daughter is 6 and is interested in Pokemon. She has some kids in school that have given her some cards to trade, but they aren't actually doing battle. The problem I have is I don't understand what makes a card more valuable than another and more importantly I know nothing about how the actual battles take place. Would Diamond or Pearl for the DS give us a better idea of the Pokemon world?

Firestorm

DenogginizerOS said:
I suspect this is the best place to ask. My daughter is 6 and is interested in Pokemon. She has some kids in school that have given her some cards to trade, but they aren't actually doing battle. The problem I have is I don't understand what makes a card more valuable than another and more importantly I know nothing about how the actual battles take place. Would Diamond or Pearl for the DS give us a better idea of the Pokemon world?

If the card game is still being sort of managed like it was when I was in elementary school, that means they should have "Starter Packs" which give you a full deck of 60 cards to play with. That will get her started for battling and comes with an instruction booklet. Cards usually have a symbol at the bottom right. Circle = Common. Diamond = Uncommon. Star = Rare.

Getting the DS game won't really help too much in the card game, but it'll get her familiar with the Pokemon and she might be interested in finding her favourites or something. The card game is based very, very loosely on the video game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Firestorm said:
If the card game is still being sort of managed like it was when I was in elementary school, that means they should have "Starter Packs" which give you a full deck of 60 cards to play with. That will get her started for battling and comes with an instruction booklet. Cards usually have a symbol at the bottom right. Circle = Common. Diamond = Uncommon. Star = Rare.

Getting the DS game won't really help too much in the card game, but it'll get her familiar with the Pokemon and she might be interested in finding her favourites or something. The card game is based very, very loosely on the video game.
Thanks, mate! I need to find a 60 card starter pack it sounds like. If I want to play against her, should I invest in a starter pack as well?

The only thing I'm dying to see out of a D/P remake is an addition of a global WiFi battle mode. Why D/P was friends only and PBR wasn't is beyond me.

In fact that was the only reason I bought PBR. :|

jsrv

Whole new game with new Pokemon? Would be very awesome, but doesn't seem likely to me

Probably going to be either Gold/Silver remake or third version of Diamond/Pearl.

DarthWufei said:
The only thing I'm dying to see out of a D/P remake is an addition of a global WiFi battle mode. Why D/P was friends only and PBR wasn't is beyond me.

In fact that was the only reason I bought PBR. :|

Oh PBR is the best.

Top Bottom