• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

FordGTGuy

Banned
Graphically this looks fantastic. I lolled at the storyline though. MS really want Ryse to be their 'God of War'.

Yeah because the whole, all your family was killed story line started with God of War.

Is every Roman & Greek game from now on going to be considered a God of War clone?

What about Gladiator? A God of War clone movie that came out five years before the first God of War?

excowboy

Until the graphics are so good that the soldier man literally walks out of the screen and stabs me its just 'meh'

Looks pretty damn good to me. I also enjoyed how the voiceover sounded like a stupid South Park voice :)

cripterion

It's pretty shocking that open trolling is allowed these days. Everyone has thier preferences, even the mods, but to let blatant derailing of threads continue, and to not do anything about it?

Personally I'd like dedicated threads for each of the consoles. This way, geniuene fans of games can talk without constant trolling that's everywhere these days.

It comes with the territory. I like Neogaf, so gotta take the good with the bad. Every single internet forum has trolls jumping on threads and talking bs.
What sucks though, is when you have guys with a clear bias/agenda that start threads and blatantly lie and spread falsehoods and some people take it as genuine impressions because not everyone goes to check the guy's posting history (I was one of those).

So I'll always take new impressions with a grain of salt as of now.

Here is a larger version: (with reduced FPS)
ibbf3lUvBrzCWD.gif

I am not seeing any screen tear... One thing that I noticed and the reason why I find the materials to be great is due to the bounce light reflection in the shadows from the ground on his face and his helmet, the SSR reflection of his head on his armor as the camera turns, and the general nature of the materials themselves. Having a really hard time agreeing with you when you say "Something looks way off." I think you would find trouble having people agree with you there... I think it looks quite good from a material point of view.

Loooks waaaay better than helmet on gif.. Like million times. All the dark shots (like the helmet on gif) have been underwhelmig... Now all that grainy poop away that gif gives and bam. It suck that I have to go with so little because of my shitty internet.. I put the gif to download and estimated time is 20 min. I am quite sure about screentear as it was always the same spot that I noticed it. Well I am not screentear expert so I have to cap it if I can be arsed to proof it. But who actually cares.

I find it funny how this game nails daylight as something like driveclub daylight is pretty bad looking. There are some nitpickins one could do but what game does not.

Edit1: Watched frame by frame and it was my computer. No screentear... After loading my comp teared the shit out of this gif. What a beast is this computer.

Doffen

Yeah because the whole, all your family was killed story line started with God of War.

Is every Roman & Greek game from now on going to be considered a God of War clone?

What about Gladiator? A God of War clone movie that came out five years before the first God of War?

When did you get back?

velociraptor

Never change FordGTGuy.

Majanew

Banned
Character models are really great. Even the teeth look real. Really wish I had access to uncompressed footage.

mTjCmDM.png

Xnvb3qH.png

CryEngine looks hot on next-gen hardware. Where you at, UE4?

velociraptor

Character models are really great. Even the teeth look real. Really wish I had access to uncompressed footage.

mTjCmDM.png

Xnvb3qH.png

So much for 'next-gen is underpowered'.

As an overall package, this looks visually more appealing than Crysis 3.

mTjCmDM.png

Xnvb3qH.png

MC:s face looks like from differend universe. way out of place. Armour looks weird still, but seems to have some very nice detail. I can not be really bothered to enlarge those pics couse of their compression... Seems to be trend nextgen... or maybe my standars have just became higher. Will be cool to see if 900p makes no difference on tv screen.

I haave to say I should have maybe waited little longer before writing anything... but it gave me that big glorious gif.

I still can not reference armour metal with anything real life metal... It looks brushed... is it painted? Discussion is moot if so.

Edit1: What pops out to me is lips and hair. Really good. We have had great faces already this gen but these are more natural. In upper shot that great face looks bit out of place in that helmet. MC still looks like an alien. Never been fan of ryses artstyle(I blame mc) but that daytime gif.

Edit2: From real games this is second most impressive looking next gen title. NBA 2k14 Is most impressive. Pure asthetics I like most deep down.

Looks like the Rome II total war bullshots.

I would wet myself if you could be playing Total War: Rome 2, and then when you head into a battle, you have the option of fighting it Ryse style, taking command of one of your generals in the battle, switching between tactical view, and up close Ryse style fighting mode. Good lord that would be awesome, and never ever happen.

velociraptor

God of War? What looks like GoW to you? Outside of it being based on a Roman aesthetic and time period nothing is jumping out as GOW to me.
There was a long 4chan post about how MS wanted Ryse to be their very own GOW. I immediately got flashbacks of Kratos' mission to avenge his dead wife and child after the trailer mentioned it.

Majanew

Banned
MC:s face looks like from differend universe. way out of place. Armour looks weird still, but seems to have some very nice detail. I can not be really bothered to enlarge those pics couse of their compression... Seems to be trend nextgen... or maybe my standars have just became higher. Will be cool to see if 900p makes no difference on tv screen.

I haave to say I should have maybe waited little longer before writing anything... but it gave me that big glorious gif.

I still can not reference armour metal with anything real life metal... It looks brushed... is it painted? Discussion is moot if so.

Marius's nose looks like it's been broken. Or Crytek designed it that way to give him a Spartan-esque profile look to him. And the armor looks great. The material shaders are some of the best I've seen.

And those screens are highly compressed 1280x720 captures. 1600x900 uncompressed is going to look even better.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Didn't Kratos himself kill his family?
So Ryse will also have next gen sex mini games?

We can only hope, put those facial joints to good use.

500 boner joints?

There was a long 4chan post about how MS wanted Ryse to be their very own GOW. I immediately got flashbacks of Kratos' mission to avenge his dead wife and child after the trailer mentioned it.

If anything Kratos's story is like a retelling of the trials of Hercules.

have very small scale scenes

ibmEfvo2jID9pp.gif

kartu

Banned
Looks great, the only not so nice thing I've noticed was the way swords move inside victim's body, hopefully they'll improve the animation.

An Italian accent wouldn't be technically accurate either. What do you want them to sound like?
No strong accent whatsoever.

British accents are used to inject badassery to characters where neither the regional accent or a yanky drawl are appropriate.
Which, pardon my French, makes no fucking sense to me.

Marius's nose looks like it's been broken. Or Crytek designed it that way to give him a Spartan-esque profile look to him. And the armor looks great. The material shaders are some of the best I've seen.

And those screens are highly compressed 1280x720 captures. 1600x900 uncompressed is going to look even better.

When I see close-up of armour, first thing i think is not that, that looks like metal of some sort. It(armour) looks great at distance as that scene with multiple soldiers indicates. Engine scales well it seems. Altough gifs are moot device to discuss details.

It's almost as if Xbox One wasn't supposed to be able to achieve these visuals. So it's all BULLSHIT! Bullshit, I tell ya.

It is more of first time there seems to be clear difference between current and nextgen. This, NBA2k14 and some indies are only games screaming nextgen. Order looks nice too but I have seen way too little of it atm. I am more shocked how little Guerilla have done to give wows... Latest build was first wow in that game.

abadguy

Banned
I never understand why people troll gfx, it looks good so if your a ps4 only fan take comfort in knowing a machine less powerful is pulling this shit off. Next gen is going to look fucking great on either machine. Day one for me, have we seen any females yet in this game?.

Still waiting to see Boudica, who is supposed to be in this game.

Eoin

Looks great, the only not so nice thing I've noticed was the way swords move inside victim's body, hopefully they'll improve the animation.

No strong accent whatsoever.

Which, pardon my French, makes no fucking sense to me.

What does this even mean?

Top Bottom