• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Update?

What Should Be DantesWrath punishiment for lying about in-game XMB?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Anonymous said:
Please install firmware 2.17 on your PLAYSTATION 3 which is available from the 13th of March. Before playing Gran Turismo 5 Prologue™, please make sure that this firmware has been installed on your PLAYSTATION 3.

from gt5 beta test, wont say who i got it from. Up to you to believe me or not.

M3wThr33

Banned
2.20? :D Time to mess around with it.

I snooped around 2.17 and couldn't find a damn thing. I'm pretty sure changing the color of the XMB overlay was already there, under themes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Johnkers said:
This topic just shows me why I hate the constant release of firmwares. Absolutely a waste of time.

Constant huh? Constant? Really?

Yeah, I hate improving my console too.

jonabbey

Truespeed said:
If the Flash player was indeed updated to the current spec then this pretty much confirms that the PSN will be flash based.

Well, IGN still complains about an out-of-rev Flash player, but YouTube is working quite smoothly now.

From what folks have said about certain games needing this update, they probably tweaked the SDK, or memory usage, or some such.

The Jer

BobTheFork said:
this is by far the slowest firmware update ever for me. Almost a half hour in and im only at about 60 percent.
you're going faster than me.

I'm going a percent a minute...

Raistlin

Truespeed said:
Chronology:

FW 2.15 was released about 2 weeks ago for dev/debug systems.

FW 2.17 released today to the public.

FW 2.20 has been released to dev systems.

wut? 0_o

I assume 2.17 was bug/security fixes and maybe something for the PSN Store relaunch?

2.20 on the other hand ... that reeks of new features. Any news leaked so far?

Johnkers said:
This topic just shows me why I hate the constant release of firmwares. Absolutely a waste of time.

I love new firmwares on all the consoles.
Even if they're minor.
It's like a little gift from the company.

badcrumble said:
When I was installing, it leaped from 47% to 100%. Odd.

I walked away around the half-way mark and walked back to see a blank screen and no activity blinks, waited patiently, and found it was rebooting already...

Big-E

A lot of you guys seem to be downloading slow but I just had my fastest update ever. Done the whole procedure in 5 mins.

Ploid 3.0

The people that complained about getting updates/changes to their PS3 must have not been clear to sony. Not only are the updates less frequent, but they are invisible tweaks that mean nothing to us now. Way to go guys. Wish you stuck with xbox.

I'm kidding but yea play more xbox, and turn on your ps3 less. Skip 3 firmware updates and get them all in one go when the 4th come around. Please

I know probably no one cares but I wonder if they can fix the Sonic Mega Collection issue, it will not run correctly on the PS3 (I have the 60G model). There has to be like 5 people out there that want this to happen.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yeah it's goin slow for me... I'm not gettin too hyped though. I did at first when I went to log in and saw an update available... oh well :(.

M3wThr33

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Did every previous release come with release notes? I don't recall if we've ever had one void of them before. If so, it speaks of shenanigans.

PSP has a nice robust changelog that reflects all modification from current firmware to new firmware (And everything in between).

PS3 usually gets a mention on the website a day later.

Johnkers

Kintaro said:
Constant huh? Constant? Really?

Yeah, I hate improving my console too.

Improving with features is great.

30 minutes or more to update with a result in no change, not so much. Surely these changes (whatever they are) could wait until a more substantial update. Save us all some time and hassle. Maybe the topic won't be full of disappointments too

The Jer

Johnkers said:
Improving with features is great.

1 hour and 30 minutes or more to update with a result in no change, not so much. Surely these changes (whatever they are) could wait until a more substantial update. Save us all some time and hassle. Maybe the topic won't be full of disappointments too
fixed.

it's been over an hour and I'm at 60%....
This may be more than a two hour update!

I just want to play Rock Band tonight!

sfulifer

I've always hated the sometimes weekly updates from before (owned a PS3 from day 1).
But a forced update that took me 30 min to download and install and get nothing substantial out of it, just in prep for the next one which prolly will come in a couple of weeks, frankly sucks. Why not just bundle it up in one big go along with the functional updates just so users won't be pissed and will see it as a gift? It's not like the PS3 got hacked all of a sudden.

Gah! I was about to play some Warhawk when this update popped up. Now my playing time will have to be postponed until it's finished installing. Only at 25% right now.

Apparently it's not anything related to Home...

Playstation Blog said:
If you’ve signed in to the PLAYSTATION Network tonight on your PS3, you probably noticed that you were prompted to upgrade the system’s firmware to v2.17. In case you were wondering what it’s all about (and a quick Google search indicates that yes, you are) the operating stability of some online PS3 titles has been improved.

Hope that clears things up!

meh.

edit: beaten and apparently I don't know how quote tags work.

scitek

Is this available to download from anywhere yet aside from through the PS3? I have the 20gb and no ethernet cable. :(

Sucks for you guys that the update is taking so long. Mine was done in about 5 minutes and installed in about 2... I wonder if this is a regional difference or if more people are hammering the Sony servers now. Generally, the updates are always fast for me.

I'd be really happy if the PS3 browser would stop crashing so frequently. I wouldn't mind if it crashed, but it usually freezes up the system, too, meaning I have to stand up to force the restart. Anything that makes me stand up is unacceptable ;). Guess this is a general RAM issue. PS4 2GB RAM (at least) or bust...

Guy Legend

Clinton514 said:
"If you’ve signed in to the PLAYSTATION Network tonight on your PS3, you probably noticed that you were prompted to upgrade the system’s firmware to v2.17. In case you were wondering what it’s all about (and a quick Google search indicates that yes, you are) the operating stability of some online PS3 titles has been improved."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/12/firmware-update-v217/

Well that settles it.

COD4 patch better well damn come tomorrow or Friday at the latest now. On more of a side note, EA needs to update their rosters for NHL 08.

leehom

AceBandage said:
I love new firmwares on all the consoles.
Even if they're minor.
It's like a little gift from the company.
me too ! except the wii firmware updates, they take forever.

Top Bottom