• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to VR and I want to throw up any suggestions?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Was so excited to get my PS2VR setup and installed. Started playing some games and within 5 minutes felt sick. Can GAF please tell me or give me some insight how to learn to enjoy or train my brain to use VR. One thing I noticed was turning is horrible the jumping to positions immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy which messes me up also. I was playing After the Fall.

Does the Quest or other VR's different or am I just one of those who will not be able to enjoy it.

You should start with a game where you only move your arms. If you're talking about Horizon, I had to turn on click turning and I'm used to vr. That games smooth turning will get anyone woosy.
Also don't be hot or hungry. Ginger helps. So ginger chews help.

The mistake most newbies make is wanting to jump into games like Horizon or GT7 or RE8 . . . you need your vr legs before playing those.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Was so excited to get my PS2VR setup and installed. Started playing some games and within 5 minutes felt sick. Can GAF please tell me or give me some insight how to learn to enjoy or train my brain to use VR. One thing I noticed was turning is horrible the jumping to positions immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy which messes me up also. I was playing After the Fall.

Does the Quest or other VR's different or am I just one of those who will not be able to enjoy it.
You gotta start slowly and build up your VR legs with simpler games. I believe the PSVR subreddit has a good guide on this too.

Start with games that you don't move much or at all, then to games where you move in the game space, but not controlling movement.

Eventually you can start playing slower movement games. Also, make sure you try the various accessibility and comfort options available in most games. Options like blinders or vignette on the side, head bobbing, etc.

When it comes to controllers and movement methods:
  • Direction movement will either be head based (where you are looking) or hand/controller based (where you are doing your hands or weapon).
  • Character movement will either be full locomotion or teleportation.
  • Character turning will either be smooth or snap (in increments).
All of these will be personal preference.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, this is something that takes time to adjust to. I recommend playing simpler games just to get used to it, like Job Simulator was one I played a lot when I first got my VR device.

The jumping to different positions is actually much better for navigation as opposed to free movement for most people starting out, which is why a lot of VR games have that setup.

Last edited:

A.Romero

It's something that you can beat over time but it truly sucks while you are getting there.

I'd recommend start with games with a fixed position like Ace Combat or driving simulation and start from there. Try to play at least 30 minutes a day.

ZoukGalaxy

Best advice I can give you is to go slowly, play short session at first and don't hesitate to use confort options and gradually disable them, you will get used with no time.
Play slowly paced game/"walking simulator" first and then play action games, if any of them are in your interest.

That games smooth turning will get anyone woosy.
That's not true, a lof of us are immune to that or/and get used with experience and without ginger.

Playing since PSVR1 and can't imagine playing gaming without smooth movement, I hate with passion jump movement/teleportation.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
One thing I noticed was turning is horrible the jumping to positions immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy which messes me up also.
Welcome to VR.
The movement is shit and always will be.
There simply is no way to have player-controlled movement in that environment that feels natural. Similar for controls - some games want you to "feel" like you are holding and swinging a heavy sword, for example, but you obviously just feel the flimsy weight of the controller.
Your brain wants the experience to be a holo deck, but it's just not possible.

I have played about a dozen VR games by now and this will never get better, VR will always collide with what your brain knows is really going on.
Ignore the people who want to tell you it gets better.
The motion sickness, if you experience it, does get better. Everything else does not.

The best you can do is play games that have no player-controlled movement at all or extremely little, such as Beat Saber, Crisis Brigade, Pistol Whip, etc.
Those are really fun and you'll only very rarely run into things that will completely break your immersion.

Last edited:
Best advice I can give you is too go slowly, play short session at first and don't hesitate to use confort option and gradually disable them, you will get used with no time.

That's not true, a lof of us are immune to that or/and get used with experience and without ginger.

Playing since PSVR1 and can't imagine playing gaming without smooth movement, I hate with passion jump movement/teleportation.
I play every game with smooth turning and full locomotion. Horizon is the only game that gets to me some still.

Crayon

Tips-

-Start with games where you stand in one place.
-The key is to play as much as you can and take the thing off the second you feel sick.
-Try an air-sick pill like dramamine. You won't have to depend on it. It'll just let you spend more time in there without getting sick to adjust.
-Teleport movement does help a lot, but it's not neccesarily this horrible concession to motion sickness that people seem to think. I don't get motion sick but when available, I pick it probabaly 3/4 times.
-Similar for snap turning. It deters motion sickness but I prefer it anyhow.

Last edited:

peish

IMO there is nothing you can do if you are born with motion sickness.

Except for taking a chill pill that suppress it, but it makes you dry and detached for awhile

Three

Games like Rush of Blood and the dark pictures rush of blood have movement but you are sitting in one place. Games like these make adjusting to VR easier.

Minsc

Gold Member
Play something like Tetris Effect or Moss that doesn't have full movement for now, those shouldn't bother you.

I used Village to get my VR legs, over a few weeks and finished it to completion with no issues. Start with:
Vignetting + Snap turning, after a few days move to
Vignetting + analog stick movement, after a few more days move to
No vignetting + analog stick movement, turn setting for me was on 6.

Keep your sessions short and replay similar areas. It's not a race, and once you get to no vignetting + analog moving it's good times. I would choose a VR game over a flat one every time. Also get your legs playing standing not sitting, I do believe that helps quite a bit, and makes it feel more natural as you can turn your body to turn etc.

Last edited:

GHG

Beat saber or pistol whip are always the 2 that I suggest for people starting out.

What you should also do is turn off the awful snap turning which is usually on by default in a lot of VR games and also disable teleportation movement.

Deerock71

Animated GIF

Interfectum

Step 1: Take ginger supplement 20 minutes before playing.
Step 2: Play until you are almost nauseated then immediately stop.
Step 3: Take a 30 minute break.
Step 4: Go to step 2.

A few of these over a couple of days and you should be fine. Do NOT try to power through the nausea on VR as it will only make your mind associate the two more.

Last edited:

MastAndo

PSVR2 was my first time playing any sort of VR. I tried Horizon Call of the Mountain first and felt like I was on roller skates. I didn't exactly feel sick, so it may be different for you, but I legitimately felt uneasy and almost fell over a few times. Try playing a rhythm game where you're stationary like Beat Saber or Pistol Whip. It takes a while to get your VR legs.

Last edited:
You got to crawl before you walk. Did you get any demo games to play? Usually those are designed for beginners and helps you build your VR legs. I would stick with limited movement setting. Lower your turning speed. Use teleporting first before full locomotion. The more you play, the more your brain gets comfortable with moving in a 3-D. Make sure you're in a cool tempature room. Racing games are one of the easiest for a beginner from my experienece.

Last edited:
I'm very sensitive to motion sickness so just play stationary stuff like Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Mini Golf, What the Bat, etc. I have a good enough time with those.

My kids adjust to it so fast, they're full on barreling around in Gorilla Tag going crazy. I went in to it for 30 seconds one time to turn off the voice chat for them and almost fell over.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just be patient and go for short sessions. Also, get Red Matter 2, that game is smooth as fuck and will probably be the easiest thing on your brain while you get used to it.

Unfortunately games in VR default to snap turning and all kinds of other vignette and teleportation shit that can actually make motion sickness worse. Explore the options and troubleshoot things to see what works for you. Basically you'll want smooth turning, no vignette, etc.

Please remember to be patient, VR is a strange beast at first and can honestly seem like an expensive mistake but if you stick with it, you'll get your sea legs and all the awkward feelings will dissipate.

Check out the PSVR2 OT as well, a few of us are always bumping it with new info and we're all more than happy to help with any issues you have.

Last edited:

Trilobit

One thing I noticed was turning is horrible the jumping to positions immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy which messes me up also.

Chris Pratt What GIF

One thing I noticed was turning is horrible, the jumping to positions is immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy, which messes me up also.

Don't be afraid to use commas, they are your friends.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  1. Start with a game that doesn't have locomotion, e.g., Beat Saber.
  2. Then graduate to playing a game where the other character and the camera comes, not you, e.g., Moss.
  3. Have a fan pointed at your face. That helps.
  4. You can use chewing gum while playing VR games as that also helps.
  5. Play only in small sessions until you build your VR legs.
  6. If you get nauseated, stop playing immediately. The VR stamina is built gradually. Your brain rewires, and it's a gradual process.
Stick to it. Eventually, you will be able to play for longer sessions. And then one day the nausea will just go away forever.

No need to get that sick, start with cockpit based games. Basically, don't try to stand up and walk around in VR. Play some racing game where you're comfortably sitting down. Helps if you have steering wheel for better immersion, but it's also ok if you don't.
Once you start feeling tired, just stop and take a break. Don't wait until you're literally nauseous before you stop.
In a few weeks you'll be good to go for hours.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You have to get your "VR Legs". When I got my Quest 2 I first played Beat Saber and everything went fine because it's stationary. Then I switched to Drunken Bar Fights and I was having a ton of fun, and using the free movement, and after like 20min. I got soooo fucking motion sick. I puked in the front yard and felt dizzy even the next day.

I didn't truly get my VR legs until RE4VR. In order to avoid motion sickness I would turn my body in the direction I wanted to go and act like I was walking/running by marching in place. It really helped my brain. I would also immediately stop playing if I felt motion sick, then return after a break. After a few days of that I broke through and got my VR legs and from there I could play anything. The only thing that got me a little was the game Resist that has you swinging by buildings, sometimes spinning out of control at close proximity and that would make me a little motion sick.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What you need is room-scale VR experiences. And plenty of space to play them, so you actually get to use your real legs and body and move around in scenes. I'd recommend a games like SuperHot for that, or more immersive experiences like The Room VR which is surprisingly good. Boneworks/Bonelab can be great for it.

Although the PSVR2 cable might impeded true room-scale experiences a bit, I don't know.

XXL

Start with stationery games or slow moving games.

Beat Saber
Pistol Whip
Kayak VR
Zombieland

Those would all be good picks.

Don't start with Horizon, GT7, RE8 or anything like that right now. You will be able to play them soon, as it doesn't take long to get adjusted.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

PSVR2 is one of the if not the worst persistence from all VR headsets in the industry, which can make some peoples sick (happened to sadlyitsbradley and he's got VR legs since a long time).

So to narrow it down if its impacting you or improving the situation, turn to turn off the screen brightness

K2D

Banned
Start slow and NEVER try to push through VR sickness. With steady progression you will build up tolerance. Some swear to having a fan blow air at you while playing, but I have not tried it.

If you use glasses or plan to demo the headset to other, get some spacers for the lenses or even prescription lens ad-ons.

Only use a lens cloth when cleaning the lenses as to not get spots in the protective coating.

If you have any good experiences please share them, as there are too few appraisal for vr games out there..!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Here's a solution that will work for most people (as long as hardware and software is still up to the task): Avoid smooth locomotion in games like this like the plague.

Teleportation and room scale is the best way of locomotion in this context. And the second-best alternative may simply be to stick to some cockpit seated games.

v6Ha3kL.png

Edit: Regarding "VR legs". Idk.. It can be partially true in some cases, but I wouldn't recommend pushing for VR legs with smooth locomotion at all if you can avoid it. The original Oculus DK1 put me out of commission with motion sickness for 5 days, it was a really shitty experience.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
You have to get your "VR Legs". When I got my Quest 2 I first played Beat Saber and everything went fine because it's stationary. Then I switched to Drunken Bar Fights and I was having a ton of fun, and using the free movement, and after like 20min. I got soooo fucking motion sick. I puked in the front yard and felt dizzy even the next day.

I didn't truly get my VR legs until RE4VR. In order to avoid motion sickness I would turn my body in the direction I wanted to go and act like I was walking/running by marching in place. It really helped my brain. I would also immediately stop playing if I felt motion sick, then return after a break. After a few days of that I broke through and got my VR legs and from there I could play anything. The only thing that got me a little was the game Resist that has you swinging by buildings, sometimes spinning out of control at close proximity and that would make me a little motion sick.
I puked my guts out the other week from the game OP was playing, After the Fall. I spun an office chair in the game and it spinning so ridiculously fast that my brain freaked out. Tried to power through but told my coop buddy I had to dip out. After I cleaned myself up and brushed my teeth I joined back in to finish the level but man, it was brutal! 🤣😅

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just take a bunch of Dramamine a half hour before you play.

Miles708

I'm weak but what kinda (kinda) worked for my short time on VR was to play seated and, if you can, use a fan aimed straight to your face. I read this online and i thought it was silly and useless but it actually helps quite a bit.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Again, you really need to be playing games where you move in real space with your real body. I've had so many family members try the Quest2 over the past several years, of all ages, and no one got sick from games like SuperHot or anything else where you move in space. Save "in-game motion" games for later, use your real motion.

Beechos

The iron man game would do a pretty good job of making you throw up. Oh wait if you just have a psvr 2 not sure if iron man is avail on it.

A web slinging spiderman psvr 2 was be amazing.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The iron man game would do a pretty good job of making you throw up. Oh wait if you just have a psvr 2 not sure if iron man is avail on it.

Spider-Man 2 - 'spiderman'
Ironically, I never got sick in Iron Man but did feel very nauseated while playing simpler games like Astrobot 😄

SilentUser

What you are feeling is very common to any VR headset for newcomers. And honestly, you chose a very hard one for VR newbies: not only it is a somewhat ugly game, it features reprojection and, most importantly, it is very heavy in action. I recommend you leaving this game aside for a little bit.

Some easier games to play and get used to VR, imo: Demeo, Red Matter, Moss, Tetris, Puzzling Places, Beat Saber.

After a while, whenever you feel like playing After the Fall or other action oriented game, I recommend playing it with teleport movement + snap turn (45º imo). Also, test other comfort options for a while. You will probably be able to drop teleport movement soon and start using smooth movement, which is far cooler. Smooth turn might take you a while and, honestly, snap turn is fine.

One final advice: as soon as you start feeling ill, stop playing. Remove your headset, go do other things in the real world and then, if you are feeling fine and wanting to try again, play a little bit more. Always stop when you feel sick.

I remember the first time playing a VR game: Derail Valley on a RIft S. It was so freaking bad when moving the character, had not a single comfort option turned on! Now everything is fine when I play with my PSVR2. Don't worry, you will likely get there, too!

PanzerCute

It happens to almost everyone no worries. Start with games with no smooth locomotion, avoid games like FPS at first or play theme in very short session.

It took me 5 days to get my VR legs on PSVR2, my strategy was to play for 5 minutes, then take a break, then play 10 minutes, then 15 etc..

If you start to feel dizzy, stop right away, but really in no time you will be able to play 3 hours straight without thinking about it.

Oh and one thing that helps a lot at the beginning is to take ginger gums and have a blowing fan facing you.

Edit: oh and man please dont sleep on Red Matter 2, it will blow you away. This might be the most "next gen moment" I had since the PS5 released.

Last edited:

zephiross

What works for me is to play in a rather cold environnement, and with light clothes. I get less nauseous this way.

It also depends on the type of games as other have said. I can play racing games for hours without effect, but thigns like HL:Alyx or Boneworks I have to be more cautious.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I thought all PSVR games are BC with PSVR2?
No, the tracking tech is completely different and prevents PSVR games from being compatible with PSVR2. Lots of indie developers have brought their games over with a free update or $5 charge. Sony of course hasn't done shit on their end, lol. It's a shame because PSVR has a surprisingly solid library of games.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I recommend Superhot VR to everyone getting into VR.
It's completely room-scale, no locomotion, no snap turns, no smooth turns, no moving scenery, and is as fast/slow as you want it to be.
Its VR entry barrier is as low as it can get, not to mention it's one of the best playing legacy VR titles.
As I said above, completely agree--this is what you need for VR, natural room-scale experiences. Trying to go seated first and play games where the fictional character moves in a world while you're still is the wrong approach entirely. Again, I've been introducing people of all ages to VR for years across my extended family, and no one ever gets sick from the roomscale experiences.

That said, is Superhot even available on PSVR2? It would be a huge omission if not, but at a glance online it seemed like this is one of the ports from PSVR1 that might not have made it. The lack of easy ports is one of the many major problems with PSVR2 since launch.

Last edited:
Start with porn
lol, as though the worst offenders would not actually be porn, everytime they move the cam and not have it on a tripod or whatever. Funny feelings.

Sudden camera movements are terrible in everything I guess, but other than that I have not really found an element that really is defining. Wipeout (incl its comfort blinders and whatever) worked wihtout any issue whatsoever, while Driveclub makes me dizzy instantly. Low framerate I guess? I also don't know about VR legs. Games I can stomach I can play pretty much endless, while others become just sickening after some time and trying to push through definitely won't help.

Top Bottom