• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Wars series female-centric and everything you (didn't ask for)

Details of the exact plot of the series are being kept under wraps, but sources say it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the “Star Wars” timeline than other projects. Headland is said to be attached to write and serve as showrunner on the series, with the show currently staffing.

Leslye Headland, Harvey Weinstein’s former personal assistant and the co-creator of Netflix’s Russian Doll,

She adds, “So as I started to rise in television, I just started to get more blunt. And just start saying, ‘I would like a black writer.’ Because if I said diverse you get well, ‘White is diverse,’ which is something somebody said to me.”

She then stated, “And I was like, ‘Wow!’ I was like ‘It’s not, cool.'”

I guess we'll see if this one actually happens...

Edit: Great choice for Star Wars:

Last edited:
If they're fun to watch, I'm fine with them. If they're good to show my kids, I'd rather show them star wars than frozen, but, like, if it reeks, it reeks.

This is what happened with A Wrinkle in Time. It was praised as being monumental and milestoned across the board. People went to see it because the director was praised as the best thing since sliced bread. So inclusive. So diverse. So... fucking terrible of a film. And then everyone laughed at it... and Disney kicked it under the rug as if it never happened. Star Wars fans aren't going to let Disney do that if this stuff is shit too. Make a good show / movie first. Then pat yourselves on the back after it finds success. Then talk about perspectives, with example: "As a X I thought about Y and when making scene Z it all just came together."

Makariel

Only watched Russian Doll about halfway, then we got bored and watched something else. Can't even remember much, was a bit "imagine Groundhog day but with drugs and more sex and swearing". So consider my interest non-existent.

Star Wars is a joke. Does anyone legitimately care at this point in time?

I care about The Mandalorian because I thought S1 was awesome, and I care about new single player games after Fallen Order was great IMO, but that's about it.

As for this new series, I guess I will give it a chance (as I do most things) if it ever sees the light of the day. Gurl Powah doesn't bother me necessarily, as long as it's a fun time. For example, Ghostbusters 2016 didn't suck because of the female cast, IMO, it sucked because it was a straight up comedy that wasn't funny.

If this series aims for humor, hopefully it is actually funny, or if i aims for more action, hopefully it is actually exciting, etc.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Leslye Headland, Harvey Weinstein’s former personal assistant and the co-creator of Netflix’s Russian Doll,

She adds, “So as I started to rise in television, I just started to get more blunt. And just start saying, ‘I would like a black writer.’ Because if I said diverse you get well, ‘White is diverse,’ which is something somebody said to me.”

She then stated, “And I was like, ‘Wow!’ I was like ‘It’s not, cool.'”

I guess we'll see if this one actually happens...

d543efd7636d531bb8dd31d0dfb74d28.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Good luck with that.

I guess they haven't learned yet. Inject woke agenda's into your Star Wars and your going to have a bad time. Just make Star Wars Star Wars like Mandalorian and you gonna make some $$$.

But gotta keep having the STRANG WAMANZ in Star Wars. God forbid boys have their thing. Nope can't have male children living vicarously through men who have character arcs and grow and learn over their journey. Mary Sues who are the best at everything surrounded by a bunch of drooling manbabies who can't do anything right without the help of a WAMANZ.

Turnt

At this point if you’re a writer I don’t know why you would work on a Star Wars project. Just seems like you are inviting those fans to make your life miserable.

The most entertaining thing about Star Wars at this point is its death spiral.

This is genuinely true for me.
I wanna see how much worse things can get. We've gone from cool stuff like alpha Han, slave-Leia and bloody severed limbs, to space horses, Admiral Gender Studies and your momma jokes. Whats next, Disney?

GreyHorace

It's amazing how much Kathleen Kennedy and her feminist army at Lucasfilm are doubling down on this woke bullshit. The Mandalorian already showed them what fans want out of Star Wars. And that's good and simple stories with characters you care about. None of this diverse gender equality bullcrap.

Stop with the insistence that you need to make a female centric Star Wars. It's had women in prominent roles since it's beginning.

bd32dd5c3b9b7187d70fd564c06f5d67.jpg

Yeah yeah. I'm including Rey in there, despite the failure of the Sequel trilogy. I still like her and Daisy Ridley deserved better.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
another self hating white person making career moves off "calling out" other white people. of course she does this in order to help her own career. it's empty virtue signalling so that another white woman can get rich pretending to care about POCs.

hey Leslye if you actually believed white people should make room for POC creators then why don't you step the fuck aside? why won't you follow your own damn advise?

cherry on top is how this bitch can work as the personal assistant for Harvey Weinstein and then still have a career. then again we have people defending Joe Biden so the whole MeToo thing is a fucking joke at this point.

would be nice to have a Star Wars property announced but leading with a story hook or something. instead it's "this next product will have a vagina posessing human front and center". it just shows that story and quality are afterthoughts. the problem with representation isn't that it is happening at all, it's that it REPLACES good story.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Heard good things about Russian Doll. Curious to see how this turns out.

It was alright, I guess. It had some big symptoms of the mind virus, though. Pretty much the only white guy in it was a womanizing asshole who didn't care about anyone and uses his position of power at a school to sleep with students and any woman he can convince with his evil white man superpowers. The other white guy was a psychotic homeless man.

It depicts a New York City where every single person is gay or has a pamphlet you have to read to understand their pronouns before speaking to them. Outside of that, it had some cool ideas and used a catchy ass theme song.

lock2k

Banned
I care about The Mandalorian because I thought S1 was awesome, and I care about new single player games after Fallen Order was great IMO, but that's about it.

As for this new series, I guess I will give it a chance (as I do most things) if it ever sees the light of the day. Gurl Powah doesn't bother me necessarily, as long as it's a fun time. For example, Ghostbusters 2016 didn't suck because of the female cast, IMO, it sucked because it was a straight up comedy that wasn't funny.

If this series aims for humor, hopefully it is actually funny, or if i aims for more action, hopefully it is actually exciting, etc.
Good point. Haven't seen the Mandalorian yet. I was referring to the movies and I forgot about it.

Durask

Yes, I really want this person to make my Star Wars shows, Like, can't wait.

Yet another mentally ill wokette.

Oh, yeah, she also wants rom-coms to come back. Somehow I don't think I'll like any romcoms from this lady...

Last edited:

oagboghi2

At this point if you’re a writer I don’t know why you would work on a Star Wars project. Just seems like you are inviting those fans to make your life miserable.
"Oh no, my life is miserable because people on the internet are not exited for my star wars fan fiction."

Maybe you people shouldn't be so fucking weak Turnt Turnt . Small criticism like this shouldn't make you "miserable"

Moogle11

Banned
I couldn't give a shit less of it was male-centric and pissed off the SJWs or female-centric and pisses off the other side. It's nice just not giving a shit or being offended by either and just enjoying things on the quality of entertainment provided. I'm hoping this is good, but assume I'll like it as I've enjoyed pretty much everything Star Wars related to date. Some is much better than others of course, but as someone just looking for popcorn entertainment with my shows and movies, I have a pretty low bar for enjoying things.

Arimer

Female centric to me is a terrible selling point. BAsically says, we dont think its strong enough without pandering. I dont mind a female cast but if thats your selling point its a poor selling point.

Turnt

"Oh no, my life is miserable because people on the internet are not exited for my star wars fan fiction."

Maybe you people shouldn't be so fucking weak Turnt Turnt . Small criticism like this shouldn't make you "miserable"

Yeh, this is what I mean. A swarm of this. For what it’s worth, I think you’d really enjoy my Star Wars fan fiction.

Turnt

A swarm of online comments makes your life miserable? My god :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thousands of people interupting my every day life to tell me that they're mad about the lady wookie, or whatever the fuck, does not sound like the most fulfiling way to spend my time. The people who make these movies end up getting death threats. Were you one of the people sending those?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
do yall think she set up some rapes for Weinstein during her tenture as his personal assistant? from what i can tell it was in the late 90s when he worked for him. yes she says she was not aware of anything. but isn't that exactly the kind of thing the personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein would say? like lol your job is enabling a serial rapist no shit looking the other way is part of that.

it is very ironic how she wrote her "experiences" into a broadway play, which was optioned by NBC as a series.
Assistance premiered in 2008 and was staged in 2012 at the New York theatre space Playwrights Horizons. Television rights were acquired by NBC, to be executive-produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay; Krysten Ritter of the ABC series Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 was set to both star and executive produce.
imagine a network playing defense for Weinstein all while pushing a tv show based on working for him. she literally made money off working for him and selling a romanticized tv show version of that to the very network who helped covering up his crimes.

yes, wonderful people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom