• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Revelations 2 Gameplay

Lime

I can't believe how bad the level textures are in this game.

I like Claire's design in this game, but that's about the only relatively positive thing I can muster to say about something that looks like a factory-produced clusterfuck sent to die.

Cha

Well, to be honest after looking at these vids, I definitely can definitely see the TLOU resemblance. Don't really mind. The microtransaction stuff is stupid, but at least there are ways to get the items in question in-game as well. But still, unnecessary. The main gameplay looks alright, but Raid mode looks a lot more appealing to me. I'd like to give this game a shot, but only if the Vita port is done right. Though f I remember correctly,the port is not being handled by Capcom directly? So yeah, would like to see some Vita footage at some point. (Vids so far actually look like a Vita game, despite not being the case). Port better not be crazy downgraded.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What I'm surprised about having caught up on all the news is how many Raid Mode stages there are. Around 200 stages!? And they look to be around the same length as the first Revelations Raid Mode stages. I know some of the stages are returning locations from Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 1, but fucking A, that's a lot.

What I'm surprised about having caught up on all the news is how many Raid Mode stages there are. Around 200 stages!? And they look to be around the same length as the first Revelations Raid Mode stages. I know some of the stages are returning locations from Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 1, but fucking A, that's a lot.

What are your thoughts on the overall game by looking at the previews, Golem?

They were just revealed at the Spanish presentation event. You have to pay to continue if they kill you mid-chapter, if not you have to start that chapter again from the start.

http://www.mundogamers.com/noticia-resident-evil-revelations-2-tendra-micropagos.9263.html

o9VWeTJ.gif

Dusk Golem

What are your thoughts on the overall game by looking at the previews, Golem?

I don't really have full thoughts until I play something, and I try to play things through to completion to collect my full thoughts on something. However, if I had to summarize my thoughts thus far;

At first, I wasn't all that interested in it. Being a horror enthusiast and a fan of the franchise, I was going to pick it up day 1 and play through it, but I wasn't really interested or excited for it for a while. To these ends, I should mention I've played and enjoyed most of the franchise, I need to finish Gun Survivor 2, and I plan to play the Outbreak games really soon now that they can be played online with fan servers, but I've played every other main Resident Evil game and spin-off. Despite this, for a period of time I lacked enthusiasm for it.

However, I got more interested around the time that Barry was revealed and not even because of Barry. Strangely what got me more interested than anything is the environments. They aren't super fantastic looking, but there's areas in the game I really like the art direction, it has a kind of cold and isolated feeling to it. I also saw snippets of gameplay that raised my intrigue in the media released, including a scene of Barry in these super dark woods with some mist and only a flashlight to see, as enemies come out of the darkness, a scenario that I find appealing, among other appealing scenarios that popped up, like a scene where they're scaling some cliffsides and these mutated insects attack them, all while having a view of the ocean below, but a more rigged ocean than scenic, and the cliffs feeling appropriately rigid as well.

My feelings on it have formed some from them. I knew from the start this was a low-budget game because I immediately spotted re-used animations. Claire has a variety of animations that were used for Leon in Resident Evil 6, Barry has some Chris animations. The Afflicted, the main enemies in the game, share identical movements to the zombies from Resident Evil 6, the.... Dog things that are pigs have the same animations as the dogs in Resident Evil 6. And now, the Raid Mode animations and taunts are directly out of Lost Planet 2. And of course, the sort of visual look of the game. However, low budget doesn't concern me, and I'm not bothered Capcom are cutting corners by re-using animations. I'm actually surprised less have noticed it until now, especially the enemy animations, which I have not seen anyone mention yet.

On the flip-side, a few enemies have me really curious and intrigued, some examples include that multi-faced sewn-together enemy, who's animations I do not recognize and seems creepy and tough, the invisible fish-like enemy that Natalie can see but Barry can't, I also spotted an enemy in the Raid Mode videos posted recently that I find interesting, but it hasn't appeared in videos or anything so far besides these Raid clips, so I won't bring it up as not 'official' media, like trailers and clips and such.

I actually like the secondary position character role, and can see how it could be well-utilized and fun to play as even. I know many people are asking the question, "Who would want to play as them in a co-op situation?," but it appeals to me because they seem harder to play as and would probably make the game a lot more tense, plus while they can't kill enemies, it seems they can do a number of things in the environment that Barry and Claire can't do, effect and interact with the enemies in unorthodox ways, and I think while not who I'd want to play as during a first playthrough, I'd have a lot of fun in the role replaying the game as them with people who had never played the game before.

Audio-wise, it honestly sounds fantastic to me so far. This is probably where I'm most fully impressed. I am really liking the music I've heard thus far, both original and a number or remixed tracks I've heard, I like the enemy sounds a lot, I like the detail in the environment sounds.

I find Barry and his daughter amusing, I know the daughter's dialogue and Barry's role have people ragging on both of them, but I already find both of them appealing. Less thoughts formed on Claire in this game and Natalie, thus far.

Raid Mode seems to have seen a number of improvements from what I've seen, I honestly think the game may be worth admittance price just for that. Happy online play has been confirmed, the music in Raid Mode is rocking, it looks addictive, I love the new hub level area and digital 'lab rat' schematic for Raid Mode as well, and the fact that once Revelations 2 is fully released it will have around 200 stages is mind boggling to me, even if it uses areas from Revelations 2, Revelations 1, and Resident Evil 6.

Also, some spoilers here, something that was leaked by achievements about game modes.
I also find it interesting how Revelations 2 has unlockable modes like REmake did, I don't know what Countdown Mode is, but Invisible Mode, if it's what it sounds like, should be interesting.

Micro-transactions for the crystals in Raid Mode is lame, but easy to ignore and doesn't bother me. It reminds me of the EX DLC in Tales of Vesperia, and similar stuff in other RPG games, like Agarest.

I've gone from lack of interest to actually looking forward to this, I have my suspicions this game will turn out better than many here on GAF think it will, but think it'll just do alright review wise. Especially as the game is no graphical darling, and the low-budget is showing. My expectations are that of the spin-off series for the franchise, my favorite spin-off title I have played so far was Dead Aim (I think severely underrated, though it may no longer be my favorite once I play the Outbreak games soon, we shall see). I want to see how it compares, and if it's as similar to B-Tier horror games from the early 2000s as I think it is.

I don't expect anything out of the story though. The first Revelations story was amusing, but wasn't than impressionable, and had some really dumb, 'twists'.

I'll see what I think of it when it comes out and such.

People questioning the graphics have to understand that yeah this is a lower budget title.

And I'm glad that Capcom is beginning to make them, Dead Rising Case zero and Case West were really great, really fun games. They need to go back to releasing some lower budget arcade titles like the old days and I think RERE2 is a step in the right direction.

True.

Re6 was an bloated budgeted disaster.

See I don't mind them reusing animations. If it keep costs down and allows them to move on to the other aspects of the games design then go ahead. Why redo running animations for example in every new 'RE game when it's all really the same thing.

I was expecting the worst given some of these response, but watching the Barry gameplay it looked pretty decent to me. The environments were quite spot on for a survival horror.

And finally, we get an RE game with stealth kills lol.

FLAguy954

Video that has more missions shown in Raid Mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjwnH3e08E

I am honestly considering buying this game on PSN just to mess around in Raid mode and not even bother with the main campaign.
The game does not look too good. It's an obvious budget title, and it shows. But the game is only $20 for me on PSN, that's low enough for me to just mess around in Raid mode for a while.

I was considering doing this for the PC version until I realized that it will be just like Revelations 1 in that you will still have to complete the campaign mode to unlock Raid levels, which, from what I have seen, I am unwilling to do.

Dusk Golem

I was considering doing this for the PC version until I realized that it will be just like Revelations 1 in that you will still have to complete the campaign mode to unlock Raid levels, which, from what I have seen, I am unwilling to do.

In the Raid Mode breakdown, it says the Raid Mode stages come with the purchase, unlocked. Which makes sense, as in this game you could only buy Episode 4, for example, and play that if you wanted too.

FLAguy954

In the Raid Mode breakdown, it says the Raid Mode stages come with the purchase, unlocked. Which makes sense, as in this game you could only buy Episode 4, for example, and play that if you wanted too.

Oh, okay. I might just pick it up on Steam when the price is right. I'll see if the game has any bugs from early adopters first :p.

Glad im not the only one who caught the TLoU influences...

Well, I guess if there was a game they were going to take notes from TLoU would be a good example.

Riposte

I was expecting the worst given some of these response, but watching the Barry gameplay it looked pretty decent to me. The environments were quite spot on for a survival horror.

And finally, we get an RE game with stealth kills lol.

Stealth kills isn't new. Sneaking stance is though.

Daigoro

oh shit that fleshed out RAID mode looks awesome. cant wait!

it'd be nice if the campaign is good too, but RAID will be enough for me if it isnt.

MrPanic

I wonder how much budget this game had because it looks immensely cheap, not sure what causes it but there's something really off putting about these gameplay vids.

Still a big fan of the original raid mode and it still looks fun in this game, so I'll try to keep this game on my radar. Kinda wish they made a separate game out of raid mode though, like they did for the mercenaries mode.

Rambone

Raid mode is pretty tempting but not enough to have me change my mind about this game. I have a feeling this game will tank and end up with a heavy discount after a month, I can easily wait for that based on what I've seen.

Beth Cyra

Do we know if Re5/6 Chris is available in Raid mode? Or is it like REV 1 with mostly just Alt costumes as different characters?

*A lovely post*

Goddamn, Dusk, you're making me want to play it...ugh.

Still probably waiting until all the episodes are out. Just not sure how far I can get into these games with where the stories have been going. Especially worries me since these are two of the most down-to-earth characters in the series.

After the quality of animation in RE6 this looks embarrassing. The budget must have been coming purely from loose change found in the couch.

Stealth kills isn't new. Sneaking stance is though.

Oh right, I forgot that you could sometimes do a melee kill from behind... Mostly because every enemy is always facing you lol.

But yeah, I'm surprised it took this long for these survival horror games to implement sneaking.

Blackage

Not surprising that they're copying The Last of Us, modern Capcom can't seem to come up with an original or new idea, its all about playing it safe. =/

Schlomo

I don't really follow games media, just saw that the Destructoid preview was pretty positive.
How are previews from other sites?

Greenzxy

Are we looking at the same game here? Bad Textures, unpolished models? Maybe its because I don't play much resident evil, but visually this looks like one the most gorgeous last gen game I've ever seen. Am I missing a joke here?

The game looks decent and yes it does look like TLOU had a child with Amy. For some reason, when I saw this I also thought about Amy almost immediately. The little girl I guess. Eh, I'll still try it out since I like these type of games.

bobawesome

Are we looking at the same game here? Bad Textures, unpolished models? Maybe its because I don't play much resident evil, but visually this looks like one the most gorgeous last gen game I've ever seen. Am I missing a joke here?

Naw. I think it looks fine, too.

Comparing this to TLOU is being generous.

I'm trying to understand what TLOU comparisons are coming from. Is it A.I. partners? Those being children? That RE has had before TLOU even was a passing thought, as with some of the inspirational material?

Edit: Lol, one of the most gorgeous games from last gen? RE fan divisiveness is reaching new heights. It doesn't look bad by any means given the budget, but c'mon.

Just finished replaying RE2 on the Vita after all those years and I need more Claire. She's just so awesome. I hope this game does her justice but I'm not holding my breath.

Daigoro

the hell? take a look at some RE5 screens for comparison. that game was fantastic looking, this game... not so much.

am i being trolled, or do you really think this game is "gorgeous"?

The Raccoon forest herbs are really kicking in!

Man this game looks ugly.

lol

and yeah its pretty ugly. should be fun for RE fans though.

Steez

I'm trying to understand what TLOU comparisons are coming from. Is it A.I. partners? Those being children? That RE has had before TLOU even was a passing thought, as with some of the inspirational material?

The issue isn't just that Barry is cosplaying as Joel while protecting a little girl. It's because so many people saw this coming a mile away. Capcom has been shamelessly copying elements from the biggest contemporary games for a while now. And so far it never really worked out to their benefit.

Comparing this to TLOU is being generous.

Joel has a backpack, Barry has a backpack.
Joel's got a little girl with him, Barry has a little girl with him.
Joel pulls up metal shutters and lets a little girl pass through, Barry pulls up metal shutters and lets a little girl pass through.

The likeness is ENDLESS!

Top Bottom