• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Kysen

I saw the new LE MGS5 console in store today and can confirm it has the new mechanical buttons. The color looks much better in RL than from the images.

So does this model fixes the eject disc issue? (It was randomly ejecting my GTA 5 disc once a day and I had to unplug it to make it accept discs again. Since then, I haven't played a physical disc game.)

I've been waiting for the 3.0 update to (potentially) fix this. I still have a warranty until March, but I shouldn't really have to send something back to get it fixed. Even after the fix, I've read reports on the internet that it still could do it again. Brings back bad memories of the infamous RROD (it isn't as widespread) and I'm not made of money.

If I have to buy a newer model to fix it, I'd just sell my ps4 and get something else, maybe a 3DS. Sorry if I come off as glum, but I don't like getting burned on things that have taken months to save up for.

So does this model fixes the eject disc issue? (It was randomly ejecting my GTA 5 disc once a day and I had to unplug it to make it accept discs again. Since then, I haven't played a physical disc game.)

I've been waiting for the 3.0 update to (potentially) fix this. I still have a warranty until March, but I shouldn't really have to send something back to get it fixed. Even after the fix, I've read reports on the internet that it still could do it again. Brings back bad memories of the infamous RROD (it isn't as widespread) and I'm not made of money.

If I have to buy a newer model to fix it, I'd just sell my ps4 and get something else, maybe a 3DS. Sorry if I come off as glum, but I don't like getting burned on things that have taken months to save up for.

Are you talking about the eject button issue where it gets pushed up?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is it safe to put these PS4 on a book shelf? I'd say the shelf would be one of these:

0259681_PE404097_S5.JPG

It'll will have plenty of room either side but it does back on to a wall. Maybe if I angle it?

I don't want it to overheat but at the same time I'm trying to keep it out of reach of my daughter :D

Is it safe to put these PS4 on a book shelf? I'd say the shelf would be one of these:

It'll will have plenty of room either side but it does back on to a wall. Maybe if I angle it?

I don't want it to overheat but at the same time I'm trying to keep it out of reach of my daughter :D

It's probably fine since the shelf is so open, but the air does blow right out of the back of the PS4. The back is angled so even if it were pressed all the way to the back, there is at least some room for airflow.

Just curious, which of the PS4 consoles on Amazon.com have the 1215 model? Only the Taken King and the Last of Us/Madden 16 bundles...? I have some Amazon gift cards I want to use towards a PS4 and if these are the only 1215 bundles right now I might just wait.

Are there going to be other PS4 bundles planned for the XMas shopping season?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably fine since the shelf is so open, but the air does blow right out of the back of the PS4. The back is angled so even if it were pressed all the way to the back, there is at least some room for airflow.

I'd say it was closer to the height of the top shelf, rather than any of the middle ones. I think I can get probably 4 inches between the PS4 and the back wall. Would you recommend I maybe angle it to give it more airflow?

@Wreck

i know it sounds crazy but what about on top plenty space and plenty air and out of reach

i'd avoid blocking the back of the ps4

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i know it sounds crazy but what about on top plenty space and plenty air and out of reach

i'd avoid blocking the back of the ps4

Not sure the leads will reach, the TV and internet are on a big wooden thingymebob on the floor. I definitely won't block any vents, I want to keep it as far forward as possible. Would angling it 45 degrees on the shelf help the flow much?

djshauny

Banned
I caved in and got the new model PS4. Its so much quieter for me. Can barely hear the thing lol. Its alot lighter too than my launch PS4. Buttons are not touch sensitive anymore.

Happy with my purchase so far :)

big_z

I caved in and got the new model PS4. Its so much quieter for me. Can barely hear the thing lol. Its alot lighter too than my launch PS4. Buttons are not touch sensitive anymore.

Happy with my purchase so far :)

If you have your old ps4 still could you record the noise difference between it and the new ps4 running ground zeroes on the title screen. Seems to ramp up the fan.

A video of rocket league sitting in a training level would also be appreciated.

I'm thinking of making the swap myself in time for phantom pain hoping it will be quiet enough to hear the game. The system is just too loud.

Boomshaw

Banned
Hey guys I really like the look of the white destiny one. Is it the new model though?

Any clarity on this would be appreciated. I am looking at buying in the UK.

Theonik

What about standing it vertical with the stand if there is enough clearance you can then put the bottom against the back of the shelf. Will take more space though but at least airflow can be managed.

Intel_89

I kinda hate to ask this again but is there any word on the MGS5 PS4 being the 1200 for all european territories? I kinda feel the urge to last minute pre-order one but they don't specify which model it is.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What about standing it vertical with the stand if there is enough clearance you can then put the bottom against the back of the shelf. Will take more space though but at least airflow can be managed.

Not sure I've got the clearance. I'll give it a shot.

I kinda hate to ask this again but is there any word on the MGS5 PS4 being the 1200 for all european territories? I kinda feel the urge to last minute pre-order one but they don't specify which model it is.

Someone from the UK in MGS OT has received his and confirmed it is indeed the new model.

Tomeru

Guys, from what I remember of the white models (I work at a vg store), the black dot there is because the part of the plastic is see-through there. Probably thin enough to be noticable.

So a question about the new model. I have a white PS4, which sounds like a vacuum cleaner every time I join in for game in Last of Us online. Vacuum cleaner sounds like an exaggeration, but it really isn't. I've tried to stand it vertically (with the stand), on a laptop stand and on my work desk. Doesn't matter, same problem. As I have 18 month old twins and my gaming space is very close to their bedroom, when the machine gets really loud my kids wake up to the noise. Not always, but even once is too much. And it really makes gaming annoying or hard to enjoy. Especially because I only have time to play after my kids go to sleep.

So the question: is there a guarantee that this new model will be more quiet, or is it again 50/50 chance like with the original model? If I could count on it being more quiet, I would go change my PS4 next week with the MGS bundle. I love everything this console does, but the noise level is ridiculous.

Chronos24

So a question about the new model. I have a white PS4, which sounds like a vacuum cleaner every time I join in for game in Last of Us online. Vacuum cleaner sounds like an exaggeration, but it really isn't. I've tried to stand it vertically (with the stand), on a laptop stand and on my work desk. Doesn't matter, same problem. As I have 18 month old twins and my gaming space is very close to their bedroom, when the machine gets really loud my kids wake up to the noise. Not always, but even once is too much. And it really makes gaming annoying or hard to enjoy. Especially because I only have time to play after my kids go to sleep.

So the question: is there a guarantee that this new model will be more quiet, or is it again 50/50 chance like with the original model? If I could count on it being more quiet, I would go change my PS4 next week with the MGS bundle. I love everything this console does, but the noise level is ridiculous.

From what I'm seeing its more of an 85/15 chance for the new model to be quite/loud. Several vids are showing up showing a much higher consensus that he new model is indeed quieter.

From what I'm seeing its more of an 85/15 chance for the new model to be quite/loud. Several vids are showing up showing a much higher consensus that he new model is indeed quieter.

Ok thanks. So with my luck that must mean 90% loud then. :p Have to think about it because this is unbearable.

Just picked up a CUH-1200 model at Target in the Chicagoland area today. They had a 15% off deal for all PS4 systems, so that was pretty sick.

Will report back in on noise levels next week.

ACH1LL3US

Just picked up a CUH-1200 model at Target in the Chicagoland area today. They had a 15% off deal for all PS4 systems, so that was pretty sick.

Will report back in on noise levels next week.

Yup ! I grabbed the new cuh-1200 Last of Us bundle, used the 15% off cartwheel coupon ( expires today) and a movers coupon.

Ended up walking out paying $294 after tax for a new cuh-1200 PS4 with last of us, not bad!!

ACH1LL3US

Did some extensive testing with the new cuh-1200 I got. Its significantly quieter then the launch ps4 I had. Its only a tad louder then my xbox one which is beyond excellent!

Also the plastic on it is of better quality then the launch PS4 I had, very please with it and love the all matte look!

I highly recommend grabbing this new model!

Chronos24

Did some extensive testing with the new cuh-1200 I got. Its significantly quieter then the launch ps4 I had. Its only a tad louder then my xbox one which is beyond excellent!

Also the plastic on it is of better quality then the launch PS4 I had, very please with it and love the all matte look!

What kind of testing and which games did you test? Biggest offenders from what I've seen are Rocket League, Bloodborne, TLOU, infamous, to name a few.

Troy

Banned

Kind of a pointless test. My two PS4s both took months to get really loud. They were near silent the first few months regardless of the game.

big_z

What kind of testing and which games did you test? Biggest offenders from what I've seen are Rocket League, Bloodborne, TLOU, infamous, to name a few.

rocket league in training is a solid test to see if the 1200 runs quieter. as is the title screen in ground zeros where snake is sitting.

Kind of a pointless test. My two PS4s both took months to get really loud. They were near silent the first few months regardless of the game.

some people on sonys forum say their 1200s have gotten loud after a week or two. it kind of makes sense since the apu hasn't changed and that's whats measured for temperature/fan speed.

im still tempted to swap for one though, just in case it is better. the amount of noise ps4s output detracts from the game experience.

Selling my launch unit right now to get a white 1200 version. With my luck it'll be just as loud if not louder, but I just have to try. Can always just return the unit if it doesn't work out and do without the console. Tried to play music on Spotify today while playing advanced warfare. My god, I had to put the music to "make your neighbours angry" levels to mask the fan

Edit: if the new unit gets loud you can just send it in for repairs right? So that'd be easy enough actually when you get screwed again. Then again; Sony never came through for me in any way, shape or form :(

Chronos24

Selling my launch unit right now to get a white 1200 version. With my luck it'll be just as loud if not louder, but I just have to try. Can always just return the unit if it doesn't work out and do without the console. Tried to play music on Spotify today while playing advanced warfare. My god, I had to put the music to "make your neighbours angry" levels to mask the fan

Edit: if the new unit gets loud you can just send it in for repairs right? So that'd be easy enough actually when you get screwed again. Then again; Sony never came through for me in any way, shape or form :(
Is there a GameStop where you're from? If so you'd do a LOT better buying a new 1200 model from there because they sell a 1 or 2 year replacement warranty. If ANYTHING at all is wrong with the system they'll replace it with a new one right there in store. I day this because I do not do not do not recommend using Sony's warranty repair service. It's not good I promise you.

No we do not have them here. We only have some toy stores and a store called game mania. But the shop in my town is run by some horrible people. For example; there was a discount on gta v if you have them watch dogs. However they said they already had a lot of watch dog copies so they choose to just not give a discount at all. Shops in other cities are a lot better but I don't really want to travel very far.

Kysen

5hrs left on my backup, going to the midnight launch in my town to pick up the new console. Sucks I have work tomorrow :(

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So I purchased the Batman bundle from Amazon last week, and just got it in. It's the old model. I want to return it.

Where can I get the new model from? Target has the Cartwheel deal so I was thinking of doing it there.

Top Bottom