• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saint's Row images (IGN)

Lakitu

st5fu
Well considering the game has no loading?

Well, I for one wouldn't mind loading if to make the game run at a better performance and with better graphics.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
mckmas8808 said:
Man the character models are pure CRAP!!! I'm tired of plastic people. I can't take this no more. What happened to the real people at GAF that liked the RE5 showing? Did the main character look like plastic? NO!!

If any game has plastic people in it I'm automatically calling the character models crap. NO MORE PLASTIC PEOPLE!!! That's my chat from here going forward with next-gen games.
True, but an upgrade is an upgrade. I'd prefer non-plastic people, but we can' have it all. At least this:
saints-row-20050908113616485.jpg

is a step up from this

gta-san-andreas-a.jpg

Oni Jazar

Ok that developer's interview had some awsome footage. Finally we get some GOOD frames per sec!! Smooth as buddah baby.

Iamthegamer said:
True, but an upgrade is an upgrade. I'd prefer non-plastic people, but we can' have it all. At least this:
saints-row-20050908113616485.jpg

is a step up from this

gta-san-andreas-a.jpg
At least GTA is the original. Which is a stepup from all the poor knock offs.

Pimpwerx

I can't help but find this game attractive. Maybe I'll be embarassed when GTA next-gen is shown, but this game really does it for me. Meh.

One thing I hope for is someday having a game like this or GTA, but with the addition of some of the elements of Pursuit Force. I think it would be awesome to run vigilante missions, jumping onto the hood or roof of another car and having some crazy bumper-hanging shootout action through the middle of traffic. And, of course, the chance to ragdoll to hell when you hit another car. It would be pretty sweet IMO. The blending of the genres is here. :) PEACE.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pimpwerx said:
I can't help but find this game attractive. .

It is, THQ has done a bang up job with this. I can't wait to see the skyline from about 4-5 blocks away. Draw distance is gonna be hot

For a GTA clone, the game is a big upgrade in the graphics department, but I haven't read or heard anything (just listened to the developer interview) that this game is offering anything new or innovative than what we have played in GTA or Mercenaries already.

mckmas8808 said:
Man the character models are pure CRAP!!! I'm tired of plastic people. I can't take this no more. What happened to the real people at GAF that liked the RE5 showing? Did the main character look like plastic? NO!!

If any game has plastic people in it I'm automatically calling the character models crap. NO MORE PLASTIC PEOPLE!!! That's my chat from here going forward with next-gen games.

that wouldn't be the character modeling you'd be complaining about that would be the texturing and the use of just an overall specular map so that the entire model is a bit too shiny

FightyF

Banned
saints-row-20050908113621423.jpg

I don't know if anyone else noticed the bump mapped lines of paint on the road. Looks great.

Technically, this game looks excellent. Multitexturing on everything, and it ISN'T overdone. And despite all the multitexturing, nothing looks overly "plastic".

Good high res textures, excellent and consistant lighting, and the main character (that you design) is modelled well.

But the other characters don't look too hot, and almost compare to GTA:SA characters in poly count (they are better...but not that much...the multitexturing helps but low poly is still apparent). Some cars are missing reflections and I can understand old cars not featuring them...but it seems that most don't feature them.

Those are hopefully work in progress issues. But the game's art isn't that appealing.

Besides, in most movies and shots of this game, it's either that same time of day or night, and the shots feature the same block of the city.

The game sounds and looks (gameplay wise) better than any GTA clone out there so far. Plus, online play sounds like a real good addition.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can see the detailed models and hi-res textures, but something about this game looks horribly wrong. in another topic someone said it looked like the amateur cg you see in old commercials for local art institutes. which i think nails it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:
i can see the detailed models and hi-res textures, but something about this game looks horribly wrong. in another topic someone said it looked like the amateur cg you see in old commercials for local art institutes. which i think nails it.

ding ding

Dr_Cogent

Banned
olimario said:
It looks much better in motion.
Caps from the vid.

sr6au.jpg

Personally, I think this game looks pretty good. I think you guys are too nit picky.

It's first gen, next gen - meaning, these guys don't know how to really take advantage of the 360. Multithreaded game engines are not common. We've seen some amazing things with Ghost Recon, but you can bet that games are capable of even looking quite a bit better than that on the 360.

This is the dawn of a new era, where parallelism is going to be where we see performance gains, not a MHz race - because we can't go infinitely small.

The future is so bright. I gotta wear shades.

FightyF

Banned
And a large part of what makes it look like CG is it's lighting.

Which ties into something I said months ago before we had a glimpse of the next gen...we'll be seeing more "CG" looking games.

Multitexturing will give the appearance of unlimited geometry, pixel shadows will give the appearence of realistic shadows and lighting, and HDR effects will give it all a nice finish. Games will, more than ever look like CG.

http://forum.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=41647

I posted that back in March.

I was even right about the workflow heheh...but it's not like I'm a psychic, it was an obvious trend, but one that I felt most gamers didn't realize.

But I talked about physics based animations, which I didn't know where conceptualized in research papers years ago (and this isn't the first time, I thought I invented IBL, image based lighting, a long time ago, but apparently it was being researched since '98 :p).

I think I ruined the thread by choosing a bad topic...I so shouldn't have said Toy Story.

I just realized...I'm a genius. I'm a man of the future. I gotta copyright my ideas and stuff.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fight for Freeform said:
The game sounds and looks (gameplay wise) better than any GTA clone out there so far.

Has any of those clones been created on next gen hardware sir?

FightyF

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Has any of those clones been created on next gen hardware sir?

No. But it's not like the simple choice to make this control like an FPS in third person would have been impossible on other consoles.

Brute Force did it, for example.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The game looks good enough for a game of that genre and the physics, controls and lighting look like they will make a big difference to the gameplay. I'm keen to see something about the story though as I think it's Rockstar's sense of humor and attention to detail in the missions that sets GTA apart from it's peers. Saints Row has a decent voice cast at least but that doesn't mean anything: see Driv3r for details.

Top Bottom