• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue 3 Prototype Screenshot

Guys... guys... this game hasn't been in development that long and it's coming out December 2017 at the earliest. It's okay not to judge the game based on one shitty screenshot from Twitter.

Vinter

Looks interesting if anything. Hard to really draw conclusions from that image alone. Its actually the first game I ever backed on Kickstarter though, so I am pretty excited nonetheless.

Skrams

Yeah, that's what I was feeling.

Kind of like "Zelda.. but in unreal engine!"

Yeah, I got that feeling too.

It also kind of strikes me as pre 360 or some of that PS2 era bullshot kind of stuff. I'm not saying this is a bullshot, but it has that look and feel of those times.

BadAss2961

You guys remember we had to kickstart this, right? It's not going to be the showcase it was back on Dreamcast.

It's a nice pic. This game is going to be all about atmosphere. A year ago we were willing to accept the same engine from back in the day.

gelf

Looks good enough for me. I'd have been happy with zero visual upgrade over an upressed Dreamcast game mind you.

Spaghetti

Added a handy guide to prototype screens to the OP.

Really though, for a prototype? Looks fine. They're building an atmosphere.

Ray Down

Banned
You guys remember we had to kickstart this, right? It's not going to be the showcase it was back on Dreamcast.

It's a nice pic. This game is going to be all about atmosphere. A year ago we were willing to accept the same engine from back in the day.

That and its still a prototype so it not gonna look the best.

Rymuth

Is it just me or is Ryo a lot taller than before? He's really towering over Shenhua there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Comparing the two it does appear to be quite a difference.
This this this this!

I know I should be excited but I couldn't help but be thrown off by how much shorter Shenhua is compared to Ryo. o_O

Z3M0G

Looks perfect!

Is there a plan to recap the events of the previous games? I never finished the 2nd one...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's still early days but that looks like a cutscene from the original Age of Empires.

Still, in Suzuki we trust.

Guys... guys... this game hasn't been in development that long and it's coming out December 2017 at the earliest. It's okay not to judge the game based on one shitty screenshot from Twitter.

It's all we got, the thread can't be one page. People are expecting to get some hints as to the final art direction. For reference, this is the first prototype screenshot we got of Broken Age
and this from Pillars of Eternity,

In my case, I am not judging if the shaders are current gen, but if the art direction is what we thought it would be.

Piers

It's all we got, the thread can't be one page. People are expecting to get some hints as to the final art direction. For reference, this is the first prototype screenshot we got of Broken Age

and this from Pillars of Eternity,

In my case, I am not judging if the shaders are current gen, but if the art direction is what we thought it would be.

This. Graphics, and particularly art direction, get finalised at an early stage. I don't understand the line of thinking that visuals noticeably improve nearer release.

Shenmue

Banned
Some of the comments in here are embarrassing. Sheesh.

Yup.

But what are you gonna do. This game is the target of a lot of hate. Xbox fanboys, Nintendo fanboys, crowd funding haters, people who are mad this game got more funding than their favorite crowd funded project, the media, GB's Jeff and the creepy people who just parrot his opinions, the list goes on and on...

I don't know what some people are smoking but this screenshot is actually ...quite normal.

Plenty of effects are not final and it probably isn't the final models either.

For fans , it's a nice take in term of what to expect in term of setting and that is what we were looking to see ..

So ..everything's fine i guess.

benzy

Looks fine to me IQ aside and Shenhua's model. They still have 2 more years of dev time.

Is it just me or is Ryo a lot taller than before? He's really towering over Shenhua there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Comparing the two it does appear to be quite a difference.

I think the Shenhua model in S3 is just too short. Her model proportion looks weird in general, including the clothes. Ryo's Jacket looks a lot better than the paper mache he had on before though.

xion4360

This. Graphics, and particularly art direction, get finalised at an early stage. I don't understand the line of thinking that visuals noticeably improve nearer release.

Art direction yes (usually) but graphics are a technical aspect of games that are going to be worked on throughout and particularly finalized near the end polish stages. Poor performance, bad textures, low resolution ect .. You often see bullshots early on and that may cause people to believe the game was downgraded but thats a different story.

It looks really really good, but there's this weird thing and I can't put my finger on as to why, but the characters look like they're just...floating there or are planted into the scene rather than firmly standing on the ground.

I'm sure it'll look amazing in the final version and in motion.

Yeah I get that feeling too especially from Ryo. its probably because of how light colored his shoes are compared to the jeans and the ground shadow.

It looks really really good, but there's this weird thing and I can't put my finger on as to why, but the characters look like they're just...floating there or are planted into the scene rather than firmly standing on the ground.

I'm sure it'll look amazing in the final version and in motion.

Byshop

Maybe he'll find some sailors there...

But seriously, I'm excited. I'm trying to ignore most of the info on this since I know it'll be a long time still before we have anything playable but this is awesome.

Spaghetti

It's important to note that they're currently building the game world to the appropriate size so as it isn't too big or too small (see October's KS update).

Yu Suzuki said in his November presentation in China that they haven't captured the feel of Guilin yet. At a guess, they're making the world mostly out of prefab parts until they finalise the size, then they're going back and creating/altering the assets to fit the desired art design. It's more efficient than trying to complete the art design before game world and systems are complete.

See the example in the OP of the Street Fighter 4 prototype. More or less the same principle. Broken Age and Pillars of Eternity are very different types of games, and are not really an applicable comparison.

If you want to see the art design for Shenmue 3, I suggest checking out this thread on the Shenmue Dojo full of concept art.

Exactly. I doubt most fans who backed it were looking for AAA graphics. Besides, this is a PROTOTYPE.

Chase17

Is there a release window for this game yet? First page I joked about 2019 but I actually have no idea. Can't be before 2018 right?

Top Bottom