• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Super Mario Galaxy Famitsu scans

Cygnus X-1

Tristam said:
Technically speaking, Intelligent Systems is a first party developer for Nintendo.

-_-

I know. the questions was: when Nintendo formed the Tokyo Studio, where come the guys from ? I'm sure the majority of them weren't new entries.

Tristam said:
By the way:
Confirmation of warp pipes. I was hoping they'd be in the game!

Oh shit. I didn't notice it !

Tristam

Cygnus X-1 said:
-_-

I know. the questions was: when Nintendo formed the Tokyo Studio, where come the guys from ? I'm sure the majority of them weren't new entries.

Oh shit. I didn't notice it !

Ah, I see. Well yeah they've got some veterans there like Koizumi. I'm guessing most of them are from EAD (Kyoto).

Feindflug

Looks f***in' amazing!!! I can't wait for this game.

I'm getting a Wii (I've played TP & RE4 on my sister's Wii) the day this beauty comes out! :D

Akai

Cygnus X-1 said:
A bunch of people from various devs like SE, Konami, etc, and then the Mario Sunshine team, I think...

Cygnus X-1

Tristam said:
Ah, I see. Well yeah they've got some veterans there like Koizumi. I'm guessing most of them are from EAD (Kyoto).

Koizumi ?

Koizumi2001.jpg

I'm joking lol

Neomoto

I don't know for sure but I remember reading that the Super Mario Sunshine guys went to EAD Tokyo to form part of it. Oh, and according to Wikipedia (yeah..) Yoshiaki Koizumi directed Super Mario Sunshine, followed by Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and now the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy (which add more to the first part of the post).

Tristam

Neomoto said:
I don't know for sure but I remember reading that the Super Mario Sunshine guys went to EAD Tokyo to form part of it. Oh, and according to Wikipedia (yeah..) Yoshiaki Koizumi directed Super Mario Sunshine, followed by Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and now the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy (which add more to the first part of the post).

Koizumi's been at EAD for years. His first project was A Link to the Past.

Cygnus X-1

Neomoto said:

Very interesting. Thanks ! I have the convinction that sunshine could have been a much better game if Nintendo had a little bit more time to polish it.

Scrubking

My hype for this game is increasing to uncontrolable levels.

Anyway, is there any new info found among the pics? Translation?

Syth_Blade22 said:
oh rosetta!

She'll be a summery girl...and she'll have hair. She'll have summery friends that'll always be outside. She'll play Tennis and wear dresses and have bare feet! And in the autumn, i'll ditch her! 'Cos she's my summer girl!
Dylan_Moran.jpg

Scrubking said:
My hype for this game is increasing to uncontrolable levels.

Anyway, is there any new info found among the pics? Translation?

Mario`s Great Space Adventure

For the first time in eight months, new screens! Introducing Super Mario Galaxy!

Big, small, travel around all kinds of planets to rescue Princess Peach!!

Peach is in trouble...again! To save the dragged-off Peach, Mario jumps into space! The platforming action spreads to new locales as Mario travels between planets large and small and faces off against enemies new and old. What kind of adventure lies in wait this time?

Freely Run About on the Surface

Every planet has challenges and things to explore. Planets come in all shapes and sizes, and have various gadgets. Sometimes there are platforms to travel across, too.

Inside, too!?

Mario runs up and down the walls of this stage as gravity changes direction. Is this the inside of a star?

Space is full of gadgets and bad guys!

To save Princess Peach, Mario jumps into space and develops new powers, fights tough baddies and uses tonnes of gadgets to morph and take on challenges. Let`s introduce the mysterious worlds and characters that he will meet during this adventure!

Lady of Mystery: Rosetta

Out of the light comes the lady of mystery, Rosetta - a woman of translucent beauty. If Mario falls for her, will Peach escape by herself and lay into him!? She doesn`t seem like a baddie: does Mario receive new powers from her?

Bowser and Petey Pirahna!

Some familiar faces power up. Bowser`s fire breath, is always, terrifying, but it`s a shock to see that Petey has developed almost dinosaur levels of power.

Travel through Water

Mario can travel rapidly through water with a Koopa shell. Are those Torpedo Teds chasing him from behind!?

Wrecked Spaceship

Mario travels the surface of a wrecked spaceship. Ambushed by enemies from four directions, he seems to be in a bit of a pinch. Better escape quickly and rush off to find Peach!

Castle of the Queen of the Bees

The kindly queen doesn`t seem like an enemy, but this `FLY` meter is a bit worrying...

The Gigantic Insect Tucks In!?

This insect moves from apple to apple, digging right in! There is really nothing but mysterious places here.

(Series history)
(E3 data)

Boiiing! Jump from Star to Star!

Using this star-like device, Mario can progress by jumping from planet to planet. Each stage is made up of several tiny planets dotted all over the place. While travelling between them, the pointer can be used to attract elastic collectibles to Mario, like playing Pachinko. Space is loaded with all kinds of gadgets!

Move with the Pointer!

The stars in the centres of these spherical bodies are called "Star Catchers". Mario can fluffily float through space by connecting between them. Choose which point to travel to next using the pointer.

Collect Stars for a 1-Up!

When the damage meter in the top-right of the screen is emptied, Mario will sadly perish. Still, if you collect the "Star Pieces" that are scattered all over the place, Mario will get a 1-Up! Collect loads to avoid Game Over. On top of that, it seems Star Pieces can be used to power a special attack. But what kind of attack could that possibly be?

Neomoto

Tristam said:
Koizumi's been at EAD for years. His first project was A Link to the Past.
Yes, but I whas referring to the "Sunshine team" and the games afterwards regarding the EAD Tokyo team (so Sunshine, DK:JB and Galaxy).

Cygnus X-1 said:
Very interesting. Thanks ! I have the convinction that sunshine could have been a much better game if Nintendo had a little bit more time to polish it.
I believe that too. Regardless, I think Sunshine is still one of the best last-gen platformers made eventhough it had some flaws and could have been better but that's another story. :p Thankfully they can take all the time they need with Galaxy and it shows with every bit of media we get.

Meier

Game of a decade. Game of a lifetime. Game of a century. Whatever, Mario Galaxy is it. MARIO GALAXY AND MASS EFFECT IN THE SAME MONTH... AHHHH *explodes*

Snaku

Banned
SMG is so beautiful to look at. Rosetta looks great. I wonder what her story is, and if she'll be in Brawl?

Olaeh

Jungle Beat team is godly. I can't wait for this, my most anticipated game in a LONG time- I can't remember the last time I was so incredibly hyped for a game.

CrisKre

If the rosetta pic is in game that is an AMAZING model. This game delivers. I need to go on a media blockout but im WEAK! hahaha

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess it's not Peach. Well, Rosetta is a nice addition.

I stand corrected while Mario stands erected.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dude said:
I kinda feel bad for the third parties, they just ran out of excuses...
All platforms have stand out games (visually) that often remain unmatched by others efforts. Rogue Squadron II GC, for instance, was far ahead of pretty much anything else on the GC until RSIII was released. What about XBOX? Games like Wreckless were WAY ahead of anything else at the time of release and then later titles like Riddick only further impressed. Same deal with PS2 and some of its best games.

I'm sure this will be the case with Mario Galaxy...

BBunny

Cygnus X-1 said:

N-Sider.com said:
... recently formed EAD Tokyo studio that Nintendo hopes will create some very innovative and fresh titles. Yoshiaki Koizumi and Takao Shimizu, who worked on Super Mario Sunshine as director and assistant director respectively, head Nintendo's Tokyo studio.

MrShimizuMrKoizumi.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shaheed79 said:
It's like the real mario team took a decade long vacation then came back and said "f**k dis sh*t it's time to get our title back.".

Well said.

Btw, anyone have that Super Princess Peach photoshop Jarosh did a while ago, where he made her look a bit more...voluptuous? <_<

GDGF

Soothsayer
dark10x said:
All platforms have stand out games (visually) that often remain unmatched by others efforts. Rogue Squadron II GC, for instance, was far ahead of pretty much anything else on the GC until RSIII was released. What about XBOX? Games like Wreckless were WAY ahead of anything else at the time of release and then later titles like Riddick only further impressed. Same deal with PS2 and some of its best games.

I'm sure this will be the case with Mario Galaxy...

You're not really basing this on anything, though. I can just as easily say that Nintendo's never really had the reputation as a company that has pushed graphics on their hardware, whereas Factor 5 has always been known as a graphics powerhouse since the Amiga days.

It's as if Nintendo found a bottle of concentrated awesomeness and poured it all over the game.

As for why it looks better than pretty much every wii game, im almost certain that in the original developer documents there was a typo and instead of saying "The Wii's graphics capabilities = Gamecube Graphics x 2" it said "The Wii's graphics capabilities = Gamecube Graphics / 2" either that or developers are just really ****ing lazy... I'm gonna be nice though and give them the benefit of the doubt.

O_O

*enters thread*

I_I

*clicks first thumbnail*

@_@

*clicks second thumbn . . .*

;_;

so beautiful . . . so beautiful . . . so beautiful

Terrell

I'm going to take a guess that this Rosetta woman is Peach's never-aging mother. Wouldn't that be something?

But yeah, Mario Galaxy is so good at this point that it must be fattening.

AntMurda

I can just as easily say that Nintendo's never really had the reputation as a company that has pushed graphics on their hardware, whereas Factor 5 has always been known as a graphics powerhouse since the Amiga days.

WTF. That is complete nonsense. Factor 5 wasn't a graphic powerhouse on the Amiga, SNES or Genesis. It wasn't until the Rogue Squadron engine (developed a by new set of programmers) that the company has become technologically relevant.

Nintendo has produced countless of of technically sound games that pushed the envelope of the hardware at the time. Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pilotwings, F-Zero etc.

GDGF

Soothsayer
AntMurda said:
WTF. That is complete nonsense. Factor 5 wasn't a graphic powerhouse on the Amiga, SNES or Genesis. It wasn't until the Rogue Squadron engine (developed a by new set of programmers) that the company has become technologically relevant.

Nintendo has produced countless of of technically sound games that pushed the envelope of the hardware at the time. Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pilotwings, F-Zero etc.

The Turrican games were always pretty damn awesome looking. I can't remember an ugly Factor 5 game (when considering the competitions timeframe) Even that one arena playstation one game that I can't recall the name of was doing some interesting things for it's time. Nintendo has done some great games (and don't take this the wrong way, as I am one of the biggest Nintendo fans on this forum) but they've never really been considered a graphical powerhouse. Their games have always looked solid, colorful, and have always had a great art style. That's always been their strength. It's the strength of the majority of the games you've listed above. (save for Super Mario 64 which was the best looking game on the console until Ocarina came out) But third parties were usually the ones who pushed the graphics of the hardware Nintendo created.

Top Bottom