• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Chronos24

So I purchased the Batman bundle from Amazon last week, and just got it in. It's the old model. I want to return it.

Where can I get the new model from? Target has the Cartwheel deal so I was thinking of doing it there.

Target does indeed have the new model. It's TLOU bundle. For the savings you could buy Batman

So I purchased the Batman bundle from Amazon last week, and just got it in. It's the old model. I want to return it.

Where can I get the new model from? Target has the Cartwheel deal so I was thinking of doing it there.
As far as I saw, the cartwheel coupon ended Saturday.

MARNEY

No we do not have them here. We only have some toy stores and a store called game mania. But the shop in my town is run by some horrible people. For example; there was a discount on gta v if you have them watch dogs. However they said they already had a lot of watch dog copies so they choose to just not give a discount at all. Shops in other cities are a lot better but I don't really want to travel very far.
Idk if you've been asked before, but can you buy extended warranty off the ps store? Usually cheaper there...

Kysen

I have the new console now and can confirm the dimple is there on the front. As the bottom part is black you cant really see it.
ki6msrP.jpg
5udJYzp.jpg
YVs66s6.jpg

Model #CUH-1216A

Chronos24

I have the new console now and can confirm the dimple is there on the front. As the bottom part is black you cant really see it.

Model #CUH-1216A

Wow no I totally see it for sure! Does it feel like a deep dimple or just barely enough to notice? Also let us know the noise level once you've had time to check it out. Console looks sexy as hell dimple or not

LordDash

Banned

Model #CUH-1216A

That is one sexy console, congrats. And I must be blind but I can't see any dimples on the console.

BTA

Damn, I'm super jealous. That color scheme's as amazing as I thought it'd be. Still really annoyed they didn't bring it over here (especially as the Destiny bundles still 2 weeks away...).

leng jai

You can easily feel the dimple but it's pretty hard to see unless you look up close in the light. Its definitely a 1200 thing, my old white console doesn't have it.

Dimple on my MGS5 PS4 as well. But unless you put your nose up to the console, it's completely invisible and does nothing to sully its beauty <3

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
With Project Diva X announced for PS4, I'm kind of expecting a Hatsune Miku-themed PS4 to appear eventually. It could be white, blue, and silver to contrast the MGSV PS4 nicely.

torpet

Neo Member
In his first picture look just to the left... of the left USB port and down. It looks like a slightly dark dot on the bottom panel.

I have that on both my black 1216As, didn't realize that was the dimple all the people were talking about in this thread... I wouldn't worry about that, at least I don't. I'm only near my console when I swap games and Blu-rays, so why bother. :)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Are the Dimples on all 1200 models? Or just the White and MGS?

torpet

Neo Member
Damn.. debating on whether to return my unopened old model for the 1200.

I just re-checked the one I got recently and turns out it doesn't have the dimple, sorry for spreading false information. The other one though has it for sure.

big_z

sold my ps4 and bought a 1200 today, last of us bundle and got metal gear free with it. (no dimple btw) through some clever number crunching I was able to do the swap for $0. I really hope the reduced noise is worth it, currently reinstalling everything which takes forever.

has anyone done a teardown on the 1200 models? im curious to see what changed around the heatsink area. even on idle on the dash and downloading games the 1200 version is quite a bit hotter than the old models got.

pro tips for those changing to a 1200 unit:
-remember to deactivate your old ps4 as your primary console.
-use the backup and restore feature. this way you can transfer PT and as many games you can fit onto your backup device. this transfers all your saves too.
-for safety make sure all your cloud saves are up to date. some of mine weren't
-the system warns the full initialization process to wipe a ps4 can take hours. its not fucking around, the stock drive takes 90 minutes to do and that's with everything but PT deleted.

Got my 1200 today. I've owned all the PlayStations, and this is the first one I haven't been that excited for in terms of the hardware design. I'm not a fan of the parallelogram look, but the materials also seemed unimpressive. I've been concerned about the plastic and unfortunately it's just as bad as I feared. Cheap cheap cheap. Thin, rough-feeling, uneven coloration. The new physical buttons are loose (they rattle when touched) and don't give a feeling of precision design. Next to my launch model PS3 the PS4 looks like a product designed by a completely different company. In terms of the paucity of quality materials, it reminds me of the TurboGrafx-16. Packaging is also very underwhelming. Apple showed that packaging can be minimal but still elegant; Sony needs to learn this. PlayStation may be winning the generation, but this is one disappointing piece of hardware. It doesn't give me the feeling that the design team was proud of this system, or that anyone put their heart and soul into it. I do wish at least they were selling the glacier white in NA – the matte colors do seem to hide the flaws of the plastic better.

It does feel pretty hot on the top already, and all it's doing right now is downloading Ground Zeroes in rest mode. I wonder how much of the heat transfer is because the plastic they used is so thin. The fan has been quiet so far, but I've just been browsing through the (on a positive note) responsive UI.

Kysen

pro tips for those changing to a 1200 unit:
-remember to deactivate your old ps4 as your primary console.

I forgot this step and had to unbox the old one, reinstall the OS, re-add all my accounts and then sign into each one to deactivate. Really annoying.

I forgot this step and had to unbox the old one, reinstall the OS, re-add all my accounts and then sign into each one to deactivate. Really annoying.
Whoa, I thought it could be done on SEN's site?

edit: also, for you guys getting a new unit and changing the HDD right away, is there an extra step to be done, or can I just swap the part and it'll download the latest os/fw? I don't have an older PS4 so there's no backup for me.

torpet

Neo Member

Kysen

Whoa, I thought it could be done on SEN's site?

edit: also, for you guys getting a new unit and changing the HDD right away, is there an extra step to be done, or can I just swap the part and it'll download the latest os/fw? I don't have an older PS4 so there's no backup for me.
The site tells you to do it on the ps4, the deactivate button on the web is useless. As for changing the drive you need a copy of the full ps4 OS installer on a usb stick(700mb+). Which the ps4 will use on the new drive.

leng jai

Got my 1200 today. I've owned all the PlayStations, and this is the first one I haven't been that excited for in terms of the hardware design. I'm not a fan of the parallelogram look, but the materials also seemed unimpressive. I've been concerned about the plastic and unfortunately it's just as bad as I feared. Cheap cheap cheap. Thin, rough-feeling, uneven coloration. The new physical buttons are loose (they rattle when touched) and don't give a feeling of precision design. Next to my launch model PS3 the PS4 looks like a product designed by a completely different company. In terms of the paucity of quality materials, it reminds me of the TurboGrafx-16. Packaging is also very underwhelming. Apple showed that packaging can be minimal but still elegant; Sony needs to learn this. PlayStation may be winning the generation, but this is one disappointing piece of hardware. It doesn't give me the feeling that the design team was proud of this system, or that anyone put their heart and soul into it. I do wish at least they were selling the glacier white in NA – the matte colors do seem to hide the flaws of the plastic better.

It does feel pretty hot on the top already, and all it's doing right now is downloading Ground Zeroes in rest mode. I wonder how much of the heat transfer is because the plastic they used is so thin. The fan has been quiet so far, but I've just been browsing through the (on a positive note) responsive UI.

The console is definitely made of poor materials - the plastic is shockingly bad really especially with the uneven colouring. The white model is superior model in that respect. In terms of design it seems like it was really meant to be used vertically from an aesthetic point of view. It looks pretty terrible when placed horizontally.

Impulsor

My PS4 is the white Destiny bundle that came out with Destiny's launch. Anyone know which model that one is?

My console makes a lot of fan noise when playing phantom pain and rocket league, for example, it has plenty of space to breathe and I even have it raised by about two centimeters with little plastic stands.

Is it worth getting a new 1200 model? I really like the new MGSV design, but I also love my white model.

I play with a 5.1 dolby surround home cinema and I often don't notice the fans, but with phantom pain each time it goes to a loading screen it roars.

big_z

The console is definitely made of poor materials - the plastic is shockingly bad really especially with the uneven colouring. The white model is superior model in that respect. In terms of design it seems like it was really meant to be used vertically from an aesthetic point of view. It looks pretty terrible when placed horizontally.

the thing that gives it away the most is how uneven the plastic dye is. black looks salted like a dry unwashed workout shirt. Considering how much sony is cutting quality I have to imagine a redesign is going to have a pop open lid for the disc drive.

My PS4 is the white Destiny bundle that came out with Destiny's launch. Anyone know which model that one is?

11xx. I had an 11xx and the fan would ramp up pretty high within a minute in rocket league in the free play/tutorial stuff. Once im done installing a few more things im going to run rocket league and check for noise.

leng jai

My console makes a lot of fan noise when playing phantom pain and rocket league, for example, it has plenty of space to breathe and I even have it raised by about two centimeters with little plastic stands.

Is it worth getting a new 1200 model? I really like the new MGSV design, but I also love my white model.

I play with a 5.1 dolby surround home cinema and I often don't notice the fans, but with phantom pain each time it goes to a loading screen it roars.

I wouldn't be buying a 12XX just for the improvements - only reason I'd get it is you really want the MGS5 one (which is stunning admittedly).

the thing that gives it away the most is how uneven the plastic dye is. black looks salted like a dry unwashed workout shirt. Considering how much sony is cutting quality I have to imagine a redesign is going to have a pop open lid for the disc drive.

11xx.

I seriously thought my PS4 was defective the first day I got it on launch day with the uneven black blotches but then I saw other's had the same issue.

glaurung

Received my MGSVTPP LE console and it is freaking sweet. Did not have a chance to hook the DS4 up yet, but it looks and feels distinctly different. The sticks design is very different - the concave ridges are sharper and the texture of the rubber feels different too.

I hope this one won't succumb to rubber perishing just quite as fast.

Impulsor

11xx. I had an 11xx and the fan would ramp up pretty high within a minute in rocket league in the free play/tutorial stuff. Once im done installing a few more things im going to run rocket league and check for noise.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

leng jai

Received my MGSVTPP LE console and it is freaking sweet. Did not have a chance to hook the DS4 up yet, but it looks and feels distinctly different. The sticks design is very different - the concave ridges are sharper and the texture of the rubber feels different too.

I hope this one won't succumb to rubber perishing just quite as fast.

I'm not even going to open the controller. They are always ruined after a while no matter how much you baby them.

Bought the CUH-1216A model yesterday and it's simply amazing. Such an amazing console and I'm really impressed by the Dualshock 4 build quality. It's way better than the DS3.

Kyoufu

Bought the CUH-1216A model yesterday and it's simply amazing. Such an amazing console and I'm really impressed by the Dualshock 4 build quality. It's way better than the DS3.

It's a better controller but the actual build quality is junk. My DS3 lasted for years while my DS4s can barely go 6 months.

torpet

Neo Member

Is there any real downside to cheap materials being used other than the aesthetical aspect?

FWIW, I've noticed a huge difference in noise comparing the new MGS 1200 ps4 to my launch model. Rocket League no longer makes my ps4 sound like an actual rocket.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
FWIW, I've noticed a huge difference in noise comparing the new MGS 1200 ps4 to my launch model. Rocket League no longer makes my ps4 sound like an actual rocket.

Wasn't that due to the game itself (uncapped fps in the menu) or am I mixing things up here? But it sounds like the newer model is better in terms of energy usage, noise and has an overall better build than the launch model.

GlamFM

Banned
Slightly OT, but do you guys think we will get an entirely redesigned box eventually?

A real change like we got from the PS3 Phat to the Slim?

When would you expect it?

Kysen

Is there a way for me to transfer my 2tb hdd to a new PS4 without formatting?
No, the drive is encrypted to the first ps4 that formats it. The only way around this is to use the backup feature and create a new copy that can be read by another ps4 that is signed into psn.

Impulsor

No, the drive is encrypted to the first ps4 that formats it. The only way around this is to use the backup feature and create a new copy that can be read by another ps4 that is signed into psn.

So I can use the same 2tb drive to create a backup, unhook my ps4, hook the new one, plug in the 2tb hdd from the first one, connect the ps4 to the internet and unencrypt it?

big_z

Is there a good comparison table of the different ps4 models out there?

10xx - original model
11xx - slightly improved heatsink and small change to wifi stuff. some claim slightly better rubber on control sticks
12xx - internal revision, less power, less noise, runs hotter, cheaper build quality, mechanical buttons and no glossy plastic on the console.

Wasn't that due to the game itself (uncapped fps in the menu) or am I mixing things up here? But it sounds like the newer model is better in terms of energy usage, noise and has an overall better build than the launch model.

the menus did do that before a patch but playing the game also ramps the fan up very high depending on the field you play and player count. for whatever reason the training stuff always pushes the system hard.

So I can use the same 2tb drive to create a backup, unhook my ps4, hook the new one, plug in the 2tb hdd from the first one, connect the ps4 to the internet and unencrypt it?

any time you plug a new hard drive in it gets formatted. backups are created on usb device and gets copied over once you have the system setup.

Kysen

Nope, you need at minimum 2 storage devices to transfer a drive.

Hdd1 - drive you want to move
Hdd2- drive that holds backup of drive one(This is basically a re-encrypt of drive1 which a psn account or same ps4 can unlock)

Move drive 1 to new ps4 and its unreadable so gets formatted before you can use the system. You then sign in to psn and can read the contents of drive 2 and replace everything on drive 1 with that. It's convoluted due to security.

Top Bottom