• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 30th Anniversary details leaked by credible Nintendo leaker Zippo

VAVA Mk2

in 2021 i now expect the internet to straight up end up memeing microsoft into actually buying sega and announcing it on a wednesday
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Kholinar

Banned
Ok, but, why not both? SEGA already established that Classic and Modern are separate now, why not use that to their advantage and have a Mania 2 in the works AND a new 3D game? Why go back to DIMPS when their track record has been absolute trash?
Well, for one, Modern has more potential in 2D. Bigger cast of potentially more playable characters, voice acting, narratives unfettered from the limitations of mute protagonists, ability to extract elements from the main canon such as stages, lore, abilities, etc.

I'm sure SEGA is trying to force a 2D rebrand in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. for their new 2D game.

YCoCg

Well, for one, Modern has more potential in 2D. Bigger cast of potentially more playable characters, voice acting, narratives unfettered from the limitations of mute protagonists, ability to extract elements from the main canon such as stages, lore, abilities, etc.
Some of that is what people hated about Modern Sonic though? As for characters Mania literally dug out two forgotten characters and gave them unique playing styles. And again, why DIMPS???

OnionSnake

Banned

I'm sure SEGA is trying to force a 2D rebrand in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. for their new 2D game.
Didn't they kind of try that with Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

Lmao classic fans will make my brain necrotic I swear. The last 2D Sonic game developed by Sonic Team was 25 years ago. Most fans of the franchise right now grew up with the 3D era and would rather see that thrive and improve than just hand over the reigns to some fucking fan. Do GAFers actually believe the future of the franchise is 2D? When nearly all of Sonic's contemporaries have successfully made the transition to 3D?
I don't like hearing the divisiveness from Sonic fans either. Sonic Mania was great but we really are overdue for a good 3D Sonic game like the original Sonic Adventure again. The hybrid Classic/Modern gameplay style for each new title just results in an average game at best. Keep 2D and 3D fully separated like the rumor implies, like it should have always been post-Generations.

Kholinar

Banned
Some of that is what people hated about Modern Sonic though? As for characters Mania literally dug out two forgotten characters and gave them unique playing styles. And again, why DIMPS???
The problem with Sonic isn't the existence of these elements, it's the implementation of them. If SEGA succeeds on these fronts, it will elevate the series far more than just doing another Mania. Like, yeah, some people find Sonic's friends annoying and flat, but the best decision here I feel like is to make them likeable again, not just play safe and strip them of all personality, or just outright preclude them from the games altogether.

Also, I don't know if you haven't realised, but Dimps was only a hunch, not part of the leak itself. And who knows if Dimps were the real problem with their games; it might've been another Big Red Button situation which, if you didn't know, had ex-Naughty Dog developers in there, yet Sonic Boom flopped anyway due to SEGA oversight.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Lmao classic fans will make my brain necrotic I swear. The last 2D Sonic game developed by Sonic Team was 25 years ago. Most fans of the franchise right now grew up with the 3D era and would rather see that thrive and improve than just hand over the reigns to some fucking fan. Do GAFers actually believe the future of the franchise is 2D? When nearly all of Sonic's contemporaries have successfully made the transition to 3D?

So the Sonic franchise should be held hostage by modern Sonic fans nostalgia for shitty 3D sonic games forever?

3D for the sake of 3D even if it completely SUCKS? What is this 1996? The 2D games have a solid foundation, they aren't complete garbage SO WHAT if a fan made it....ITS GREAT

I have zero hope in a great 3D Sonic game because it has never happened.....shit like adventure and generations are just halfway decent and overrated to hell and back because the expectations for 3D Sonic are so fucking low that a 5/10 game is "whoaaa great job Sonic you aren't falling off the map maybe if we make games like this 10x it will randomly get better" its fucking dumb

JimboJones

So the Sonic franchise should be held hostage by modern Sonic fans nostalgia for shitty 3D sonic games forever?

3D for the sake of 3D even if it completely SUCKS? What is this 1996? The 2D games have a solid foundation, they aren't complete garbage SO WHAT if a fan made it....ITS GREAT

I have zero hope in a great 3D Sonic game because it has never happened.....shit like adventure and generations are just halfway decent and overrated to hell and back because the expectations for 3D Sonic are so fucking low that a 5/10 game is "whoaaa great job Sonic you aren't falling off the map maybe if we make games like this 10x it will randomly get better" its fucking dumb
But but VOICE ACTING!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

tenor.gif

kinda weird logic you got there but alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

SegaShack

I love how their most successful Sonic game in years is a one off thing, and they are back to making games no one wants.

I'm a huge Sonic fan (mostly of the classic games). Sega is too arogant to admit that the fans who they hired for Mania made a better Sonic game than they can.

If they abandon the fans and make bad 2d and 3d games like Forces and Sonic 4, I have no words.

They clearly refuse to understand what people want.

Kholinar

Banned
Didn't they kind of try that with Sonic the Hedgehog 4?
Haha, yup. Sonic 4 EP 2 was good IMO.

To be held hostage is to be incapacitated against your will. The majority of Sonic fans crave 3D, and SEGA themselves want 3D. Only the hopeless retro fans who continue to cling to the franchise like a malignant tumour want 2D to be the main focus despite the fact that it would limit the potential of the series.

And just because 3D Sonic hasn’t met your standards now doesn’t mean it won’t ever. Management has changed completely, the entire development team has changed since the last game, and even the voice actors are getting the boot. Stop shackling the series and demanding it play safe because of past failures; allowing the series to emerge past its shortcomings will both be worthy of respect and will ultimately steer the franchise further than simply returning to 2D wholesale.

You want Sonic to stand with Mario again? 3D is the way.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Sonic 4 EP 2 was good IMO
Man, come on, it was a tad improvement over EP 1 but it was still trash. The music alone was throw up worthy, and that's the issue, that's what SEGA thinks Classic Sonic is, where as the Tee Lopes put out some banging remixes and new music that took proper inspiration from the classic era.

homelol

Neo Member

To be held hostage is to be incapacitated against your will. The majority of Sonic fans crave 3D, and SEGA themselves want 3D. Only the hopeless retro fans who continue to cling to the franchise like a malignant tumour want 2D to be the main focus despite the fact that it would limit the potential of the series.

And just because 3D Sonic hasn’t met your standards now doesn’t mean it won’t ever. Management has changed completely, the entire development team has changed since the last game, and even the voice actors are getting the boot. Stop shackling the series and demanding it play safe because of past failures; allowing the series to emerge past its shortcomings will both be worthy of respect and will ultimately steer the franchise further than simply returning to 2D wholesale.

waFvahm_d.webp

sonic 4 wow

SegaShack

This post xD. So ridiculous. Count Sega's success with reinventing Sonic. How many times has that worked out for them.

They've redone play styles nearly every single game for 20 years now and its such a cluster.

They actually release a successful game, which plays like the Sonic games everyone loved in the first place (Mania), and still want to make their garbage 3d games that never did well in the first place.

Don't tell people who love Sonic since it started that they are stuck in the past.

Do you wish Streets of Rage 4 and Megaman 10 were 3D games so the series werent "held back"? Makes no sense to me. If someone wants a different game than Sonic, they should play a different game. Theres a billion crappy 3D games to choose from.

I was at the party for Sonic's 25th Anniversary where they revealed both Mania and Forces that day. Look how the 2D Sonic game everyone wanted did great, and Forces which was the big budget Sega of Japan game was a massive failure.

Sega doesn't understand Sonic, 2017 should have shown them the path forward, but their arrogance makes them think that making another Forces, Unleashed, Secret Rings, Lost World, or Sonic and the Black Knight game must be their key to success.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
3d games that never did well in the first place.
I mean Adventure did 2.5 Million on a console that sold 9 million. That's very decent. Critically it did very well too.

Kholinar

Banned
This post xD. So ridiculous. Count Sega's success with reinventing Sonic. How many times has that worked out for them.

They've redone play styles nearly every single game for 20 years now and its such a cluster.

They actually release a successful game, which plays like the Sonic games everyone loved in the first place (Mania), and still want to make their garbage 3d games that never did well in the first place.

Don't tell people who love Sonic since it started that they are stuck in the past.

Do you wish Streets of Rage 4 and Megaman 10 were 3D games so the series werent "held back"? Makes no sense to me. If someone wants a different game than Sonic, they should play a different game. Theres a billion crappy 3D games to choose from.

I was at the party for Sonic's 25th Anniversary where they revealed both Mania and Forces that day. Look how the 2D Sonic game everyone wanted did great, and Forces which was the big budget Sega of Japan game was a massive failure.

Sega doesn't understand Sonic, 2017 should have shown them the path forward, but their arrogance makes them think that making another Forces, Unleashed, Secret Rings, Lost World, or Sonic and the Black Knight game must be their key to success.
There hasn’t been a reinvention of this scale ever. Management, voice cast, writers, and development team were all changed. All of them.

And I’m sorry, but if you still call yourself a Sonic fan despite hating the output of games for the past 20+ years, then you’re not a Sonic fan. It’s like calling yourself a Dragon Ball fan but dislike everything the series has to offer since Z began.

The So4 allegory is clearly a false equivalence seeing as that franchise is tailored specifically to appeal to a niche market. SEGA clearly wants Sonic to be a household name, and the end with the most potential to serve them is full 3D. Do you believe Mario would be as popular as it is right now if it stuck to 2D? He would be as popular as Pac-Man maybe, but that’s about it. Classic fans can’t see the forest for the trees, ffs.

cireza

Mine plus most of the reviews and metacritic, nothing more like you say.
Nobody cares about metacritic. Kids and teens have the games bought for them by their parents. They are fun games, not as expensive as Mario.

Eventually, parents will look at the rating on amazon before buying, and of course the price.

Forces has 5/5
Team Racing 5/5
Mania 4.5/5, which is below the two other games, damn !

All these games were released at 40$ maximum, and can often be bought for less than 30$. Forces and Team Racing have a slightly better rating than Mania, which still has a very good rating. Forces and Team Racing are great value for your bucks, and they are very well designed for a younger audience.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Sonic Generations was the last Sonic game I enjoyed. I'd be up for more like that but if they're gonna make shit instead then just let it die.

Fox Mulder

Nintendo does fine having different Mario games going at the same time with 2D and 3D, but Sega sucks at it. This dumb lazy company still hasn’t resolved the Sonic 3 issues because they don’t care.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Oh noes I am stuck in the wall, game is shite !

hqdefault.jpg

Oh noes I am flying, game is shite !

Sonic2_ARZ_BossEndBug.png

Oh noes game crashes when I destroy this enemy, game is shite !
Rexon_Crash_1.png

Sonic 2 WOW
come on now, you know exactly that Sonic 4 is fundamentally broken in its physics. Classic Sonic may give you a bug here and there, but that's not comparable to a game that just barely works.

me0wish

I probably should have asked this way earlier, but is this guy known?
Known to be full of shit. He came out of no where and was spewing nonsense, people took him for a leaker, getting out of their way to defend this goon, even after the fact that he was proven wrong multiple times. If this guy is leaking, it gotta be from his ass.

Sure he got a couple of "guesses" correct before, but at this rate, I could become a "leaker" as well.

Last edited:

cireza

come on now, you know exactly that Sonic 4 is fundamentally broken in its physics. Classic Sonic may give you a bug here and there, but that's not comparable to a game that just barely works.
It is not broken, it is different.

Anything that is not Sonic 2 physics is broken to you people. Sonic Rush plays nothing like Sonic 2 or 3, still the game certainly isn't broken. This applies to Sonic Generations 3DS and Sonic Forces etc...

ksdixon

Modern Sonic will be the focus for the franchise going forward in both 2D and 3D games. Mania was apparently a one-off thing (with Classic Sonic being described as "old hat"), and fans of the classic era should look to fangames for further installments, such as Sonic Mania Megamix, Sonic Galactic, Sonic Roboblast 2, Sonic 2 HD, etc.
Absolute fucking idiots.

Miles708

Known to be full of shit. He came out of no where and was spewing nonsense, people took him for a leaker, getting out of their way to defend this goon, even after the fact that he was proven wrong multiple times. If this guy is leaking, it gotta be from his ass.

Sure he got a couple of "guesses" correct before, but at this rate, I could become a "leaker" as well.
Welp, thanks man.
Will keep my expectations in check.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Anything that is not Sonic 2 physics is broken to you people.
Well duh, it's called "Sonic 4" not "New Sonic Rush", obviously you expect it to be like the old games. The game plays like ass, physics feel like crap, graphics are shit. It wants to be a sequel of the old games but ends up being a poor rehash mixed with new (and worse) physics. Sonic Rush played better too.
M6OuR.gif

SegaShack

There hasn’t been a reinvention of this scale ever. Management, voice cast, writers, and development team were all changed. All of them.

And I’m sorry, but if you still call yourself a Sonic fan despite hating the output of games for the past 20+ years, then you’re not a Sonic fan. It’s like calling yourself a Dragon Ball fan but dislike everything the series has to offer since Z began.

The So4 allegory is clearly a false equivalence seeing as that franchise is tailored specifically to appeal to a niche market. SEGA clearly wants Sonic to be a household name, and the end with the most potential to serve them is full 3D. Do you believe Mario would be as popular as it is right now if it stuck to 2D? He would be as popular as Pac-Man maybe, but that’s about it. Classic fans can’t see the forest for the trees, ffs.
I didn't hate all the output, some was decent such as Colors. Generations was very good in both 3D and 2D. Lost World was OK.

The 3D Sonic games post adventure were not making Sonic any more popular. People weren't lining up to buy these titles. No one cared about them, gamers and kids had both moved on.

People are not "dying" to see what the next big 3D Sonic game is, the series' reputation was already completely ruined by the late 2000s.

So yes, if you actually want the Sonic series to survive it makes sense to have successful games.

Furthermore, many people ONLY like Sonic Adventure and not the classic games or new games, but it doesn't mean they aren't "real fans".

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to love every entry. Star Wars is a great example. There are three very different trilogies and it would be idiotic to expect someone to love all three.

Being a fan means you want a series to be at its best, so I'd say having a critical eye is a big part of it.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I mean look up literally anything about sales and scores for games such as:

Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Boom
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces

The series became a joke, especially at the end of the PS2/Xbox generation. The Wii games and the recent "Forces" game are some of the worst reviewed and worst
selling games in the series' history.

Yes there were the successes here and there with Colors and Generations, but instead of building off what made these games successful, Sega scraps their gameplay style every single entry to make something new.

Last edited:

cireza

I mean look up literally anything about sales and scores for games such as:

Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Boom
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces

The series became a joke, especially at the end of the PS2/Xbox generation. The Wii games and the recent "Forces" game are some of the worst reviewed and worst
selling games in the series' history.

Yes there were the successes here and there with Colors and Generations, but instead of building off what made these games successful, Sega scraps their gameplay style every single entry to make something new.
Scores are irrelevant.

Pretty sure that Heroes, Secret Rings, Colours, Generations and Unleashed made very good sales numbers, and I suppose it is also the case for the other games even though we don't really have precise numbers. Rush and Rush Adventure probably too.

A character like Sonic could not be so popular if all games were selling like shit, like many people here want us to believe.

Sonic games were exclusive to SEGA consoles before, both Sonic Adventure games weren't crazy in terms of sales, being exclusive to a poor selling console.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Scores are irrelevant.

Pretty sure that Heroes, Secret Rings, Colours, Generations and Unleashed made very good sales numbers, and I suppose it is also the case for the other games even though we don't really have precise numbers. Rush and Rush Adventure probably too.

A character like Sonic could not be so popular if all games were selling like shit, like many people here want us to believe.

Sonic games were exclusive to SEGA consoles before, both Sonic Adventure games weren't crazy in terms of sales, being exclusive to a poor selling console.
I mean those Disney direct to video sequels got terrible reviews but sold well too. It tarnished the brand for the company though and they spent a long time building their brand back up.

All the terrible megaman games of the early 2000s sold well, but it also did more harm than good.

Sonic's brand was in a bad state for a very long time and their big 3D games have been embarrassments post Generations.

cireza

Sonic's brand was in a bad state for a very long time and their big 3D games have been embarrassments post Generations.
That's not what I see when I look around. What does being an embarrassment mean ? Having a "not good enough" Metacritic score ? People who buy Sonic games don't even know what Metacritic is.

I linked amazon.com above. Sonic Forces is rated 5/5. Team Racing is 5/5 as well. These games are great fun to play, and Lost Level as well (on Wii U I found the game fantastic, on 3DS I really disliked it though).

People discussing Sonic in forums like these, and the fan scene making ridiculous and impractical Proof of Concepts are maybe 1% of the Sonic fanbase. The rest being kids and teens, with parents and grand-parents buying games for birthdays, Christmas or whatever reason. And Sonic is a famous character, kids like him, the recent games (Forces and Team Racing) are extremely well designed for kids (easy to play, customization, 100% Sonic) and were cheap to buy from day-one.

Sorry, I can understand that some Sonic fans in their forties are not satisfied with current Sonic games, but with the exception of Sonic Mania, Sonic games are absolutely not made for them to begin with. And the narrative that consists in telling us that the series is in bad shape or sells badly is never verified. And it is exactly the same way with the narrative telling us that only Sonic Mania was good and all other games were bad and sold poorly.

It doesn't mean I am not expecting better things. I think they will eventually deliver fresh and more open experience. Always thought it. But it will still be made to cater to a kids/teens audience first and foremost.

SegaShack

That's not what I see when I look around. What does being an embarrassment mean ? Having a "not good enough" Metacritic score ? People who buy Sonic games don't even know what Metacritic is.

I linked amazon.com above. Sonic Forces is rated 5/5. Team Racing is 5/5 as well. These games are great fun to play, and Lost Level as well (on Wii U I found the game fantastic, on 3DS I really disliked it though).

People discussing Sonic in forums like these, and the fan scene making ridiculous and impractical Proof of Concepts are maybe 1% of the Sonic fanbase. The rest being kids and teens, with parents and grand-parents buying games for birthdays, Christmas or whatever reason. And Sonic is a famous character, kids like him, the recent games (Forces and Team Racing) are extremely well designed for kids (easy to play, customization, 100% Sonic) and were cheap to buy from day-one.

Sorry, I can understand that some Sonic fans in their forties are not satisfied with current Sonic games, but with the exception of Sonic Mania, Sonic games are absolutely not made for them to begin with. And the narrative that consists in telling us that the series is in bad shape or sells badly is never verified. And it is exactly the same way with the narrative telling us that only Sonic Mania was good and all other games were bad and sold poorly.

It doesn't mean I am not expecting better things. I think they will eventually deliver fresh and more open experience. Always thought it. But it will still be made to cater to a kids/teens audience first and foremost.
It's an embarrassment because Sonic 30 years ago was a top video game character and series and the last time he held that status was in the Adventure games era (and those didn't even age well).

I mean Sonic was as big as something like Fortnite is now. To see a once great series make constantly mediocre entries is completely embarrassing for Sega.

Add to the fact that the series' best successes in recent years were a movie and video game (Mania) Sega had little to no involvement in, and it's an absolute embarrassment.

I do understand Sonic's target audience is children, as is Mario, but it doesn't mean the games can't be great for all ages. Heck, look at Pokemon and Animal Crossing which have no issue appealing to all ages.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I'm also not saying ONLY games like Mania can exist. But to make a critical and commercial success that was well receieved a "one off" is rediculous. No reason we can't have both 2D and 3D Sonic games in production.

Last edited:

NewChoppa

Banned
I linked amazon.com above. Sonic Forces is rated 5/5. Team Racing is 5/5 as well.

Your point being? Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric is sitting at 4.5/5 on Amazon. Sonic 06 is a 4/5 - and yet both games tend to be mentioned when people talk about games considered “the worst”.

And Sonic is a famous character, kids like him, the recent games (Forces and Team Racing) are extremely well designed for kids (easy to play, customization, 100% Sonic) and were cheap to buy from day-one.

You need to stop excusing mediocrity just because the game was “made for kids”. You can apply those same things you mentioned to Super Mario Odyssey, which many people think is one of the strongest Mario titles to date. It’s really not much to hold the devs accountable for a shit game.

People excusing the recent poor 3D Sonic games are just as bad as those that think 3D was never good and that 2D is the only way forward. I liked Mania too, but come on.

cireza

Your point being? Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric is sitting at 4.5/5 on Amazon. Sonic 06 is a 4/5 - and yet both games tend to be mentioned when people talk about games considered “the worst”.

You need to stop excusing mediocrity just because the game was “made for kids”. You can apply those same things you mentioned to Super Mario Odyssey, which many people think is one of the strongest Mario titles to date. It’s really not much to hold the devs accountable for a shit game.

People excusing the recent poor 3D Sonic games are just as bad as those that think 3D was never good and that 2D is the only way forward. I liked Mania too, but come on.
I don't really care about people thinking the recent games are bad. They are in their absolute right to think this and I respect it. Amazon ratings tend to show that it is a minority who thinks the games are bad. So they are only bad by their standards it seems.

However, people saying that :
- all recent games sold poorly because they are bad
and
- Mania is the only recent game that sold well

are totally wrong and spreading false information to drive their narrative.

These people should get ready for the next disappointment, because they will never be satisfied. And SEGA don't care anyway, and they are right to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom