• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX Interview, Game Renamed, Gets New Screenshots, Art Style, And Game Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god. I wish more developers would listen to feedback and realize that sometimes their "bold new directions" aren't as wonderful as they think.

sonicmj1

This sounds like a better compromise to me. I don't mind the real mountains, or even a new trick system, as long as there's a festive atmosphere, fun music, exaggerated personalities, and over-the-top tracks and tricks. It sounds like they're taking pains at this point to make sure those things are there, or at least to give us the impression they're there.

My skepticism won't be fully gone until I see gameplay, but I'm starting to feel more hopeful.

zankara

Hope they don't completely remove the deadly descents part. I quite liked the idea of each mountain having it's own gameplay challenges e.g Heavy snow or Strong winds.

mango drank

Although I welcome the changes, I kind of mourn the fact that we'll never get to see whatever it was the developers thought people wanted. I said that a while ago. I definitely saw this coming.

RedSwirl said:
Like I said earlier: no Kaori, no sale.
Why do people like Kaori so much? I found her to be the most annoying character, because of her very high, squeaky voice, which you hear throughout the entire course...

That said, the new SSX better have Kaori. Won't be the same without her. :(

I also sort of hoe the Tricky announcer (or some announcer) makes a return.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
mysteriousmage09 said:
lmfao they caved in fast!
142wqk4.jpg

ManeKast

Its been so long since a decent snowboarding game rocked around, can't wait for this and with this new information am a little more excited. Whats the release time frame?

now i'm interested....lets hope they can nail those controls. In Skate, i easily spent more time in free-skate mode than career mode. Solid controls are key.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this is the first time I've seen someone reverse on a game design in quite a while.

Well, except perhaps Max Payne 3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh man this must be killing soultron since he loved the initial reveals so much. someone break the news to that poor guy

mango drank

disappeared said:
So it seems the internet is in the business of game design now.

I was just thinking ... imagine if, say, Apple asked people what they wanted in a product instead of just giving it to them without any preview. I have a feeling we'd never have gotten any of the cool stuff they've released over the years. No innovative game-changers, no disruptive technology, etc. Just crap designed by a committee of millions.

Curufinwe said:
I almost skipped this thread and missed the good news.

I just hope Elise is one of the returning characters.
We've known about Elise since the original EGM article. Although she does look a little different.

_dementia said:
Really? I thought 3 was excellent.
Tricky was my first game. I went into 3 thinking the series had been more like Tricky.

I was quickly disappointed. It was still fun, but not quite the same. I hated that all the characters felt the same with maxed stats, and all the boards were just cosmetic. And the trick system, I hated that, too I'm pretty sure, though I can't remember exactly why. It was fun, but nothing I need to play again anytime soon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nirolak said:
I think this is the first time I've seen someone reverse on a game design in quite a while.

Well, except perhaps Max Payne 3.

Don't forget the Infamous 2 Cole redesign, pretty much the same thing on a smaller scale.

Anyways, I'm down with a new snowboarding game, even though 1080 Snowboarding is better than SSX.

DMczaf

All they had to do was show a different brighter weather setting and that's caving in?

The game still has all the other stuff you guys were bitching about just 4 months ago.

The wing suit

The axe

The helicopter

Story mode

"Survive it"

Google Earth

DMczaf said:
All they had to do was show a different brighter weather setting and that's caving in?

The game still has all the other stuff you guys were bitching about just 4 months ago.

The wing suit

The axe

The helicopter

Story mode

"Survive it"

Google Earth

New tricks system as well.

Zabka

brohmbel said:
I was just thinking ... imagine if, say, Apple asked people what they wanted in a product instead of just giving it to them without any preview. I have a feeling we'd never have gotten any of the cool stuff they've released over the years. No innovative game-changers, no disruptive technology, etc. Just crap designed by a committee of millions.
You forgot to mention the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would march their fiery steeds across the wastelands of Third Earth, collecting the souls of the wicked in their dark matter batteries.

I like the way this game is headed now.

colinp

Banned
qCg1u.jpg

Nothing says SSX character like shoulder pads and realistic extreme boarding helmets.

Well, the snowboard is orange and yellow so I guess it's alright!

soultron

Banned
OldmanAndroid said:
now i'm interested....lets hope they can nail those controls. In Skate, i easily spent more time in free-skate mode than career mode. Solid controls are key.
Yeah, same here. I loved just dicking around. Setting my marker somewhere and just tricking the shit out of one spot until I nailed something really sweet on it. The fact that you could move obstacles around to make your own spots on the fly was amazing too.

Skate 2 is basically my SSX3 of the Skate series. So good.

Calcaneus

And does that really count as "colorful"? You guys who were bitching are letting them off too easy! Maybe you guys are the ones caving.

colinp said:
Nothing says SSX character like shoulder pads and realistic extreme boarding helmets.

Well, the snowboard is orange and yellow so I guess it's alright!

I wonder what set bonus those shoulder pads will give.
They better get the balance right and not make the picks overpowered etc.

These two lines should never be able to apply to a snowboarding game, why the hell am I able to use them.

soultron

Banned
colinp said:
http://i.imgur.com/qCg1u.jpg[/IG]

Well, the snowboard [I]is[/I] orange and yellow so I guess it's alright![/QUOTE]
There's also an Uber in there if you squint your eyes really hard.

daegan

DMczaf said:

The wing suit

The axe

The helicopter

Story mode

"Survive it"

Google Earth

Not all of those things are bad, at least to me.

gondee

soultron said:
It also could be an Experimental, a simple grab from the first SSX. One of our users made this image to compare:

aEqAY.png

I would only confirm Ubers once we see both feet leave the board in a screenshot.

btkadams

DMczaf said:

The wing suit

The axe

The helicopter

Story mode

"Survive it"

Google Earth
the wing suit and axe seem to play smaller parts and are little "perks" like cod i suppose. i'm iffy on them still but the way that stupid cgi trailer made the game look is completely different from how they're explaining it now. the helicopter was in ssx1 in the last level so i can handle it.

the thing that i'm still upset about is the controls being on the analog stick. i bought skate 1 and 2 and liked them but i really really really prefer the controls we had with ssx over this new style (going by skate).

also, the people saying the shots look great are kidding themselves. i want neon colours all over the hillsides, wacky outfits, painted snow and crazy multicoloured confetti going off when i go over a jump.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
soultron said:
I question whether you actually know anything about SSX.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm still wary of the Google Earth level design but the concept art in that link looks promising. Still taking a wait and see on this game.

big_z

DONT WORRY GUYS DJ ATOMICA WILL BE IN THIS TO BRING THE XTREME!

I can't wait to board down mtn dew mountain. (pre-preorder only)

btkadams

big_z said:
DONT WORRY GUYS DJ ATOMICA WILL BE IN THIS TO BRING THE XTREME!

I can't wait to board down mtn dew mountain. (pre-preorder only)
whatever i liked dj atomica AND the dnl logos/boards.

Quagm1r3

The artstyle still doesn't look like the previous SSX games, granted that they haven't released much media about how the game actually looks. Although the artstyle was really great in previous SSX games, I'd still buy it day one if it played like the old franchise. So many good memories of knocking people over and pulling off ridiculous tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom