• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Commercial During Monday Night Football (ESPN)

Ishan

That was fantastic. I laughed at the Driveclub part where you slams him into the wall. lol

yup upside down singing was funny lol. Also i think gaf got hyped about it ... i randomly ran into the ad on ign and i thought oh cool ad. Then i came on gaf and saw all the speculation about new gameplay etc ... i can see why if you were waiting on it expecting gameplay etc or something really new you could be dissapointed .... going in without any expectations ... worked for me

It was a well done advertisement that demonstrates the fun to be had with friends.

The people who just want gameplay were already sold on the product in the first place. Adding a human element helps demonstrate the emotions that are to be had when you jump into the fray with a couple of buddies. A sizzle reel is what they show inside game stores on repeat as people are waiting to pick up their console.

Petrae

I don't get the whole "show gameplay" "show what it does" complaints. I'm sure there will be ads that do that.

The problem I have is that we're a month out. Stuff like this to "get people talking" would've been better earlier. At this point, getting people talking about a product without knowing what it is or does with only 4 weeks left is puzzling.

Not that this may matter if non-preorder launch quantities are limited and many consumers won't be able to buy until next year.

I think most people who watch Monday Night Football know what a PlayStation is. Taking the casual/lighthearted approach for an arguably knowledgeable audience just seems wasteful to me. Gameplay montages, images of the console, and a price point to go with the availability date would've made more sense to me... but that's my $.02 and certainly not the "best" decision.

Zerin

Thought it was an Xbox One commercial until the Killzone section.

I think they're neat commercials but would rather they include actual in-engine footage for the narrative.

Petrae

It was a well done advertisement that demonstrates the fun to be had with friends.

The people who just want gameplay were already sold on the product in the first place. Adding a human element helps demonstrate the emotions that are to be had when you jump into the fray with a couple of buddies. A sizzle reel is what they show inside game stores on repeat as people are waiting to pick up their console.

For starters, I'm still waiting to be sold on the PS4, so gameplay footage and seeing what the console can really do could be a boost for my interest. Instead, I see an ad like this and wonder why I should give a damn when it's all singing and apparently playing with friends.

It's fair to state that the spot isn't necessarily directed at me, but I can honestly say that seeing the ad actually made me LESS interested in a PS4 than I was before the spot aired.

PaulloDEC

That was fantastic. I laughed at the Driveclub part where you slams him into the wall. lol

ioeU3skwqh4sM.gif

Me too.

Lou Reed is awesome to whoever called a hippie song. Song brings back terrible memories for me though. It's in the Trainspotting soundtrack, which is a film I watched when getting off H =(

Good commercial though =P

Aren't Sony always made fun of because they do too many montages? And now they move from them and do more of a unique commercial and people don't like it. Eh.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Video game controls are supposed to be good, but that didn't stop you from liking Resident Evil 4 now did it? Take a chill pill and relax bruh.

I'd consider myself owned if it wasn't for the fact that the overwhelming consensus is that the game is a masterpiece.

Nonetheless, there is no shortage of scrubs who couldn't wrap their tiny brains around the controls for some reason.

The problem I have is that we're a month out. Stuff like this to "get people talking" would've been better earlier. At this point, getting people talking about a product without knowing what it is or does with only 4 weeks left is puzzling.

Not that this may matter if non-preorder launch quantities are limited and many consumers won't be able to buy until next year.

I think most people who watch Monday Night Football know what a PlayStation is. Taking the casual/lighthearted approach for an arguably knowledgeable audience just seems wasteful to me. Gameplay montages, images of the console, and a price point to go with the availability date would've made more sense to me... but that's my $.02 and certainly not the "best" decision.
I imagine the November launch is geared more towards the enthusiast who has essentially already decided to buy the system months out. These ads building interest are probably aimed at building awareness leading into the shopping season post launch through December.

I don't really see any issue with the thought process behind it, but I think part of the whole, "this doesn't get my hyped" thing is more that it's just not that good an ad conceptually/copywriting/scene composition etc. cf some of those ads I talked about above.

Out of curiosity would you, for instance, take the same issue with the classic Double Life ad in this ad's place? (In the hypothetical that it was a brand new ad).

social aspect ... its a ad targeted at mainstream they dont care about tflops and ddrr5 etc etc ... they are trying to see the social aspect of consoles ... and well it worked on me made me think fuck it will be fun just playing fifa with 3 of my friends again ... eh but I guess im kind of an exception . i read up and post on boards ign but i also only but 1 2 games a year (tlou, uncharted, fifa those types) + use pc for cs and dota ... so i guess casual for consoles and more hardcore competitive for pcs ... and this ad worked for me.

A lot of you guys are saying the social aspect, but how will the PS4 do a better job of delivering that than the Xbox? I may need to watch it again, but the ad didn't answer that question, and it probably should (remember, the Xbox brand is taking a beating on internet forums, but it's the dominant console in the U.S. right now).

FINALBOSS

Banned
A lot of you guys are saying the social aspect, but how will the PS4 do a better job of delivering that than the Xbox? I may need to watch it again, but the ad didn't answer that question, and it probably should (remember, the Xbox brand is taking a beating on internet forums, but it's the dominant console in the U.S. right now).

You wanna know what's funny? The only real reasons people ever gave in regards to XBL being better than PSN for social-networking is because it had party-chat. That's literally it. It's a complete wash now.

Minions

It doesn't have to tell you that. All it has to do is pique interest. If it makes you wonder what that commercial was about, or inform/remind you that the console is coming out.

ph00p

Banned
It'll be a perfect day because after said day everyone will realize most of the empty lies Sony presented which aren't available til a patch at a later date.(still bitter about the Pulse headset)

For starters, I'm still waiting to be sold on the PS4, so gameplay footage and seeing what the console can really do could be a boost for my interest. Instead, I see an ad like this and wonder why I should give a damn when it's all singing and apparently playing with friends.

It's fair to state that the spot isn't necessarily directed at me, but I can honestly say that seeing the ad actually made me LESS interested in a PS4 than I was before the spot aired.

That's the thing! You got it! Now that you (Not "you") know of this commercial's tagline " Greatness Awaits", the phrase lingers and encourages the viewers to wonder about what they've just witnessed.

The commercial was indeed aimed at a different demographic, but the message is still left behind. All it takes is one bit of information, even disgust, to drive a viewer or the friend of a viewer to a singular purchasing decision.

Don-Draper-Gif.gif

Tobor

You wanna know what's funny? The only real reasons people ever gave in regards to XBL being better than PSN for social-networking is because it had party-chat. That's literally it. It's a complete wash now.

No, don't you understand! It's the better network! It's got the party chat like you said, but it's also got the...

...the uh...

...well, it's certainly always been better at...

It's no crying baby....but....that was pretty good. Night & day difference between marketing this gen and last. Good to see Sony coming out strong from the start, hope they keep it up.

Totally disagree with the naysayers. The vagueness/weirdness of the commercial kept the attention and curiosity of the viewers, and I highly doubt that the general MNF audience is so clueless that most of them wouldn't even have an inkling as to what kind of product was just advertised.

Didn't do anything for me. Especially having come after a similar enough looking PS3 commercial with the same tagline. Doesn't distinguish why I should buy a PS4 and not just stick with a PS3.

Didn't do anything for me. Especially having come after a similar enough looking PS3 commercial with the same tagline. Doesn't distinguish why I should buy a PS4 and not just stick with a PS3.

Most commercials don't distinguish why you should pick something over something else

Bailers

It'll be a perfect day because after said day everyone will realize most of the empty lies Sony presented which aren't available til a patch at a later date.(still bitter about the Pulse headset)

Bitter about ONE small feature when there's so much more we are getting? Okay then.

dralla

Feels like their marketing to people who are already going to buy one. I liked the commercial itself but I don't think it's very effective

prag16

Banned
That was awesome. Oh such a perfect day :)

That was so awesome.

ok, that was amazing

That commercial was fn awesome. Good stuff Sony

Goosebumps and a massive erection.

One of the best ads in years!

That was fantastic. I liked this ad so goddam much.

great commercial. Thank you based Sony.

Such enthusiasm. Were we watching the same ad?? It was horrendous. Absolutely pointless...

Iorv3th

I don't get the people hating on it. It was great. Made me think of me and my friend playing games together a lot before he got married.

Top Bottom