• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX Interview, Game Renamed, Gets New Screenshots, Art Style, And Game Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.
carvasd said:
Agreed 100%... maybe in some way they now feel relieved that they didn't necessarily had to re-invent the whole series into something 'new'... even by a little margin I'm sure the initial reaction/feedback helped change things around

That's thing thing, they made it hard on THEMSELVES. Nobody was tired of (good)SSX, nobody wanted a reboot, nobody asked for Call of Duty: Board Ops. If they went with a neon lighted, big personality reveal in the first place, and assured to the fans that the trick systems, ubers, and classic racing were still in place, they'd be free to do new stuff without that extra pressure that THEY brought about.

Hell, if they truly did go back and retool how this game is presented, it's a good thing it WAS revealed so early.

cbodom said:
man id rather have 10 well designed, polished courses than
1000 crap computer generated boring "mountains"
I feel like we've gone over this a hundred times. Yes the mountains are generated based off their new system but the courses themselves are hand made.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People care for characters on a snowboard game?
Just nail down gameplay, sense of speed/verticality and aestetichs and I'm in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah definitely. It wasn't just some generic Dude a la CoolBoarders or Amped. The characters, however silly, added a good deal to the arcadey & fun aesthetic/feel of the game.

Anticitizen One said:
Its too late to fix this game unless their willing to delay it and do a bigger overhaul.

I also love how they say "We are overhauling SSX for a new generation" LMAO the original games arent even that old yet! It's not like Star Trek and James Bond that have been around since the 60s and were begging for a modern reboot.
Exactly.

At this point I think I'd be happy with a redone SSX 3. And that dev is full of shit. I know some people here have said that the mountain in SSX3 was just put together tracks, but it was done extremely well. Remember the challenges to get down the mountain from the top to the bottom? That shit took like 45 minutes! No way they're going to do that 70 times over.

Wallach

AstroLad said:
Yeah definitely. It wasn't just some generic Dude a la CoolBoarders or Amped. The characters, however silly, added a good deal to the arcadey & fun aesthetic/feel of the game.

They're not edgy, though. Not edgy like ice axes. Upgradeable ones.

Dash Kappei said:
People care for characters on a snowboard game?
Just nail down gameplay, sense of speed/verticality and aestetichs and I'm in.

SSX without personality is not SSX. If I wanted generic characters, I'd go play a snowboarding sim. Their personalities (+ music, and neon) MADE that atmosphere

Emitan

Remember when the announcer would say "call your momma into the room and show her how good you are"? If I called my mom in to see this game she'd slap me, disown me, and set all of my possessions on fire.

Barakov

I'm much more optimistic about this one now. Glad to hear this Deadly Descents thing is just regulated to a mode.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Net_Wrecker said:
SSX without personality is not SSX. If I wanted generic characters, I'd go play a snowboarding sim. Their personalities (+ music, and neon) MADE that atmosphere
I've never said anything about wanting generic characters. I just don't see how having returning characters can make or break a game, just add new guys that fit with the game's direction and I'm fine with it. What do I care if Elise is back or she isn't, SSX shouldn't be a game based around characters' personality, it has always been the other way around.

soultron

Banned
charlequin said:
The guy in that screenshot is still wearing "realistic" gear, it's just colorful and lit well instead of grungy and dark.
The character is the exact same one since the initial reveal. The lighting change could mean they posed these shots in a different area of the game. Somewhere that's not in the middle of a blizzard, above/in the clouds, or simply night time. I agree that it's a better choice of setting for screens that's fitting with the new direction that their marketing is taking.

And I still don't get people saying "MILITARY COD" and all that. The whole goal of the Deadly Descents stuff is to be the first team/rider to conquer all nine deadly descents. You're not being chased. You're not being shot at. You're simply trying to be the first one to the bottom. Like, you know, a race.

It's dark and grungy, but that's what I expect snowboarding down the Himalayas would look like, especially near the summit. Mind you, I have no reference since I've never been there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:

1zyeycn.jpg

SykoTech

Net_Wrecker said:

Definitely. While I had reservations about the gameplay (and still do), it was the complete lack of personality that was the main turn off with Deadly Descents. It would be like Sega making a Jet Set Radio sequel, but getting rid of Beat and the other lovable GGs in favor of typical skaters with a serious atmosphere. I have nightmares just thinking about that
because it sounds like something Sega might actually do.

Hopefully this backpedalling means that the memorable flare of the past games will be intact.

edgefusion

I swear to god I could cry I am so happy. I totally missed this thread but stumbled upon the video. I feel relieved that I can turn to cautious optimism that this'll be an SSX like I remember.

soultron said:
The character is the exact same one since the initial reveal.

That's... basically what I said, yes.

And I still don't get people saying "MILITARY COD" and all that.

The increasing dominance of a certain type of gritty, muted aesthetic in specific association with modern military shooters over the last, say, five years is quite well understood. The visual similarity of depiction between the typical monochrome modern military figures in body-covering operative gear in these games and the snowboarding figures in the SSX debut trailer is straightforward to anyone who looks at them -- as is the manifest dissimilarity of said snowboarders to the colorful figures in previous SSX titles. If you're not willing to take those tiny, basic steps through the thought process I can't really help further.

soultron

Banned
charlequin said:
That's... basically what I said, yes.

The increasing dominance of a certain type of gritty, muted aesthetic in specific association with modern military shooters over the last, say, five years is quite well understood. The visual similarity of depiction between the typical monochrome modern military figures in body-covering operative gear in these games and the snowboarding figures in the SSX debut trailer is straightforward to anyone who looks at them -- as is the manifest dissimilarity of said snowboarders to the colorful figures in previous SSX titles. If you're not willing to take those tiny, basic steps through the thought process I can't really help further.
I'm admittedly a huge moron, yeah.

I just hope no one was serious about being chased by dudes armed with machine guns.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Give me fireworks, melting glaciers, giant animal balloons and a kick-ass techno/trance/rap soundtrack OR GIVE ME DEATH.

What's so infuriating is that gamers, being the kind of people that they are but also because of how narrow games are in terms of themes usage, immediately equate that particular look and feel with COD, aka murder action gaming. Nevermind the fucking fact that it's a commonly used style and color theme used for everything from Academy Award winning action-dramas to snowboarding movies. I can get that people who want more of the same don't like that look, but the particular noise that it generated was just plain fucking dumb.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen people mention COD and guns in reference to this game, despite the fact that nothing official about the game has ever pointed to any of that. And people blame EA, good grief.

Net_Wrecker said:
That's thing thing, they made it hard on THEMSELVES. Nobody was tired of (good)SSX, nobody wanted a reboot, nobody asked for Call of Duty: Board Ops. If they went with a neon lighted, big personality reveal in the first place, and assured to the fans that the trick systems, ubers, and classic racing were still in place, they'd be free to do new stuff without that extra pressure that THEY brought about.

Hell, if they truly did go back and retool how this game is presented, it's a good thing it WAS revealed so early.

But they tried doing that, reassuring people that it still was very much an SSX game, only with an added element of danger. Only it was met with "SSX Black Ops" from the collective.

gondee

But they tried doing that, reassuring people that it still was very much an SSX game, only with an added element of danger. Only it was met with "SSX Black Ops" from the collective.
You can see a measurable change in message being communicated by Todd Batty from early interviews to this one. He's dismissing earlier games in other interviews, talking about how the old games were obsolete, etc and so forth. Contrast that to this Game Informer interview where he talks about Tricky and SSX 3 being the pinnacle of the series. Every time we got a "Hey, it's still SSX" was in response to the backlash from the gaming community.

Don't underestimate the potential of EA's executives and producers to screw up a game - there've been several attempts to make a new SSX, only to be shot down by the executives and have the attempt cancelled. It's naive to think this change in tone and atmosphere in the game would have come as far as it did had the masses not objected as loudly as they did, when they did. EA's decision-makers didn't believe in the SSX we're on the verge of seeing now, they wanted SSX COD. Do you think an old-school producer who worked on the previous games would pick the Call of Duty direction unless they were prodded to do so? It's such a ridiculous notion that anyone who isn't an executive focused on dollar signs would see it, and yet that's what we got. They're only now realizing that any shot of getting this game to sell will require a turnabout from where they started.

gondee said:

Every fucking reference to this supposed "Call of Duty" direction is plain out fucking retarded. It's purely a message board invention, with the familiar path of propagation, eventually ending at people talking about the "truth" of SSX now featuring guns. It's in no way a valid point of criticism against the game or its reveal.

gondee

It's in no way a valid point of criticism against the game.
It's absolutely a valid criticism against the game. It's an analogy used to describe the dark atmosphere that pervades gaming these days that goes against most of what SSX has traditionally stood for. Of course it's not going to feature guns, but it tends to mean neutral tones, less emphasis on characters, and a drastic departure from what traditionally has made SSX fun. If you honestly think that SSX COD means guns and a character named Ramirez then you're the one missing the point.

gondee said:
It's absolutely a valid criticism against the game. It's an analogy used to describe the dark atmosphere that pervades gaming these days that goes against most of what SSX has traditionally stood for. Of course it's not going to feature guns, but it tends to mean neutral tones, less emphasis on characters, and a drastic departure from what traditionally has made SSX fun. If you honestly think that SSX COD means guns and a character named Ramirez then you're the one missing the point.

No, I understand perfectly. It's just a simpleton way of stating it. And fyi, there has been plenty of chatter about guns, and whether or not it's been a bloody serious concern each time doesn't even matter. It's just a continuation of the already dumbtarded SSX Black Ops wall of noise that was put up and painstakingly reinforced at every opportunity. And now you have people claiming that the developers never did anything to set the record straight, and that's a bunch of crap. But I guess it couldn't make it past the wall of complaints regarding the "Call of Duty" direction.

soultron

Banned
gondee said:
Gondee, I'm going to preface things by saying I have a massive amount of respect for you and MerquryCity. I think you're the truest of fans. You're die-fucking-hard. And probably better than anyone here when it comes to actually playing SSX. :]

But can you consider the fact that previous SSX games' themes, characters, and palette were largely a product of their time? I'm agreeing with AltogehterAndrews (and believe me, we've had our differences before) that the grungy and dark setting is something that pervades pop culture today. You're going to hate my comparisons, but I'd compare Deadly Descents to past SSX games as The Dark Knight is to the older Batman movies. I'm not going to argue their quality, because that's largely subjective. And I understand that a lot of SSX fans really dig the fun, hip characters and atmosphere. But none of that would mean anything if the game wasn't fun and polished in the first place. Does the fact that this game doesn't have fun colours and such disqualify it from being fun from a gameplay standpoint?

None of us know that answer. I wish none of us were so quick to dismiss it for the way it looked either.

I know I'm going in circles. I hope I'm not insulting anyone -- because that's never been my intent. But I just can't understand how close-minded some people are to Deadly Descents in general. I still very much respect people like Gondee, Net_Wrecker, the MODs, et al. for their opinions because they actually want to have a discussion and not just leave things at "LOL COD SSX."

Drunk posting, btw. :I

soultron

Banned
The second developer diary finally loaded. So nice to see gameplay, finally.

I'm pretty hyped. I'm interested to see more of the deadly descents stuff though, surprisingly. I have faith that they're going to nail the traditional SSX stuff so I want to see what's new.

Looking forward to see more/new Ubers too.

soultron said:
Gondee, I'm going to preface things by saying I have a massive amount of respect for you and MerquryCity. I think you're the truest of fans. You're die-fucking-hard. And probably better than anyone here when it comes to actually playing SSX. :]

But can you consider the fact that previous SSX games' themes, characters, and palette were largely a product of their time? I'm agreeing with AltogehterAndrews (and believe me, we've had our differences before) that the grungy and dark setting is something that pervades pop culture today. You're going to hate my comparisons, but I'd compare Deadly Descents to past SSX games as The Dark Knight is to the older Batman movies. I'm not going to argue their quality, because that's largely subjective. And I understand that a lot of SSX fans really dig the fun, hip characters and atmosphere. But none of that would mean anything if the game wasn't fun and polished in the first place. Does the fact that this game doesn't have fun colours and such disqualify it from being fun from a gameplay standpoint?

None of us know that answer. I wish none of us were so quick to dismiss it for the way it looked either.

I know I'm going in circles. I hope I'm not insulting anyone -- because that's never been my intent. But I just can't understand how close-minded some people are to Deadly Descents in general. I still very much respect people like Gondee, Net_Wrecker, the MODs, et al. for their opinions because they actually want to have a discussion and not just leave things at "LOL COD SSX."

Drunk posting, btw. :I

I, for one, get what you mean, and yes, gameplay + polish is first and foremost. But IMO, the fun, fun, party it up atmosphere with "big" characters is my 1b to gameplay's 1a. I NEED the game to give off a sense of these characters have personalities, the landscape has personality, the music fits, etc. etc.

The best way I can explain it is that yes, SSX3 might have been the most polished gameplay wise of the first 3 games, but because they kind of toned down the personalities, the tracks, and the rivalries, I didn't have as much fun as I was having with Tricky. It's a personal thing, and though it may not matter to everyone, it was a big part of what kept me coming back to SSX Tricky to cleanse my palette from shooters, and GTA.

I think I've always said that if the game released looking like CoD Board Ops, but was a 9+ reviewed game, I'd still buy it, but it would NEVER truly be the SSX sequel I hoped for, and that still holds true. I never completely wrote off the game from a game mechanics point of view (except when Ubers were feared to be gone), but the atmosphere of that CG trailer just wasn't what I expected from an SSX game.

Trust me, I do my best to hold off on outlandish statements early on in a game's development before we even see gameplay, but the way Deadly Descents was being presented at the time was grinding my gears. Talking down on the older games, playing up the survival mechanic, fear of Ubers not being in the game, the art from the initial reveal, a main character with no real personality judging from the trailers, etc. etc. It wasn't a good look.

AltogetherAndrews said:
immediately equate that particular look and feel with COD

Yes, it is indeed shocking that after the incredibly successful brand-building performed by the MW games (and their pitch-perfect adaptation of the style honed in the film medium over the last decade) that people would look at something that guilelessly apes that style and see the resemblance.

I mean, even forget the increasingly prevalent trend towards stylistic homogenization that has become more common in high-profile videogames this generation (as well as in films and other media) and which might lead people to reject a particularly prevalent style even if it's possible to be used in contexts besides gritty modern-war vehicles.

And also forget that independently of whether this style might be accepted as an isolated element of a game, or as a standalone title trying to chart its own course, it has the stink of focus-grouped reinvention when applied to a well-loved series with its own very distinct (and nearly opposite) style which people have been waiting for a current-generation release of for years.

No, clearly the problem is that we're all too stupid to come up with a cogent critique of the game as presented so we fell back on Ye Olde GAFFE Groupthinke herp derp derp.

soultron said:
But can you consider the fact that previous SSX games' themes, characters, and palette were largely a product of their time?

The problem I have with this idea is that it implicitly lays out the worldview in which cheerful, fun, colorful games were an outdated relic of the 90s, and now in 2011 we've entered the era where only dreary, gritty, and dark titles can possibly be released regardless of genre -- that's far too bleak and cynical a position for me to sign off on.

I mean, I don't hate the very existence of the "Deadly Descents" stuff -- as a mode in the game, a subset of tracks, I'm fine with it. My interest in SSX is that I want to be able to play a fun, colorful snowboarding game with over-the-top tricks and courses -- I don't mind if that game also includes a gritty BOARD OR DIE mode, and a game that includes both has room to experiment with the latter without actually failing to deliver on fan expectations and desires.

Don't want to start a console war here, but is there any word on a lead platform for this game? The making-of video I saw had an Xbox 360 being used to playtest the game, which I guess would hint at the 360 being the lead platform.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I want the PS3 version to be amazing and not substandard like other PS3 versions of mulitplatform games this gen. I can't imagine playing this game on anything other than a DualShock, so I hope I won't be handicapping myself when I buy the game on PS3.

SykoTech

Good question, but with so little footage I think that's something we'll have to wait to find out. Hopefully both versions will be on par with each other.

StuBurns

Banned
It's launching in 2012 and it's from EA, it'll be fine on both.

The game has to be tested on both systems regardless of what footage shows, and early in development when they're running on PC hardware they'll be using 360 gamepads.

soultron

Banned
charlequin said:
The problem I have with this idea is that it implicitly lays out the worldview in which cheerful, fun, colorful games were an outdated relic of the 90s, and now in 2011 we've entered the era where only dreary, gritty, and dark titles can possibly be released regardless of genre -- that's far too bleak and cynical a position for me to sign off on.

I mean, I don't hate the very existence of the "Deadly Descents" stuff -- as a mode in the game, a subset of tracks, I'm fine with it. My interest in SSX is that I want to be able to play a fun, colorful snowboarding game with over-the-top tricks and courses -- I don't mind if that game also includes a gritty BOARD OR DIE mode, and a game that includes both has room to experiment with the latter without actually failing to deliver on fan expectations and desires.
I agree with a lot of what you've said. Being a fan of the genre -- and not solely SSX -- lends me a certain slant though.

I think the main problem in disallowing SSX to remain what it started as is the platform choice. I'd hate to bring PC into this because then the series' past becomes a tangle of "what ifs," but I don't think today's console landscape affords the team the chance to create an SSX game with the old art style. Blame it on focus groups, EA brass, and whatnot -- like you mentioned.

It's a blessing and a curse. We're getting a new SSX game after all these years. I genuinely hope it's something we all can enjoy, even with the new DD bits.

Then don't. We're busy snowboarding into prisons here.

Nope, just me.

EDIT: I have faith that both versions will be great. It really comes down to what controller you prefer, I'd say. 360 pad for SSX3 has been pretty groovy as of late.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I can get that people who want more of the same don't like that look, but the particular noise that it generated was just plain fucking dumb.

We don't want more of the same which is why COD with boards isn't the atmosphere we want to ride around in. Some of us like something different from what everyone else is making aka COD-like brown brown serious and brown. I kind of feel like you've never played SSX and have no idea of its strengths. It's strength is not being serious or brown.

That looked like a low tier Uber in the video. I hate tiered Ubers.

I really just want a straight sequel to Tricky. Take Tricky and make it bigger, louder, and longer. That's all I really want.

sleepykyo

StuBurns said:
It's launching in 2012 and it's from EA, it'll be fine on both.

The game has to be tested on both systems regardless of what footage shows, and early in development when they're running on PC hardware they'll be using 360 gamepads.

Crysis 2 was published by EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom