• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon coming in 2008? Likely Diamond/Pearl Expansion

zaccheus

Banned
i never got diagnosed, but whenever I want to read a book that i really really like, i have trouble concentrating on it.. i find myself reading the same sentence like 3 times.. and even then i just dont get it.

if its not ADD, what is it? maybe im just stupid and illiterate :[

CTLance

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks, mate! I need to find a 60 card starter pack it sounds like. If I want to play against her, should I invest in a starter pack as well?
Dunno how it works where you live, but in Germany a starter pack comes with two prebuilt decks, a handful random and rare cards, and a step-by-step instruction booklet for the first match (among other things). Eerily similar to the Magic the Gathering starter kits, actually... but I digress. See if you can find something like that at your local toy store.

Then just go by the instructions until both of you get the hang of it.

Neo Child

Banned
zaccheus said:
i never got diagnosed, but whenever I want to read a book that i really really like, i have trouble concentrating on it.. i find myself reading the same sentence like 3 times.. and even then i just dont get it.

if its not ADD, what is it? maybe im just stupid and illiterate :[

I do that as well, I can't seem to take in any information and keep it for the duration of the book really.

Firestorm

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks, mate! I need to find a 60 card starter pack it sounds like. If I want to play against her, should I invest in a starter pack as well?

Yeah. I'm fairly sure Pokemon is still 60 vs 60 cards. Also, don't know if the Starter Set exists anymore, but Theme Decks are still being made and they're basically the same thing.

I think you'd be looking at the ones on the right hand side of this page: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/tcgpreconstructed.html

Although the stuff on the top left bring back some great memories for me :)

Edit: This seems to be the newest set:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/index.html

n07_0910_deck2lg.jpg
and
n07_0910_deck1lg.jpg

are the theme decks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I had a starter pack a long time ago, when the cards were first around. When D/P showed up, I picked up a couple packs just to gawk at. I'm slightly jealous of the US for having the Trading Figure game, while Canada is left out. Not that I'd actually play, but the quality of the figures looks impressive.

2419044601_d94b0cd402_o.png

EvilMario said:
I had a starter pack a long time ago, when the cards were first around. When D/P showed up, I picked up a couple packs just to gawk at. I'm slightly jealous of the US for having the Trading Figure game, while Canada is left out. Not that I'd actually play, but the quality of the figures looks impressive.

TFG is a blast, if you do decide to actually play. It's got the collecting aspect (I've got 28 unique ones at this point, but a few too many duplicates, though duplicates can be used to build teams so it's not all bad), it's got a shitton of strategy (especially in 6-on-6 matches - there are so many options to get to the goal, and pretty much every Pokemon in the TFG has very distinct benefits, depending on what your overall strategy is). It's pretty fast paced, much like a board game. In fact, I'd call it a great board game substitute, but you obviously have actual control over what is going on - you decide your team of Pokemon, you decide your strategy, etc.

There's no organized play for TFG around here, though all Pokemon OP leagues are capable of offering it (Pokemon Organized Play is now sanctioning point awards for TFG games, which is something they only began doing a few weeks ago)...and I only know one other guy who plays, so I'm hoping it picks up.

Apparently the next series of figures got pushed way back 'til later this year. I hope they launch it better than they did the first time around...I want to find more people who play.

Neo Child said:
Yep, still 60v60.

Starter packs still exist, there is a recent DP one available - they are called "Trainer Kit"'s, and they have 2 30 card decks.

Also, http://pokebeach.com/ is the best for PTCG stuff.

One of those Diamond/Pearl Trainer Kits was included in a big TCG lot deal I picked up on eBay. It was totally sealed, hadn't been repackaged or anything. Yet one of the 30 card decks was totally in German, which is a first for me. I e-mailed Pokemon USA to see if there's any way to perhaps swap out those German-language cards for English-language ones, but I never heard back.

Firestorm said:
Getting the DS game won't really help too much in the card game, but it'll get her familiar with the Pokemon and she might be interested in finding her favourites or something. The card game is based very, very loosely on the video game.

Another reason a DS or WiiWare game based on the card game would be great; to help introduce more people to the TCG, much the way Yu-Gi-Oh's videogames have been so useful at doing (and also considering how great the old Game Boy Pokemon TCG game was).

Costanza

Banned
Since you guys are talking about pokemon cards..

When I was a kid I got a first edition foil Charizard in the first pack of Pokemon cards I ever bought. I've never had that kind of luck since then :(

mattso

Umbreon can be used, but vaporeon really just does pretty much everything better.

I had an umbreon that would use toxic, confuse ray, rest, and assurance. It basically would toxic the foe, confuse the switch in, and then spam assurance. If the foe had hit themself in confusion assurance did more damage. It helped me win a few matches.

However. Wish vaporeon, with her high hp and decent defenses, can switch into hard hits, do decent damage back with ice beam/surf, can wish to heal itself and team members, and can roar or toxic depending on what you want amongst others

Rocksteady33

Chris Michael said:
Is this the same issue with Paper Mario DS?

Can anyone confirm Paper Mario DS?

No, I think this is more likely than Paper Mario DS. Actually when you think about it, it's pretty inevitable that we do get the third expansion in the Pearl/Diamond generation.

There wasn't a translation mix up or anything. There's apparently a section within a time line that leaves a gap for a new game coming out in 2008. And the only games looked at are the core games, and then they separately look at the expansions from each generation (Blue, Crystal, Emerald). So I'd say that this is pretty much a given.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Rocksteady33 said:
No, I think this is more likely than Paper Mario DS. Actually when you think about it, it's pretty inevitable that we do get the third expansion in the Pearl/Diamond generation.

There wasn't a translation mix up or anything. There's apparently a section within a time line that leaves a gap for a new game coming out in 2008. And the only games looked at are the core games, and then they separately look at the expansions from each generation (Blue, Crystal, Emerald). So I'd say that this is pretty much a given.
I think he was asking if the OP had this issue and could confirm/deconfirm Paper Mario DS.

Darkpen

Banned
Bogus said:
"Blah's rain dance caused it to rain!"

Well, that's cool, I guess. I'll send out Empoleon to make use of it!

"Rain continues to fall."

Right, I figured. Okay, Empoleon, use Brine!

...Yeah I get the idea, it's still raining! Empoleon, use --

I told you I get the id--

But--

Fix this and I will buy the expansion.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Costanza said:
Since you guys are talking about pokemon cards..

When I was a kid I got a first edition foil Charizard in the first pack of Pokemon cards I ever bought. I've never had that kind of luck since then :(
oh shit costanza, same here D: Except I was a fucking dumbass and traded the charizard for a wartortle because I was missing wartortle, and I didn't know charizard was rare :(

:(

But then I got a freaking Dark Charizard in my first pack of the Team Rocket expansion :O

EvilMario said:

I bought the Mudkip one and had it sitting in my car for a few weeks, then I took it to get it washed and some fucking shitcock stole it.

Prob'ly a Scientologist

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Chris Michael said:
Is this the same issue with Paper Mario DS?

Can anyone confirm Paper Mario DS?
The issue they're talking about is coming out the 15th of next month. If PMDS was in the issue that came out this week we'd know by now, give it up.

jj984jj said:
The issue they're talking about is coming out the 15th of next month.

so Paper Mario DS is this month or wut?

jj984jj said:
The issue they're talking about is coming out the 15th of next month. If PMDS in the issue that came out this week we'd know by now, give it up.

D:

D:

D:

WordAssassin said:
I bought the Mudkip one and had it sitting in my car for a few weeks, then I took it to get it washed and some fucking shitcock stole it.

Prob'ly a Scientologist

If you don't plan on ever actually using the figures for anything other than a display piece, I've got a spare Mudkip that I accidentally attached to the wrong base when I was repairing a few of mine.

You'd only know the base is meant for Treecko if you look at the bottom and see the name (or if you already know what Mudkip's moves should be). But if you just want the Mudkip figure itself to be displayed in your car and the moves it has are irrelevant to you, I'll give you this one - just PM me your address.

Slavik81

Firestorm said:
Cards usually have a symbol at the bottom right. Circle = Common. Diamond = Uncommon. Star = Rare.
They introduced some pretty significant changes to the rarity system. Or at least, the foil system.

Now I think there's a number of different foil cards. Shiny also means somewhat rare... but not necessarily valuable. I there are different types of foil cards these days. Like ones where the picture is just shiny, or ones where the entire thing is shiny, or patterned shinyness... But shiny doesn't neccessarily mean its significantly valuable, particularly because now any card could potentially be shiny... or at least that's how it was for a time.

Additionally, cards will also be extra sought after if they're popular in the series or are particularly useful in the card game.

But I haven't played it in something like 8 years. So this is based on the glimpses I've seen of it from my cousins and such. I'm not sure about the details.

EvilMario said:

I want...
I'm Canadian... >.<

Maybe Amazon will sell it to me...
EDIT: EDIT: Fuck YES. Amazon not only sells them to Canucks, but sells SINGLES.

EDIT: Whoa... You can buy single Pokemon cards on Amazon? And Ancient Mew is actually worth something? Wow.

Neo Child

Banned
I have a bad history with Charizards.

I traded a Promo Mewtwo away and got a shiney Charizard - YAY! A kid then threatened to beat me up unless I gave it to him.

I then found a Charizard in a pack!! And then my neighbours kid 'lost' his Charizard and his dad came round to my house complaining then stole it off of me :S (and then miraculousely he had 2 Charizards).

I then found another Charizard, a 'friend' stole it when round at my house and he later gave it back and its all crinkled and torn - I still have that to this day =[

JCX

A possible fix to the constant "is raining" thns is to just have it rain all the time while it is in effect.

Top Bottom