• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new RTS game Stormgate by ex starcraft2 developers

BlackTron

Yeah, RTS developers have no idea what the fuck they're doing in regards to who the players are and what they want. Point in question, Relic with Age 4. Age 4 has a 8000K peak in the last 24 hours while Age 2 has a 21K peak. Relic was so obsessed with making the game for esports and talking to the "pros" that they failed to see the forrest for the trees - meaning nobody gives the slightest flying fuck about competitive multiplayer and esports. Nearly the entirety of the playerbase is interested in singleplayer, they dont devote every second of each day to learning the game inside out to play online. So of course, the game kinda failed.

This guy here did a video with a lot of interesting hard data. Starcraft 2 averages between 2 and 3 million monthly players to this day, so there is a large playerbase for RTS games. But also, nearly 80% of the 7500 responses given to poll of this video identify themselves as casual players who are interested in singleplayer, campaign and skirmish. All these developers obsessed with multiplayer and esports are chasing an imaginary and very small audience instead of focusing on singleplayer. Do good and massive campaigns, good skirmish modes with loads of maps, deep gameplay systems and excelent AI and you'll have a winner. Instead they keep banging their heads against the wall with the same multiplayer shit that apeals to a handfull of players. I somehow want to take this video and shove it down Relic's throat and the devs that make Company of Heroes 3. But they're again listening to the "pro" retards

And then when the games don't do well it's our fault for not buying new RTS games anymore.

I would have been down for a new AoE especially if I could play it with my new Xbox...which I use with a mouse daily already...but I never even tried Age 4. Even though I technically have the subscription to do it LOL. I look at the game and just feel that if I cared enough to play it, I would have been playing more Age2 already. After 47 versions of Age2 as it is, meh.

Spyxos

I will certainly test it, since it is from the ex Starcraft makers, but it somehow looks more like a wc3 clone and the character models are also rather generic.

amigastar

I will certainly test it, since it is from the ex Starcraft makers, but it somehow looks more like a wc3 clone and the character models are also rather generic.

I would rather see a Diabloesque clone but this looks also nice. Will there be a campaign?

amigastar

It looks exactly like Starcraft 2 tbh. From what i've seen. Idk if that's a good thing (yet).

Last edited:

Barakov

It is a f2p game don't expect too much.
RQF3TNL.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup, just went all in and kickstarted the shit out of this

Hudo

Congrats to anyone who is into this. I am just not feeling it. But granted, outside of WarCraft 3 (the original), which I consider one of the best games ever made, I was never big on Blizzard's RTS formula. And unfortunately I never liked StarCraft.

But I guess for people who love Blizzard-style RTS games, this might be the next big thing. So I wish you all that this pans out!

Congrats to anyone who is into this. I am just not feeling it. But granted, outside of WarCraft 3 (the original), which I consider one of the best games ever made, I was never big on Blizzard's RTS formula. And unfortunately I never liked StarCraft.

But I guess for people who love Blizzard-style RTS games, this might be the next big thing. So I wish you all that this pans out!
I'm with you, I just wasn't down with the RTS change from C&C to SC then to WC.

Haven't really been a RTS players since Red Alert etc. Halo Wars 1/2 were pretty cool for me but spart from that nothing that gives me the C&C must play feel.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well... iv backed worse projects iv wanted less. So I slapped down 60$ the fact there going to be copying the coop mode from Starcraft 2 with one more player alongside the more traditional competitive got me interested.

It does look more like WC3 than SC, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing really.

This is definitely a wait-and-see. I can totally see the day one build being radically altered in short order based on player feedback once a lot of people have it. I’d rather not have to relearn the game multiple times.

Honestly I’d rather have a full blown remake of SC 1 and 2 with a super high budget and redone cutscenes.

Last edited:

YuLY

I dont like the art style. Tempest Rising is all I need, hopefully it is out before Embracer implodes.

Hudo

I'm with you, I just wasn't down with the RTS change from C&C to SC then to WC.

Haven't really been a RTS players since Red Alert etc. Halo Wars 1/2 were pretty cool for me but spart from that nothing that gives me the C&C must play feel.
Maybe it's a Command & Conquer thing, because this was the first RTS (series) that I grew up with and the very first C&C was my very first video game. I also love the Age of Empires games. But something about the Blizzard-formula just doesn't work for me. And that something is somehow multiplied with StarCraft. I never really sat down and thought about what it exactly is, though.

Halo Wars 1/2 were pretty cool for what they were trying to do, I agree! It's a shame that Halo Wars 2 never made it to Steam and will most likely forever remain shackled to the Windows Store.

Top Bottom