• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New STALKER 2 info

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Deadbeat said:
I would be sad if stalker 2 was really bad but at least I got three stalker games out of it.

Modding community. Believe. And it's not like all the previous Stalker games were extremely polished, it's the mods that made it kickass.

tiff

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Modding community. Believe. And it's not like all the previous Stalker games were extremely polished, it's the mods that made it kickass.
CoP was pretty decent right out of the box. I don't think I ever got around to modding it, actually.

subversus said:
which one out of 7?
I can't remember which I got during my playthrough, but I watched them all on Youtube and they all seemed equally crap.

I just didn't like the direction the story took towards the end. Not that it matters at all overall in terms of impacting my opinion of the game.

Scipius

It really doesn't sound too promising, now does it? STALKER's popularity is in no small part due to staying off the beaten path other FPS games have followed to their eternal damnation. If all the PC version has over the console version is better graphics, the game will be a failure as a proper PC FPS. We heard the exact same line from Crytek.

Riposte said:
I saw the STALKER movie before I played the STALKER games. So w/e.

STALKER <> Stalker. What you saw was not the film they're talking about here.

Zyzyxxz said:
wait how can you play as Strelok since umm you know if you finished the first game...

It sounds more like a partial remake than a full-fledged sequel. That should allow them more freedom. Besides, CoP seemed to ignore SoC's final ending as well.

How the hell would they base the game on the movie? It would be hours of existentialism and rolling around in fields while you insult your companions.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr. Snrub said:
How the hell would they base the game on the movie? It would be hours of existentialism and rolling around in fields while you insult your companions.

the funny thing about STALKER universe is that the book, the movie and the game has only two things in common - The Zone and stalkers.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
tiff said:
CoP was pretty decent right out of the box. I don't think I ever got around to modding it, actually.

Yep it was, but you should try it with the Atmosfear or COP complete mod. Totally changes the game. :)

subversus said:
the funny thing about STALKER universe is that the book, the movie and the game has only two things in common - The Zone and stalkers.

I think some of the themes are the same, at least with the book and the movie, and maybe the ending of SoC. Really don't like the whole "man-made" aspect of the games, but whatever--I still love 'em.

A remake [edit: re-imagining? Whatever it is] seems like a bit of a waste of the 'Stalker 2' title, doesn't it? First impressions don't sound good, but it's Stalker, so benefit of doubt goes with it for now...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scipius said:
It really doesn't sound too promising, now does it? STALKER's popularity is in no small part due to staying off the beaten path other FPS games have followed to their eternal damnation. If all the PC version has over the console version is better graphics, the game will be a failure as a proper PC FPS. We heard the exact same line from Crytek.

The console boogie man isn't going to hurt STALKER, and there's no reason the current STALKER formula couldn't port quite well to console hardware.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Now we just need confirmation of multiplayer, no physical inventory, and preorder bonuses, and we're good to go.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EatChildren said:
The console boogie man isn't going to hurt STALKER, and there's no reason the current STALKER formula couldn't port quite well to console hardware.

There is nothing in the STALKER formula that couldn't be translated to consoles, but I don't think it's that irrational to be concerned about it being watered down to appeal to a broader audience. I loved SoC because it was harsh and free of handholding, so it would be a bummer to see them move away from that style since it goes against what is perceived to be valued by the market for FPS games.

I trust GSC, though, but it's hard not to be pessimistic sometimes.

EatChildren said:

they are already talking about adding vehicles. exploration on foot was what made the first ones so brilliant.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
they are already talking about adding vehicles. exploration on foot was what made the first ones so brilliant.

STALKER had vehicles in the original design, along with a whole bunch of other things that were cut.

Arcipello

im not holding my breath on this one.... it will be a buggy horrible mess when released and only after 6 months when the modders work their magic will it be playable. i REALLY hope they dont use that same engine.

IndieJones said:
The movies budget is $3 million? That doesn't sound right at all. Then again, considering what I know about movie production - what the hell!
They will actually shoot in Chernobyl itself which costs
your life
nothing.

Arcipello said:
im not holding my breath on this one.... it will be a buggy horrible mess when released and only after 6 months when the modders work their magic will it be playable. i REALLY hope they dont use that same engine.

It's a brand new multiplatform engine.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Let's hope whatever reasons they scrapped it for with the first game save us again!

Basically what happened was that someone at THQ decided to tally up how much money they'd burned on STALKER. When they realised that it was roughly the GDP of all of Russia, they decided to send a guy from head-office over there to slash and burn until the game was in a state where it was able to be released. As well all know that was a fairly generous assessment of the state it was in when it went gold, but considering the state it was in 6 months before that it's practically a miracle.

gabbo

Foliorum Viridum said:
Let's hope whatever reasons they scrapped it for with the first game save us again!
The game was in development for a long time (something like 6 years), and a lot of the features cut ended up being used in Clear Skies and CoP

Zyzyxxz said:
wait how can you play as Strelok since umm you know if you finished the first game...
They obviously used one of the endings in which you survive SoC/CoP

I know it had a longgg dev cycle (was going to out-do HL2 before it came out, right?) but I was hoping that they realised vehicles simply weren't right for the game :D

gabbo

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know it had a longgg dev cycle (was going to out-do HL2 before it came out, right?) but I was hoping that they realised vehicles simply weren't right for the game :D
Maybe they'll restructure part of/the whole game around the use of vehicles, as you've said, the first games don't really lend themselves to vehicle usage as they are.

I really don't want vehicles in the next STALKER. Half of the fun is going from place to place on foot, exploring the area. How anti-climactic would a random stalker vs. bandit fight be if you could just cruise past it.

Varna

Foliorum Viridum said:

They would have to make the world much larger to be able to incorporate vehicles in any meaningful way. You can pretty much spring to the end of any map in just a few minutes as it is. How much faster do you really need to move?

Where does this partial remake talk come from? If it's true... what a waste. We have three games already that involve the same areas (one has identical maps for the love of god).

All I ever wanted them to fix in this game was the stealth and movement. I hate how moving feels in this game. Like you are just gliding with no regards to the terrain.

The Big Rig said:
I really don't want vehicles in the next STALKER. Half of the fun is going from place to place on foot, exploring the area. How anti-climactic would a random stalker vs. bandit fight be if you could just cruise past it.

Could be done in interesting ways. I imagine a working vehicle would be a pretty damn valuable thing in the zone. Might make you a target if you just decide to cruise around.

The only way I want vehicles incorporated is if you'll actually be leaving the Zone at any point. In the book, the movie, and the game, vehicles are either unworkable or dangerous in the Zone, and I like it that way.

It's a super long shot, but I really wish they go with the original alien visitation origin for the Zones and not the nuclear/man-made disaster.

EatChildren

From memory the vehicles existed because the world was so large and open. The focus was still on survival. Vehicles were all run down and required maintenance, and had limited fuel. You had to aquire fuel and fill up the tank if you wished to continue driving them.

Just one of many things that were cut from STALKER to get it out of development hell.

EatChildren said:
From memory the vehicles existed because the world was so large and open. The focus was still on survival. Vehicles were all run down and required maintenance, and had limited fuel. You had to aquire fuel and fill up the tank if you wished to continue driving them.

Just one of many things that were cut from STALKER to get it out of development hell.

There was a mod that added them back in. It sucked, since every 100 yards there was an anomaly in the road (SoC).

DTKT

EatChildren said:

The maps really dont feel open enough to allow for vehicles.

Either way, there is no way that the inventory system stays for the console version.

EatChildren

Of course the vehicles didn't work in STALKER as we got it, because STALKER as we got it was slimmed down feature and size wise from what was in the original design. They were cut because they sucked, and as Mr. Snrub pointed out them being modded back in proved this.

In its earlier days STALKER was even more ambitious than what we got. If I recall correctly, it even had anomaly storm weather cycles that would alter large regions at random points in time (eg: rusting everything in that area over, altering gravity, twisting metals, etc). You had to hunt and eat too.

But it was trapped in development hell because the original idea was far too ambitious and the team obvious incapable of meeting their ultimate goal. Thankfully STALKER still turned out awesome.

gabbo

Mr. Snrub said:
The only way I want vehicles incorporated is if you'll actually be leaving the Zone at any point. In the book, the movie, and the game, vehicles are either unworkable or dangerous in the Zone, and I like it that way.

It's a super long shot, but I really wish they go with the original alien visitation origin for the Zones and not the nuclear/man-made disaster.
Would you be happy if it was alien visitation that causes the meltdown at Chernobyl? I'm partial to all three existing simultaneously and yet apart from one and other, trying to tell different stories.

gabbo said:
Would you be happy if it was alien visitation that causes the meltdown at Chernobyl? I'm partial to all three existing simultaneously and yet apart from one and other, trying to tell the different stories, even if Strelok does look a lot like Stalker from the Tarkovsky film.

That'd be better...I just never really liked the whole "humans are responsible for the super natural Zone/
shared consciousness
". Much more poignant for it to be a random visitation and the aliens peacing the fuck out
maybe

I do like how they did the Wish Granter in the game, although it would be cool
if part of the final mission was finding someone to come with you to "sacrifice".

gabbo

Mr. Snrub said:
That'd be better...I just never really liked the whole "humans are responsible for the super natural Zone/
shared consciousness
". Much more poignant for it to be a random visitation and the aliens peacing the fuck out
maybe

I do like how they did the Wish Granter in the game, although it would be cool
if part of the final mission was finding someone to come with you to "sacrifice".
It's aiming for a critique the book and film didn't have the option of portraying.

I am playing STALKER complete 2009 right now. I'm at a point where some guy has me go into a sewer hole. This is right after defending some guys at a trainyard, then had to kill a squad behind the yard. Right after that there was some squad of guys dressed in black carrying AN-94s that investigate the area you are in. If you run up the hill from that area you arrive at the sewer pipe.

I scored me a few shiny AN-94s, but now I am right at the weight limit and can't take any of this loot in the sewer tunnel. Not sure if I should backtrack/drop items/etc.

I really like the game, but it scares the shit out of me. I'm playing on the highest (i think) difficulty. I installed some mod to make my weapons hit harder/more realistic and the mod suggested this difficulty to balance it out. I also got some mod for better gun sounds (sounds awesome). I've avoided any spoilers so far, but so far the game doesn't seem like it has much story to it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I also remember that the game featured other people looking for Wish Granter and they could find it faster than you.

I think this was cut due to balancing issues.

AllenShrz

I hope they keep the style.

I didnt play SALKTER Call of Pripyat.... Im not sure if I should get it...... I love the past ones but never finish them... they are pretty hard on the last levels.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I liked the underground sections. They were pretty goddamn freaky.

Then again, I also love Metro 2033.

Did you like the parts where there was a guy with a machine gun around every corner, or just the ones where you stalked about on your lonesome?

Because I sure hated the corridor shooting sections which all of the underground areas turned into at some point, usually when you reached the bottom and then had to go back up. The entire ending stretch was also really, really painful, just shooting mayhem all of the time, not to my liking at all, but I put up with it to get to the good stuff.

The backtracking was quite annoying, I agree, and I also didn't like how shooter heavy the last section was.

When you were in the sewers, or just found some random underground place to explore, however, it was so scary. There were some really great underground sections in CoP, too.

Top Bottom