• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to VR and I want to throw up any suggestions?

Drizzlehell

Banned
1. Avoid games that give you major vertigo until you develop better VR legs.
2. Whenever you have the option, switch to teleport locomotion and enable vignetting for any movement that doesn't involve head tracking; also enable snap-turning because the carousel effect from smooth turning is the single worst stimulus that can cause vertigo. I know you said it's immersion-breaking but until you develop VR legs, you'll just have to take it easy.
3. Games where your in-game avatar's body remains stationary are the best for a beginner. You could check out Moss: Book 1 & 2 for that, for example. Although be careful with games with a cockpit gameplay, such as racing or flight sim games. Generally it's best if the actual cockpit obfuscates a lot of the outside surroundings because then it kinda works similarly to vignetting by covering most of the nausea-inducing motion.
4. Play games standing as much as possible, it helps in getting used to VR quicker.

Besides that, I'm afraid that you'll just have to tough it out. I feel your pain because I have major motion sickness and it took me about 6 months before I got used to VR. I literally barfed on my first day of VR'ing when I put on Elite Dangerous and attempted to leave space dock, lol. But the good thing is that it will go away eventually, you just have to take it easy. You may still get some cold sweats and get tired quickly, even in the more comfortable games, but sooner or later it will stop bothering you completely.

Also, I think After The Fall is a pretty rough game to start with, as it's prone to lag and the visuals are muddy, which can also contribute to your eyes getting tired super fast.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Was so excited to get my PS2VR setup and installed. Started playing some games and within 5 minutes felt sick. Can GAF please tell me or give me some insight how to learn to enjoy or train my brain to use VR. One thing I noticed was turning is horrible the jumping to positions immersion breaking and the mode to use controller movement seems to be sluggish and choppy which messes me up also. I was playing After the Fall.

Does the Quest or other VR's different or am I just one of those who will not be able to enjoy it.
play 1 moth from your sofa & don't play in stand position

Krathoon

I have just started messing around with my old Rift S.
Skyrim VR is just as bad as the original. You have to mod it to get it like the Special Edition.
I was also playing The 7th Guest VR.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm very sensitive to motion sickness so just play stationary stuff like Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Mini Golf, What the Bat, etc. I have a good enough time with those.

My kids adjust to it so fast, they're full on barreling around in Gorilla Tag going crazy. I went in to it for 30 seconds one time to turn off the voice chat for them and almost fell over.
Yeah my kids were riding the most extreme Rollercoasters right off the bat with no problem, that's the one thing that still makes me break out in a sweat and gets my stomach rolling. I got my VR legs playing Pavlov turning for real instead of with sticks.

buenoblue

Haha. This reminds of when I got my DK1. I was so excited and pre-ordered and when it finally arrived the first thing I tried was the unreal rollercoaster demo. Ran the demo like 3 or 4 times and then spent the rest of the night pale as fuck and feeling sick. That's when I knew VR would never be mainstream lol.

Romulus

Haha. This reminds of when I got my DK1. I was so excited and pre-ordered and when it finally arrived the first thing I tried was the unreal rollercoaster demo. Ran the demo like 3 or 4 times and then spent the rest of the night pale as fuck and feeling sick. That's when I knew VR would never be mainstream lol.

2021 the best-selling VR was 5 million units and that took 5 years.

2022 it was 20 million and that took 2 years.

StueyDuck

You learn by just playing more. You just naturally become adjusted to it.

Don't push yourself to play something sickening, it may effect you so badly that you don't want to play again.

In terms of coping with sickies, try not go for too long a sessions, seated games are always more comfortable, train yourself to manually turn less and rely more on controller rotation like you would normally play a game, have a fan or something in the room that helps you adjust to a direction as being "straight", figure out the turn rotation speed that works for you early on and try copy it in all games going forward, finally and this is just a personal preference, choose head movement direction instead of hand movement dircetion.

In terms of games, good to start with more static games like job simulator, but honestly most games do a good job at mitigating sickness these days, avoid older gen 1 titles basically.

Last edited:

buenoblue

2021 the best-selling VR was 5 million units and that took 5 years.

2022 it was 20 million and that took 2 years.
Dont get me wrong I love VR I'm on my like 6th headset and I kick-started the Quest. But before ps VR and quest came out the buzz was crazy and every site and podcast was saying VR is the future.

I myself was thinking imagine playing GTA and COD and Fifa in VR it's gonna be awesome.

But no one took into account the act of moving around in VR can cause nausea. So games are designed around simple Wii like experiences. Yeah there's some full on VR stuff but the majority of people can't stomach it.

But yeah the reality vs the hype didn't quite meet you got to admit.

keefged4

Push through until the novelty wears off in about a weeks time, finish Alyx and then realise the remaining vast swamp of VR "Experiences" and shovelware aren't worth buying into.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dont get me wrong I love VR I'm on my like 6th headset and I kick-started the Quest. But before ps VR and quest came out the buzz was crazy and every site and podcast was saying VR is the future.

I myself was thinking imagine playing GTA and COD and Fifa in VR it's gonna be awesome.

But no one took into account the act of moving around in VR can cause nausea. So games are designed around simple Wii like experiences. Yeah there's some full on VR stuff but the majority of people can't stomach it.

But yeah the reality vs the hype didn't quite meet you got to admit.
Like I said my kids adapted to it in seconds. My wife meanwhile gets motion sick with regular 3D games. It took me awhile but now I can play something like Pavlov running around without a hint of motion sickness. Thr mixed reality stuff might help ease people into it a lot better.

buenoblue

Like I said my kids adapted to it in seconds. My wife meanwhile gets motion sick with regular 3D games. It took me awhile but now I can play something like Pavlov running around without a hint of motion sickness. Thr mixed reality stuff might help ease people into it a lot better.
But it's not like a phone or console or PC where it's like a necessity and everyone has one.

GymWolf

I had to read that title twice...

3SiA.gif

Don Carlo

You've already got some great advice on here, so I doubt that I can add much, but yeah, start off with easy games, work up your muscle memory, and go from there.

Romulus

Kinda of a strange phenomenon. I've lived in 3 different cities since 2016 when I started VR gaming and demoed it to hundreds of people by now. Only a handful actually got motion sick. Zero vomiting or anything remotely similar to that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My go-to is to use teleporting motion.
Or at the very least SNAP TURNING. I still use snap turning and I am a vr veteran

Thread title change? If you want to throw up get something with plenty of uncommanded roll rotation. If the horizon starts rolling off its plane your brain loses all reference and will get sick right quick, just make sure you’re sitting down.

Hohenheim

I finished resi evil 7 in VR in two evenings on ps4, using the normal controller. Had no issues at all.
But when trying out Half Life Alyx earlier this year (via meta quest 2, connected to PC), it made me feel horrible. So for me I guess sitting still and using a normal controller instead of having to interact with the environment with my hands was good. Sad, because HL Alyx was stunning!

I’m seriously aghast when people say they tried X and it made them sick so they can’t play it. It takes practice y’all, I know nausea is uncomfortable but you gotta get back on that horse. It’s not gonna kill you and you might even have some fun with your expensive toy. Do quit playing immediately when you feel sick, but then come back to it again later and it’ll get easier.

Edit: I know there’s people who naturally have more issues with VR in general, I think anybody can improve their experience through proper setup and practice but if it just seems incompatible with you my condolences, the tech will catch up before long your brain won’t know the difference.

Last edited:

Romulus

I’m seriously aghast when people say they tried X and it made them sick so they can’t play it. It takes practice y’all, I know nausea is uncomfortable but you gotta get back on that horse. It’s not gonna kill you and you might even have some fun with your expensive toy. Do quit playing immediately when you feel sick, but then come back to it again later and it’ll get easier.

Edit: I know there’s people who naturally have more issues with VR in general, I think anybody can improve their experience through proper setup and practice but if it just seems incompatible with you my condolences, the tech will catch up before long your brain won’t know the difference.

I remember people claiming they were getting sick in the early days of 3d gaming. lol

Krathoon

Yeah. I have not messed with Alyx yet. That one may give me motion sickness. Astro Bot made me sick.

Snap turning is really convenient. You can just immediately put yourself in the right perspective.

Skyrim VR has this annoying turning that really does not work. I think there is also snap turning.

I tried to mod Skyrim VR, but the Wabbajack app will not install the mod list I want.

Krathoon

What is great about VR is that it is more stimulating than just playing a game.

It feels more satisfying and you really get a deeper look at the game.

Wonko_C

Just sell it on eBay, and hope in 10 years time, things will be improved.
Back in 2005 when I played Half-Life 2, motion sickness got me so bad I sold my PC and hoped for things to improve in 10 years time.

I remember people claiming they were getting sick in the early days of 3d gaming. lol
Japan got it bad back then! Many Japanese players complained about motion sickness in the 32/64-bit era. Didn't they change the camera perspective in the Spyro the Dragon games because everybody was having motion sickness? Imagine if that happened with today's cancel culture, motion sickness could have killed the PlayStation! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What is great about VR is that it is more stimulating than just playing a game.

It feels more satisfying and you really get a deeper look at the game.
I played Metroid Prime with the VR fork of the Dolphin emulator and I was noticing a lot of details I missed out on when I played it on TV, and that is a 2002 game! I guess you can't avoid missing on such details when everything is real life-sized and surrounding you in 360 degrees. Even stuff like Street Fighter 6 with the VR mod I was like "Was this background character always there? I've never seen him when playing on the TV."

Last edited:
Back in 2005 when I played Half-Life 2, motion sickness got me so bad I sold my PC and hoped for things to improve in 10 years time.

Japan got it bad back then! Many Japanese players complained about motion sickness in the 32/64-bit era. Didn't they change the camera perspective in the Spyro the Dragon games because everybody was having motion sickness? Imagine if that happened with today's cancel culture, motion sickness could have killed the PlayStation! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I played Metroid Prime with the VR fork of the Dolphin emulator and I was noticing a lot of details I missed out on when I played it on TV, and that is a 2002 game! I guess you can't avoid missing on such details when everything is real life-sized and surrounding you in 360 degrees. Even stuff like Street Fighter 6 with the VR mod I was like "Was this background character always there? I've never seen him when playing on the TV."
Hell, even HL2 in VR you stop every couple of minutes and notice new details that I haven’t noticed 16 years after release lol.

Wonko_C

Hell, even HL2 in VR you stop every couple of minutes and notice new details that I haven’t noticed 16 years after release lol.
BTW: I never liked the Half-Life games until Alyx (partly because of that motion sickness episode with HL2), then went back to HL2 with the VR mod and I'm hooked. To top it off, no motion sickness at all now, not even in the vehicle sections, and I play with zero assists.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. When you are actually in the game, you will notice all kinds of things that you did not notice before.

Also, it makes you appreciate how the game renders stuff.

Sometimes, the game looks a little more fake because you are close up to the graphics. That is kind of the trade off.

Krathoon

I was going to try the Elden Ring VR mod.

That might be too intense.

I already put the mod on Horizon Zero Dawn.

Moochi

Room scale VR is the best if you have the set up and the space. There's no mismatch between body and brain. Mix this with teleportation and it's the best you can get without and omnitreadmill.

Wonko_C

Room scale VR is the best if you have the set up and the space. There's no mismatch between body and brain.
A game like Tea For God is something else, you do all the walking with no need for teleportation or stick movement. I miss playing it but my current room has no space for it.

Top Bottom