• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic rumor from the same guy that was right about Sonic Generations

If this doesn't come to Vita, I will be sorely disappointed. I'll be getting a PS4 so I'll be able to stream it that way but for all those who only have a Vita, that sucks. I really hope Sega isn't abandoning the Vita :\

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What you're talking about? Isn't Sonic only developed by Sega/Sonic Team and Dimps?

The point stands.
FuqnPhm.gif

Also BioWare.

Rush, and to some extent Rush Adventure. The first Advance.

That's about it.

Oh yeah, the Advance games. So really, they've been pretty inconsistent from the start. Colours DS/Generations 3DS/4Ep1/4Ep2 has got to have been their worst streak though, even if those games (especially Colours/Gens) weren't entirely terrible for the most part.

If every developer who made a bad Sonic game was never given another chance, there would be no more Sonic games.

Considering the restructuring Sonic Team got before the games started being good again, maybe a new developer is what the handheld line needs.

Maedhros

So, three? That's about how many good Sonic games Sonic Team has made.

I found Generations on the 3DS to be better than the 360 version I had.

Both suck compared to Colors.

But Colors sucks compared to Generations. They're both good games though.

Generations on 3DS is completely trash. I don't understand how can people defend that shit... but hey, people need to justify the money they wasted.

Generations on 3DS is completely trash. I don't understand how can people defend that shit... but hey, people need to justify the money they wasted.

I didn't pay much and so am mostly content with my purchase, but it was definitely a cheap, rushed game. Literally lifting the stage design from the Mega Drive games was pretty funny.

I spent five american dollars on it. Not much to defend. It was Sonic Rush with remixed older stages. Final boss was bullshit though. It was enjoyable enough.

No. Sonic Colors > Generations

I didn't pay much and so am mostly content with my purchase, but it was definitely a cheap, rushed game. Literally lifting the stage design from the Mega Drive games was pretty funny.

they also lifted the level designs from their own versions of Rush and Colors, if at the very least the 3DS version of Time Eater was a better boss battle.

What's the developer of the Rival Games?

BackBone

I spent five american dollars on it. Not much to defend. It was Sonic Rush with remixed older stages. Final boss was bullshit though. It was enjoyable enough.

I hope for the next game Sega stop that A-Developer/B-Developer bullshit and give us the complete package.

Sonic Colors was so imaginative and original but the 3D sections where barren and lifeless.

Sonic Generations had a great sense of speed and great 3D sections but it was a more of a refined Unleashed one.

I hope Sonic has a double jump again.

SoulUnison

Banned
NOW they get rid of Dimps.

I'm still sore over how phoned in Sonic Generations 3DS was when the console versions were stellar.

What's keeping Sega from putting an in-house team on their Sonic handhelds, anyway?

AniHawk

Now it's the Sonic "This could be better" cycle which has little to do with pre-release and more to do with people insanely hyping up the product as "FUCK YEAH SONIC'S BACK" without noting the things that really need to be fixed for the next one until a few months later.

Edit: This needs a name.

i wouldn't hesitate to call colors or generations a good game. there were only a few things that kinda stuck out in either ones as major problems, namely drifting and the boss battles.

SykoTech

Knuckles wasn't hard mode in S3&K, he was hard mode in Sonic 2. Amy was the most difficult character in Advance.

He was hard mode in both, obviously.

Though I'll agree Amy was the most difficult in Advance. Quite hard to stay awake and get through the game with her, especially when it was pretty meh to begin with.

NOW they get rid of Dimps.

I'm still sore over how phoned in Sonic Generations 3DS was when the console versions were stellar.

What's keeping Sega from putting an in-house team on their Sonic handhelds, anyway?

Dimps is not a bad developer by any means. Sonic Rush and Street Fighter 4 are fantastic games. But you cannot expect the same quality from a rush port than of an original title with a good budget.

AniHawk

Bioshock Infinite 2 to be exclusive to Xbox Infinite

anyway as to this Sonic game, I still gotta give the other Sonic game Anihawk keeps pestering me about a chance before I can even get myself on any sort of optimistic level for a Sonic game. But I hope it's good

sonic generations is under $20 these days too. it's a little more uneven, but there are some damn good levels in there. it can be a bit jarring since it's a constant back-and-forth between two styles, where colors is pretty much one thing the whole game.

SoulUnison

Banned
Dimps is not a bad developer by any means. Sonic Rush and Street Fighter 4 are fantastic games. But you cannot expect the same quality from a rush port than of an original title with a good budget.

I don't know... I liked Sonic Rush because it was new Sonic on the DS, but looking back at Rush, Rush Adventure, Colors DS and Generations DS, Dimps never really rose above mediocrity with their SOnic series games.

The best part of their games are the soundtracks.

TheOGB

Banned
Dimps is a versatile developer. They're honestly not trash or anything, but their level design and game physics leave a lot to be desired most of the time.

They need to go back and learn from Sonic Pocket Adventure before they ever come back to the series

I don't know... I liked Sonic Rush because it was new Sonic on the DS, but looking back at Rush, Rush Adventure, Colors DS and Generations DS, Dimps never really rose above mediocrity with their SOnic series games.

The best part of their games are the soundtracks.

I never played Colors and Generations DS. But what is exactly mediocre about the Rush title?

1-Great Graphics
2-High Tier Soundstrack (Adventure is really underrated in that department)
3-Solid platforming
4-Decent stories but Sonic standards.

The second had a lot of content, with the missions and hidden islands and the gameplay was solid with no technical problems that I can remember.

Rush might be a little hard for beginners and had meh bosses and Adventure might had forced re-playability but don't let the terrible ports tarnish the reputation of those games.

Anth0ny

so this thing is basically going to be sonic colors 2, just with multiple playable characters?

welp

side scrolling 2d sonic from generations is done?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

I think that Generations is much better than Colors. The emphasis on slow, floaty 2D platforming and the Wisp powers don't do much for me. Still, I understand how others could love the game for those exact reasons.

The one Sonic game whose appeal has forever been lost to me though is Sonic CD. Literally everything about the game feels slapped together.

side scrolling 2d sonic from generations is done?

If we're lucky. Classic Sonic in Generations just felt wrong, and I think that Sega should just stick to improving the 3D formula.

ksdixon

not a massive fan of modern sonic 3d gameplay, but the generations engine was leaps and bounds better than adventure, heros and unleashed.

If we're lucky. Classic Sonic in Generations just felt wrong, and I think that Sega should just stick to improving the 3D formula.

Generations was a nice send off and good buy to that kind of gameplay. Now it's time for Sonic to move pass that.

I want more original stages, I really liked the alien worlds.

SoulUnison

Banned
I never played Colors and Generations DS. But what is exactly mediocre about the Rush title?

1-Great Graphics
2-High Tier Soundstrack (Adventure is really underrated in that department)
3-Solid platforming
4-Decent stories but Sonic standards.

The second had a lot of content, with the missions and hidden islands and the gameplay was solid with no technical problems that I can remember.

Rush might be a little hard for beginners and had meh bosses and Adventure might had forced re-playability but don't let the terrible ports tarnish the reputation of those games.

I felt like Rush and Rush Adventure had little to no platforming. The Boost system isn't exactly conductive to it, and the stage design had a huge dependence on bottomless pits.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
How can you not like it!? =O

~Teleportation yeah! Shabadubapbap!~

The level design is hideous and time travel is a mostly useless gimmick that is unnecessarily difficult to perform, thanks to its dumb activation requirements coupled with the aforementioned level design. Also, I hate hate hate hate Wacky Workbench.

It's something that I might've fallen in love with during my mega-fanboy days, but I was very disappointed when I first played it in Gems Collection.

I felt like Rush and Rush Adventure had little to no platforming. The Boost system isn't exactly conductive to it, and the stage design had a huge dependence on bottomless pits.

It's weird that you think that, that type of commentary usually comes from people generalizing. Because of how Vertical the Rush games are, they had a lot of platforms and areas that don't kill you after falling. The pits where always in the bottom screen.

I miss my DS and Sonic Rush. Huge Crisis was my favorite stage.

Tuck

I'd prefer if Sonic avoided humans and cities, but I'm glad they'll be sticking with the Unleashed style of gameplay. Generations was a blast. I just hope there is more 3D this time.

Someone poked a hole in the bucket, now time for the downpour.

So, first level is a city? Not surprising. I wonder what all the other city levels will be like...

A grey one, a red one, yellow, and white one. Great.

After Unleashed, I sure as hell don't care if they continue having humans around.

What's wrong with the humans in unleashed? They give you missions and some of them are pretty damn charming. I like the little girl from Shamar that got lost and end up traveling the world and trying to find a date for the woman from Mazuri. They had nice stories behind them.

If anything Unleashed is the only Sonic game that uses Humans right.

What's wrong with the humans in unleashed? They give you missions and some of them are pretty damn charming. I like the little girl from Shamar that got lost and end up traveling the world and trying to find a date for the woman from Mazuri. They had nice stories behind them.

I don't mind those stylized humans, but I wish there were also other animal background characters. Not any more 'new friends', just background characters.

TheOGB

Banned

That's what I meant. Guess the way I worded it made it sound like the opposite. :p

But yeah Unleashed's humans and locales were fucking sweet

I don't mind those stylized humans, but I wish there were also other animal background characters. Not any more 'new friends', just background characters.

Yeah I wouldn't mind that either. It would enrich the Sonic would if they had a bunch of humans and Anthropomorphic animals living together. Also Don't give them powers either, not everyone needs to be like Sonic. Also give some powers to humans. ( I mean Eggman already has "powers" in his crazy I.Q)

That way we would have a great melting pot, instead of Sonic and his friends sticking out like a sore thumb.

Top Bottom