• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue 3 Prototype Screenshot

MrGerbils

What are the chances we see an HD collection of the first two games before this releases?

I never played these back in the day and would love the opportunity to experience the first two games before this one comes out.

I know they're out there but I'm not willing to pay those kinds of prices.

IMO the games don't really hold up to the test of time. So to go back and play them without any nostalgia to help you along would be super rough.

What are the chances we see an HD collection of the first two games before this releases?

I never played these back in the day and would love the opportunity to experience the first two games before this one comes out.

I know they're out there but I'm not willing to pay those kinds of prices.

There's been talk of a Shenmue HD rerelease for a while. I'd say it depends on the amount of work required. At the very least, the game would need an updated control scheme since it wasn't designed with twin sticks in mind. It also depends on the state of the source files and textures. Shenmue most likely shipped with textures that were compressed and lower quality than the ones that Sega had at their offices. If they still have those files -- and judging by other Sega titles it's likely that they don't -- I'd say a HD remake is quite likely.

It all comes down to marketing and potential return on investment. Obviously, the best time Sega could have released HD ports was immediately after Yu Suzuki got on stage and asked us for money. They may have not done it then out of respect for Suzuki since that might divert money away from the Kickstarter campaign. So when would be a good time to release it? Most likely leading up to the release when the game looks like it's approaching a completed state where people with their heads up their asses are less likely to nit-pick obvious prototype material.

Also, don't listen to people who say the game doesn't hold up. It has issues, specifically with respect to tank controls and voice acting, but if you like PC adventure titles, eastern mysticism, classic martial arts cinema, Virtua Fighter, and realistic open worlds you'll have a great time.

Erevador

IMO the games don't really hold up to the test of time. So to go back and play them without any nostalgia to help you along would be super rough.
I don't agree with that at all. I recently introduced two friends to Shenmue and they fell in love with it. Both talked about how there was nothing like it since, and loved the great sense of place, and the extreme density of content.

I think Shenmue holds up beautifully, but you have to get past the first couple awkward hours in which you adjust to the unique control scheme and gameplay style. The game works its hypnotic magic, but it needs a little time to do so.

Spaghetti

I don't agree that the games aged badly either.

Issues like tank controls and the spotty translation/bad yet endearing voice acting were rough even in 1999, but the things the game goes well like characters, world building, music, gameplay variety, and combat are still really good and in some cases have yet to be beaten.

I don't agree that the games aged badly either.

Issues like tank controls and the spotty translation/bad yet endearing voice acting were rough even in 1999, but the things the game goes well like characters, world building, music, gameplay variety, and combat are still really good and in some cases have yet to be beaten.
Yep.

Apart from the controls (that take like 10 minutes tops to adjust to) and the voice acting the games have aged amazingly well. No game even today has better atmosphere than both Shenmue games. The amount of detail crammed into the games is also still extremely impressive. They're timeless masterpieces.

Spaghetti

Yep.

Apart from the controls (that take like 10 minutes tops to adjust to) and the voice acting the games have aged amazingly well. No game even today has better atmosphere than both Shenmue games. The amount of detail crammed into the games is also still extremely impressive. They're timeless masterpieces.
Yeah. For all the talk I heard about how good The Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider were at world building last year, I still don't think people give Shenmue it's due for making the world feel like it existed long before the player picked up the pad for the first time.

StereoVsn

I think the graphics look more then fine for the budget. Art style is great and as good as PS3/slightly better at decent framerate is all we can ask considering the budget.

StereoVsn

There's been talk of a Shenmue HD rerelease for a while. I'd say it depends on the amount of work required. At the very least, the game would need an updated control scheme since it wasn't designed with twin sticks in mind. It also depends on the state of the source files and textures. Shenmue most likely shipped with textures that were compressed and lower quality than the ones that Sega had at their offices. If they still have those files -- and judging by other Sega titles it's likely that they don't -- I'd say a HD remake is quite likely.

It all comes down to marketing and potential return on investment. Obviously, the best time Sega could have released HD ports was immediately after Yu Suzuki got on stage and asked us for money. They may have not done it then out of respect for Suzuki since that might divert money away from the Kickstarter campaign. So when would be a good time to release it? Most likely leading up to the release when the game looks like it's approaching a completed state where people with their heads up their asses are less likely to nit-pick obvious prototype material.

Also, don't listen to people who say the game doesn't hold up. It has issues, specifically with respect to tank controls and voice acting, but if you like PC adventure titles, eastern mysticism, classic martial arts cinema, Virtua Fighter, and realistic open worlds you'll have a great time.

Agree 100% with this post. Shenmue holds up really well even now, control quibbles aside. It's a slow, even methodical game that does exploration and whole "live-in" world incredibly well. Heck, even fighting was greatly done more akin to a fighting game vs beat'm up or action.

For HD re-release, it should be either late summer/early fall this year or go into next year, otherwise it would get buried in the fall rush. However, this is Sega and I don't think Shenmue 1&2 HD is in the cards :(.

SZips

This. Graphics, and particularly art direction, get finalised at an early stage. I don't understand the line of thinking that visuals noticeably improve nearer release.

Oh my, this is just adorable. Thank you for the laugh, I needed it.

OT: I'm actually surprised they showed off anything this early on in development. Most devs wouldn't even think of doing that.

CD'S BAR

I want to say it's the 'Infiltrator' UE4 demo but my memory might be failing me.

thanks. figured it was a demo.

not sure what people were expecting from this game. i think it looks serviceable even if it didn't improve any from it's current state. i'd rather they spend more of the budget on content.

Yep... That's unreal 4 alright. The environments just look so damn stock, hope the full game looks different. Would even prefer straight up dreamcast graphics to this. Also ditto on the comparisons to those awful "nintendo ip but in unreal" videos.

Spaghetti

Am I the only one who wished Shenmue III looked like it was on Dreamcast? I want those graphics, in HD
It'd be probably just as difficult to recreate those graphics as it is to make what they're aiming for now. It won't be like making a faux 8-bit/16-bit or low poly PS1 style game.

While I'm sure this is in the early stages, people calling the graphics amazing . . . lol.

First few months of development plus it's very small cost (compared to AAA games), I think anyone that's worth their salt would agree that this looks bloody brilliant.

So you're telling me you look at this screenshot and you immediately think the game will be bad?

I feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes.

I'm on board with that. I think people expect all games now to at least look like the Witcher 3 or they say it looks bad. I'm guessing these sort of people are under the age of 20 and don't know any better.

I understand your point about the atmosphere. It is just with so many games out there, especially Kickstarter, people expect visually pleasing screens of the product, even in prototype.
Uh, these are visually pleasing. Just because you have different (perhaps unrealistic) expectations doesn't mean most people do.

What are you basing any of this on? Do you have any facts to back up this kind of claim?

Spaghetti

I don't buy the argument that you need nostalgia to enjoy the originals. There were plenty of first timers who turned up during the Kickstarter, plus that great Guardian article from a year or two ago which detailed the journalist really finding affinity for this almost one of a kind game.

There's also that Youtuber BoneFoot, who did an extended first play session and really got into it.

The key to liking Shenmue is enjoying how unique it is in creating an atmosphere and making a world feel lived in, then finding other aspects to enjoy like the story/characters, gameplay variety, combat, etc. It isn't a game you can pick up for 15 minutes of gratification, you need a few hours and to really get immersed.

And I know I'm repeating myself here, but even then, if you like Shenmue on paper but have a problem with the pacing and lack of direction, Shenmue II is still worth trying out because of how it streamlines its opening hours.

These "Every game has to be a graphical showcase" people are a cancer on gaming.

and this is coming from someone that thinks this whole thing is a hasbeen director trying to recapture his former glory on the backs of peoples nostlagia.

Id love to see where you think $6 million is going to take you in current gen AAA development, doubly so when starting with a new company, dev team and no real publisher backing.

It looks fine. staph.

flattie

Aside from Ryo looking like a giant next to Shenhua, I'm loving the direction the visuals are heading in.

So so good seeing this game come to life.

Guys, don't read too much into these shots, this is from a prototype pre-alpha build, the game isn't even going to be finished until 2017.

It's always good to get some news on the progress, but bear in mind this is very early days.

Cross posting since my thread has crashed and burned.

Quick question, I see a few users here with Shenmue defence force avatars, how do I get one of those?

I love both games, I would recommend them to someone in a heartbeat, I play both each year.

I suck at photo manipulation, so that's not really going to work for me. I would just like my current avatar be modified to include a Shenmue defence force banner.

Spaghetti

Details from Cedric Biscay from the press conference, courtesy of Yokosuka at the Shenmue Dojo-

- From 10:42 (about Suzuki as guest)
"We will be fortunate to get pictures and video of Shenmue III as worldwide exclusivity during the event. He will held a conference and a signing session."

- From 41:41 (screenshots release)
"As I said you before, there will normally be a teaser in MAGIC. For sure, a lot of new things will be shown. Today we wanted to expose you a mini-preview with 3 pictures. It's not a big deal but I only want to demonstrate that the development is progressing. It's WIP, we're at a very early stage of the production so obviously shenmue III is not going to look like that in the final version but considering what I've said, it's not bad at all."

"That aren't pictures specifically made for the conference, I only ask Yu to send me screenshots and he did so with no problem. It's a little taste of what we can show for MAGIC and I think we'll get a pretty exceptional conference for all gaming lovers."

So to recap:

• There will be video and pictures at MAGIC Monaco next month.
  • Obviously still early work and will not look like this at final.
  • Shots were not specifically created for the conference, so there's no telling how current the build is.

I don't buy the argument that you need nostalgia to enjoy the originals. There were plenty of first timers who turned up during the Kickstarter, plus that great Guardian article from a year or two ago which detailed the journalist really finding affinity for this almost one of a kind game.

There's also that Youtuber BoneFoot, who did an extended first play session and really got into it.

The key to liking Shenmue is enjoying how unique it is in creating an atmosphere and making a world feel lived in, then finding other aspects to enjoy like the story/characters, gameplay variety, combat, etc. It isn't a game you can pick up for 15 minutes of gratification, you need a few hours and to really get immersed.

And I know I'm repeating myself here, but even then, if you like Shenmue on paper but have a problem with the pacing and lack of direction, Shenmue II is still worth trying out because of how it streamlines its opening hours.

I'd like to add that if you follow Spaghetti's advice and skip straight to Shenmue 2, he previously wrote an incredibly helpful summary of the games so you can get up to speed.

These "Every game has to be a graphical showcase" people are a cancer on gaming.

Exactly. There's nothing about graphics other than framerate (if that qualifies) that has any bearing on whether or not a game is enjoyable in my opinion. It's that sort of thinking that balloons budgets and makes every title a rehash of previously successful ideas.

Quick question, I see a few users here with Shenmue defence force avatars, how do I get one of those?

I love both games, I would recommend them to someone in a heartbeat, I play both each year.

I suck at photo manipulation, so that's not really going to work for me. I would just like my current avatar be modified to include a Shenmue defence force banner.

You can find a template here. What I did was take the avatar I wanted, make sure it was sized properly and overlayed it in the GIMP.

Ryo really needs a new jacket.

No way man. It's part of his sweet 80s style.

Spaghetti

The community thread should help.

Having gone back to Shenmue 2 after quite a few years for my YT channel, I can honestly say it holds up with some problems. The controls are the biggest for me. They're not ungodly but I won't miss the control scheme if a HD collection is made and they're changed. The VO is hilarious at times but I find it to be a part of Shenmues charm. For me, the fighting still controls well.

Spaghetti

I'd like to add that if you follow Spaghetti's advice and skip straight to Shenmue 2, he previously wrote an incredibly helpful summary of the games so you can get up to speed.

Exactly. There's nothing about graphics other than framerate (if that qualifies) that has any bearing on whether or not a game is enjoyable in my opinion. It's that sort of thinking that balloons budgets and makes every title a rehash of previously successful ideas.

You can find a template here. What I did was take the avatar I wanted, make sure it was sized properly and overlayed it in the GIMP.

No way man. It's part of his sweet 80s style.
My recap of the series is going to be in the OT for Shenmue 3. For real.

ajim

Details from Cedric Biscay from the press conference, courtesy of Yokosuka at the Shenmue Dojo-

So to recap:

• Shots were not specifically created for the conference, so there's no telling how current the build is.

Beautiful news! Thanks for the update spag!

Spaghetti

Interesting to note on Twitter Cedric has had to remind people constantly how early in development the game is.

It's a little bit depressing how a lot of people don't recognise how creative ventures can take time to put together. I guess that's just a consequence of consuming the finished media and not seeing much, if any, of the years of hard work before it.

Even MGSV, which got shown three years before it released, was still two years into development on reveal, let alone under six months like Shenmue 3 is. I mean, the last significant look at the game in October/November they were still using stock UE4 environments for engine tests, and doing day/night cycle experiments on what little they did have. I have to wonder who in this thread has been keeping up, and who just stumbled in expecting a game six months from release.

So to recap:

YESSSSS!

I think the graphics look more then fine for the budget. Art style is great and as good as PS3/slightly better at decent framerate is all we can ask considering the budget.

This is exactly where I am at. If the game ends up looking like that, I will be totally happy with it assuming it performs well.

Top Bottom