• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Steam Home Streaming is AMAZING !!!

Are both on the same router, and signed into the same Steam account?

It HAS to be the same router too. If it's anything like a router-to-switch setup like I had, it won't see anything plugged into the switch, if the host is plugged directly into the initial router.

I have router to switch with no problems.

strem

I have an old crappy PC hooked up to my big tv for streaming. I fired up tomb raider on my good PC in the basement and ran it perfectly on my old piece of shit.

I will be using this feature a ton to play games like tomb raider on my big tv.

Another reason to never turn on my ps4 again

u8YS2lX.jpg

From my PC to Dell Venue pro 8

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

Rayman

https://t.co/eKvM5z7ylp

Batman

https://vine.co/v/MH0ZMY6qquW

My PC have Nvidia 650 TI boost .

And Dell Venue PRO is a Intel Baytrail

My son sleep (Audio ��)

Not to rain on your parade OP but that batman gif has like 100ms+ delay between you turning the stick to the left and the character reacting

that looks like the opposite of amazing to me

Eknots

Might have to give it a try, has anyone used it on older laptops with integrated graphics? Wonder how much power is used just to display it or if ALL the rendering is done by the main pc

Grief.exe

Not to rain on your parade OP but that batman gif has like 100ms+ delay between you turning the stick to the left and the character reacting

that looks like the opposite of amazing to me

I would imagine its due to the wi-fi connection. In-home streaming really requires a ethernet cable for 1080p/60.

Pavaloo

What problems are you having?

I just can't get my computers to see each other under in-home streaming. If I try restarting steam on the client PC, it will show up on my host PC as "not connected," and either "logged in as different user" or "logged in as me" (this changes inconsistently). If I try restarting steam on my host PC however, it still doesn't show up on the client PC - not even as "not connected."

So far I've:
-made sure both steams are running beta program [uninstalled beta and reinstalled several times as well]
-opened port 27036 on both PCs
-made sure network sharing was on for both PCs and that they're both connected as a home network
-added stream_client.exe to firewall exceptions on both PCs

I feel like there's a simple step that I'm just not seeing.

Alec

Steam Streaming is absolutely amazing, I played the entirety of Dark Souls 2 this way.

I didn't realize Dell made such an affordable tablet running Windows 8.1 Pro. The one and only reason I would pick one up would be for Steam Streaming. Thanks, OP.

Iorv3th

I just can't get my computers to see each other under in-home streaming. If I try restarting steam on the client PC, it will show up on my host PC as "not connected," and either "logged in as different user" or "logged in as me" (this changes inconsistently). If I try restarting steam on my host PC however, it still doesn't show up on the client PC - not even as "not connected."

So far I've:
-made sure both steams are running beta program [uninstalled beta and reinstalled several times as well]
-made sure network sharing was on for both PCs and that they're both connected as a home network

Both on the same router? Wired or wireless?

SnowTeeth

Banned

So far I've:

I had the same issue. According to this thread on the Steam forums a potential fix is achieved by going in to Big Picture mode on both systems. A connection should then establish and you then should be able to stream. It worked for me.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This has probably already been asked, but would it be possible to run games on my Android Smartphone, and use an Xbox controller to play the game? (I have an LG G2).

Even if I couldn't do that now, that could be a cool option for the future.

Chris R

This might be what convinces me to get an AC laptop and router :( Just wish I knew how to limit it to 30fps, games are playable at 60fps but I still get quite a bit of chop.

I haven't even tried it yet, but my two computers keep trying to get me to.

I have no real need for it right now, but I will play around with it in a bit. I imagine it won't like my wi fi set up though. But for something turn based or slow action, it should be fine.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I tried to stream my PC to a Chromebook running Ubuntu and for whatever reason the two machines just cant see each other in Steam.

Just reading back old posts now and it seems like Pavaloo is describing my problem except mine always says not connected on the host PC

Chris R

Just played an hour of Fallout New Vegas and it was terrific for 95% of the time. When I felt the frame drops and chop incoming I'd open my pipboy or vats to not die, good times!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I guess I don't get the whole streaming thing. It does seem like a cool feature but I rarely if ever have any need for this stuff. Glad steam is out of beta today again.

It's great for me because my beefy PC is at my desk while I have a older PC that's hooked up to my projector which is used for media only. This allows me to play PC games on ultra settings on the couch without having to have 2 high end PCs.

wilflare

really looking forward to it working on Android...
I'll hook it up to my Note3 :X and play games using my DS4 :X

wait... how are you guys getting it to work on tablets..?
can the DS4 work on the Surface Pro yet?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I can't get audio to stream over, only video. Any idea why?

Eusis

Goes to crap at 1080p balanced, can be amazing at 720p balanced. Oath in Felghana was a flawless 60 FPS (although the analog control was screwed up - something for Valve or XSEED to look into?) and Lost Coast had a few early hitches but ran great otherwise. Dark Souls 1 was wonky though and didn't really recognize the controller it seemed, while Deus Ex had some erratic skipping even at 720p balanced. I imagine a newer card or i7 rather than i5 would make a huge difference, but as is this is more like what I wanted out of Vita Remote Play. I hope there's some room for the software to be improved on the Vita (or that the 2000 line has better chips or something.)

AEREC

It seems odd that some games stream better than others. Just tried Ikaruga and it was perfect, however Transistor ran like crap.

iavi

It's great for me because my beefy PC is at my desk while I have a older PC that's hooked up to my projector which is used for media only. This allows me to play PC games on ultra settings on the couch without having to have 2 high end PCs.

Yep. Because of this, I actually the developed the mindset of: The less power underneath the TV the better. I await the day of Tegra AndroidTV Units that support both Steam BPM/ and Nvidia Gamestream.

So want the OSX support. Stream to a Mac mini....*Drolls*

You already can? The Mini (OSX) can't be the host, but I imagine it's already an incredible client box.

My post from the other thread.

My host PC
I5-2400 Sandy Bridge
AMD 7870 Tahiti Le
8GB RAM
Cat 5 internet(30Meg)

My Client
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM
Crappy USB WiFi adapter

I got prompts from Steam telling me that my network was slow and my encoding was slow.

I streamed Dark Souls 2 and it wasn't too bad. I would say it looked slightly worse than the PS3 version. It had some major hitches occasionally, but was totally playable. I don't know if it's supposed to matter, but it seemed to run better when I changed the resolution from 1080p to 900p. Playing at 900p gave me black borders though. Over all I think it's very promising.

I tried the beta with skyrim and had awful results :-( Game would freeze and then fill up with artifacts. Also got like 15fps when I could see it running at 60 on my PC. Maybe my internet connection was just shit that night

Grief.exe

I tried to stream my PC to a Chromebook running Ubuntu and for whatever reason the two machines just cant see each other in Steam.

Just reading back old posts now and it seems like Pavaloo is describing my problem except mine always says not connected on the host PC

I was reading the new In Home Streaming info page today and it did say only windows is supported currently. With a little asterisk describing the Linux and Mac versions to come later.

They need to add this to Amazon Fire TV or one of those boxes. Killer app.

Yes!

Yep. Because of this, I actually the developed the mindset of: The less power underneath the TV the better. I await the day of Tegra AndroidTV Units that support both Steam BPM/ and Nvidia Gamestream.

You already can? The Mini (OSX) can't be the host, but I imagine it's already an incredible client box.

Really??? I going to test now with my laptop.

Exuro

I was reading the new In Home Streaming info page today and it did say only windows is supported currently. With a little asterisk describing the Linux and Mac versions to come later.
Nah linux streaming works fine for me.

Unless this is for the non beta client.

Top Bottom