• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New STALKER 2 info

Twinduct

Think one of the biggest features cut, that was also my most anticipated one, was the Dynamic AI structure. If I remember correctly the idea would have been no set territory for the AI groups, and that the AI would battle each other to claim territory and expand and etc. I remember reading a preview in our local mag (New Age Gaming) where it explained how every time you played the game, the AI would work differently. Like the Bandits would have raided villages, if they won, they would take it over and begin striking other places and etc. So then the faction that was attacked would try and take it back.

I know they have someform of it in the game atm, but having bandits patrol an area is not really the same as having a NPC faction invading and trying to take claim to the area.

Hopefully Stalker 2 is just stalker uncut :p

AllenShrz said:
I hope they keep the style.

I didnt play SALKTER Call of Pripyat.... Im not sure if I should get it...... I love the past ones but never finish them... they are pretty hard on the last levels.

CoP, in my opinion, is the best one. More polished/accessible but not dumbed down at all.

Twinduct said:
Think one of the biggest features cut, that was also my most anticipated one, was the Dynamic AI structure. If I remember correctly the idea would have been no set territory for the AI groups, and that the AI would battle each other to claim territory and expand and etc. I remember reading a preview in our local mag (New Age Gaming) where it explained how every time you played the game, the AI would work differently. Like the Bandits would have raided villages, if they won, they would take it over and begin striking other places and etc. So then the faction that was attacked would try and take it back.

Clear Sky had this, didn't it? Warring factions/dynamic territory claiming. Really need to replay it...

I thought the faction stuff in Clear Sky was pretty boring. I mean, the entire game is pretty boring, but the way they presented the faction wars just distracted me from the parts of the game I enjoyed most (exploration, atmosphere, etc) and in the end I just ignored it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Twinduct said:

This is correct, but another example of the developers really pretty outrageous scope of the original design. All the pieces put together made for a huge open world with fully dynamic AI that worked towards its own objectives, travelling packs of animals that acted on hunting cycles, vast anomaly that would temporarily alter regions with various effects, and a significant focus on survival for the player.

Most of what they aimed for came about in some form in either one of the three games, but none of it was as ambitious as intended. The original design was pretty much a 'dream game'. A stupidly huge living world concept featuring AI and environment dynamics unlike anything that had been seen, and has been seen since. Its no surprise they had to cut back the concept.

It would be nice if STALKER 2 was everything they promised, but I'm not even sure they can deliver it, let alone any study stuck to a limited budget and development time.

gabbo

Mr. Snrub said:
Clear Sky had this, didn't it? Warring factions/dynamic territory claiming. Really need to replay it...
It had a form of this, but it wasn't very dynamic or well defined. At least not when I last played it.

AllenShrz said:
I hope they keep the style.
I didnt play SALKTER Call of Pripyat.... Im not sure if I should get it...... I love the past ones but never finish them... they are pretty hard on the last levels.
CoP is the most, how to put this, straightforward of the three games. You can do all the things you could in the first two, but everything is structured more as a means to tell a cohesive narrative than SoC or Clear Skies ever really tries.

kamspy

This thread made me reinstall SoC.

There are some nice graphical additions to the complete mod since last time I played.

My weekend is now pwned by STALKER. Yet again.....

Top Bottom