• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam Home Streaming is AMAZING !!!

wow just tried it with my laptop. Played some Batamn Arkham Origins and I was really impressed by the whole thing. Usually my laptop will sound like an aircraft getting ready for take off and gets insanely hot. However, this didn't put any stress on it. It was like it was running chrome or something.

akira28

If only it didn't run the game on my PC as well when I'm streaming to my MBP. It would be awesome if it didn't do that. Because if the the GF wants to surf the web, I could easily stream to the MBP...But hey...Baby steps.

can't she just tab out of the game? and let it run in the background?

GravyButt

So its been working good. Once in a while I get a yellow message in bottom left corner saying slow connection. Wonder if its my 5-6 year old laptop or 5 year old router. Either way its running pretty decent for both things being wireless

akira28

aww...so it's just another remote desktop, but for games. I was hoping for more like a steam client based gaming layer or something.

therapist

Def gonna test this on friday.

I have a shitty atom pc in my living room i use for videos and such (XBMC) , it is not a powerful machine but i figure if i can stream 1080p mkvs over wifi i might have some good luck.

Also have the option of a powerline adapter to test.

Gowans

Tested it with a couple of games worked ok but I had massive amounts of lag with L4D 2.

Need to put it through its paces, it's lovely and simple tho.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I was reading the new In Home Streaming info page today and it did say only windows is supported currently. With a little asterisk describing the Linux and Mac versions to come later.

I believe that's for Linux host streaming. My PC is host so it *should* work fine. I've even seen people post videos on YouTube to demonstrate

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Codec issue maybe?

I get sound if I switch out of the game and make noises from other places. I also get sound in the game if i disable my main sound speakers on the computer hosting the game. Any idea why this would be?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I get sound if I switch out of the game and make noises from other places. I also get sound in the game if i disable my main sound speakers on the computer hosting the game. Any idea why this would be?

Not at all, that sounds pretty weird. Sorry :(

Steam Forums said:
i feel rediculous. for whatever reason the "desktop" volume on my HTPC was 0 and the volume within my media hub was 100. So I just turned the volume up...

Maybe it's something weird like that? Games messing with audio levels is nothing new for Windows :p

Could someone tell me if this works only if you are on the same network? I have 2 networks at home that are wirelessly bridged, on different ip blocks, I wonder if it would work..

It's worked pretty amazing for me so far, though I'm really close to my router and my router is really good and my desktop is very high end and it's etherneted in...

Point is, it's working way better than I expected. If they every have plans to extend this outside the home, I would be ecstatic.

I'm not kidding, this is amazing. I'm streaming a game of Chivalry at 60 fps, max graphics to a shitty laptop, no lag on the stream and no lag on the server.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

wilflare

lol if only I can get this working on the PS4 or Vita somehow
maybe it's really time to get a Shield :/

Chromecast support would be cooooool

stuminus3

Got this up and running last night, streaming my gaming desktop to my crappy old work laptop hooked up to my big TV. Very impressive!

When it works, which is most of the time, it's pretty amazing. Not 1080/60 amazing - laws of physics in effect there - but good enough if I just want to crash on the couch for a couple of hours of comfort at 720/30+. It's a bit hit or miss with some games but that seems more to be with the host PC encoding the stream - Trials Evolution usually runs at 60fps on my desktop but with streaming on it seems to run in slow motion but then I switch to Dark Souls II and it's nearly flawless.

It'd be crazy if the console companies let Valve make an app for this on their systems.

M3d10n

Just tested streaming from my desktop (bedroom) to laptop (living room) and it was amazing! I don't notice the lag but there were some framedrop spikes. I manually set the bitrate and it improved a lot, I can stand some compression artifacts as long as the framerate remains smooth.

I'll finally be able to play my PC games in 3D on the big living room TV now.

I have to find a way to get a ps3 or 4 controller working with my dell venure 8. I have no micro to micro usb cable, or micro to mini. Its frustrating I can seem to sync without plugging it in.

Septimus

So I tried this out on PCSX2 but I seem to get a 'Slow Capture' reading at the bottom and everything moves quite slow. But playing a native Steam game works fine.

Anyone know why? That MGS3 video looked pretty smooth and I want to get results like that.

EDIT: Wondering now if it's a performance issue since I had 4x native resolution on.

SpaceHorror

Tried it on the crappy old Dell I have hooked up as a media rig to my TV and had a pretty good experience. Fallout New Vegas was completely playable, almost as good as playing on my rig directly. Batman: Arkham City stuttered some and had brief instances of slowdown, but overall it was playable as well. Color me impressed.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ugh! What is the holdup with the iOS client?! I just realized that my iPad Mini 2 fits the Nyko Gameklip perfectly!

Any news?

Top Bottom