• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

pallepaf

Neo Member
I had an SSD in my launch model which I have moved into my 1200 and haven't noticed any performance or speed differences.

Perceived speed isn't very reliable so there still might be subtle speed differences.

I have a launch PS4 with an SSD. Perhaps we have a few games in common and can post load times here for comparison?

mhayze

Has anyone tried using an external exhaust fan with the new model to see if it reduces temperatures / reduce noise? If so what did you use?

Intel_89

I forgot to leave a comment here, I picked up the MGS5 limited edition last week (it's the 1200-CUH) and it's working fine as of right now. It barely makes any noise running games on HDD (except Rocket League which makes the fans blow at full power, still makes less noise than my GF's OG PS4) and it makes slightly more noise than my Wii U running games on bluray. The one thing that's slightly worrying me is that it blows an incredible ammount of heat out of the back, but I guess that's normal?
Anyway, so far I'm happy with the new model, I really hope the noise levels don't raise a whole lot with the passing time.

mabec

I assume its the gpu/cpu making all the heat but would these have any effect at all on the 1200 model if applied on to the ram?

zmrhs1-new.jpg

rafaelr

I assume its the gpu/cpu making all the heat but would these have any effect at all on the 1200 model if applied on to the ram?

if the layout/design is similar to the first model, then i don´t think you´d be able to fit them in. if you look at the pic in this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176869879&postcount=529
you´ll see that the ram/heatpads make are in contact with a cover plate, so no room except for soft thermal pads.

Chronos24

I forgot to leave a comment here, I picked up the MGS5 limited edition last week (it's the 1200-CUH) and it's working fine as of right now. It barely makes any noise running games on HDD (except Rocket League which makes the fans blow at full power, still makes less noise than my GF's OG PS4) and it makes slightly more noise than my Wii U running games on bluray. The one thing that's slightly worrying me is that it blows an incredible ammount of heat out of the back, but I guess that's normal?
Anyway, so far I'm happy with the new model, I really hope the noise levels don't raise a whole lot with the passing time.

Blowing heat out the back is good actually. So the noise is it similar in sound to the OG ps4 or different? Someone here said theirs was of a different "tone".

Intel_89

I'd say it's more of a humming sound, I can only hear it if I mute my TV (even with low volume it's barely noticeable most of the time). I believe it has the same tone as the OG PS4.

Also, mine is sitting horizontally and before I start playing it I usually push it forward a couple of inches to have more room to breathe in the back, it still pushes out a lot of heat to the point of both my table and wall being moderately hot.

Got the Metal Gear Solid V console last night.

I am so glad I traded my launch model in for this version.

I went from a Hair Dryer model to whisper quite.

It does seem loud when I put in standby mode. Anyone else have this issue?

my mgs5(le-console) system is quite hot.

hotter than a ps3 or xbox 360.

i read that the new system(1200-series) has problems...?

could this mean that my system will eventually die?

I can confirm this also.

I upgraded yesterday and while it is whisper quite, the top right hand side of the console is hot to touch.This wasnt on my launch version

big_z

Blowing heat out the back is good actually. So the noise is it similar in sound to the OG ps4 or different? Someone here said theirs was of a different "tone".

it is much much quieter than the previous models. there is a bit of a high pitched metallic or electrical buzz to it if you listen close. another gaffer mentioned it but I didn't notice it until recently. its possible the old units have it as well but it gets lost in the fan noise. I think its caused by psu voltage changes under load since its fluctuates, possibly due to cheaper parts in the psu.

overall though its a much quieter and smoother sound compared to earlier units.

I can confirm this also.

I upgraded yesterday and while it is whisper quite, the top right hand side of the console is hot to touch.This wasnt on my launch version

I explained why this is a page or two back. don't worry about it.

Vashetti

Banned
Got the Metal Gear Solid V console last night.

I am so glad I traded my launch model in for this version.

I went from a Hair Dryer model to whisper quite.

Do you have "supply power to USB ports" ticked in Power Saving Settings?

big_z

Maybe because you switched dusted console for a brand new model? :)

nothing to do with dust. fresh out of the box 11xx models were never anywhere close to being as quiet as the 12xx.

if youre suspending a game or didn't close running software sometimes the ps4 fucks up and is still running at full speed. sometimes it will force close the software and youll hear 3 beeps but at times it gets stuck. if you close your software before powering down it should be fine.

hwy_61

Banned
I thought I was crazy, but others have the same hair dryer sound. I may get rid of my current one and get one of these new models. Best Buy has one that says "new" on the product page. It's a bundle with TLoU. That would be one of these less power consuming ones right?

big_z

I thought I was crazy, but others have the same hair dryer sound. I may get rid of my current one and get one of these new models. Best Buy has one that says "new" on the product page. It's a bundle with TLoU. That would be one of these less power consuming ones right?

the new boxes don't have a handle. that's the easiest way to check. the model number is also on the bottom of the box. I had to call a few best buys to fine one, theres a lot of old stock out there.

hwy_61

Banned
the new boxes don't have a handle. that's the easiest way to check. the model number is also on the bottom of the box. I had to call a few best buys to fine one, theres a lot of old stock out there.

Ah, got it. Is it safe to assume that the Destiny bundle will be a 1200?

Gameskeeper

Neo Member
Apparently the CUH-1200 model comes with a redesigned HDD case containing a drive that is only 7 mm thick. Will a 9.5mm thick hard drive still fit in?

Apparently the CUH-1200 model comes with a redesigned HDD case containing a drive that is only 7 mm thick. Will a 9.5mm thick hard drive still fit in?

Hmm I don't think that's true though?

Digital Foundry just did a hands-on with the newer revision

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111898

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

Added to this, we have a slightly thicker 500GB HDD in the new console - a Samsung Spinpoint drive that's swapped from the thinner HGST drive in our original PS4.

t_wilson01

If you're suspending a game or didn't close running software sometimes the ps4 fucks up and is still running at full speed. sometimes it will force close the software and you'll hear 3 beeps but at times it gets stuck. if you close your software before powering down it should be fine.
A couple days ago I started to download TLoU:R and suspended the system. It took longer then usual and beeped three times before finally entering suspend mode. The next day I turned the system on with the DS4 and it prompted me to press the PS button to use the controller. However, none of the buttons worked now. Using the USB cable had no effect either.

I pressed the power button on the console and it entered suspend mode again. I pressed the PS button to turn it on once more and the same thing happened. I guess the system was "repairing" what had gone wrong as it started working normally after a couple of minutes.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I just got this model (my first PS4). Is the system supposed to make a briefly make a high pitched whizzing sound when you first turn it on / whenever the disc spins? It sounds like the disc drive to me.

Traded in launch model for new Destiny Taken King console.

No dent on the front of mine.

SSD performance appears to be the same, but haven't actually timed anything yet.

HDD cover extremely easy to remove compared to my launch one. My launch one seemed to always be stuck.

Glossy artwork. Looks like Marble from afar when not in direct light. Gorgeous.

Seems quieter overall.

Is the new model worth getting? Its either that or get an older model PS4 on craigslist for 300.

Also how can you tell if the store carries the newer model?

Looking at getting one today.

Vamp

I just got back from the store (sharaf dg in Abu Dhabi) and all models were 12XX, slowly the old model will be gone forever.

Is the new model worth getting? Its either that or get an older model PS4 on craigslist for 300.

Also how can you tell if the store carries the newer model?

Looking at getting one today.

The model number should be listed somewhere along the bottom of the box, but, as I understand it, all MGS and Destiny special editions are the new model. Still, just double check for the numbers, they'll be there.

Chronos24

The model number should be listed somewhere along the bottom of the box, but, as I understand it, all MGS and Destiny special editions are the new model. Still, just double check for the numbers, they'll be there.

Can confirm picked up Destiny bundle today and it is in fact the 1200 model. It looks so incredibly sexy. Will post about noise levels once I get the chance to test it out. I have the big offenders which are Bloodborne, TLOU, and Rocket League. Very interested to see how they perform.

Eiji

My CUH-1100 model would hit 70-72db in Killzone: Shadowfall. The CUH-1200 I just got maxes out at 55-57db which is much quieter!

Chronos24

My CUH-1100 model would hit 70-72db in Killzone: Shadowfall. The CUH-1200 I just got maxes out at 55-57db which is much quieter!

Got my Destiny Bundle thanks to the amazing customer service of GameStop. Switched my 1100 model out for it. Was able to test it a little last night playing TLOU multiplayer (constant offender of noise for sure) and it was worlds quieter. In fact I noticed a stark difference between the 1200 model and all the previous ones I had (read previous posts I've been through a lot of systems). Every system before this one always had that Whirrrr sound that you could easily hear on YouTube vids. Some were less than others when it came to that but they always made that sound. With this model the fan does go "higher" but not anywhere near like the others and there is ZERO whirr noise. It's literally just the very light whoosh of air coming out. Is the system dead silent..No... But only if you sit literally right next to it. 6 feet away, its totally inaudible. Next tests will be Rocket League and Bloodborne

Edited for spelling

Anyone got impressions on the new destiny console thinking of grabbing it

Much quieter than my launch unit. Does feel warmer to the touch, but I believe that was explained in the thread.

The console itself is beautiful. The artwork is on glossy white and really works well. My particular one doesn't have the dent that some 1200 units have on the front. Perhaps was an early production run issue only.

I love it. Swapped an SSD into mine, stock was a Toshiba drive.

Intel_89

I started noticing that at times my 1200-CUH makes a high pitch sound when the fans are running fast (Rocket League or after a long playing session), It's nothing major during the day but at night when I have to keep my volume low it becomes slightly irritating. Does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Found a video of someone with the exact same problem, apparently according to the comments it has something to do with the HDD, dunno if it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqVWjYEAkU

big_z

I started noticing that at times my 1200-CUH makes a high pitch sound when the fans are running fast (Rocket League or after a long playing session), It's nothing major during the day but at night when I have to keep my volume low it becomes slightly irritating. Does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Found a video of someone with the exact same problem, apparently according to the comments it has something to do with the HDD, dunno if it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqVWjYEAkU

ya mine makes that noise and others have mentioned it as well. its not constant but comes and goes at random. seems to happen more often when the system is under load. I don't know if its the hard drive, it sounds like it comes from the power supply so it might be electrical whine but im not sure. Maybe someone can test different hard drives and see if the noise persists.

personally while the noise sucks, its not that hard to ignore and its far less annoying than the noise output of the older models.

mindsale

Is the difference in noise that noticeable? My launch PS4 is absolutely "hair dryer mode" that someone mentioned earlier. Kiiiiiiiind of want to upgrade, but I don't want to be burdened with reinstallation of apps and things.

Intel_89

That's the thing, the new unit is so much quieter than the original that such a small thing like this manages to be an annoyance. And yes, in my case it seems like the sound comes from the right side of the system (power supply side), it'd be a blessing if it was from the HDD in my case because I plan to swap the stock one in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to mentally muffle the noise.

Is the difference in noise that noticeable? My launch PS4 is absolutely "hair dryer mode" that someone mentioned earlier. Kiiiiiiiind of want to upgrade, but I don't want to be burdened with reinstallation of apps and things.

Yeah the difference is pretty noticeable, playing indies like Xeodrifter and Soundshapes for example the system makes pretty much no sound at all, when put under a heavier load (Rocket League or some retail game) it still manages to be quiet, I'd say it's on par with my Wii U.

Top Bottom