• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saint's Row images (IGN)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747896/imgs_1.html
saints-row-20050908113615329.jpg

saints-row-20050908113616485.jpg

saints-row-20050908113617423.jpg

saints-row-20050908113618407.jpg

saints-row-20050908113619407.jpg

saints-row-20050908113620485.jpg

saints-row-20050908113621423.jpg

I like the shadowing and lighting, but the texturing could use some more variety.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Something about bad art or real time or fps or self shadows. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Remedy said:
looks pretty poor for a next gen game...

Yeah you're right, I mean it only barely looks better than San Andreas!
san_andreas-07.jpg

Oh wait no, it looks like a gazillion times better, your mistake.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Optimistic said:
ss-14.jpg

How many zeros is gazillion?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I see what you did there. You acted like he asked a question and then answered it yourself. You also provided screen shots as evidence. Good show!

There is no question that this game doesn't look so hot. Granted, the gameplay is going to be what makes or breaks the title in the end, but since we're talking screenshots here...

I'd rather take a hit in the graphics department just to have a bigger draw-in distance and far, far more people walking on the streets. GTA3 had many moments where I felt the city was a ghost town. Vice City was much worse.

Give me lower poly'd models and I really don't need the excessive physics. I just want it all to be practical. IMO, it'd be more fun weaving (or driving straight over them) your way through a traffic jam with hundreds of people on the street instead of blowing up or crashing into only a handful and watch them break apart realistically.

Matlock

Banned
You'll be getting lots of hands-on impressions sometime soon from lots of places if it was playable at THQ's expo last night.

Juice

You guys really think this looks good? I honestly thought the guy who whipped out the GTA:SA screen was going to comment that the difference was only marginal.

I think it looks kinda like ass.

urk said:
I see what you did there. You acted like he asked a question and then answered it yourself. You also provided screen shots as evidence. Good show!

Uh, no, I didn't do that at all. Reading comprehension isn't exactly your forte is it.

There is no question that this game doesn't look so hot. Granted, the gameplay is going to be what makes or breaks the title in the end, but since we're talking screenshots here...

It doesn't look amazing, no, but what open ended game with huge environments does? Were you amazed by GTA3's graphics when you first saw it? Hell no, or if you were then the position you're defending in this thread is a joke. The game looks good, graphically, but PGR3 and Gears of War shit all over it, because they're more linear and focus more on detail than scope.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Juice said:
You guys really think this looks good? I honestly thought the guy who whipped out the GTA:SA screen was going to comment that the difference was only marginal.

:lol Me too.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
It's a game on a large scale, there will obvioulsy have to be sacrifices. The shadows do it for me personally. The textures look pretty good as well.

IJoel

Underwhelming.

I actually thought previous screen captures of the game looked decent, but these ones are pretty bad.

Dracos

Does this game look like ass compared to some other next gen efforts? - Yes

Does environment size and scope play a large hand in that lack of detail? - Yes

Does this endless deluge of GTA clones piss me off? - Hell Yes

raYne

IJoel said:
Underwhelming.

I actually thought previous screen captures of the game looked decent, but these ones are pretty bad.
Except that it looks exactly the same as the previous pics... so umm... yeah..

Juice said:
You're kidding right?

Hint:
It's Oblivion, you dumbass.

Oblivion doesn't look amazing. It looks very good, considering its scope, but I'm not blown away by it, and it certainly doesn't look that much better, technically, than Saint's Row, from the screens I've seen.

And btw, I don't give a shit about Saint's Row, have no interest in the game whatsoever, but will definitely be picking up Oblviion asap.

oh and p.s. resorting to petty insults is a sure indication that you are in fact the dumbarse. :lol

I'm sorry but this game looks ugly, the textures look so fucking bland and generic, wheres the next gen leap in texture quality and work

yeah the polygon count is higher and the draw distance is longer but when it looks this ugly i really don't want to look that far into the distance

Shin Johnpv said:
I'm sorry but this game looks ugly, the textures look so fucking bland and generic, wheres the next gen leap in texture quality and work

yeah the polygon count is higher and the draw distance is longer but when it looks this ugly i really don't want to look that far into the distance

the friggin curbs in this game alone PWN your opinion. LOOK AT THOSE BRICKS NOOTCH!!! :lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Juice said:
Haha, same here.

This really doesn't look good. Look at the tires on the car in the last pic! HIDEOS

raYne

IJoel said:
Not my fault they picked crappy shots. :p
:lol I'm just saying, it's not like there's a huge discrepancy between the two sets of pics. So it's just surprising that someone could find one set decent and the other underwhelming.... :p

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think the physics is what makes this a next gen GTA clone, though the lighting is leagues better than the competition as well.

Real ragdoll & debris physics is going to bring a whole new dimension of fun to this genre...whether or not this game will do it right remains to be seen.

Optimistic said:
Oblivion doesn't look amazing. It looks very good, considering its scope, but I'm not blown away by it, and it certainly doesn't look that much better, technically, than Saint's Row, from the screens I've seen.

And btw, I don't give a shit about Saint's Row, have no interest in the game whatsoever, but will definitely be picking up Oblviion asap.

oh and p.s. resorting to petty insults is a sure indication that you are in fact the dumbarse. :lol

I....yeah...I'm not even goign to bother.

/post_oblivion_pic

/argument_insues

/people_laugh

AB 101

Banned
Looks like a bit of crap.

Textures blow.

Seems rather low poly.

Overall look just seems kind of washed out.

Not on my radar.

Anytime I click on anything "next-gen" my enthusiasm for it dwindles further. It all looks so terribly generic. And its not even that this games graphics are nothing to write home about. It looks so terribly used up. Give me Okami, Capcom, and the next gen loses my money for a bit longer.

Ruzbeh

Banned
trmas said:
Oblivion craps all over this. Hell, look at From Software and their mech game versus this tripe. There isn't even a comparison.
Well, the screens I've seem of Oblivion didn't even have shadows for characters. This does. Honestly, I would say Oblivion does look better than this because of the nice looking trees. :)

Zeo

Banned
Optimistic said:
san_andreas-07.jpg

A gazillion times better? Please. It looks better, yes, but it doesn't look good when you look at stuff like Ghost Recon. Halfassed effort.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The cars and explosions are shitty, but the character models and shadows are nice. I can't really say these screens as a whole are good or bad.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Iamthegamer said:
The cars and explosions are shitty, but the character models and shadows are nice. I can't really say these screens as a whole are good or bad.

Man the character models are pure CRAP!!! I'm tired of plastic people. I can't take this no more. What happened to the real people at GAF that liked the RE5 showing? Did the main character look like plastic? NO!!

If any game has plastic people in it I'm automatically calling the character models crap. NO MORE PLASTIC PEOPLE!!! That's my chat from here going forward with next-gen games.

Top Bottom