• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. Outsells Super Mario Galaxy (bad thing...?)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
legend166 said:
It sold 8 million copies worldwide.

Over that. Isnt that figure like a year old?

Also to strengthen the fact that 3D mario is also rising, didnt 64 DS outsell Sunshine by like 500k? And had tremendous legs?

lyre

As a fan of local multiplayer with friends, food, and drink over being a single player only basement dwelling shut-in, I'm happy that the superiour game is selling better despite the lack of graphics, orchestral music, story, number of levels, and unnecessary development budget.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
legend166 said:
It sold 8 million copies worldwide.

Should be almost 9 by now. Would have sold more if Nintendo had advertised it a bit more, too, but that's neither here nor there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
How much has New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold worldwide, by the way? I think Japan + USA is around 7 million.

Around 10 mil I think.

To be honest I'm honestly not bitter about either game's performance. Truly, I think NSMBW deserves the sales it gets. I'm somewhat disappointed Galaxy hasn't been the same scale of mega-blockbuster, but it's still done fantastically well. The people saying "HA HA sales!" or "HA HA quality!" for one game or the other are just plain morons, imho.

Forkball said:
Super Mario Galaxy should have sold more. It is the best Mario game after Super Mario World. How are there can be 50 million Wiis sold but only four million copies of SMG managed to be snatched up? If you have a Wii and don't have this game, you are doing it wrong.

Like it or not, some people don't like the 3D Mario series. I hear kids in my store bitch all the time about how lame Galaxy was and how they'd rather play NSMBWii.

So, with that in mind...

dealwithit.gif

Rocksteady33

HK-47 said:
Over that. Isnt that figure like a year old?

Also to strengthen the fact that 3D mario is also rising, didnt 64 DS outsell Sunshine by like 500k? And had tremendous legs?

902+-+Super+Mario+Sunshine+-+GCN

292+-+Super+Mario+64+DS+-+DS

I assumed you were referring to Japan.

AniHawk

lyre said:
As a fan of local multiplayer with friends, food, and drink over being a single player only basement dwelling shut-in, I'm happy that the superiour game is selling better despite the lack of graphics, orchestral music, story, number of levels, and unnecessary development budget.

Story? NSMBW's lack of a story (compared to SMG) is one of the great things about the game.

DR2K

Banned
farnham said:
whatever sells the most is their flagship

So Wii Sports?

Not a fan of NSMBwii, also Galaxy is easily one of the best games of all time, so from that perspective it's a shame a lot of people missed out on Galaxy.

NSMB on DS felt and looked like nintendo threw some young designers a bone and the best they could come up with was an uninspired copy of a classic gameplay trope.

the wii "copy" is therefor a copy of a copy which is like if ya mans copied a tape for you but it was a copy from a copy and not that hot.

upandaway

Well we did get like 10 different 3D Mario games between two 2D Mario games. I don't think Nintendo will stop making them suddenly.

A great commercially successful game sells more than another great commercially successful game. What is the issue?

I wonder how many posters shouting "NSMBW is casual and just banks on nostalgia to sell!" are the same ones in Sonic threads going "Why won't Sega go back to the good ol' days when Sonic was great!".

legend166

Barkley's Justice said:
NSMB on DS felt and looked like nintendo threw some young designers a bone and the best they could come up with was an uninspired copy of a classic gameplay trope.

the wii "copy" is therefor a copy of a copy which is like if ya mans copied a tape for you but it was a copy from a copy and not that hot.

turrrble

Dogenzaka

Banned
AniHawk said:
I don't think you've played NSMB DS, NSMBW, or SMB if you think the first two are a remake of anything.

Well more of a retread.
I've played all 3 as well as Super Mario Galaxy.
New Super Mario Bros. for DS was all about revisiting the roots of the original Super Mario Bros..hence...the "New".

And NSMB Wii retreaded THAT except tacked-on a local multiplayer (not discrediting its fun) and called it a day.

NSMB Wii is as much a remake as the previous Mario games as Uncharted 2 is a remake of Uncharted 1.

I can agree with this.
Though I'm not complaining :p Uncharted 1 and 2 are fun.
Too bad they'll never hit the sales of NSMBWii.

Which is the tragedy, I suppose.

BowieZ

Banned
AniHawk said:
Story? NSMBW's lack of a story (compared to SMG) is one of the great things about the game.
I think that was his point.

"Less is more," "addition by subtraction," and all that... :)

Dogenzaka said:
Well more of a retread.
New Super Mario Bros. for DS was all about revisiting the roots of the original Super Mario Bros..hence...the "New".

And NSMB Wii retreaded THAT except tacked-on a local multiplayer (not discrediting its fun) and called it a day.
And the double standard for Nintendo sequels lives on...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
upandaway said:
Well we did get like 10 different 3D Mario games between two 2D Mario games. I don't think Nintendo will stop making them suddenly.

We did??

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy

I mean, you can toss Super Mario 64 DS and Luigi's Mansion in there if you want, but that seems a bit silly in the context of the thread...

If you're referring to the various sports, kart, etc. etc. etc. titles, then the point is still invalid given that 2D Mario titles continued to be pumped out on the Game Boy, GBC, GBA, and DS.

I don't think it's possible to come up with 10 "3D Mario games" coming out in a row without a single "2D Mario game" breaking up the list... heck, I'm somewhat surprised if you can make it past three...

BowieZ

Banned
Does anyone have the quote where Miyamoto (or whoever it was) talked about the direct DS sequel to NSMBDS?

Wasn't that going to possibly be 3D?

Whatever happens, I think we're all in store for some imaginative evolutions in the Mario platformer franchise post-Galaxy 2 era.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Dogenzaka said:
Well more of a retread.

NSMBWii feels completely different from NSMB and from SMB. You sure you played it???

If anything it feels more like SMB3 with some of the elements from world plus a whole lot of new things for a mario game. Despite the fact that it looks like the DS game a bit, it feels completely different...

BowieZ

Banned
amtentori said:
NSMBWii feels completely different from NSMB and from SMB. You sure you played it???

If anything it feels more like SMB3 with some of the elements from world plus a whole lot of new things for a mario game. Despite the fact that it looks like the DS game a bit, it feels completely different...
Don't forget the handful of Yoshi's Island (SNES) elements, not that that game is a "Mario" game of course...... <_<

Nessus

I don't get all the people calling NSMBW a complete retread or copy of existing Mario games.

Did they not see all the brand new scenarios that have never appeared in another platforming game?

If so, what is their complaint? That Mario still jumps from one platform to the next?

Looking back I think it may have even introduced more new platforming mechanics than any previous 2D Mario game (perhaps a tied with Yoshi's Island).

Vagabundo

And Nintendo continues to roll and giggle while rolling on a bed full of money.

Anyway 2d> 3D, but their both awesome games, I think N will do both from now on.

Mael

Even in single player, nSMBw is a better designed game than Galaxy, no surprise that the better game outsells the other :/
(seriously some stars in Galaxy were less than necessary and felt like padding, no such things in nSMBw).
And seriously as much as I love Galaxy (a lot), nSMB is a much more replayable game and is something that gets exponentially better the more you add players.
the only part that Galaxy does better is the music.

Big One

Banned
Personally I'm glad both sold really well, both are really some of the best in the Mario catalogue. While I do consider Galaxy to be the more innovative game in design, whenever the Reggie level editor for NSMB Wii comes out it's pretty much going to become the most replayable Mario game yet. One can only hope we see something like that in a sequel with online integration.

BowieZ

Banned
Big One said:
Personally I'm glad both sold really well, both are really some of the best in the Mario catalogue. While I do consider Galaxy to be the more innovative game in design, whenever the Reggie level editor for NSMB Wii comes out it's pretty much going to become the most replayable Mario game yet. One can only hope we see something like that in a sequel with online integration.
Indeed. Not that Mario should go in the EXACT same direction, but all credit to its Sony brethren, I kinda do hope that the next fully fledged Mario game/franchise/whatever is, sorta like, LittleBigMushroomKingdom... <_<

Mael

BowieZ said:
Indeed. Not that Mario should go in the EXACT same direction, but all credit to its Sony brethren, I kinda do hope that the next fully fledged Mario game/franchise/whatever is, sorta like, LittleBigMushroomKingdom... <_<

Huh, seriously let's hope it never get that way.
If there's one thing that would kill Mario that would be user created content, the VAST majority of user made hacks are beneath crap and nearly all of them are less fun to pay than the levels from the original game....
Less user created content, more professional content.
I mean I'd prefer they put in DLC were you download more levels (or an episodic game where you get a few levels each weeks) over stuffs were you're basically playing some hard as hell levels badly designed.
Mario is not a game to express yourself.

I don't think it's a bad thing, but I do hope Nintendo doesn't misinterpret what makes NSMB Wii a great (successful) game. They could probably afford to be less slavishly adherent to certain established themes and still be wildly successful. Their output this generation has me a bit concerned that they've gotten in the habit of mixing up oversimplification with accessibility, and as awesome as it is (and it is awesome) NSMB Wii is no exception. I don't buy into the "Nintendo has gotten lazy" argument, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not ready for games with more idiosyncrasies that push some new boundaries.

BowieZ

Banned
Mael said:
Huh, seriously let's hope it never get that way.
If there's one thing that would kill Mario that would be user created content, the VAST majority of user made hacks are beneath crap and nearly all of them are less fun to pay than the levels from the original game....
Less user created content, more professional content.
I mean I'd prefer they put in DLC were you download more levels (or an episodic game where you get a few levels each weeks) over stuffs were you're basically playing some hard as hell levels badly designed.
Mario is not a game to express yourself.
Says who? Mario is a mascot, not a game, and he acts as one of Nintendo's many bridges in getting people to play the types of games they might not ordinarily. Mario is different things to different people. And we can't rule out what Mario will be in the future.

As LBP has shown, there are indeed skilled and/or imaginative everyday designers out there in the world and there's no reason the same "play-create-share" philosophy can't be adopted by Mario platforming.

But again, I'd prefer it if Mario went it its own unique direction, building on but not copying certain philosophies established as popular in recent years.
And certainly not copying LBP's floaty player physics.

If you are somehow angry with NSMBwii outperforming Galaxy then I suggest you give Iwata Asks: NSMBwii (another?) read and just be happy with how the game-designing relationship between Toshihiko Nagako, Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka was salvaged for the creation of this game.

I hope that these three work together on a 3D mario someday.

Mael

BowieZ said:
Says who? Mario is a mascot, not a game, and he acts as one of Nintendo's many bridges in getting people to play the types of games they might not ordinarily. Mario is different things to different people. And we can't rule out what Mario will be in the future.

As LBP has shown, there are indeed skilled and/or imaginative everyday designers out there in the world and there's no reason the same "play-create-share" philosophy can't be adopted by Mario platforming.

But again, I'd prefer it if Mario went it its own unique direction, building on but not copying certain philosophies established as popular in recent years.
And certainly not copying LBP's floaty player physics.

What made Mario a mascot?
Aside from Band Brothers there's NO exemple of user created content having commercial success. If we're talking about the 2d platformer with Mario it cannot work as user created content (without Nintendo making the source code open source.....yeah like that's happening).
And I'm not talking of a 2d platformer with a level editor but a full on user created content 2d platformer where you can design the traps and not just rearrange the templates given to you.
Heck most of the traps seen in nSMBw could NOT have been made with a hack of Mario World.
If user created content was such a great asset to games for the general public Lbp would have been a MASSIVE success, Wiimusic would have been an evergreen title and Wii would be sold out for most of 2009. Majesco would be doing Blast Works 2 right now.

upandaway

Mael said:
Heck most of the traps seen in nSMBw could NOT have been made with a hack of Mario World.
You have not seen a Mario World hack in your life. You have no idea how much new ideas in NSMBW happened first in hacks (so much that I might think Nintendo looked at some of them as inspiration).

That's possible because Mario hacks get into the code of the game to alter it. That's why computer-derived hacking will always be superior to in game editors.

Kujo

I do like the 2D Marios, but I just hope they've got this 'NEW' naming scheme out of their system. Call the next one Super Mario Universe or something.

While Galaxy is great and all, I still prefer the way 2D Marios play and feel so I'm pretty much down with this. Also, it might give Nintendo an incentive to abandon the Super Mario 64 formula for future 3D Mario games because it was quite clearly born from the N64's space/hardware limitations. I would really love a 3D Mario game with the same mechanics as the 2D games (becoming super by collecting mushrooms, every level is unique, etc.) and I think Nintendo might very well be able to pull it off.

Mael

upandaway said:
You have not seen a Mario World hack in your life. You have no idea how much new ideas in NSMBW happened first in hacks (so much that I might think Nintendo looked at some of them as inspiration).

That's possible because Mario hacks get into the code of the game to alter it. That's why computer-derived hacking will always be superior to in game editors.

The movememnts of the blocks in the ghost houses? the movement of the sea in the beach lvls? all the motion controlled platforms? the cloud of death? the ice stalactites? the rotating switches that unveils stuffs? false doors? I can go on forever, show me something like that (seriously I'm interested :)).
Heck without going into nsmbw, you could do a level close to one found in Yoshi's Island using any game engine from a game released prior to YI.
The lvl design in platform games are slaves to the mechanics put into the game engine, since you cannot change the way the engine works with user creater content games you're basically making different layout of the same levels, hardly exciting :/

nightez

Banned
This is a sign that old skool hardcore 2D gaming is coming back.

3D platformers are just simply too simplified, too mainstream and too casual. They're no tricky parts, its almost impossible to fall. There's hardly any serious platforming in them, its all adventure and collecting items.

`

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
WHY has the existence of New Super Mario Bros. Wii caused so much of an uproar between its unveiling and now? Why did games being fun suddenly take a backseat to graphics, music and general presentation so much that even a Mario game has to suffer the slings of arrows for it?

I love both games, and I'm glad we got a new 2D console Mario as well as a sequel to Galaxy. Galaxy juuuuuuuuuuust about edges it out for me over NSMBWii, but NSMBWii is still tremendously fun, challenging and meaty, but people are so afraid of the fact that it contains a rather basic graphic style (which never seemed to bother people when all the previous 2D Mario games, with the glorious exception of Yoshi's Island, sported them) and chirpy MIDI music that the mere suggestion that people ENJOY it more than its flashy, trumpeting cousin sends them into defensive spasms and frothing hatred for stuff not marching the advance of technology forward (see: IGN)

Despite their current reputation Nintendo, like all games companies, do still have a desire to push technology and create immersive worlds, ignoring the glaring truth of the Wii's hardware capabilities for a minute, and package them up in a well polished and nearly flawless manner. This is why they are still making full blown 3D adventure games out of Mario and Zelda even alongside their less ambitious counterparts. In fact it's great that they have kept the market open for several different interpretations of the same franchise to be successful which everyone can enjoy. People hoping for one or the other to be cancelled in favour of the other are being selfish and God willing I hope they never include people who run this damn industry too.

theluma

Galaxy is the better game, but ultimately NSMB got more marketing, has multiplayer, is all about what Nintendo is going for this gen, and in the grand scheme of things, probably appeals to more people.

CozMick

Banned
Going from what my family thinks {your typical NDS advert family} NSMBWii is leaps and bounds more fun to play than Galaxy.

Not that I think NSMBWii is a better game however.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
CozMick said:
Going from what my family thinks {your typical NDS advert family} NSMBWii is leaps and bounds more fun to play than Galaxy.
Yeah, for some reason every non-gamer person I know who's played Galaxy is lukewarm towards it. I'm not sure why. A lot of them barely played the game.

I think the initial slowness for the game to get going is a big factor.

Will be interesting to see how Super Mario Galaxy 2 does with such a huge increased installed base. It will have 15+ million more people over the original to sell to by the time it's released this holiday season

LosDaddie

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Mario Galaxy 2 is coming.

So, no. 3D Mario isn't going anywhere.

Does that mean that 2D and 3D games can ...*GASP*....co-exist???

Could be!

Pretty much what I came to say.

3D Marios aren't going anywhere. No need to worry or panic.

cvxfreak

I think Nintendo systems from here on out should launch with a 3D Mario and then come out with a 2D Mario 2-3 years later.

Vinci

Danish
If NSMB Wii outselling Mario Galaxy comes as a surprise to anyone,... I don't know. That takes a special kind of crazy to think it wouldn't. Damn thing is going to sell on par with Wii Fit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cvxfreak said:
I think Nintendo systems from here on out should launch with a 3D Mario and then come out with a 2D Mario 2-3 years later.

That actually makes good business sense. Launch hype would sell the 3D Mario and 2D Mario would sell regardless.

Vinci

Danish
Andrex said:
That actually makes good business sense. Launch hype would sell the 3D Mario and 2D Mario would sell regardless.

2D Mario also acts as a nice 3rd anniversary kick in the pants for the system, whether it's selling like shit or not.

Mael said:
What made Mario a mascot?
Aside from Band Brothers there's NO exemple of user created content having commercial success.
[...]
If user created content was such a great asset to games for the general public Lbp would have been a MASSIVE success, Wiimusic would have been an evergreen title and Wii would be sold out for most of 2009. Majesco would be doing Blast Works 2 right now.

There are games like MSTS or MSFS that basically lived on user created content. Also look up RPG Maker, and MUDs in general of course, or even Forza 2/3 for how user created content can be done right. That you don't know about something doesn't really mean it doesn't exist.

Top Bottom