• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam Home Streaming is AMAZING !!!

I had some issues during beta but I'm going to try this out again. I'll connect my laptop to ethernet this time and see how things go.

I'm streaming from Windows to Linux.

Yeah, I stream to my MBP all the time. Actually, I think I've played more games from bed lately streaming to it than I have at my desktop since getting it all set up lol

Just tested with my MBP...I'm going to be lazy for a loooooonnnnnggggg time, thanks!

gwarm01

Would this work with a Linux HDMI thumbdrive? If so, what would a good model be? I'd love to just have a mini-PC permanently plugged into my TV for this.

Sandfox

If Steam releases an app on X1 or PS4 I will do this...

giphy.gif

That's never going to happen lol.

If only it didn't run the game on my PC as well when I'm streaming to my MBP. It would be awesome if it didn't do that. Because if the the GF wants to surf the web, I could easily stream to the MBP...But hey...Baby steps.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow! I'm not a big streamer... I have a pretty small apartment; and outside of PS4 remote play right before bed on my Vita, I don't really understand the point. But gotta say, Valve's implementation is damn near perfect.

My desktop is my host machine, and the MBP is receiving the stream. Log in on the laptop, and all my games on my desktop are listed. Click one... and it asks if I want to stream. I say yes, and boom, I'm in.

And the latency is VERY low, and the quality is surprisingly nice.

Took a quick YouTube video. The desktop is plugged into my router/modem via Ethernet, then my MBP is connected via WiFi (Wireless N).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jly7aPpJe2M

Ah but it seems based on the first page i can't do it to my macbook air. That is a shame

Or wait..people said ipad air. doh.

I still can't get it to work then. hmm

When I booted Steam on my MBP, it prompted of the bat I was in the home network. Check your Stream settings on your PC if anything.

Is there a simple fix for the "Could not connect to remote host" error? Streaming worked for me a few times during the beta but I keep getting that error when I try now. My computers can see each other but that box pops up when I try to stream a game (the game opens on the host though).

EDIT: Works when my laptop is on wifi but not on ethernet. Not sure what's up with that.

joseale

oohh this looks neat.

So if I understand correctly this will use the graphic processing power of the main desktop machine and stream it over, but what about audio? will it use the host machine configuration or the remote machine configuration, specifically for channel count (stereo vs 5.1)? Will 5.1 audio be streamed?

I have a laptop that has HDMI out that I could connect to the receiver (which connects to the TV), so theoretically I could handle 5.1 audio if it can be streamed.

Renekton

I had found that, even with my computer and router in the next room, I couldn't quite keep a consistent 60 frames, so I dropped it down to 30 and the experience was absolutely perfect.

I played RAGE at 30 frames on my bed with my PS4 controller plugged into my Mac, John Carmack would have been spitting in his grave but oh well, the experience was awesome.
WTF, he's not dead

Chris R

Hopefully Nintendo is giving it some serious thought. It give players a way to 'access' games that wouldn't get a Wii U release in the first place.

Nintendo isn't ever going to do this, but if they did (and if I could use the gamepad as the screen and a gamepad) I'd buy a WiiU in an instant.

scoobs

So what's the cheapest off the shelf box that will plug into a TV and run the steam client?

Got a laptop of any kind laying around? I'm using my laptop (not even a good one) and its streaming Skyrim (+a million mods + ENB) just fine to my living room. And IT. IS. GLORIOUS.

Pavaloo

Finally got this working. It turns out I did everything right, but my router's WiFi settings were off. The one place I should've looked waaaay sooner lol.

But holy crap my pants have been blown right off. Streaming Batman to my 2009 MacBook pro with gorgeous graphics (scaled down to 720p of course, but it makes the game easier so whatever), minimal stutter, and my dual shock 4 just works without even having to download drivers or anything. So far most games I've tried have been really responsive (AC4, Batman:AO&AC, MGR:R), but non-steam games don't seem to work at all yet. It's cool though, games that my PC can handle at 1080/60 seem to be running really smooth and solid at 720/30. Occasionally it feels like it might jump to 60fps, but we'll see as time goes on. I can't wait to test 1080 on my laptop and plug that into the big screen!

What leap forward for PC gaming, holy moly.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looks hot! Gonna take a wild guess and estimate that I wont be able to do this with my iPad? But how about a 2009 laptop with intel onboard gpu?

And what would be the easiest way to stream to a gadget connected to my TV ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks hot! Gonna take a wild guess and estimate that I wont be able to do this with my iPad? But how about a 2009 laptop with intel onboard gpu?

And what would be the easiest way to stream to a gadget connected to my TV ?

does your 2009 laptop have a HDMI port? Or your TV have a VGA port?

Anteater

Right?

"Oh hai Soony/MS, will you approve this app that literally turns YOUR console into OUR console? KTHXBAI"

I've thought about this, but let's say they are actually making an app like that, I don't think MS and Sony can reject it? I mean it might sound a bit weird but if Valve isn't making profit off their own hardware, and people are using their service on consoles,and they don't mind people buying sony/ms consoles to use their service, it sounds pretty probable.

Baleoce

Wow! I'm not a big streamer... I have a pretty small apartment; and outside of PS4 remote play right before bed on my Vita, I don't really understand the point. But gotta say, Valve's implementation is damn near perfect.

My desktop is my host machine, and the MBP is receiving the stream. Log in on the laptop, and all my games on my desktop are listed. Click one... and it asks if I want to stream. I say yes, and boom, I'm in.

And the latency is VERY low, and the quality is surprisingly nice.

Took a quick YouTube video. The desktop is plugged into my router/modem via Ethernet, then my MBP is connected via WiFi (Wireless N).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jly7aPpJe2M

dayumn. that latency. that's fantastic.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So if this does wind up working on Android...

a reason to buy an Ouya?

Or a FireTV for the better controller :p

But yeah, as someone said to me earlier in the thread, apparently there are already solutions to this, like Limelight which works with NVidia GPUs and let's you stream BPM, some guy here plays Titanfall using the Ouya controller

I would hope if (when) Steam release an Android app for this, it can run smoothly without a wired connection to the router :D

Or a FireTV for the better controller :p

But yeah, as someone said to me earlier in the thread, apparently there are already solutions to this, like Limelight which works with NVidia GPUs and let's you stream BPM, some guy here plays Titanfall using the Ouya controller

I would hope if (when) Steam release an Android app for this, it can run smoothly without a wired connection to the router :D

Well, depends what you regard as smooth. Iirc with streaming through Shield Nvidia still recommend full wired setup for 1080p60fps?

In-home Streaming has a little hidden feature that's never mentioned, but once in an beta update log, but is a god-send: X-input emulation for all streaming titles.

Just plug the DS4 into any OSX machine and it'll be as if you just plugged a 360 controller into a windows machine. Entirely plug-n-play.

I use a DS3 on my Retina and it works fine, they have input emulation built in too.

I wonder, does this only work through BPM or through regular desktop view too? Last time Slouken talked about it, it was tied to BPM (and games using SDL).

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540736319748655066/ (you can find his posts in the thread, it's pretty short)

senahorse

Do not all games work with this? Wolfenstein wouldn't render properly and in the resolution settings it had some ungodly resoultion (e.g. 2340453434 x 3243434534) but was no more than 640x480, Strider would only render at 640x480 and Darksiders 2 was 1080P but only 30fps. I have a very powerful gaming PC and running a wired Gb network at home and Steam showed there were no issues with bandwidth or latency.

Do not all games work with this? Wolfenstein wouldn't render properly and in the resolution settings it had some ungodly resoultion (e.g. 2340453434 x 3243434534) but was no more than 640x480, Strider would only render at 640x480 and Darksiders 2 was 1080P but only 30fps. I have a very powerful gaming PC and running a wired Gb network at home and Steam showed there were no issues with bandwidth or latency.

Well in the beta not every game worked, they constantly added support for them, so it might be case here too.

Do I need to install SteamOS in one or both the PC's to try this ?

No. For the host you need Windows (for now), for the client it can be anything as long as Steam is running on it.

senahorse

Well in the beta not every game worked, they constantly added support for them, so it might be case here too.

No. For the host you need Windows (for now), for the client it can be anything as long as Steam is running on it.

Ah great, probably not just me then :). Either way, it's a great start.

RulkezX

No you just need to install the steam client and log onto your account on both machines, as far as I know.

Thanks.

I guess I'll try this when I get home :)

Top Bottom