• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saints Row Trailer

ripeavocado

Banned
Anyone else think Nina (woman on the right) might be a good character? She makes me think of Shaundi and Kenzie.

pVcmVGT.jpg

Is this from the old games?

They really should have made that obvious in the trailer. It's everyone's favourite part of these games.
I know the confusion for me came when they interviewed the actress after the trailer, if she had said she was one of the options for "the boss" it would have been fine but they just talked about the version of the boss that was on screen and it sounded like she WAS the boss. Apparently there are 8 voice options which is a nice amount.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I actually don't mind the "wokeness", but I really can't stand these types of juvenile characters. Redfall lost me because of this same reason.

Is the rebooted Dead Island 2 going to have these annoying characters, too?
I won't blame Deep Silver if they wanted a piece of the fortnite cake. This is business.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Everything about this sounds terrible.

fTPQsRs.png

Seals the deal then.

RIP saints row.

What annoys me the most, Saints Row was already diverse! Fuck they even created one of the best Asian-American characters in gaming with Johnny Gat!

So why the fuck are they blowing themselves about designing the new gang to be full of "diversity" when it looks like every stereotype currently in gaming??

It's become abundantly clear these people don't really want diversity. What they mean by "diversity" is their kind of "diversity" and only their kind of diversity. You can see that in the fact that every single game that has been taken over by or influenced by these lunatics looks exactly the same.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Soulja

FunkMiller

I think it’s come to a point where we just all have to accept that this is the video games bandwagon at the moment, and nothing is going to change that for a few years.

Everything rebooted must be framed through the prism of current cultural politics in Triple AAA games - no matter what the original concept of the game was.

I am 100% behind more diversity in gaming, but the fact they are too fucking lazy to create new IP, and instead just decide to alter old ones, is where I have a huge problem.

Lupingosei

Banned
I am 100% behind more diversity in gaming, but the fact they are too fucking lazy to create new IP, and instead just decide to alter old ones, is where I have a huge problem.
The original Saints Row games were always diverse, but not in a Tumblr / Twitter way.

The black characters were strong, the effeminate black geek stereotype that everybody is jumping on is hated by everyone outside the SJW circle.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Everything about this sounds terrible.

fTPQsRs.png

It's complete bullshit because they just released SR3 Remastered for PS5 and Series.

My reply to them: "We were able to have fun with your games back then, but this new direction is not something that we feel we even want to play today".

People bitch that R* keeps re-releasing GTA V, but I'd rather they keep re-releasing that game instead of releasing a woke GTA 6.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's because people
Don't know why they bring BTS up.🤷🏼‍♂️
They have a few catchy songs even their music is not my cup of tea.
I...that's the top or bottom pictures? Only BTS I know is the base transceiver station for Networking.

And yes I have Cisco CCNA certificate, yes I am that good.

M1chl

Bottom picture is BTS. Boygroup from South Korea.😉

BTS- Dynamite is a well known song.
Sorry, I am not familiar with them, thus it more about appearance, from my perspective.

I would not shit on music makers, just out of the principe, that I also sometimes try to make music : )

Ammogeddon

I think it’s come to a point where we just all have to accept that this is the video games bandwagon at the moment, and nothing is going to change that for a few years.

Everything rebooted must be framed through the prism of current cultural politics in Triple AAA games - no matter what the original concept of the game was.

It’s being done with movies too unfortunately.

It doesn’t even come across genuine, more like a mandated box ticking exercise to avoid some perceived Twitter backlash.

Is it confirmed there won't be character customization? If not, then fuck off. Plus, the old core cast was the star of the franchise and I'm not feeling those character designs. The gameplay looks good from the brief clip, more grounded than SR4 and SR3 but more diverse than SR2 (which was the last GTA carbon-copy Saints). Idk, the game looks like is trying to be too cool for its own sake to appeal to the younger audience but comes off as cringe to me.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I am still seething by the way

I laughed but to be fair BTS worked really hard to achieve their success whereas SJWs don't even know the meaning of hard work. Also those hairstyles and hair colors are part of the idol culture in East Asia, SJWs have appropriated it sadly (isn't that something they're supposedly against 🤷‍♂️).

Don't confuse this:
orEOwyPC_7060bo7uNU1XtA0TWeq0H6jgbC6OTPPhUk.jpg

with this:
main-qimg-916fe0adb8e43ba8bebc13c8d0d9f035

Also let's not forget that the most badass Saint, Johnny Gat, was East Asian, and the only character to get his own DLC expansion.

M1chl

I laughed but to be fair BTS worked really hard to achieve their success whereas SJWs don't even know the meaning of hard work. Also those hairstyles and hair colors are part of the idol culture in East Asia, SJWs have appropriated it sadly (isn't that something they're supposedly against 🤷‍♂️).

Don't confuse this:
orEOwyPC_7060bo7uNU1XtA0TWeq0H6jgbC6OTPPhUk.jpg

with this:
main-qimg-916fe0adb8e43ba8bebc13c8d0d9f035

Also let's not forget that the most badass Saint, Johnny Gat, was East Asian, and the only character to get his own DLC expansion.
I don't think that anyone confuses those two speciments. And to be frank I didn't know what BTS even is prior to this thread, I think it's just a simple "aesthetic" choice which team made.

And if i should talk about myself, my gripe about all of this, is not even with how those characters looks...

I'm really hoping she's just doing the voice for the female Boss. I mean, i'll still play it, I've wanted a new Saints for ages but that is a rather woke/diverse cast. Which on is own is fine but....the design for the Boss in the trailer sucks. What is with that shitty hairstyle invading EVERYTHING. Even fucking He-man ffs!
I think that all too common hairstyle represents “strong female” in the West or something. Want to make a strong female? Slap on that hairstyle and there you go. Dye it blue or another unnatural color to make it even more trendy.

Last edited:

Kadve

This "Woke" trend really needs to stop. And judging by those YouTube downvotes we might finally be on the right track.

I mean, i understand that the superhero business wasn't for everyone and that you cant really go back to making another GTA clone. But could you at least add something that makes it feel like Saints Row?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The actual gameplay will have to be amazing as this look like yet more Millennials playing gangsters garbage and loses the identity that Saints row 1 and 2 had
Realistically speaking the old cast were Millennials and Gen X'ers.
This seems more like Gen Z.
Unless you think those characters look like they was in their late 30's?

Anyway hard pass, characters look like a bunch of dweebs.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't the original publisher lose rights by going out of business or something, and then it was sold to someone else?
Exactly! Ironically THQ was reborn under the THQ Nordic name after going out of business. Here is the thing: Volition is under Deep Siver, Deep Silver is under Kock Media and Koch Media is under the Embracer Group which used to be called Nordic Games Publishing AB and THQ Nordic AB. This means that Saints Row is technically under THQ again.

What also many people forget is that Volition is only consisting of roughly 230 people. The devs behind GTA consist of almost three times as many people. The devs behind Watch Dogs consist of over 3500 (now they are working on several games and are split up into to several teams). Volition also has a much smaller budget than the other two. This plays a major role in their output. They already wasted their bullets last gen for Agents of Mayhem. There were no resources to make both Saints Row 5 and Agents of Mayhem and they decided to do the later. The last Saint's Row game was in 2013 (unless you count Gat out of Hell, but that's an add-on to SR4), so making a reboot makes sense to attract new customers. Reboots happen all the time, but not always because the series was failing commercially and critically (neither was the case for Saints Row), but also often because the last release was a long time ago. Time means relevance, relevance means prestige, prestige means name recognition which then can be marketed and lead to good sales.

Top Bottom