• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam Home Streaming is AMAZING !!!

Randdalf

The fact that Valve isn't developing apps for other devices and mobiles to stream this content is quite frustrating considering it's a no brainier.

Well it's not really a fact they're not developing them, they very well could be! They only just got home streaming out of beta for PC, releasing an app that could do it might take a while longer yet.

Streamed it to my neighbor's laptop and played Sleeping Dogs with very little if any input lag. Was great considering his laptop is a single core 1.2 Ghz intel and we're playing that game maxed out lmao.

Mikeside

Well it's not really a fact they're not developing them, they very well could be! They only just got home streaming out of beta for PC, releasing an app that could do it might take a while longer yet.

I'm wondering if this is going to be part of a huge app update for Android. They're long overdue one

Tenck

So if this does wind up working on Android...

a reason to buy an Ouya?

Rasberry Pi, Limelight, and save yourself $65. Though I believe it only has keyboard and mouse support right now. Not sure how far they've come with controller support.

sunofsam

C'mon Android - want to test this on my Nexus 10.

Be cool if it worked with Roku 3 as well. It has bluetooth capabilities for its game remote.

Artadius

Definitely going to try this soon.

I now feel vindicated for insisting to my wife that we needed to wire the house with CAT6 when it was being built last year.

1080p 60fps comfy couch here we come!

So happy about this feature. Not having the TV to myself now that my gf has moved in with me I can now whack my headphones into my laptop and blast some torchlight on my crappy laptop rather than watching fucking vampire diaries whilst trying to stab by eyeballs out.

JordanKZ

People hoping for a wide rollout of Android devices might not want to get too excited. Home streaming basically relies on hardware level h.264 encoding/decoding, its the reason why it works so well on modern PC's that have this built into the CPU.

Newer Snapdragon SoC's have this, but I don't think the Tegra 3 that powers the Ouya and older Android devices will do it particularly efficiently.

The only time I tried to use home streaming was between my work laptop and my desktop PC and they refused to see each other, despite the fact that explicitly opened the ports on both ends. :(

Septimus

Someone was mentioned non-Steam programs (like emulators) working. How would you go about getting PCSX2 for example to work? Like the guy who posted the video of MGS3.

I don't think my Homeplugs are up to the task. Tried early in the beta and while it worked, there was some pretty big lag and stuttering, which still seems to be there in the full release :\

pestul

It would be awesome if they gave the android app (when available) the ability to cast itself again from say a tablet/phone to a device like the Roku 3 or Chromecast. All the controls handled by the native Android version of Steam beamed to those devices. It probably would introduce another level of latency though..

To say this is awesome is like the greatest understatement in the history of gaming. My Elitebook 2730p which I use for work is now a gaming PC...and I didn't have to sacrifice my first born either.

This is amazing.

Item Box

Other than some slight screen tearing issues, streaming games from my $199 chromebook in a different part of the house is pretty sweet.

And the ability to work with non steam games means I don't have to sit in front of the computer to play FFXIV anymore. :)

FaintDeftone

Times like this make me wish I had a Windows tablet and not an Android one... this being the ONLY time like this.

That being said, when I get home tonight I'm going to test this between my gaming rig and my MacBook Air (which is 3 years old) and see how it performs.

SparkTR

I might start looking into cheap living room PC set-ups soon, it'll be convenient to have this streaming to all my rooms.

dex3108

Times like this make me wish I had a Windows tablet and not an Android one... this being the ONLY time like this.

That being said, when I get home tonight I'm going to test this between my gaming rig and my MacBook Air (which is 3 years old) and see how it performs.

As i said before you can stream games on Android devices if you have nVidia graphic card.

wilflare

Guild Wars 2 stream... sigh why is my game code of it not redeemable on Steam (or can tell me it's Steam Play?)

can you imagine this working with the Chrome cast... that portable Steambox

kencey

Didn't work with wireless, had to connect the client (old laptop) to the router with ethernet cable. Maybe my wireless router is crappy?

shandy706

Way! too much lag in the OP vine video for me. Would drive me nuts.

Makes me worry about how responsive Playstation Now will be. I'm hoping the lag isn't bad. If it's as bad as in the OP...I'll probably pass on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh this is out now? That's fantastic.

I just moved recently and have my PC in my office, which makes it difficult for me to play games on the big screen in the living room. This would be perfect.

Someone was mentioned non-Steam programs (like emulators) working. How would you go about getting PCSX2 for example to work? Like the guy who posted the video of MGS3.

I think this is the most convenient way atm: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721763
http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/getting-started/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IceRM

but there are other ways like:

http://pastebin.com/0fq1RRaQ
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dolphin-with-steam?pid=274348#pid274348

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yO4eiFV5Ro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mraKRqpuRcU

Derp

I have to agree. I tried it earlier today. Streamed from my gaming PC to my laptop. It's just freaking amazing. I love you, Steam. I really do.

Garou

So what's everyones average frame latency?

I have 2 PCs, both with Gigabit-Ethernet to the router and have an average of 30ms frame latency in CS:GO on the "Beautiful"-Client setting. So basically I'm lagging 2 frames behind, right?

Here a random excerpt from the StreamVideoTrace.log:
k_EStreamFrameEventCaptureBegin at 296623.38ms, delta: 0.00ms
k_EStreamFrameEventCaptureEnd at 296630.00ms, delta: 6.62ms
k_EStreamFrameEventConvertBegin at 296630.00ms, delta: 0.02ms
k_EStreamFrameEventConvertEnd at 296630.72ms, delta: 0.72ms
k_EStreamFrameEventEncodeBegin at 296630.72ms, delta: 0.00ms
k_EStreamFrameEventEncodeEnd at 296644.97ms, delta: 14.24ms
k_EStreamFrameEventSend at 296643.13ms, delta: -1.85ms
k_EStreamFrameEventRecv at 296644.22ms, delta: 1.10ms
k_EStreamFrameEventDecodeBegin at 296644.28ms, delta: 0.06ms
k_EStreamFrameEventDecodeEnd at 296647.81ms, delta: 3.56ms
k_EStreamFrameEventUploadBegin at 296648.25ms, delta: 0.41ms
k_EStreamFrameEventUploadEnd at 296648.47ms, delta: 0.23ms
k_EStreamFrameEventComplete at 296651.75ms, delta: 3.28ms
total frame time: 28.38ms, result = k_EStreamFrameResultDisplayed

The Host-PC is an i5 2500K@4.4GHz with a GTX670, I have the game set to 768p (because that's the TVs native res) and everything else on max.

yatesl

It doesn't play nice with homeplugs. Playing Ducktales on my laptop (which, admittedly, would run without streaming), and it'd be MOSTLY fine - but I'd occasionally get lag spikes, where everything just locks up for a second or two.

Not the best when you're on your last life, and in a minecart.

It could always be the wireless, but I was about 20ft from my above average router, so I'm thinking it's the dodgy wiring in the house. Most times I get speeds of ~54mbps on my PC (vs ~76mbps max internet speed, direct to router), but sometimes it'll just randomly drop out.

Grief.exe

Guild Wars 2 stream... sigh why is my game code of it not redeemable on Steam (or can tell me it's Steam Play?)

Guild Wars 2 isn't available on Steam at all, and even if it was it wouldn't be Steamworks.

Way! too much lag in the OP vine video for me. Would drive me nuts.

Makes me worry about how responsive Playstation Now will be. I'm hoping the lag isn't bad. If it's as bad as in the OP...I'll probably pass on it.

It's due to the wireless connection. Go with a wired setup.

GravyButt

Wow. Awesome. I just tried batman arkham origins and fallout new vegas streaming from my desktop to my 5-6 year old laptop in the bedroom. Worked great. Few slowdowns here and there, as both are wireless, but thoroughly impressed.

Now I may need to hook up my laptop to my hdtv and just leave it in there in the living room. Think a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up to the laptop would work for gaming purposes?! Wow im so pumped right now its not even funny. Been waiting for steam to do something like this for a looooong time!

I was amazed how well this worked even with my bad internet. I got a smooth almost native like experience playing Dark Souls 2 at 60fps in bed with my Macbook.

If Steam releases an app on X1 or PS4 I will do this...

giphy.gif

Why the Xbox One doesn't do something like this and Windows 8 I will never know. I would run out and pick one up right now if I could stream Xbox One games today. Debating getting a PS4 just to do this with my Vita.

Still, I found this over on Gaming on Reddit. Someone hooked up their PS4 to their PC through a capture card and is streaming to their laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEu9RcwxQQ

I would consider doing this depending on the latency between the console -> PC -> Tablet.

lionpants

I tested this out with Rogue Legacy over WiFi last night. I used a wireless 360 controller that was paired with the main computer (it was close enough), while my tablet - connected to the TV - received the stream. It worked pretty well with some noticeable video lag at some points. I can only assume it would be much better over a fully wired LAN.

The only bummer is that it doesn't pass through 5.1 Audio yet. :(

wilflare

Why the Xbox One doesn't do something like this and Windows 8 I will never know. I would run out and pick one up right now if I could stream Xbox One games today. Debating getting a PS4 just to do this with my Vita.

Still, I found this over on Gaming on Reddit. Someone hooked up their PS4 to their PC through a capture card and is streaming to their laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEu9RcwxQQ

I would consider doing this depending on the latency between the console -> PC -> Tablet.

that's a super awesome idea! but... what would the DS4 sync to?

that's a super awesome idea! but... what would the DS4 sync to?

It would have to be in range of the PS4 since you are just capturing the video stream off the PS4.

Now that I think about it, it seems that this could work better by just plugging the PS4/capture card directly up to your laptop/tablet.

Crap, I might have to somehow use all my Target trade credit and get a capture card now!

FinKL

Tested this out with Divekick yesterday, and it seemed near perfect on input lag. I tried putting my tablet near my gaming PC monitor to see if I could see lag and didn't. This is on N-speed wireless. This is amazing.

What are people using for gaming inputs? The Dell Venue 8 I have only has 1 usb port, so I dont think I could keep it powered and hook up a wireless receiver for my xbox controller.

Finally, what do you guys think the bottleneck is on this chain? Is it LAN speed? Server CPU or GPU? Client CPU?

I have had amazing experience with streaming, clocked around 3 hours of dark souls 2 the other day.

The only problem I have with it is that I cant map controls to Dolphin emulator, Im wondering if they fixed that with the full release.

Arooguy

Tested it out and had little to no input lag. I am very impressed. The only game so far that I have had some problems with streaming is Sleeping Dogs.

Top Bottom