• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Update?

What Should Be DantesWrath punishiment for lying about in-game XMB?

Results are only viewable after voting.

inner-G

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
This update has so far done nothing for the ps3... but as soon as I started downloading it, my torrent speeds have gone through the roof.
So the PSN servers are slow because they're uploading BT packets? :lol

I came here looking for answers and I've found nothing. Also I can confirm no in game xmb. It's probably a security fix though it was a quick download, so nothing big.

tanod

when is my burrito
This is probably the quickest update there's ever been.

Maybe they are just testing out an optimized update process?

Barakov

Super_Chicken said:
I came here looking for answers and I've found nothing. Also I can confirm no in game xmb. It's probably a security fix though it was a quick download, so nothing big.

Hmm. Hopefully there's something awesome hidden in there.

Super_Chicken said:

Considering with all the other updates you had to download the entire firmware package, i'd say this counts as an improvement.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tanod said:
This is probably the quickest update there's ever been.

Maybe they are just testing out an optimized update process?
Behind-the-scenes changes to accomodate the BIG STORE UPDATE in April.

Or, increases compatability for existing PLAYSTATION 3 games and addresses security flaws blah blah blah.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So wait a minute, they held back updates for several months...

...to give us a non-update?

We're missing something, there has to be more to it than this

kuYuri

If it's going from 2.10 to 2.17, it's a minor update I'm going to assume. Don't get your hopes up. The Playstation Blog isn't even reporting it, at least not yet.

Likely it's just an update to expand PSN title compatibility or whatever.

I hope it fixes that fucking 8002AD23 error. I swear to god that thing is driving me fucking crazy. Nothing I do has fixed it.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Yeah. Might just be some subtle performance tweaks. The small file size would suggest it's a patch.

Possibly PS2 BC updates?

mr_boo

For what it's worth, I checked the PS3 forum off the official PS3 site, and from my quick scan there, it is a minor update with no major feature/functional additions.

Kittonwy

Banned
DantesWrath said:
IN GAME XMB!!!!!!!

gtfo.gif

Tiduz

Eurogaime
it has something to do with GT5 beta, some tester got an email asking to install the update before playing gt5p.

kenta said:
So wait a minute, they held back updates for several months...

...to give us a non-update?

We're missing something, there has to be more to it than this

I'm a software developer. We frequently have multiple branches of the code that are maintained simultaneously. Large updates get patches applied and then the "fixes" that are non feature specific to whatever is in the next big release is retrofitted into an earlier branch and that branch's version is incremented.

So it's very plausible that they have been working on something large with new features, but ran into bugs that they wanted to release in the current branch immediately because the other version containing new features will not be ready for some time.

This is probably the most serious explanation/response you're going to find in this thread. Enjoy.

EDIT: Due to popular demand, I will now reply under quotes. Thanks for caring.

SOLDIER

The only PS2 game I couldn't get to work was Metal Gear 1 and 2 in the 2nd disc of MGS3: Subsistence.

I was hoping more for improved resolutions on PS2 games.

tanod

when is my burrito
SOLDIER said:
The only PS2 game I couldn't get to work was Metal Gear 1 and 2 in the 2nd disc of MGS3: Subsistence.

Do you have a 60GB? My 2nd disc of Subsistence works perfectly fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SOLDIER said:

Works fine on my 60GB.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Download: 11:50 p.m. - 12:14 a.m.
Install: 12:14 a.m. - 12:17 a.m.

Install was the fastest yet but the download still kinda sucked. Checked the very few videos I have on the HDD that don't work and they're still unsupported. ;_;

Spasm

Confirming no differences in DivX/VxiD support. The Airwolfs I ripped last week still don't work. :(

Edit: My 8GB WMVs still don't work either. :(:(

Schrade

Keyser Soze said:
What is this weird replying above quotes that is happening in this thead? I balme the new update!!
At least he's using the forum quote feature. There's a couple of people around here that put another person's comments in actual quotes so it looks like they're just repeating other peoples' words.

M3wThr33

Banned
Another thing to check, when switching controllers through the Home menu, if going from drums to controller re-enables analog controlls/sixaxis without needing to turn the controller off then on again.

Schrade said:
At least he's using the forum quote feature. There's a couple of people around here that put another person's comments in actual quotes so it looks like they're just repeating other peoples' words.

I did not mean to offended in any way. I was just messing about as the update lacked anything that could be even regarded as interesting.

Top Bottom