• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 update just leaked few hours before the announcement

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Live wallpapers!

Only available on the US...

feel fridge GIF

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So basically everyday users don't have this, just youtube dweebs do? I'll be curious if anyone here gets it.....Im a US user, and i don't have it.

Last edited:
Guys stop falling there's now live wallpapers or custom bkg in PS5. The wallpaper/bkg only applies to the Explore tab. The moment you start scrolling across you will no longer see custom bkg/image.

It is a joke. I'm in the U.S., but what makes this update available only to us? Why? It can't be a translation thing, right?
In its current form it is basically a bunch of "news" articles related to games you have played, which obviously can blur the line between news and an ad. So it might be a regulatory issue, possibly because it uses your PS5 games played to specifically give you news/ads for those games (which might be a privacy issue in the EU). It also suggests user uploaded videos/live streams (again based on your games played).

You aren't missing much by not having the current explore tab, but the new one looks much better.

King Dazzar

Yeah, I'm happy just still not having the explore tab at all. Here in the UK I turn on my PS5 and it immediately sits on my last played game. Surely thats better than seeing an explore tab with fluff on boot up? Even if that fluff is better than the previous fluff. lol

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 here in the UK, we don't have an explore tab at all. Which has been great.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, I'm happy just still not having the explore tab at all. Here in the UK I turn on my PS5 and it immediately sits on my last played game. Surely thats better than seeing an explore tab with fluff on boot up? Even if that fluff is better than the previous fluff. lol

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 here in the UK, we don't have an explore tab at all. Which has been great.

Hmmmmm........now I see. I take back that it's a joke of a situation then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does it still boot up to a screen full of ads? Because my god, that's the one feature I wish I could disable.

Literally times when I think "I wanna play something on the PS5" which is immediately followed by "yeah, but I don't feel like being advertised to at the moment"

Does it still boot up to a screen full of ads? Because my god, that's the one feature I wish I could disable.

Literally times when I think "I wanna play something on the PS5" which is immediately followed by "yeah, but I don't feel like being advertised to at the moment"

lol seriously? I do think it’s dumb and I’m shocked Sony would ever even think of removing control of that screen. That’s free money for them basically.

With that said I don’t care and honestly I kind of like seeing the advertisements. Sometimes I find out about games that weren’t on my radar or I was interested in but forgot about.

On top of all that it takes like what? 1 second to move past it.

drotahorror

I don't get on my ps5 much but I never found their ads intrusive at all.

Hell, when I start steam I have a pop up that I 9x out of 10 close out of instantly along with a full page of 'ads' before I click library.

lol seriously? I do think it’s dumb and I’m shocked Sony would ever even think of removing control of that screen. That’s free money for them basically.

With that said I don’t care and honestly I kind of like seeing the advertisements. Sometimes I find out about games that weren’t on my radar or I was interested in but forgot about.

We shouldn't have to see advertisements on the home screen. Keep it to the damn store. Most people want to game to escape and have it be a place to get peace not be frickin inundated with more advertising! Not everyone signs up for PS plus and Xbox live/gamepass either.

It's so obnoxious and btw if he thinks Playstation is bad wait until he sees the Xbox homescreen!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I don't get on my ps5 much but I never found their ads intrusive at all.

Hell, when I start steam I have a pop up that I 9x out of 10 close out of instantly along with a full page of 'ads' before I click library.

I just don't want to have to look at advertisements on a $500 game machine I bought

fuck me, right?
Fuck Me Right I Know GIF

drotahorror

I just don't want to have to look at advertisements on a $500 game machine I bought

fuck me, right?
Fuck Me Right I Know GIF

I just see the PS5 frontend as a storefront. I think you should have the option to disable though, definitely. Kind of like how with Steam, it defaults to my library (via an option). But AFAIK I can't get rid of the popup ad on Steam.

damidu

its u.s. only thing for some reason.

Top Bottom